Virtue ~ Moir n. 20. L’amour est un oiseau rebelle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Sep 8, 2012.

1. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I know Tessa gained a little weight in 2010, but she needed part of that, and in no way did she ever look pregnant, much less in the later stages of pregnancy. There's just so much there that makes zero sense. I do wonder if the psycho/psychotic blogger has an actual mental problem of some sort besides just wanting to be mean.

She'll be back.

2. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

But she has so many supporters--the blogger that is.

3. aka_gerbil

I'm not sure that a good chunk of those anonymous comments aren't the blogger having a conversation with itself.

I can see the blogger's adamancy convincing a few people, but so much of what it says just defies logic.

4. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

I have never visited that blog you are talking about and given all that is being discussed here, I don't think I want to.

I do want to, however, comment on Scott's Facebook page. Some of you are saying that it was weird how he made this page all about himself and never included Tessa. Are you serious? Tessa was all over that page, it clearly was a page made for fans of both athletes. He even updated his profile picture regularly, and most of the time it was a picture with Tessa.

I don't think the blog, blogger, whatever, influenced his decision to shut it down, then again, I haven't read it so maybe I am understimating the power of this person. Maybe he received a few nasty messages? Maybe now that they have a web site he decided that the Facebook page was pointless? Maybe... why is this important anyway? They are private people, clearly they love keeping it that way. As a fan, I do not feel slighted in any way, I don't feel they owe me a day-to-day recount of their activities. I just do not care as long as there is relevant information with regard to their careers. I fail to see why this is an issue or the lack of PR is an issue. They are not athletes in serious need of PR, they are fine.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  5. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

^^^^^ Agree!

The world is filled with gossip vacuums. The tabloids stay in business because of them. At least one poster on that blog was clearly a D/W uber.

After Tessa had her surgery, she would have been much less active. I have heard athletes can consume as much as 10000 calories per day, since they burn it away quickly. Tessa likely had to be on a strict diet after her surgery (easier said than done, as many over-weight people can testify), it would make sense she would gain some weight (for the better IMO). It must be rough for athletes who retire and suddenly become less active. They would need to be on a diet, or blow up into a blimp. However most athletes probably remain reasonably active, because it is a life style to which they are accustom.

6. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Nobody has said he made the page about himself though. The only person that touched on that was me and if you reread my comment again what I said is I thought it was a bit weird that the fb page was only "Scott Moir's" page versus "Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir's" page, which isn't a big deal at all, just found it a bit weird. And when I say he made it too personable, I don't mean he didn't include Tessa in his page, but that there was no boundary on that page, so some fans felt they could go on there and write really awkward things and got their feelings hurt when he wasn't updating as much as they liked.

Look Tessa and Scott don't owe anybody anything, they don't have to appease their fans by updating their lives for us and I think it's over the top that some people would be offended to the point of not wanting to be their fans anymore. But at the same time they are public figures (obviously not to the extent of mainstream celebs) so I don't think having an outlet where they can condense relevant information and update it regularly, is asking for too much. If they are able to achieve that with their new website, then fantastic.

The timing of Scott shutting down the page makes me think it had something to do with the fans that have been complaining about the lack of update on his page, since he basically addressed most of those complaints in his post. But I mean it could all just be a coincidence.

Anyway whatevs, lets just move on from this. I can't wait for Finlandia. I'm really interested to see their program in comparison to C/L's.

clarie and (deleted member) like this.
  7. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

random ... was watching a great singer on youtube sing a taste of honey when i read this comment and thought of tessa and scott and carmen

Lizz Wright has this uncanny talent of taking a song that's been sung upways, downways, sideways and still make it sound soo fresh like it was written for her or that she wrote it herself and find a new direction to take that song to.  Well, frankly I think any old song is lucky to be sung by Lizz.

8. Betta42

Betta42 New Member

A girlfriend posted this in the facebook addicted group and i wanted to share it all with you. "Some people in other forums (FF, FSU) and that stupid blog are getting really really mad at Scott for "shutting down" his page - i would like to just state something that i dont know if everyone is honestly considering, and i dont want to do it in all those places, i am just going to do it here since most of the people in those places come here too - they are not Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber - Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber and the like are in a completely different realm - they got where they are because of the fans, they have all their millions because of the fans - and without the fans they would be nothing as they have said themselves. Their fans are their meal ticket and that is why there is so much more fan outreach from them.
    Scott and Tessa work their butts off day in and day out to get the marks they need to earn their stay in their world, and despite being a sort of famous, they dont "need" the fans like Gaga and Beiber do. Now i dont want the "need" to be taken the wrong way, Tessa and Scott are stupendously grateful for their fans, as they have said time and time again, and i think anyone who has ever met them knows that ten fold, also they wouldnt do meet and greets ect if they didnt appreciate us, the fans... but we dont have anything to do with them winning, or earning their keep, that is all on them and is part of the reason we love them so."

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

who is going mad? :D Realy funny.
    And i cant understand, why "people from other forums" have been identified with someone "stupid blog" :lol:
    Yes, with this PR they not only never could be Lady Gaga :D, but even W-P ;)
    Its there choice, so why people, who was names "stupid" couldnt have there own choice? :D
    Did you realize, they still need to do some promotion for SC, for WCh in London ect. They MUST be a role model for young canadian skaters, no?
    But maybe its just me, because i never understand, why Protopopovs still skating, but never had stuidents and didnt gave all there knowloges to them.

I agree with thoughts about they lost some fans before, because of there PR.
    People spend a lot of money on tikets, hotels, transportation, even on TV-DVD things, So maybe they could ask to have information about will some skaters be at some competitions or no, not like this was in 2010-2011 season ;)

And i am not going mad, just, like i said before, i was tired them to protect ;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  10. Betta42

Betta42 New Member

WOW - all of my answers to your questions have 2 stars - *one before my answer and one after* LIKE SO

11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

OK. I was one, who asked not post negative thing in V-M thread :D
    But i still done understand what kind of fans V- need and how they will choose who could be there fan :D

12. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

What a silly argument. It has been announced they are skating at Finnlandia, SC and CoR. I imagine GPF, 4CC and Worlds announcements would be made when they are actually assigned and/or qualify, it would be cocky to announce it ahead of time ;). We've seen video from HPC announcing music choices so that box is checked and I think it's safe to assume that they are somewhat happy with their training as they are going to start competing in two weeks. They also "warn" you in those short videos that you might not like the polka they had to insert in their SD and that their FD is quite challenging so expect it to take the season to perfect. <--My interpretation of course.

I don't visit skater websites. I'm the type of fan who is all about the skating and visit competition websites, results pages, ISU site. And FSU because I figure if there is any interesting gossip to hear it'll end up here. I also think we've had enough clues over the years that V&M do not have social media as a high priority and that Tessa (at least) might in fact take to heart the idea that skaters and their families should never visit sites like FSU. I think for skaters like V&M, Chan, Pluschenko, K&S etc.. who get more than their fair share of hate online should avoid it. Anything useful that they might pick up from conversations between skating fans can be filtered to them. For me their job is to skate and depending on your sensitivities it might be hard to concentrate on that if you spend too much time interacting online and having to deal with so much negativity.

I'd rather they stayed strong mentally and continued to train and win than to know what they ate for breakfast or answer for the millionth time what their relationship status is. Consider for a moment if you as a fan are tired of protecting them how exhausting it might be for them to have to do that. I think they should stay offline personally.

Finally some people just aren't into this whole social media phenom. You have to keep in mind that while you might be addicted to facebook, twitter etc.. other people have checked out these things and decided it isn't for them and resist. Personally I admire in general anyone who can resist these sites and gets outside and lives their lives instead of sitting somewhere hunched over typing away their lives on cellphones or computers. I'm not one of those yet. I strive to be but I'm still addicted to the internet. Baby steps for me are no more facebook and resisting twitter. There are some benefits to twitter that I recognize such as getting a phonecall yesterday from child asking if I could go online to find out why they had been stuck at the same traffic light for 15 minutes. Within seconds I could tell them of an accident and to pull out a book and study while she waited ;) But the useful moments of twitter are far outweighed by the pointless and often nasty BS that goes on. People getting into arguments and fights over misunderstandings because the typed word has little context and things get blown out of proportion. Minor disagreements turn into full blown arguments as one tweets or posts their impulsive feeling at that moment and everyone and their dog decides to pick sides and give opinions. There are a lot of reasons to avoid these places and if you know your strengths and weaknesses you have to do what is best for you.

13. martyross

martyross Active Member

good post, bmcg! the social network mania is the product of artificial and natural forces inside modern mankind: alienation (artificial) plus narcisism (natural)
    I also totally agree with you, Golightly!
    i think we are all bored for the long waiting!

14. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I very much agree with everything you posted, Bmcg.

15. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Social network is very good thing for people, who had problems with finding freinds in real life, who had problems with socialization - for example for people with the limited possibilities.
    There you could find friends with the same interests, because not always it could be done in real life.
    This made easy your communication with friends and family who is not in your city, country now.
    Socail network could be used for pay free advertisement, promotion.
    So a lot off positive thing.
    One problem - main part of your life must be real, not virtual. And you must not cross this line. And its difficult for a lot of people to not do this.
    But its not about V-M PR. If you say they didnt read internet, how this problems with FB page could be connected with someone blog or what people talking about them in internet?

16. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I don't know. Her theory that SC wanted to market a relationship between V/M, that V/M didn't want to do it, and so they came up with something else, makes sense to me.

I don't understand why SC and V/M's PR team focus on the V/M relationship, when that isn't their biggest selling point. It's weird and frustrating.

As many have already mentioned, a good PR team could manage V/M's social media presence completely, leaving V/M to focus on skating, and whatever else they choose.

V/M have had years to get a good PR team together. It can't be that hard, as most elite skaters already have good PR teams in place. Therefore I have to assume that V/M's PR is exactly as they want it.

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Maybe this is stupid, but i alwayse thought Marina did this image for them, because she see GG in them :)

18. aka_gerbil

I was more talking about the imaginary sekret kid that supposedly hundreds of people know about. It defies logic that that many people could know about a kid and that information not make it to the outside world, especially given how gossip spreads in figure skating.

Bmcg, I want to positive rep you for that post, but it won't let me right now. I absolutely 100% agree with everything you said.

19. Golightly

The secret kid theory is so outrageous and far-fetched. I don't even know the arguments they used to back it up, but what surprises me the most is that there's not just one, but many people out there who believe what this person is saying. I cannot comprehend how that is possible. How? Does anyone here believe it? It's stupid.

I do agree that SC has tried to play the "will-they-won't-they" card to their advantage, I think Tessa and Scott hinted at it in their book when they said that SC threw them together more often when they weren't exactly on great terms, but I believe they aren't too comfortable with it.

20. pani

pani Well-Known Member

:p Could we left this out from FSU :lol:

21. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I have never felt SC want the focus on their relationship. I'm not sure what you are seeing from them that I don't. I don't even know how one could say their PR team is also guilty of this since it seems the conclusion that they don't really have a PR team :p I think the reason there is any focus on their relationship is because of the connection they have when they skate. Some people seem to have this need to fantasize about this. It was another poster who wrote some time ago that what woman wouldn't want to be looked at the way Scott looks at Tessa. They have been skating together since they were kids and clearly have a very close relationship (a bestfriend or sibling ).

I think the reason Marina choreographes them a certain way is because she sees in them what she saw in Gordeeva and Grinkov. Both couples were born to skate together. Some people were also far too invested in the relationship of that couple and to this day have great anger and resentment that Katia dared to move on with her live and not spend it in perpetual mourning. I think these two couples are somewhat unique in the skating world regarding the amount of fantasy they invoke/d in some of their fans. It's obsessive and unhealthy.

22. Golightly

Exactly. You just put into words what I was just thinking.

23. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I never said they don't have a PR team. They have an agent. He's listed on their website.

As for what I'm seeing, off the top of my head, an example would be the list of media articles on their website. I'm going to assume that Tessa and Scott are not running their website by themselves, as that's what an agent typically does. Their website currently has 4 articles listed under the media section. Of the four, the only one that talks about either of them in any real depth is this one. You and I both know that there have been many more recent articles about V/M than those 4. Two that stand out are V/M's comments regarding the Shpilband/Zoueva break-up, and V/M's interview for ice-dance.com. Neither of those articles are listed. Why not? The agent must have known that V/M did those interviews. I'd have to assume they're not listed because the agent did not want to list them. So, why list an article that talks about their connection, but not articles that focus on their relationship with their coaches, or their ideas about skating?

ETA: If I'm new to V/M, where would I go to learn more about the team? It makes sense that I'd go to their official website first. Their website is going to display them in the way they want to be displayed, because that's the site where they have the most control. If that site chooses to list those particular articles, and not the others, I'd have to think those are the articles to which they want me to pay particular attention.

24. Lissa

Lissa New Member

So anything new recently, I wish we could see them do Carmen sooner rather than later.....so excited!:D

25. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I don't get this obsession of some fans that they must have a PR team. Why? How many athletes in Canada have a PR team other than the likes of Sydney Crosby? Do Davis and White have a "pr team"? Does Patrick Chan? Other than these skaters using twitter and Facebook, I'm not really seeing a PR team.

Also it's entirely possible that Virtue and Moir don't want articles on the Marina/Igor split on their website because it was rather ugly and controversial.

26. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Maybe Virtue and Moir don't have the money, or don't want to spend the money, on paying a PR team.

27. Golightly

If you are a new fan and want to get news, you do your homework: come here, check their programs on YouTube, etc. I just don't see what's the big deal. They are interviewed often, they published a book, they actually are very approachable in person, what else do you want? Personally, I think their PR (or lack thereof) is fine the way it is. It's also who they are as people, they like their privacy. Some people are making a fuss out of nothing.

I'm assuming, however, that once they turn pro (if that is their plan, and something tells me it is) They might focus a bit more on the business side of things.

ETA: Yeah, what Rafter said.

28. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Fabulous post! And, I am one of the few (I think) people who do not Tweet, Friend, Link in or anything else. And, today while picking up my daughter's new iPhone (I want to come back as one of my children) the gal at Verizon told me that a mag cover said Kate Middleton was pregnant with twins. I immediately came to FSU to check out that information:rofl:

29. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Aww that's cute. I hope T/S can do that with Carmen!
    I never clicked on the media button before so I never noticed there was only four articles lol. It is interesting to see which four they chose to include. The article you linked above is so sappy though--how can anyone blame the fans that ship them and fantasize about their relationship. Sometimes I feel like they ask for it when you read articles like these or see their actions around each other. And let's face it most of the new fans that started following T/S after the Olympics became their fans based on that connection they have and instantly thought they were a couple. When they said they weren't in fact a couple some people were able to still be their fans based solely on what they do on the ice, while some still hold out hope that they'll "see the truth" one day...whether that's obsessive/unhealthy or not, I don't know.

30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

"Are you a couple off-ice?"
    "OMG, no"
    . And Scott look at Tessa. like he want to eat her :mad:And touch her everywhere :rollin:
    Just joking :) I think for there buisness (for skating) they work a lot on this connection so they practice it sometime off-ice, when they talk with media ;)
    If they will not play like this with each other, nobody will ask them, no?
    I cant remember people a lot off times asked are Meryl and Charlie couple off ice. Just because off-ice they didnt play with each other.