Virtue/Moir #24: We Like it Hot

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Proustable, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Maybe just a little sitting ovation .. polite applause and a smile. Nothing fancy. :)

2. martyross

martyross New Member

I noticed some new interesting things in Carmen. First of all, I finally realized what has always been hitting me in the very opening pose: Scott is in the same position of a gunfighter of Western movies, aka Spaghetti Western (:) it is as though a deathly duel is starting, which makes my imagination run wild since the most celebrated and melodramatic love story set in the Old West is "Duel in the sun", with the unforgettable finale where Jennifer Jones and Gregory Peck kills each other and then passionately kiss while dying (:) love = death. yep, there is a little bit of this in Carmen. And, oh, I’m not sure if it’s a new addition, but have you seen the way her blink when his hand caress her leg, wow, it is so sensual. Tiny details like this are even more impressive then the more explicit moves (i.e. sex is born from the eyes)
    Second, I’m happy to see that the Habanera is really danced here, it’s a dark rendition of course, but you still get the impression that it’s a dance, which never happens in your typical Carmen program. Even if we know that this opening dancing is basically the beginning of the end for them, you can feel the excitement and wild happiness of a Spanish folk feast, and in this respect her dress is perfect. I’m glad she hasn’t changed it. Dressed like that, she reminds me of the dark female figures in Goya’s paintings. Actually, the whole program has a Goyan vibration.
    Not only a true Habanera, they also convey the feeling of the Corrida (that is part of the original story as we all now) but here we’re not sure which of the two is the bull and who is the matador. Now, I detest the Corrida, but here the violence, the blood, the sacrifice of the bull is elevated into a symbolic (and erothic) sphere.
    Last little remark, they added piano sounds to the end of the flower song. It’s a little bit bizzarre because it doesn’t sound very in tune with the last echoes of the piece (:)

3. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

eheheh
    nicer than the audience at nice :D(because IIRC i think they booed v/m?)

4. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

After reading the above, it saddens me to learn that's how you feel, PDeb. I understand that you take a lot of pride in the skaters from your country (as do most skating fans), but I was under the impression that you were a fan of figure skating as a sport, and that you could and would show appreciation for well-skated programs, regardless of the skater's/team's nationality.

That type of planned display in the audience (the one in your post quoted above) is the kind of classless behavior I would expect from someone like Lissa, who seizes any opportunity to make one venomous post after another about Davis and White. Although you don't engage in that level of hatred and spewing of bile, if you're seriously intending to engage in the above behavior at the upcoming World Championships, I apparently was wrong regarding my opinion of you, and that's a disappointment -- I thought you were a better person than that.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  5. rainbowkisses

:lol: tbh if i had to watch ND live, i'd prolly need a stiff drink as well.

6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Dont take this too serious/ It was just joke. From what i see on TV there is very warm audience in Canada - they support good skating and give standing ovations often. When in some other countries (like in USA) they gave standing ovations only for skaters from there country.
    This alwayse will be people who will made crazy things. But in Nice some fans from USA (old ladies) didnt gave any applauds to V-M. Isnt this werid? :D

7. Lissa

Lissa New Member

So I wonder if Eurosport will cover the Nationals & we can hear what they have to say about the changes......

8. elle123

elle123 New Member

I didn't notice the audience in Nice too much because it has no bearing on how I view V/M, although it's always nice to hear/see their work being appreciated.

And on another note, it's always easy to judge people when you're just an anonymous person behind a computer screen. ;) It's like Scott and Tessa have said about people making assumptions about them based on the programs they skate. Let's try to reserve judgment on others based on something they've written (probably with tongue in cheek) on a figure skating forum.

9. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I think people get too upset too easily about silly tongue in cheek remarks. We will be fortunate indeed to have all these teams competing in London, and I'm sure there will be SO's for everyone who deserves it :lol:

10. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I am sure you will :) Not like at last season at 4CC americans just ignore VM :D

11. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

We've been practicing for months. :lol:

12. iNap

iNap Active Member

This old ladies tongues and cheeks are bad with other things :eek: Who care if you sit or stand or sleep when give ovation or not give ovaton? there is lot off people in arena. You not only one celebritis in stand. if you sit and someone in front of you stand the views is bloked but your seat will be hot. You can stand if you will feel hot with Carmen then cool air will come and cool old ladys seats :D

13. marikat

marikat Active Member

After watching the fd a couple more times I have to say that I don't like the music change they've made in the middle of the program... I think it sounds weird :shuffle:

14. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Wow this thread is a mess.
    Marikat when I first realized what they did with the music I didn't really like it either (I wonder what made them do that cuz it was better before), but now it's kinda growing on me.

15. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I have a really stupid question. How Tessa and Scott's spin could even be level 4 if there is no change of direction, or change of foot? I hadn't noticed this before, but I reread the rules, and, according to them, if there's no change of direction in the spin, it must have "4 different difficult variations from 3 different basic positions" (with at least 2 rotations in each variation) to be considered level 4. If there are just 3 different difficult variations from 3 different basic positions (with at least 2 rotations in each variation), then it must have a change of direction. Otherwise, if there are 3 different difficult variations without change of direction, it's level 3. And a combination spin must have both a change of foot (obviously, otherwise it's not a combination spin), and a change of direction (plus, at least 3 rotations in each variation) to get level 4 if there are just 3 different difficult variations. Again, without change of direction, it's level 3. So, honestly, I don't understand this. Or am I totally missing something?

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Nationals are usually only broadcast in their own country. I doubt they will be broadcast outside of Canada. I've never heard of Eurosport showing any nationals from any country. They sometimes broadcast 4CC, so maybe we will get their opinions on the changes then.

17. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

I tried to post earlier but my session timed out and my post was lost. Aargh. :(

It was a great weekend of skating, lots of highs (and a few lows, like P/I's fall in the FD and Amelie's struggles). I won't make any comments about the judging or judging system, because it's kind of immaterial to my enjoyment of the skating itself in this case. Re: Carmen, I found it thrilling to watch because they’ve captured some of the things I most appreciate in contemporary and classical dance off the ice – superb technique supporting physical movement that tells a fundamental story, expressing the emotions of the story in a visceral way. The movements have meaning, they have great detail, and they work in tandem with the music all the way. So difficult, and so beautifully done. Very happy they’ve gone this route.

Off the ice? IDK, Marina has a little dog that she carries in a designer bag which has a small plastic inset for the doggie to see out. She walked by me as I was standing in line in the concourse and I wondered what that odd pattern was on the end of her very chic bag, then when she stopped a few feet away I saw that it was the dog’s face pressed up against the plastic. :lol: The dance practice at the community rink seemed very friendly. Before practice, Scott was joking around with Patrice Lauzon and Aaron Lowe, and Marina likewise with Carol Lane. After Tessa and Scott took their FD starting position Tessa broke character and skated off behind Scott to pick up something from the ice leaving him standing there, causing Carol Lane to call out teasingly to Scott; they both laughed. Asher Hill struggled with a couple of elements in his runthrough, including a twizzle fall IIRC, and Scott stopped to speak with him and pat him on the back. (After Asher’s SD error, and remembering those earlier problems I wondered if he was sick this week. Hope that wasn't the case.) Paul MacIntosh sat with the Virtues and Moirs to watch the junior free dance, nice to see. Watching Igor with Barova/Stoll (new junior pairing), then Marina with the Hasegawas was interesting to say the least. Wonder how that went backstage.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  18. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Guess I should have added an additional icon -- the winky one. I presumed (incorrectly apparently) that the smiley one was enough for people to know my post wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It was meant to be a "funny" back at pani who had made a comment about Canadians giving a standing O to Meryl and Charlie. Apparently she understood that I was just "funning" and that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Once again, the written word wasn't taken in the vein that it was meant and if you are offended, then I'm sorry to hear such.

As for being at World's -- well that won't be happening :( even though I live quite close to London. I will have to make do watching it either on my TV or the computer.

19. rainbowkisses

20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

21. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I'm not surprised either, but I'm not ready yet at all. This may be worse for me than U/Z's retirement from eligible skating in 1994. At least with them, I was able to continue to watch them on the pro-circuit. We only had about 4 tv channels, and I still got to watch them what felt like 2 or 3 times a week there for awhile!

Even though I get nervous when they compete, I've decided I'm going to go to Canadian Nationals in Ottawa next year. I think I'll regret it if I don't.

22. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Well they didn't quite come out and say they definitely won't compete in 2014 Worlds but it does sound pretty close to being final. Drats! I understand that they need to begin the next part of their lives sooner than later but I will definitely miss them when they do leave the sport. It will be a bit less sunny in the sport for me -- at least for a while. All the more reason that I'm thankful so have seen them a few times live and here's to hoping I can get at least one more live glimpse of them next season.

23. aka_gerbil

I had the exact opposite reaction. The part with the music change is one of my favorite little bits of the program now.

24. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

25. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

me too- I love the changes- it seems to flow better- you know I forget its ice dance- and there are elements- i just see them and the music.... i LOve this program- I actually think it really highlights scott- he just shines - with his lines and such-i usually watch tessa but with this dance i cant take my eyes off him!

26. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I can't, I'm not ready to face this reality. How do I start preparing for the retirement of the team that basically introduced me to figure skating. Like who do I root for after they're gone (well I like more skaters now, but it's just not going to be the same). I have to find a way to travel to Canada next season to see them, even though my family will think I've lost my mind lol.

Anyways, they got made Canadian athletes of the weekend http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2013/01/21/sp-cbc-sports-canadian-athlete-of-the-weekend-tessa-virtue-scott-moir.html

27. martyross

martyross New Member

Wow, what is this, our weekly lecture in morality? This is a personal attack to both Lissa and Professordeb. If you have a remark on a post please take off your preachy mask first, and I politely suggest you to take a look into the outside world to see what a "good" or a "bad" person really is.
    Sorry for the unpleasant interruption. Carry on.

28. Bue

Bue New Member

Me three. Love that transitional bit now. I never really ^noticed^ the transition between these segments before, but this time I went back and watched it three times. The flow in this dance is becoming superb.

29. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

I *think* theirs is not combination spin? Or am I missing something too :eek:

30. aka_gerbil

V/M's spin is not a combination spin. During the first three competetions this season, it was called a spin. For some reason, at this competetion, it was called a combination spin.