VMAs

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Aug 27, 2013.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Am I not looking or did no one start a discussion of the MTV video music awards?
  2. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

The horror of Miley Cyrus caused everyone to delete that show from their memories.
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Miley Cyrus is amazing and she is ALL OVER the internet and news today. Yeah, she looked and acted a fool but she is getting more press and word-of-mouth than any of the other artists and that includes the big names who opened and closed the show...Gaga and Perry. Miley just released another great single (Wrecking Ball) and she is probably going to ride this wave of attention to another hit single and a #1 album in October. She knew what she was doing and it worked perfectly. Well played, Miley, well played...
  4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

why can't she keep her tongue in her head? she looks like a giraffe, especially with those hellboy hair horns
  5. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Miley Cyrus was blah, but I think some of the outrage was hilarious, especially from Mika Brezinski. However, I have to commend Miley for getting people to talk about the VMAs.
  6. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

I found Miley hilariously sad. She looked a child acting out, hoping someone would notice her. And Robin Thicke was basically ignoring her.
  7. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

She's all over tv and internet but as a punch line, not as an outstanding artist that blew everyone away with how great it was. I know the entertainment business believes that any publicity is good publicity, but would anybody really prefer to be known as the joke of the month instead of kick-ass musician? Miley's performance was pathetic!
    Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I did not see the whole show; just bits and pieces on CNN. I thought whatever she did was disgusting. Music appeal to one's higher feelings, but somehow many celebrities prefer to appeal to their lowest low.
  9. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

She made Mr. Seaver look like a dirty old man.
    Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

My favorite part of Miley's performance was the crowd shots; during the Justin Timberlake/Nsync and Bruno Mars performances, everyone was up dancing and singing, yet during Miley's, everyone was stone-faced and some looked like they were trying to hold back laughter.
  11. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Miley was way over the top for me personally, she could have done those numbers without being all slutty ..... but guess she's got the last laugh on everyone. She is all anyone is talking about, which I assume was her goal all along. ;)
  12. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:rofl: Way back when he started singing and getting noticed, and before I knew who Robin Thicke was (as in I saw him on TV shows but didn't know his name) I kept wondering why he looked so much like Mike Seaver's dad. Still can't get over how much he looks (and sounds!) like his dad!
  13. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't have cable, so I have only seen Miley's performance. Honestly if she kept her tongue in her mouth it wouldn't have been half as bad (still pretty bad though). Was she trying to be sexy? I'm not sure what that was supposed to be.

And when did performer's stop wearing pants?

Also- Johnny Weir tweeted in was horrible. When HE thinks a performance is over the top awful/outrageous, you know you've gone too far.
  14. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

I hate it when the lackluster offspring of some famous guy from the 1990s tries to prove maturity by acting like a skank.

I wasn't impressed with Miley either.
    uyeahu and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

:lol: That's what I thought. Combining the two of them made crass even more crass. I found the whole thing sad, though. To me, Miley is coming across as kind of pathetic. I guess if she's just looking for short-term attention, it might have worked. But it seems kind of ick and sad to me. You know something's wrong when Nick Cannon's response is to say that he's not going to let his kids be in show business.

ETA: Sometimes less is more. I liked the performance by Macklemore and Lewis (and Lambert and Hudson).
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  16. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

ITA. I must be getting old, because my first thoughts when reading the CNN article were 1) what the hell is "twerking?" and 2) is this Robin Thicke guy I keep hearing about related to the dad in Growing Pains? (and of course a quick google search revealed yes, yes he was) :lol:

I didn't really get what Miley was trying to accomplish besides trying to shed her Disney image once and for all. Honestly I wonder if she would have been better off going in a different direction as an artist- I recall seeing an interview once where she revealed she doesn't even like pop music and is more into rock. With her throaty voice that would seem like a better genre for her (something akin to Paramore maybe). Right now she comes across as a Ke$ha wannabe, IMO.
  17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Kind of? I'd say completely.
  18. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

The obvious comparison is to Brittney’s coming of age performance in the gold lame body suit. But Brittney – at the time – had a smokin’ hot body and didn’t do the weird tongue antics. Miley’s body is okay but not good enough to make something like this work. She would have had to go a Bjork route and do more quirky and less slutty to have a hope of pulling something unusual off. Epic fail on her part.
  19. Skittl1321

Do you mean this one?
    http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/6H.../31/britneyspears-nudebodysuit-jpg_190550.jpg

Brittany looks downright covered compared to what Miley was wearing...
    Also, Brittany didn't behave like a lunatic on stage. That was really what got me more than the outfits. But I also don't know what the hell twerking is, so maybe that is what 'the kids these days' are all doing?
  20. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I went to look and see what is known as tweaking and I was not impressed on single bit. Looks like "shaking your booty" taken to the next step --looking like a bitch in heat and trying to entice a male to help you out.
  21. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

This is one of those things where a young adult is in the unfortunate position of having her growing pains behavior on the national stage. I like Miley and I like her energy and can sympathize with a 20 year old desire to be cutting edge (or what you think is cutting edge). Hopefully she has enough internal gravitas to navigate through this.
  22. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

Or accepts better advice about how to accomplish her goals.

But since the wretched "We Can't Stop" turned out to be a hit, who knows? I thought the most :confused: part of the whole thing was that MTV bleeped out "molly" but left in, well, everything else.
  23. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

I must be older than all of you- don't know what "twerking" is, have seen several references to "Molly" but don't know what that is either. Also, what was up with the teddy bears??

Has Robin Thicke made any public statements about it? Here's a guy, mid-thirties, that hasn't had huge mainstream success until "Blurred Lines." I believe it was his first VMA performance and like it or not, he had the song of the summer. It was his "moment" that was totally overshadowed. He can't be too happy. During the performance, he was basically ignoring her while she was grinding all over him. Wonder who told him it would be a good idea??? I wonder what his wife thinks??

The whole thing was gross.
  24. Skittl1321

Molly is a drug nickname, can't recall for what- heroin maybe? It's like calling marijuana Mary Jane.

No idea what the hell is up with the teddy bears, though they appear in the video too (honestly, the video is worse than the VMA act, I just watched that...) The thing that is slightly better about the video is that the teddy bear people are not all black women. I think Miley is getting a TON of (deserved) heat about cultural appropriation of the twerking and a virtual minstrel show and objectification of black women (The butt slapping has really upset quite a few bloggers too, but the not at all subtle 'these women are animals'- eek) in addition to her slut shaming for the gross performance she put on.
  25. znachki

znachki Active Member

26. znachki

znachki Active Member

delete
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  27. Prancer

Twerking is a way of shaking your butt. That was a new one for me.

Molly is a nickname for Ecstasy. That one I already knew.
  28. Prancer

Twerking is a way of shaking your butt. That was a new one for me.

Molly is a nickname for Ecstasy. That one I already knew.

Forbes apparently admires Miley's entrepreneurial style: http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackoma...iggest-winner-at-vmas-despite-lack-of-awards/
  29. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

:lol: I see what you did there.

On the one hand....how totally....expected. Every coming of age former teen pop star goes through the slutty phase. And, let's face it, dancers are supposed to express physically the nature of the music they're dancing to. Miley's dancing around to a song with lyrics described as "rapey". She's not going to be busting out moves from Swan Lake. And she is absolutely the topic of conversation. Not good conversation, but there's no such thing as bad publicity. I bet Lady Gaga thought that her thong was going to be the topic of conversation. Wrong.

On the other hand....you're given a huge stage and audience of millions....why not try to aim higher than the lowest common denominator? When Madonna was ripping off previous cultural phenomena, it involved mimicking Marlene Dietrich and Marie Antoinette. Miley's mimicking the ratchet-est of video hos. Unless there's some sort of obscure Japanese subculture that she's referencing with the bears and the tongue? (Seriously, what's with the tongue?)
    dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Skittl1321

From what I've been told "that's what white people think it is".

Kind of like how "white people got the Harlem Shake all wrong".

Being "white people" though, I really don't know.
  31. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Aside from the trashy content, the whole dance was awkward and Miley came across as trying way too hard. I was cringing and looking away. The other artists in the audience looked uncomfortable.
  32. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I teach at an all-boys high school. Today, in the few free minutes they had before the bell, they were talking amongst themselves about the VMA's, with me of course pretending not to be listening. Overwhelming consensuses was "Miley is disgusting", "wouldn't touch her". I was very pleasantly surprised.
  33. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I simply cannot wait to see what Honey Boo Boo has in store for us in ten years when she decides to stick it to Mama June.
    PRlady and (deleted member) like this.
  34. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

From what I've seen of that family, sticking it to Mama June would involve getting a college education and having a baby with someone you're married to.
  35. heckles

Yes, I suppose American Ballet Theatre would decline to choreograph to lyrics such as, "I'll give you something big enough to tear your a** in two."
  36. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

no, but even some $10 strippers have rhythm and can put on a show. miley dances like some drunk spring breaker right before she starts to hurl. or some poor victim of st vitus dance
  37. topaz

topaz New Member

I don't think Robin Thicke's song blurred lines is a rape like song. I video for We don't stop is a party like sexually intense video. I guess folks had not seen the video and were surprised by on stage performance.

I did think licking the teddy bears butt was too far.

If you look at the performance with Robin Thicke, he looks a little shocked like "we didn't rehearse this". I wonder what his wife Paula Patton thought of it.
  38. topaz

topaz New Member

Miley does not have an ass, so I don't what she is doing. She does the same thing in the video.
  39. heckles

Paula said she's cool that he pervs on topless chicks in his video, so she doesn't have a lot of room to complain about what happened at the VMAs. Apparently, she's okay with it all. Thicke was probably shocked that someone out-sleazed him.
  40. topaz

topaz New Member

You're quoting tmz's sources? I don't put much salt into what tabloid bloggers state as " a source close to...". The majority of stuff written about people is false and this I know from personal experience.