VMAs

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

And today a new track released between Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus called...wait for it...TWERK! I kid you not.

2. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm not positive about the teddy bears, but this is the explanation I got on a homeschooling message board: apparently there is a subculture of people who like to dress up in furry stuffed toy-like costumes, get together, role play, and go to conventions. One of the ladies stated that her husband stayed in a hotel where there was a "fuzzie" convention and people were all over the hotel dressed up in their fuzzy costumes, and having sex all over the hotel, in the elevators, corridors, wherever they could. :eek: :what:

That's the homeschoolers' take on the bears, anyways...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

3. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the VMA's and don't really care to (ahhhh the ripe old age of 37, I am) but I've seen pictures of Miley's performance on facebook. I will reiterate what I wrote on a friend's photo post: "Now I need to bleach my eyes!" OYE!

4. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Actually, there was a CSI episode where a murder was committed at one of these conventions. It was many years ago, and in Vegas. I remember it! I thought that was SO weird!!!! I can handle people in science fiction costuming, but teddy bears??? I suppose you can be truly anonymous in that outfit.

5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Yeah. The Bieber freaks in my home room played it for me today. It's as craptacular as you are imagining it is....

6. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Oh c'mon, those are some brilliant lyrics there: ""I came up in this party time to twerk!"

7. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

That is truly the most random reference ever!
    However, it is very apt.

Actually, they're called furries and there are entire subcultures dedicated to plushophilia and erotic anthropomorphic art. I've known some interesting people in my life ...:shuffle:

In any case, I don't think that's what Miley et al were considering when they came up with that stage show, I think they just thought they were being edgy. I think the stuffed bears were less disturbing than the random woman whose butt she was groping.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I already had a foam finger phobia and now I can't even look at them. And I have baseball tickets 4 times in a week coming up.

9. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

So I watched the video for her song and given that, I guess we shouldn't have been that surprised at the VMA performance. :lol: Not quite as much tongue wagging but still pretty bad.

10. heckles

Cyrus and Thicke have proven that our tattered nation needs a unifying event that the likes of Teddy Roosevelt could have waged. Maybe some new national parks would work. Yes, that's it. That tongue of Cyrus was a rallying cry to open new plains for the buffalo to roam.

11. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Honestly I thought Miley was going to shove a dildo up her butt next to one of those bears, and then take a crap all over the audience. That is how gross I thought she was. If that is the mood she was going for, it worked. Say what you want about Britney, but the two don't even compare. She looked like a total desperate dope.

12. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Blurred Lines lyrics

Which include:

13. heckles

You left out the best part!

14. PrincessLeppard

I don't think the song is so much about "blurred lines" (though he is trying to get her high to lower her inhibitions) as much as it about society's attitudes towards women who like sex, and more than just vanilla sex. Like, "hey, baby, I know society will judge you for wanting to get freaky, but I'm totally cool with that and won't slut-shame you."

But that's harder to rap about than "blurred lines."

15. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Why, that's almost prophetic.

16. PrincessLeppard

"as long as you don't hump a teddy bear with a foam finger, because, baby, that's even too weird for me."

;)

uyeahu and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

You just have foam finger issues.

18. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

So, in the video, when she has a stop sign sticking out of her butt, he's saying that he's totally cool with the fact that she wants to get freaky and that she is saying no to plain vanilla sex?

I didn't see it that way. I definitely didn't see it as society's attitude's about women who just want "vanilla sex." I interpreted about what he thinks a woman really wants when she says she just wants vanilla sex. "You know you want it" or "she wanted it" are lines men often say when women really don't want it. I can totally understand why people find the lyrics to be about rape or at least reflecting the kinds of attitudes that might lead to rape.

Robin Thicke himself has said that the inspiration for the song was the vibe of old men catcalling girls passing by. (I don't think he thought those girls really wanted those old men.) He also said that the video was designed not only to include bestiality and drugs, but everything that is completely degrading to women. He said he thought it would be fun.

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/20...g-with-2-chainz-and-kendrick-lamar-mercy.html

19. PrincessLeppard

I haven't seen the video. I'm just going by the lyrics as I interpret them. Others may see it differently. It's. cool.

20. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:shuffle:

21. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

The one song that really creeps me out and seems "rape-y" to me is Enrique Iglesias' "Tonight (I'm F*cking You)" (or Loving You in the censored version). Even if she does "want" him like he thinks she does in the song, what if she didn't feel like it that night? Also, the fact that he states as something HE is going to do to HER, rather than something they would do together adds to the sleaziness.

On topic, I didn't watch the VMAs and from the few pictures and very brief clips I've seen have no desire to watch Miley's "performance." :shuffle:

22. heckles

Eh, that song and video are far beyond catcalling, which in itself a lot of women say they don't like. Weird reasoning this guy has:

Does being married with kids somehow confer a status that makes perving on younger women somehow less pervy?

23. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

There's an article on Yahoo today about how the inventor of the foam finger does not approve of the way it was befouled by Billy Ray's bundle of joy. He thinks, however, that the foam finger will perservere and triumph over these dark days in what has been an otherwise meaningful life. You're not alone, PL. You're not alone.

24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Good fun! Party at the Thicke's house. Bring the kids. Just look for the dude who is 100% Thicke.

25. PrincessLeppard

26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The foam finger will be fine! An antibiotic or two should do the trick.

27. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

The Foam Finger Went To Miley's Crack And All It Got Was This Lousy Clap

(My apologies to Freddy for ripping off his best PBP thread title)

28. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

This has been all about Miley Cyrus and Mr. Thicke. But -

Book Ends of the show - I enjoyed Lady Gaga; at least she tries to entertain the audience with a catchy rhythm, and I think she's got a good set of pipes for a pop star. Katy Perry - nothing against her but meh. I guess that means something: I just don't feel anything when she sings or performs; no hook to pull me in.

Slim pickings. As a teen of the 80s, is this all the VMA's have to offer nowadays ? I shudder in considering my mortality to think Justin Timberlake is an elder spokesperson for VMAs

29. PrincessLeppard

I was thinking back on some of the better VMA performances. My favorite is, naturally, Def Leppard in 1989, when they did "Tear it Down."

It was Steve Clark's last performance with the band. :fragile:

30. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I think this current song isn't as catchy as almost anything on her last album. But if you want a Katy Perry performance that will make you feel something, watch this, just bring tissues. Also, I realize that the feels don't come from Katy herself, and I'm sure she'd agree, but it's definitely worth watching.