Virtue ~ Moir n. 20. L’amour est un oiseau rebelle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Sep 8, 2012.

1. iggie

iggie New Member

2. iggie

iggie New Member

3. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

:rofl:
  4. pani

pani Well-Known Member

5. aka_gerbil

6. martyross

martyross New Member

I'll do it..
  7. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

Love the program until the end when the music change for Tosca(i think)...:huh: I don't think it goes well with once upon a time in the west. I was hoping for her posture to be better with the change of coach...:(
  8. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Original FD was without this changing of music, but TAT said - no and they made chages :(
    But i really love body moves in this FD - so unusual. And i think they look better, then before.
    Sometime i feel sad V-M and Zhulin couldnt work together.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  9. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

Tat!! :lynch:

Zhulin did a fantastic job, i think it's their best program ever for sure. To bad about the change of music at the end. It feels strange to me.
  10. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Wonderful. Tarasova's meddling is killing the Russian ice-dancers. This needs to stop. Does anyone there ever say NO to her??

B/S look a bit improved, and I love the way he moves. And his haircut!:)
  11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Plus she said to Ryazanova-Tkachenko not to use FD on "Pink Ployd" "Hey you" and gave them "Godfather" soundtrack :(
  12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Ok so who bribed TAT, USFS or Skate Canada? She is so infuriating!
  13. martyross

martyross New Member

probably it's just her bad, ancient taste...as you can see in recent programs done for single skaters...not to mention what she calls costumes! a true horror gallery
    the change of music in B/S FD is a drag for us fans, but what will count in the end will be skating skills and levels. it's too bad btw, because the first part with the harmonica tune was interesting. :((((
  14. martyross

martyross New Member

15. aka_gerbil

TAT needs to stop meddling with all of the ice dance teams.

I wish too that V/M could work with Zhulin at least once. If not on a competetive piece, then maybe an exhibition piece at some point would be nice.
  16. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I had never seen Rahkamo & Kokko's exhibition and I love it! Original choreography, great choice of music cuts - avoiding the obvious ones, but still conveying the passion and the drama of the story. The ending is maybe too theatrical, but apart from that, I think it's the most interesting "Carmen" I've seen in figure skating. Not the most popular opinion here, I realize that...:)
  17. iggie

iggie New Member

thanks!

:cool:

the list currently looks like:

Moiseeva/Minenkov, 1977 Worlds exhibition
    Bestiamanova/Bukin, 1985 Europeans
    Krylova/Leliukh, 1989 SkateElectric
    Volozhinskaya/Svinin, 1990 World Challenge of Champions
    Rhakamo/Kokko, 1997 World Challenge of Champions
    Kylova/Ovsiannakov, 1998 Worlds
    Usova/Platov, 2000 exhibition
    Lang/Tchernshev, 2002 Olympics
    Humphreys/Baranov, 2002 Olympics
    Winkler/Lohse - 2002 World Championships
    Navka/Kostamarov, 2006 Olypmics
    Zadorozhniuk/Verbillo, 2008 Cup of China
    Sforza/Fioretti, 2012 Junior Worlds
  18. iggie

iggie New Member

does anyone know a bit ... or a lot... about carmen in ballet? i'd like to ask you a question.
  19. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

20. iggie

iggie New Member

the question i have is more about the major ballet interpretations of carmen.

there's roland petit but what else was huge or definitive?
  21. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

My sister and I were just wishing today that they'd put TAT on a raft and float her down the Volga..:lol:

iggie ...Re: Carmen , this site has a pretty comprhensive rundown..and there are clips of the Alonso Carmen with Plistetskaya on YouTube..

http://www.theballetbag.com/2010/05/08/carmen/

I guess my own idea leans more to Bizet's than Merimee's ( I hate it when they only blame the woman..) :mad:

So , I'm not a big fan of Eks,..either
  22. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

:lol:Please forgive me, but I can't imagine Tessa smoking a cigar.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing what costuming is chosen. As they invest a lot of thought and detail into their programs, this may be one of those that grows and changes substantially throughout the season.
  23. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes, Iggie, you need to pay attention to Plistetskaya. Radion Shedrin is her husband and he did Bizet music arragment for ballet especially for Maia. She is iconic ballet Carmen. Look at her arms.

If T-S will show modern version, i wich to see simple black top (like in practice outfit) and small, light read skirt
  24. m_chenning

m_chenning New Member

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Melissa Podcasy and Timour Bourtasenkov in Carolina Ballet's Carmen

Melissa remind me Tessa :)
    The main question is - will Scott have not black pants? :D
  26. martyross

martyross New Member

yep, they probably have to change direction in costuming. wearing gorgeous dress, as Tessa usually does, would be distracting. the timeless truth behind Carmen story requires a different aesthetic. the costumes shouldn't be well matched between each other as usual, because there's no harmony between them this time.
    Tessa should look sensual and not 'beautiful' in the classic sense. she has to be hated, not admired. something basic like pani suggested would be good. red (passion) and black (death), an 'abstract' design for the top. on Scott i would like to see a modern version of a soviet uniform like in the Swedish ballet. brown or/and blue.
  27. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I had this same thought. :)
  28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

:eek: Will be cool.
  29. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

This looks more like Chicago. :lol:

I see V&M in very simple costumes for Carmen, especially if they're doing a modern take on it.

Interesting that D&W have reverted back to their typical style for their FD this year. I expect the program to have a very similar feeling to POTO and Samson. Can't say I'm a fan of the music of Notre Dame. Wonder if they will use vocals or not.
  30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

IMHO - Notre Dame sound much better with vocal and not so good without it. And the best part is Garou in ND sound :D
  31. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I find the vocal version really grating and heavy. Very repetitive and it kind of drones on and on. Anyway, we'll see what they choose.
  32. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I think it's great. D/W are very strong in this style, and I would think the V/M will be very strong in the style they have chosen this year. Maybe Worlds will be a chance for judges to decide in which direction they want ice dance to go.
  33. pani

pani Well-Known Member

But its some less dramatic music. For example
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj4OjKSyqWk
    But i thin Weber music is more powerfull itself, so Garou gave this power to ND.
    I posted some links of ND FD sin D-W thread - you could see what cuts of music skaters used beofre in ice dance.
  34. martyross

martyross New Member

actually in every track of this musical singers just repeat a refrain over and over. the whole thing is just over-sentimental and preachy, which is typical of Hugo. especially when it comes to the characters, they have no nuances. The girl is soooo good and soooo generous and the massive tearing-up audiences probably feel a sadistic pleasure in seeing her hanged at the end. ugh!
  35. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Wow, I haven't seen that R&K version since that event aired back in 97, but I remembered it perfectly.

That's probably the second voidiest pro dance program behind B&B's Rasputin. :inavoid:
  36. iggie

iggie New Member

37. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

iggie, I really appreciate what you're doing with your site. I have read some of the posts on Carmen, but didn't have time to go through it carefully, so having everything in one place really really helps. I can't wait to sit down and watch it all so I can educate myself... I love how your blog allowed me to immerse myself in Funny Face last year as well. :) And it's a great way to kill time during the off season!
  38. iggie

iggie New Member

enjoy. some of the work are by two ladies from spain whom i met on twitter. so i thought that it'd be great to hear from them. one of the clips has a character from seville, spain, teaching others to dance. that's where carmen is set too.
  39. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks! Good place to find something new :)
  40. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I don't know what else to say Misha, except keep up the good work!! Your series of Carmen posts were particularly interesting and informative! Thanks to Laura for doing the write-ups as well!