Virtue & Moir #8.5 - And the Goose is Golden

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by mishieru07, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icedance

icedance New Member

Hey!
    No, I didn't get it on facebook. You can send me a PM. See you at Palavela!

2. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Gushing Alert:
    One of YouTube's "recommendation" to me tonight was a clip from the movie Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Well, you know what *that* put me in the mood to look up and watch instead of the film.

Oh my. IIRC that FD was what made me a FAN. :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: I've liked a lot of dance teams in my time, but above all for me there was T & D and now is V & M. When I'm having a bad day, I try to remind myself of some of the beautiful things in life. And skaters like V/M are on the list of Great Things. :fragile:

BTW re: the "shippy" chat - I may have said this before, but back in the day I too was amazed that T & D were never involved romantically. But seeing how OTT other fans can be (like that other board) always reminds me to try and control myself. :lol: [And the nuttiness is spread around - I've been reading Joannie's FB page and a few posters there have made me go :eek: :scream: too.]

3. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

hahaha! i was also beginning to think v/m are the second coming t/d, fan speculation of their off-ice relationship at least. ;)

4. karen

karen Member

^^Me too! I totally love that FD. In fact, I completely ignored ice dance until I happened upon their 2008 world's FD. I had followed Canadians that year, but mostly watched Men's (being a Jeff Buttle fan lol). I remember seeing a headline along the lines of "Virtue and Moir lead after Original Dance" and thinking... "whatever, it's ice dance." After world's, I was watching a video, probably of Jeff Buttle, when youtube recommended V/M's FD. I decided I'd watch it (I was procrastinating) and was completely blown away. I know it may not be the most difficult program and it might bore some people, but it's one of my favourite things.

5. Sonata

Sonata Member

I love UoC too. I think it's really interesting to see the different kinds of love portrayed by V/M in UoC and the Mahler piece. UoC is about looking back at young love cut short. The Mahler piece is about young love looking forward to the future. They really are nice bookends.

6. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

You know I really liked their "Dare You to Move" exhibition from 08 Worlds. :)

Or this one. I like this one, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=vYdEWlvU0g4&feature=related

7. mishieru07

mishieru07 New Member

I actually like Jack & Diane ... :slinkaway. I like it better than Everybody Dance Now lol. :lol:

I doubt they'll have a new Ex for worlds but I"m sure we'll see new ones for CSOI! I don't mind the pink dress either but I still think white would look aesthetically better.

Ehs I think all of us here are first and foremost FS fans (like hello, this is FSU :lol:). Above all, we like V/M for their skating (but of course we do love them as people too). I generally try not to ship real-life couples (it just feels really odd) but I guess other people are entitled to do as they will, as long as it isn't malicious. I have long adopted a "Que Sera Sera" attitude :D.

Re-watching UoC, I'm amazed they skated as well as that considering Tessa was in pain. Dance couples like them who have such wonderful chemistry, artistry and technical skills are a gem.

Much as I adore UoC, my favourite FD of theirs is a toss up between Valse Triste and Mahler. VT just has this magical, sublime quality that never fails to make me go :swoon:. It's far less technically demanding but I could watch it all day. They're so very musical and the choreography is just lovely (I love how gentle they are going in and out of lifts).

It was also the first time I realized Ice Dance isn't necessarily OTT, trashy and dramatik, often with horrible costumes to boot. :lol: (I'm a relatively new fan circa 2006; don't hate! :p)

8. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Wow.........thanks for posting that.....I don't know where I was but don't think I've ever seen that ex..................it was smokin'. Much better than J&D. I don't know why they never used it again.

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Techno My Fair Lady??? Gross! I had to turn it off after the first two lines of the song. :scream:

Sorry, but when you combine one of my favorite things in the world with one of my least favorite, it makes me ill. :slinkaway

10. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

:lol: I don't think that really qualifies as "techno", so I'm guessing you're a huge fan of My Fair Lady?

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Well, techno-ish. And yes, I am.

12. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

I don't know about techno - I know I heard this same rendition on one of my daughter's jazz CD's. She's really into jazz but I'm not so much, so I can't give any details other than I recognized it because of V/M's exhibition.

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Maybe Marina didnt like Techno, because they skate this exibition only two times ;)

14. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

15. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Wowza there's been a lot of public appearances away from their training grounds.

16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

It was March 15 - it was Sundya. There group never work at week-end.
    But yes - maybe they didnt have a lot off time for traning before WCh, but its there time - they need to do all this stuff to made some money.
    They look greate on that pictures!

17. piano18

piano18 New Member

Xue shen sent personal invitations to V/M and Yuna, Mao, Plushenko, Lysacek to participate on a Chinese tour in August starting in beijing; headliners S/Z; cast is unofficial

Article in Chinese

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  18. The Observer

The Observer New Member

There was one interview during the Olympics where they said they wouldn't completely rule out the possibility one day.

19. missflick

missflick New Member

Translation please?

20. mishieru07

mishieru07 New Member

If only they held this next year; I'll definitely watch it! I'm stuck in school now but will have a long break before university next year. Urgh, this sucks.

The line-up looks FANTASTIC. Mao, Yu Na, S/Z, V/M in one show? :swoon:

I am a little sad that V/M aren't doing FOI again. We got such awesome HD vids last year (and the whole FOI cast is just adorable :lol:). Don't think CSOI is telecasted.

Tessa is a total fashionista. I want her clothes!! :p

@ The Observer: I'd love for them to get together and I do see it as a possibility! What I find very amusing is few would believe they're not a couple and so many people are shipping them. Their acting skills and chemistry are just :respec:. It's certainly more belivable than some on-screen couples.

WORLDS WORLDS WORLDS!!!! I'm getting excited; have fun pani and icedance! Don't forget us and give us updates!

P.S Anyone thinks Tessa will change her GW dress? I didn't quite like the black one; I preferred the pink one she used in 06-07.

21. missflick

missflick New Member

I wish this tour was June not August. What if some of these skaters want to have another year of eligibility? Depending on the length of the tour, this could cut into training time.

22. mishieru07

mishieru07 New Member

My chinese is pretty bad so bear with me:

Shen, Zhao organizing a star-studded Ice Show in China and have invited Yu Na to "compete"

Zhao talks about how busy they've been participating in many interviews and that during their toughest times (I guess training?) before the Olympics, he told Xue that if they won the gold medal, they would sit at home resting everyday, drinking tea and doing nothing. However, resting is now impossible as their goal this year is to organize a skating exhibition cum competition (wouldn't this conflict with ISU rules? :confused:).

Shen and Zhao, who finally achieved their dreams of winning an Olympic Gold Medal in Vancouver, revealed their post Olympics plans on their blogs days earlier: To organize an invitational competition and the most beautiful ice show in the world for figure skating fans. What's more exciting is that Shen Xue told reporters that they have invited skaters such as Kim Yu Na, Mao Asada, Plushenko etc to participate in the "Shen/Zhao figure skating stars invitational competition," scheduled to premiere in August 2010 in Beijing.

There's a chance that Yu Na will come to China in August

Time: August 2010. Venue: Beijing Gymnasium (don't know how to translate). "Beijing will be the first of many stops, multiple shows is of course a given. We have already sent an official invitation to Yu Na's managing company, and we're very touched and happy that there's a good chance Yu Na will be able to participate come August, based on her current schedule. Of course, the exact arrangements will have to respect the opinions of the sponsors, as well as the schedules of the skaters." Shen told reporters excitedly at yesterday's press session.

In fact, Yu Na's participation will certainly create a sensational wave of excitement and interest. Currently, she is preparing for the 2010 Worlds in Turin, Italy (Mar 23 - 28), where she will face off with Japan's Mao Asada in the Ladies event again in another epic battle. Previously, the Korean media has asked Yu Na about her retirement plans post Worlds, but she has said that she plans to compete in Sochi 2014. Regardless, her participation in the exhibition will be a dream come true for her Chinese fans.

Currently, the newest development is that Yu Na's managing company has also invited Shen/Zhao to participate in the annual Festa on Ice, which is themed "Mission Impossible" for this year, in line with Yu Na's Bond Girl SP. Yesterday, Shen said "Hongbo and I are still considering participating, but we feel that we should be polite and accept (since they're inviting her), hehe, hopefully Yu Na will also reciprocrate and participate in their show as well.

I'll finish translating the rest of the article later, I haven't read this much Chinese in more than a year >.<ll

23. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Sorry, but i couldnt find V-M names in the translation.
    Its cool for chinees fans to have such a greate show - with Yu-Na, Mao, Shen- Zhao, Plushenko.

24. walei

walei Well-Known Member

&#25105;&#20497;&#29694;&#22312;&#25836;&#23450;&#36992;&#35531;&#30340;&#26126;&#26143;&#21253;&#25324;&#20102;&#28331;&#21733;&#33775;&#20908;&#22887;&#26371;&#30007;&#22899;&#21934;&#20154;&#28369;&#30340;&#21069;&#20841;&#21517;&#65292;&#37329;&#22925;&#20818;&#12289;&#28154;&#30000;&#30495;&#22830;&#12289;&#33802;&#34217;&#20999;&#20811;&#12289;&#26222;&#39791;&#30003;&#31185;&#21644;&#20912;&#33310;&#20896;&#36557;&#27779;&#29246;&#22294;&#33707;&#20234;&#29246;&#31561;&#65292;

The bold squiggly lines & fish hooks (how my friend describe Chinese characters :lol:) says: ice dance champions Virtue and Moir.

From reading the article I don't think this is a tour but S/Z wants to make it an annual event.

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you! :)
    It will be cool if we will have one more FS events. Hope Tessa adn Scott will take a part in this event. Its look, like they are very friendly with Zangs.

26. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Ahh... When Google translated it it didn't mention them but said they invited all the Olympic champions.

27. mishieru07

mishieru07 New Member

2nd half of the article:

The show/ competition will cost sponsors $8 million RMB :)eek:)

Since winning Gold in Vancouver, Shen/ Zhao's future plans and return home have been of much interest. "Many were asking if we were retiring, and what was the next step" said Zhao. In reality, since returning to China, they have been patiently attending interviews with the various media; newspapers, television, magazines, online platforms etc. "Even though we're busy (to death), we will try to satisfy everyone and share our story and experience." Evidently, Shen/ Zhao will continue to be very good friends with the media. With regards to their future plans, Shen told reporters that their goal is to organize an ice show/ competition, and they will be inviting the World and Olympic champions to participate, bringing another aspect of figure skating to the masses (ie non competitive). It will follow a travelling format (a la SOI), beginning in Beijing. Stops include Shanghai and cities in the Northeast. Details are still being finalized with sponsors and organizers, with plans to include skaters from all over the world. The show requires sponsorship to the tune of $8 million RMB. Naturally, sponsors will receive benefits in return, such as choosing the cities they will perform in.

With regards to why they chose August, they say it's because that's the hottest period in the year and also the summer holidays. Hopefully, skating fans can get a little respite and enjoy themselves. Also, August is a comparatively less busy period for skaters, making it more convenient for them to participate.

Shen/ Zhao planning a major FS event? (As in the sense that it'll be a big thing)

"Besides inviting world-class figure skaters to perform, we also have another goal - to nurture the young, upcoming Chinese skaters. It's a long term project," an ambitious and noble aim mentioned in Hongbo's blog. Yesterday, Shen told reporters that they hope more people will come to love figure skating through their show. "The stars we have invited include the Gold and Silver medallists in Singles - Yu Na and Mao, Plushenko and Lysacek, as well as Ice Dancing Gold medallists Virtue and Moir etc. We hope to bring the best possible performances to all. We have already sent out invitations personally to them." With regards to the costs of inviting these skaters, Shen has no comments, except that they will follow the views of the sponsors.

Shen/ Zhao's show will be the first in China to have multiple shows. According to plans, it can either follow the format of FOI or USA's Gymnastics and Skating spectacular, incorporating elements of pop music, inviting gymnasts to perform (not a bad idea, China has fab gymnasts), infusing pop culture, creating a totally different type of show. "We'll be pulling out all stops to showcase the very best on ice. If the response is good, we will turn it into an annual show."

I'm sorry if it doesn't sound grammatically correct at times. Chinese has always been my worst subject.

I will be :biggrinbo if they do it annually. I'm also happy that S/Z plan to mentor the youngsters (didn't mention how though).

For the record, Virtue is read "Wei Er Tu" &#27779;&#23572;&#22270; and Moir "Mo Yi Er" &#33707;&#20234;&#23572;. Or at least that's how the CCTV commentators say it I think. :lol: Squiggles and fish hooks indeed. :rofl:

Yeah well, I'm not surprised no one could find their names. English names translated into Chinese only sound like a vague approximation and babelfish would never work.

28. karen

karen Member

Thanks so much for the translation!!! It looks like it could be an exciting show.

29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

mishieru07! thank you for translation!

30. marikat

marikat Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.