Virtue/Moir Thread #13 (mach two): S'Wonderful

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Proustable, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proustable

Proustable New Member

After one of my favourite moments from the FD.

What would you like to see them improve in both dances?

2. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I think the SD is solid but since I can't have the original lift I'd like they to sex up the one they have ;)

As for the FD I guess find a way to make the posing parts more flowing. I understand why it's designed that way, they announce a change in the plot and help make the changes in music fit better but it's giving some the impression they aren't doing anything or rather as much as their main competitors. I don't agree with that but because their choreographic dancing in place comes with a music change more attention is drawn to it. Not sure it will work the other way though. I think I understand now why Marina said it's more complicated choreography.

3. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

For the SD, I'd like them to do whatever it takes to get level 4s for the circular non-touch step sequence. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of it - the way they make things look so extended. But I wonder whether the positions (as exquisite as they are) make it hard for them to show strong edges (in comparison to D/W) as the bodies are more upright when they hit them. Any thoughts from someone with a better understanding of the physics of it all would be welcomed.

As for the FD, I agree that it seems that the judges seem to favor busy-looking non-stop choreography. Not sure though whether it is possible to do that while maintaining the mood of the music. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

4. sliver98

sliver98 Banned Member

They need to get rid of the breathing points in the FD and make the coreo more seamless so that the interplay has a permanent feel to it, they need new costumes, Tessa in a nice black dress similar to what the lady has in the movie the artist and Scott a nice white costume and Jacket.

Now the SD get the level 4 on the rhumba sequences, improve the lift, skate closer together in the no touch step sequence.

5. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

a more asymmetrical cut to her SD dress, regardless of the color--if she's really stuck with the blue, that is. to me, that kind of cut says latin more than the current cut of her blue dress.

6. zilam98

i might also want tessa to try a different hairstyle for the SD. instead of the ponytail, she could try braiding her hair or pulling her hair back in a low, tight bun, the way i see a lot of latin dancers do.

7. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I love the hot pink dress with frills she had on for the GPF. Hope she keeps it.

As we have been spoiled by Tessa's constant wardrobe change, I think I am bored with her red dress for the FD. I bet we will see something new at the Canadians.

8. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I think Tessa would rock the proverbially tough to pull off yellow. A primrose yellow dress with capsleaves, simple and streamlined. Hmm a fangal can dream.

9. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I'd like to see them work on the first lift in the FD. The positions they get into in it look awkward,and as a result, they've been losing some GOE on it that they could easily pick up. It's the curved, I believe.

10. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

11. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Lovely Pictures

12. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I never noticed until these photos that Pechelat and Tessa Virtue have similar faces.

13. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Those last three look like they are from that interview at TEB by the OrangeTeam. Looks like they are sitting outside the stadium, same setting.

14. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

Do you mean for the SD or FD?

After reading many comments about the FD red dress, I'm starting to agree that both Scott and Tessa need to have different costumes for the FD. I'm not sure what that would be, but they need to change the look they have right now.

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Yes, it quite looks like the setting Orange Team chose for their post-TEB interviews.:)

Maybe they will make us a nice surprise at the Canadian Nationals. And if they show up in the same costumes, we will keep on posting they'd need to change them until they do.;)

Their top priority though should be that of fixing whatever needs to be fixed in their choreography so that they up their transition scores. I agree with marbri about the posing points in their FD. And I also agree with DORISPULASKI about their first lift.

I want pani to come back.

16. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think that they will work on the choreography - they always do at this point and we will see a wonderful FF for Canadians.

Pani come back!!

17. zilam98

like i said earlier (and someone deleted my post), pani is too big of a fan to stay away ;)

18. kina

kina Member

cbc interview post fd at gpf

all tessa does is string talking points into sentences while scott lays it all out there. she's beaming. he's frustrated. not easy to watch.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  19. sliver98

sliver98 Banned Member

We don`t know what the marks mean anymore:lol: I think we saw a clear shift at worlds last year and the bias for Davis and White.

20. walei

walei Well-Known Member

This totally reminds me of the Kween when she would skate well and get 5.5s and 5.6s from some judges which she then just right there said on camera in the KnC "whatever with those marks...". :lol:

21. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

22. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Lol, yea that was a bit awkward to watch. Poor Tessa it seemed she didn't know what to do except smile. Lavenderblue thanks for the link it was an interesting read.

23. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I like how Bob calls Worlds the real championships. (I love bitchiness)
    He looks so pissed.
    He also says oat instead of out :D

24. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

To play devil's advocate...Euros, 4CC, and Worlds are the only events officially classed as ISU Championships, so perhaps Scott was aiming purely for accuracy of terminology. ;)

25. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, lavenderblue. I agree with Jackie and appreciate how well he lays out his argument.

26. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Totally agree with Jackie.

Pani come back!

27. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Scott once said something like Tessa, while younger than him, is his more mature sister. Do you think he was right?

Thanks for the link.:)

28. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

FD all the way. I actually love the pink dress concept for the sd, with maybe a slight tweak in the cut?

29. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Not really. I think Scott's more open and wears his heart on his sleeve, while Tessa is more reserved and controlled. So suppressing her feelings and keeping to "talking points" in a difficult situation is much easier for her to do.

I like Scott's openness and warmth. The openness put him in hot water here, but I think you know where you stand with a person like that. JMO.

ETA: Normally he handles himself well in interviews. Back when they were teenagers, Tessa was extremely articulate for her age and Scott was bit tongue-tied, and I could imagine him calling Tessa his younger but more mature sister back then. Often girls mature faster than boys anyway. But by the time they reached their twenties, Scott became very comfortable in interview situations. They did a great interview with Team Orange, in which they both gave interesting yet diplomatic answers to some potentially controversial questions. I think the current situation was a particularly emotional moment for him.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  30. Sahararainfall

Sahararainfall Active Member

Maybe. But I’m with flowerpower on this one. This is just another instance where the contrast in their personalities is on display – the extrovert and the introvert. Scott will fire away whatever on his mind and Tessa will keep things polite and proper and private. Sort of like a deep ocean with calm surface but underneath, there are probably sharks screaming “Scott is right, piss off on those PCS scores!” :lol: Sometimes I do wonder how these two who seems to have personalities at the opposite end of the spectrum manage to work so well together without driving each other mad all these years. The yin-yang is a good concept when it comes to art, but I think it’s useless when it comes to the practical day-to-day grind of real life. I guess this is where the respect comes in to big play for them, to be able to meet half-way and work towards a common goal, despite the differences.

lavenderblue
    Thanks for the link. What I find rather fascinating in this case regarding VM and the subject of versatility is that a lot (well maybe some) of the typical figure skating fans (well at least from this forum) seems to have a tendency to first classify an ice dance program by its thematic content, (holding it to the standard of the other 3 disciplines maybe?) whereas a relative outsider like me would listen to the rhythm and look at the type of body movement being used in a program first before analyzing the theme, (which I think is what one usually do in the general world of dance, to classify types of dances into their genre that is). Even the above article arguing for VM’s range failed to mention the word rhythm, a glaring omission at least for me especially when one could argue that rhythm-wise, VM’s FDs have shown they can dance and move their bodies through a host of dance genre. From the arguments I have read before regarding this subject, I somehow get the feeling that in the world of figure skating, an ice dance team who skates to different themes (Love, death, time, space, addiction, or whatever other out there theme) but genre and rhythm wise would probably just be limited to contemporary/theatrical would be lauded as versatile, whereas a dance team who of their own free will have chosen to dance to waltz, Broadway/jazz, ballet, contemporary, and samba is one dimensional because the overriding theme of their FDs is perceived and clumped together as “lovey dovey.” I have to admit, that argument really is perplexing :confused: for me. Perhaps SYTYCD has influenced me too much to ever understand this point view. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.