Virtue ~ Moir n. 20. L’amour est un oiseau rebelle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Sep 8, 2012.

1. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Word. They made an excellent decision there going to Zhulin. I agree they've still got to work on her posture, but with the big goal for them being 2018, they've got plenty of time. Just like any skater reworking any major thing about their skating, it's going to take time.

Going back to C/L, I too quite liked the program. I think it's a very traditional/theatrical ice skating interpretation of Carmen, down to the usual suspects with the music cuts, but they did a good job with it and as far as that sort of Carmen program goes, it's one of the better ones in a long time. With all the hints about V/M's Carmen being a modern/contemporary version, I think it's going to be a very different sort of program from C/L's. Notably, for me, this was the first time I've seen them skate and felt that there was nothing juniorish about them.

2. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

How could C/L be juniorish at the age of 25 and 27, and after skating in seniors for six seasons (this is the seventh)? They haven't been juniorish for a very long time now. Or did I somehow misunderstand you?

3. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I should probably explain better. In the past, I've felt that they haven't skated big, if that makes any sense. For reference, V/M skate big (and always have) in my book. For me personally, the not skating big gave their programs more of a junior-ish feel--to me. I'd watch them and feel like something was missing that they should have grown into more (nevermind their ages and how long they've been skating at the senior level). I didn't feel this way this time.

It's definitely a personal preference sort of thing. YMMV.

4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I've felt the same way about C&L for a long time, and have seen many others post that same sentiment about them looking juniorish. They look physically young :)eek: that he is 27) and don't really have deep edges or a lot of power to their skating. Their expression is usually light and playful (or looks like they're playacting if it's supposed to be otherwise). They just give off a young, juniorish vibe for a lot of reasons. The Shibutanis do the same, but it's more understandable since they are recently up from juniors.

I also felt like this FD was the first time there was nothing juniorish about C&L. :)

5. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I don't know about skating, since I haven't seen them live, but their expression has not seemed juniorish to me in the last seasons - certainly not in the way like Shibutanis seem juniorish. Light and playful is not necessarily juniorish in itself. Pechalat/Bourzat can be light and playful too, but I've never thought of them as juniorish because of that. Even Tessa and Scott are light and playful sometimes (like in 'Funny Face') - the same for them. And when Cappellini/Lanotte have been acting something more serious and/or dramatic, it has not seemed juniorish and studied to me. As for that you can see that they are acting when they are acting - I think it's true for most skaters, even for Tessa and Scott. After all, skaters are not actors to such an extent that real actors are - and only the greatest actors achieve that level when their acting truly seems like living when in reality they're not (living it). Those who really live in their role/performance are another thing.

Plus, most juniors are mostly not acting nearly as much and as well as C/L do, nor do they have the same musicality (Tessa and Scott are really an exception in that regard).

6. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Are they really 25 and 27? Lol they definitely do look younger. Anyways this is really random, but I really really hope Tessa doesn't wear her hair in a bun for their FD.

7. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Anna's stroking/edgework is a little under par for a top ice dance team; that alone could contribute to aka_gerbil's opinion (and indeed, it does seem like she's improved somewhat). Personally, I thought their programs (not merely Requiem for a Dream, but their La Traviata ex) went a long way to boost them.

The thing that's interesting to me is that V/M, D/W and C/L really are from the same generation of skaters. They made their senior debuts the same season (06/07, though V/M were at 4CC 2006) and in the JGPF 05/06, they were one-two-three. It was only when they became seniors that C/L started to lag behind.

8. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

the off season lounge is just about closed so i made this post to thank everyone who participated over the five months it took to host and to list all 22 interviews

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  9. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I'll like to say thanks to everybody that contributed too!! But mostly to you Misha for doing, and continuing to do such an amazing job!

10. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

thanks. you're always so supportive and i appreciate it

11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you a lot! :)

I think soem people have too high expectation about Tessa-Scott FD. So i think we will need to see at first.
    As for Anna and Luca for me there best FD was "La Traviata". But i hope Vlasova will work with them now and we will improvement at SC :)

12. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

thanks pani

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its funny. Both Meryl and Tessa will die in the FD. Who will die better - will win WCh :))))))))
    O, Meryl balerina. I wish so much Tessa will skate Giselle in FD, but no way this will happened with M. Z. :( Could she free Tessa and Scott?

14. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I had wished for Tessa and Scott to skate to Giselle too. A proper ballet program. I think they would be wonderful.

15. pani

pani Well-Known Member

But will never happened with Marina :( I think Meryl and Charlie will skate "Swan Lake" in Sochi. Thats why Marina made ballet SD for them this season. ;)

16. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

:confused: What happened? I thought you were excited about Carmen and were defending Marina b/c you said she does best on classical music? It's interesting though that both teams are doing drama this year.

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Giselle was my secrete hope :p
    Didnt you think Tessa is real balerina :)

18. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Yes, but I really like T/S's SD music selection. It's really beautiful and I can't wait to see it.

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

At least T-S sill have supporters in FS world (i mean Elena Tchaikovskay and Mary-Jane Strong) ;)

20. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

I feel like I missed something. Did I? :confused:

21. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thread police are ready. Sorry, i need to go away :lol:

22. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think that Meryl is trying out the balletic style - she is not a natural ballerina so one has to see if the shoe fits!
    I think T&S may do the ballet thing for Sochi.
    Lets keep our fingers crossed!

23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Probably. I'm still unsure which conspiracy theory is being purveyed at this moment.

24. martyross

martyross New Member

i think she's referring to the latest article about DW's programs. basically, they promote their work, their FD that is described as a masterpiece etc. (:) ... not exactly the modest words and a slightly aggressive tone, if you ask me, so i was actually expecting some reactions in this very thread :p *shrugh*

25. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

When in doubt, guess secret baby ;)

26. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

If Tessa & Scott do a ballet program, would you think Scott should wear a typical men's ballet type costume with the very tight tights?

Like this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...220px-Ballet_Nacional_de_Cuba_pas_de_deux.jpg

I'm not at all sure he likes those type of pants to skate in?? Certainly, I do not remember ever seeing him doing so...

This may have to do with why they have not as yet skated in a ballet format, although both would be well able to do an excellent job of such a program.

27. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

28. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Scott in super super tight tights lol
    But then again, iirc, my views on Scott's costuming can be a little different from the rest of the fans in this thread. I was the only one who openly loved him wearing the snakeskin shirt in the SD last season.

29. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

i agree that the C/L Carmen seems generic. I do think however that generic or not if they are in the final flight this program could take away the impact of V/M's based on the music.

And P/B program just doesn't work for me. I think they are better than this program. It just comes across as a show program. And as usual the costumes are...interesting.

They could have done a great blues program. I could also see them doing disco. I say this because I know they like to be different. And I give them props for that.

But having said that, it is hard to judge base on early in the season and the quality of the videos. But so far W/P have a more mature and better program.

30. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

The men can't skate in tights. Sergei Novitski received a deduction for doing it in the Night on Bald Mountain program. Something like this is legal and within Scott's comfort zone.