Vivat Rex, Vivat Regina!: The Royalty Thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Fergus, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Princess of Orange :slinkaway

2. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Hehe... that would work if there really weren't a Princess of Orange. :)

I was browsing though a royal gallery on Hello!, and came across this photo of Princess Caroline's 3 eldest children. Such hotness should not be allowed in one family.

3. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Tell me about it nerdycool. Especially Andreas.

The last pictures of Stephanie I've seen were from The Red Cross Ball a few months ago and she's one tough looking lady these days. I think she's trying to concentrate her efforts into the AIDS Foundation she started earlier in the Fall (?). IIRC, she's also an UN Ambassador for AIDS too, but I could be wrong about that. I do know the Crown Princess of Norway is one for sure, but can't remember if Stephanie is as well at the moment.

A listing of the biggie Royal Events coming up and I'm going by memory here...

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh pay a State Visit to Ireland

Prince Phillip's 90th Birthday and Trooping The Colour (Both on the same day)

Zara Phillips' Wedding in Scotland

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's Tour of Canada and the US

Prince Albert of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock's Wedding

For those who adore Tiaras...If you get a chance to find the special issue of Country Life that's out there to mark William and Catherine's Wedding, there's a drop dead stunning two page spread of Tiaras in there. Some I've never seen before. One of those being a Ruby and Diamond one w/Cresent Moons and Stars and...*drools*

4. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

She's so adorable! It makes me a little sad that they are so private with Lady Louise. I understand protecting her from potential cruelty, but she's a cute little girl and it makes wonder if her eye condition didn't have more to do with it.

The British Monarchy has a Flickr page, which they update regularly: http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishmonarchy/with/5709838468/

5. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

6. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

7. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Love the Queen's hat!

Is that the President's husband with the DofE? His tie matches the president's suit.

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Couple of questions:

1) What is Prince Williams last name? I have never thought about it!

2) Does Kate Middleton make a ton of money off of all the things being sold with her name and image? I just saw a commercial for some giant doll that is her in an exact replica of her wedding dress. The commercial had a disclaimer that she does not endorse the product but they do have to pay her for it, right? Can you use someone's image for profit without their permission which usually comes only if they get a cut.

9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

1) Legally, I think it's Mountbatten-Windsor, but he goes by William Wales. Officially, he (like his father and grandmother) would just sign royal documents "William"

2) You can't use a person's image for commercial purposes without their permission. Unless there's some separate law for royals, which I doubt (I mean, the queen doesn't get a cut of the stamps afaik) she would have to permit them to use her likeness and name. Hence why you'll see things like "Princess Doll!" that looks OBVIOUSLY like Kate or Diana or whomever the royal it girl of the moment is, but it's just different enough they don't have to get permission. Whether or not they're paid for their imaage would depend on teh contract (they might just require a certain amount go to charity, for example) but they'd need to sign off on use of their name.

10. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

11. Norlite

Norlite New Member

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i just bought a plate with kaiser wilhelm and archduke franz ferdinand. kw probably could have used the $.

13. AragornElessar

14. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

15. AragornElessar

Turns out we've got a Royal skater. Princess Caroline's daughter Princess Alexandra of Hanover has competed in two Competitions.

Coupe d'Avignon results

Coupe d'Improvisation Cannes Azur Patinage 2011 results

So...Someone to keep an eye out for possibly. However, I have a feeling the next time I see a mention of Alexandra around here will be from her Uncle's Wedding in a couple of months from now. :)

16. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

HMQ and President McAleese laying wreaths at the Irish National War Memorial Gardens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDdyzh3AX2s

HMQ visits Guinness! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQyioWeEMDw She's so tiny, I bet that one glass of Guinness would get her nice and buzzed! :rofl:

ETA: Change of clothes and she's off to Croke Park: http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0518/queen.html

According to the itinerary, the State Dinner tonight at Dublin Castle begins at 7:30pm Dublin time (2:30pm US Eastern).

Wondering if RTE or any other broadcaster shows any of the State Dinner "red carpet" live (like they do on C-SPAN in the US)?

:watch:

Parsley Sage, I REALLY dig your guess that she'll be wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara!

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  17. Parsley Sage

If not that one, her wedding tiara. :lol:

ETA - RTE is showing some stuff live!

18. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

19. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Parsley Sage, I think you were right about the tiara! It is indeed the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara. :D

President McAleese in a lovely electric blue coat-dress evening gown.

The receiving line is a riot, some lady in black almost totally skipped shaking the DoE and Dr. McAleese's hands!

20. Parsley Sage

I think I saw someone go through the line and shake hands with the president and HM and then bypassed the DoE and the president's husband :lol:

21. Parsley Sage

very eclectic mix of fashions at the dinner

22. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Seriously! From one-shouldered evening gowns to Friday business casual!!! :lol:

Commercial break for a royal nose powdering! Then dinner and speeches!!!

23. Parsley Sage

THEY CUT OFF THE QUEEN?!?!?!

Ok, I just had to switch links for the feed.

24. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

OMG, the RTE feed just died in the middle of HMQ's speech!!!

WTF?!?!?!

Ok, THIS queen is pissed. :mad:

25. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Where?

Oh well, its over in a couple minutes. :wuzrobbed

26. Parsley Sage

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Which Tiara and other jewelery/decorations is HM wearing?

28. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

It's definitely the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara.

It looked like a Celtic harp-shaped brooch.

Here's a link to a close-up video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwaqpumuDds

29. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

She was also wearing one of her mystery necklaces. The picture of the closeup I linked to was taken when she was in Singapore in 2006, and since she tends to wear gifts from that country during official visits, it's speculated that it was a gift from Singapore.

Picture tonight

Picture of a closeup during a previous outing.

30. AragornElessar

Yesterday was the 40th Birthday of HRH Crown Princess Maxima of The Netherlands. She spent it w/her Husband and Mother in Law presenting The Orange Awards and looked in fine form too.

Maxima, William-Alexander and Queen Beatrix at The Orange Awards Luncheon

Happy Belated Birthday to one of my favourite non British Royals!!! :D

Edited to add...An article about the rumoured ill health of HM King Juan Carlos of Spain.

Monsters and Critics ~ Growing concern in Spain over King Juan Carlos' health

I'd heard about the removal of the lung tumour, but thought he was on the mend, so was shocked when I saw the pictures of the Celebrations welcoming Spain's Soccer/Football Team home after their triumph at last year's World Cup in South Africa. Not only was his colour bad, but he looked incredably frail as well. Any pictures of him since then have been the same. At least the ones I've seen.

He's a man I deeply respect for how he's helped Spain transistion from a Dictatorship into a Democracy. It's so sad to see him looking so ill these days. :(

Last edited: May 19, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.