VMAs

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Aug 27, 2013.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Aside from the trashy content, the whole dance was awkward and Miley came across as trying way too hard. I was cringing and looking away. The other artists in the audience looked uncomfortable.

2. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I teach at an all-boys high school. Today, in the few free minutes they had before the bell, they were talking amongst themselves about the VMA's, with me of course pretending not to be listening. Overwhelming consensuses was "Miley is disgusting", "wouldn't touch her". I was very pleasantly surprised.

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I simply cannot wait to see what Honey Boo Boo has in store for us in ten years when she decides to stick it to Mama June.

PRlady and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

From what I've seen of that family, sticking it to Mama June would involve getting a college education and having a baby with someone you're married to.

5. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Yes, I suppose American Ballet Theatre would decline to choreograph to lyrics such as, "I'll give you something big enough to tear your a** in two."

6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

no, but even some $10 strippers have rhythm and can put on a show. miley dances like some drunk spring breaker right before she starts to hurl. or some poor victim of st vitus dance

7. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I don't think Robin Thicke's song blurred lines is a rape like song. I video for We don't stop is a party like sexually intense video. I guess folks had not seen the video and were surprised by on stage performance.

I did think licking the teddy bears butt was too far.

If you look at the performance with Robin Thicke, he looks a little shocked like "we didn't rehearse this". I wonder what his wife Paula Patton thought of it.

8. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Miley does not have an ass, so I don't what she is doing. She does the same thing in the video.

9. heckles

Paula said she's cool that he pervs on topless chicks in his video, so she doesn't have a lot of room to complain about what happened at the VMAs. Apparently, she's okay with it all. Thicke was probably shocked that someone out-sleazed him.

10. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

You're quoting tmz's sources? I don't put much salt into what tabloid bloggers state as " a source close to...". The majority of stuff written about people is false and this I know from personal experience.

11. heckles

Even if TMZ is incorrect in this case, she's been all over television claiming that she is cool with her skeezer-hubby's video. So, the original point stands.

12. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

nm

13. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Again, how do you know she was okay with IT ALL as you stated? However, I'm interested to know what behavior in the unrated version of the video lead you to believe that the nudity in the video was different than any other nudity in movie or tv show that other actors do?

Also, Diane Martel directed both Blurred Lines and Cyrus' We Won't Stop Videos.

14. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

15. my little pony

prancer, thank you for making it like school

16. Prancer

You're welcome.

And just for you, here's a whole lot more than you ever wanted to know about twerking: http://mentalfloss.com/article/51365/what-origin-twerking

There will be a quiz in Friday. Please don't waste my time or yours by not studying.

4rkidz and (deleted member) like this.
  17. my little pony

oh i'm ahead of you there. i studied it on coursera. i know what it is and that miley isnt doing it right.

18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

TMZ is actually very reliable. They won't print anything they aren't sure of. They often break news first a d report things first and they are almost always right on the money. They are not a tabloid, they are a news outlet focusing on celebrities.

19. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Robin Thicke hasn't been criticized more for the VMAs. I saw his mother on tv being critical of Miley, but she had nothing bad to say about her son and I just rolled my eyes. People definitely have been critical of his video and the song lyrics, though. But, I think they wanted that. They knew that the video was going to be controversial and that the original video wasn't going to be allowed on tv. I saw an interview with Robin where he basically said that and that they already had planned to also do the one they could show on tv. Controversy gets publicity. I don't care for the video or the song, and I'm sure you can see better sleazy nude dancing elsewhere. And Robin certainly is not the first guy to publicly brag about the size of his privates. Not sure if the use of animals is as common though. :lol: The song and video are crass, but some people like crass.

His wife has repeatedly said she likes the videos. I guess that, as long as it's making them money and he comes home to domesticate her and blow smoke in her face, she's good with it.

20. Prancer

Ah. You're THAT student.

Very well, then. I will expect great things from you.

21. heckles

Yes, it's common knowledge that a woman directed Blurred Lines. Simps make that point after they try to pretend that the concerns about the plagiarized‎ shlock in Blurred Lines is about nudity. I guess it's supposed to be impressive that a woman's name is attached to this suckdom, but Cyrus has demonstrated that the lack of a male appendage doesn't keep a person from acting like one.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  22. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

With regards to the teddy bears, I thought they were supposed to be evoking or paying homage to Ted, from the movie Ted? I could be wrong though; that's a section of pop culture that I don't care to keep up on.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think Miley herself has always been fairly trashy and raunchy so this isn't a surprise. What is a surprise is that anyone would still think she was a good role model in the moral sense. She's been photographed without a top (albeit covered) and having physical time with her boyfriend since she was quite young. I do agree that the constant tongue gyrations are worse than the outfit and the bumping and not-so-sexy grinding. But if you are looking for a role model for someone who wants to make a ton of money young and manage to stay in the public eye despite controversy, maybe she is a great role model.

Robin Thicke is trashy too. His song has a catchy tune with sleazy lyrics. Trash meet trash - no loss here.

I didn't watch the VMAs, but I wouldn't think anyone would watch them looking for tasteful entertainment. Don't surprised when entertainers check Disneyland at the door.

24. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Love this! Going to steal it and use it in class tomorrow. (Albeit "quiz on Friday")

25. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Miley needs a tongue scraper.

"Twerking" is a universal and fairly ancient stripper move that has nothing to do with anyone's "culture", unless your culture is the stripper culture. There are those who shove their ass in the air like a baboon in heat every damn song, and the shunners who never do it and are contemptuous of the ass-offerers.

Oh, and it is or was simply called "bending over". Shaking the ass was optional depending on the mood and sobriety of the bend over-er.

Miley is unfortunately not terribly sexy, and I thought she was having a stroke with all that crazy tongue action. She does have a great set of legs, however.

26. heckles

Or, "Regrettable Decisions at Freshman Orientation."

27. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

You did not read Prancer's article, so you have failed. Please report promptly at 9 am to Saturday school for remediation.

I am more traumatized by what she did with the foam finger. I sell foam fingers at my job at the baseball stadium. I'm not sure I can look at them in the same way again.

28. my little pony

!!!!!

since she insists people look at it, she should at least maintain it

29. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

The tongue lolling out of her mouth was one of the least sexy moves I can think of -- it looked either like she was desperately hot, or dying of thirst. Neither of which says sexy to me.

On the fashion front: Taylor Swift would have looked perfect on the red carpet for the Oscars. Selena Gomez's dress seemed appropriately edgy, and Rhianna looked like she'd forgotten what time it was and just ran out the door in her slouch-around clothes. And Miley looked like she'd hooked up with the giant bedazzler before hitting the red carpet. And poor Justin Timberlake is still looking for his bowling team. (Mr. GQ is either going to inspire a really depressing trend for guys or find these pictures as tough to see in ten years as his denim cowboy one looks now.)

30. heckles

Remember that time on Who's the Boss when Tony’s grandfather wanted to be a US citizen but missed the ceremony and died, so Tony got it for him posthumously, and it was a Very Special Episode and for the past 25 years you believed that America's so awesome? Thicke and Cyrus twerked that pride right out of the entire nation.