Virtue/Moir Thread #13 (mach two): S'Wonderful

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Proustable, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

i wonder how this will be acknowledged beyond a little note on the isu website because according to everything in the media, tessa and scott lost the fd and are sore losers for feeling like they had it in them to win that fd... plus, the loss confirmed once again that funny face wasn't good enough.

2. sequins

sequins Active Member

Wow! At first I thought okay what's the catch.? it's not April 1st. I thought it was a joke but wow that's good they admit it. At least it didn't affect the final outcome. I hope that would never happen, it would be:yikes:.
    But anyhow :cheer2:

P.S. Those photos from TEB are stunning. Fabulous work!

3. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Is that error on the GOE of the combination lift a .50 increase in the TES or the PCS part of the score? As I recall, Scott was unhappy with the lower PCS in the FD and losing because of that, rather than the TES, but maybe I'm wrong. So, one could argue that the fall in the SD did cost them the GPF title, as they've been consistently marked well in the SD, and with the correct score on the combination lift, they've also been marked the best with the FD. I wonder if Tracy Wilson would change her comments, now that she realizes they actually won the FD against what is considered a "better" FD from D&W? This just will make worlds even more interesting doesn't it. Maybe it's not a forgone conclusion that D&W will win worlds?

4. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

This is OT and probably already mentioned, but I wonder if Tessa and Scott would skate to something from The Artist? Just got back; loved the film, LOVED the score. I know they've done similar things before, but it would be so cool.

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

The only place I've read that D/W winning worlds as a foregone conclusion is on this thread. ;)

6. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

7. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

I agree, but also read it in the D&W thread, but whatever. I was speaking to the doubters that V&M could not win this year with the FF program.

8. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

That's interesting, I'm not trying to be cynical or pessimistic at all, but this was just a hunch that I got. Even without the 1 pt deduction that T/S got as a result of the fall, I still think D/W would have had a few points over them. And I also feel that if it wasn't for the 5 pt lead D/W had in the SD, the point difference in the FD would have been greater in favor of D/W.
    bbkenn it was on the ISU homepage.

victoriaheidi, what is the artist about. If it has any romantic feel to it, I don't think they should do it cuz a lot of people seem to think every FD they've ever done has a lovey dovey theme and that that's the only theme they are capable of.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  9. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

"That's interesting, I'm not trying to be cynical or pessimistic at all, but this was just a hunch that I got. Even without the 1 pt deduction that T/S got as a result of the fall, I still think D/W would have had a few points over them. And I also feel that if it wasn't for the 5 pt lead D/W had in the SD, the point difference in the FD would have been greater in favor of D/W."
    Sharij

Why, I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say?

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I missed those posts, but then it has been kind of a crazy GP season. :) I would disagree with anyone who said that V/M couldn't win with their current FD.

11. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I guess I'm saying I feel D/W would have won anyways even if T/S had not fallen in the SD. Even if it had been close in the SD, then D/W would have won the competition anyways by scoring significantly higher in the FD. But I don't know it's just how I felt, I have nothing to base this on.

12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think his what all this D-W FD PR made. Before GPF we read a lot off times about masterpice D-W FD, saw very high marks ect. But in reality both FDs had the same score at GPF (before recalculation). And difference in components score was vey small. So i dont think judges think D-W is much better, then FF.
    I think judges have problems with V-M SD.

13. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

You mean at GPF or in general? I don't know, I have a hard time believing that judges have a problem with V-M's SD and not D-W's, at least not performance-wise. It is true, however, that the fall rattled them and it affected the whole program, even if the first BIG mistake came before the fall with Tessa not showing that edge.

14. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think V-M had not such a high marks in SD at TEB.

15. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Pani,

Think back to Olympic year. VM will improve as they go through the season. D&W tend to stagnate after GPF.

A girl can hope!

16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Will see :) I wish this will be close competition, not like 4-65 points between V-M and D-W, like this was at WCh 2011 and GPF ;)
    Cant wait to see what changes they will made in SD and FD andmaybe new costumes.

17. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Absolutely NOT true. Seems to be wistful thinking on your part, but it is definitely not supported by the data.

Look at the Olympic year scores after the GP:

2010 Olympics:
    221.57 42.74 68.41 110.42 V/M
    215.74 41.47 67.08 107.19 D/W

Almost a 6-point difference in the two teams.

2010 Worlds:
    224.43 44.13 70.27 110.03
    223.03 43.25 69.29 110.49

Only 1.4 difference in scores.
    Where V/M had improved by less than 3 points since Vancouver, D/W had upped the ante by more than 7 points.

18. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Yea lol I don't think either team will "stagnate." But Pani I'm thinking you are right about the SD. I also think people are still comparing it to their FD from last year and are waiting to see the same amazing performance they had with their FD in the SD, but I'm not so sure it will live up to that FD (I hope I'm wrong). I wish they hadn't kept the same music, even though it's remixed. And why are people (in another thread and another forum) blaming T/S because the ISU issued a statement due to the calculation error? I mean it was a computer error, it's not like they just found an excuse somewhere so they'll win the FD, but whatever.

Anyways I found this video of a reception for Meryl/Charlie and Tessa/Scott after the Olympics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_hld7SnMAA

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

People blaming Tessa and Scott because of this ISU mistake? I think only people who didnt know a lot about FS could blame them. A lot off teams made 3 lifts in FD and lost there 0,5 points in FD, because they used combination lift. Its not about V-M, but about big ISU mistake.
    I hope T-S have good time with there families and friends and will enjoy there practice time after Holydays.

Thand for this video - didnt saw it before. Werid - why Scott were sittingm when Tessa was standing near this table? :)
    I think that woman, who made photo with Meryl is Igors mother. But i could be wrong.

20. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

By the way, did Tracy Wilson actually say that they couldn't win Worlds with this FD? I have a hard time believing she said that, not so bluntly. Does anyone have a link? People are taken out of context all the time these days.

21. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Somebody did a recap of what Tracy said after the FD and no she didn't say it that bluntly, if I remember correctly the person said Tracy thinks T/S need "something" to beat Meryl and Charlie's FD cuz their is so dynamic and suits them perfectly. I don't know what that "something" is, but it needs to give their FD a wow factor that it doesn't have now for many people. And Pani when I first saw that video I was like why is Tessa standing there like that looking almost like an outsider and nobody offering a seat, but then I thought maybe she wanted to stand.

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I had the same thoughts. :)

23. sequins

sequins Active Member

Anyone that's blaming V/M for this is crazy and hates them anyway. I'm really sure they had something to do with it, nothing better to do over the holidays I guess, GMAFB. It was a freakin' computer error deal with it!

I think their SD is fine honestly and while I think the 5 points was a bit much and I'm not sure why it happened. Maybe they thought overall it affected the perfomance, though I didn't think so. Before this I think their SD was pretty well received and seemed to be their strong point. I wish the fall hadn't happened so we could see for sure but what can you do? They'll figure it out and Worlds will be a nail-biter either way.

24. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I don't agree with the idea that D and W stagnate either as it is clear to me that both teams work like mad to be the best they can be.

However, I don't think comparing their improvement in an Olympic year is an accurate measure.

The commitments and media attention etc for the Olympic champs are incredibly overwhelming and getting the oomph to prepare for Worlds after that victory has been described as incredibly difficult by many Olympic Champs. So much so that many do not attend Worlds afterwards.

I do like "wistful thinking" though! :)

25. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

D/W had a level 4 for their patten dance and V/M had a level 3... That and the fall contributed to the point difference. Not surprisingly, V/M has great connection to each other, D/W connects more to the audience than each other (thinking of the dancy part of the jlo song) - not as Latin!

26. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

She would never have said this or even implied it, since she has previously said several times that she feels this will be a signature piece for them. She thinks very highly of this free dance (as do I).

'Needing something' is not a condemnation of the free dance, IMO. I think it just means they need to find out what the judges are still looking for, and add it. Most likely, it's just a bit more speed in portions of the dance.

27. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

maybe a busier choreography even if it doesnt suit the music? ;)

28. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

That sentiment from others is driving me crazy, too. There is no evil doing or cheating going on. T and S said they were going to go back over their numbers to try to figure some things out. Apparantly they did and caught the error. (I also dislike the insinuation that going back over one's scores is being an ungracious loser... Ack.)

It's not like they hacked the sekret computer over the summer and put in the wrong GOE just so they could make a fuss at the GPF if they didn't win...

At the end of the day, what matters is there was an error with a software program! Someone caught it, pointed it out, and something was done about it. As I said in another thread, would it really have been for the best to have just let the error remain in the software for the whole rest of the season. That's just insanity.

29. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Obviously fans of one or another dance team and V/M haterz......I don't read too much into it, but accept it for what it is.

30. Sahararainfall

Sahararainfall Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.