Virtue/Moir #24: We Like it Hot

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Proustable, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Bue

Bue Active Member

I can understand this, TBH. Not that the Shibs aren't a great team, but it doesn't matter to the same extent. V/M are one of the top two teams vying for every title. People are going to pay more attention.

2. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I can't get the ISU website to function properly on this computer (it flashes all the time) but there is a rule for deductions for interruptions in excess of 5 seconds. It's -1.00 for 6-15 secs and -2.00 for 16-30 secs. What isn't clear is if the deduction is taken when the skater is injured or cramping such as what appears to be the case with Alex in Russia and Tessa here. Either there are exceptions or the referee forgot to take the deduction (maybe they forgot to time it?). So I don't think the system itself is broken but a matter of clarification. It's good that here it didn't affect the results unlike last seasons errors with the lift calculations that did affect results.

The good news (and we all need some) is there were NO timing deductions on the lift and as sad as I am to see the old one go the new spin garnered the marks they wanted. So :cheer: ;)

3. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I just hope Tessa's legs are going to be OK, and that this is just a transitory problem :wuzrobbed:

4. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Only after SD she talked about OG and how they want to be there. This girl is a reall fighter.
    Maybe i will be more happy, if Tessa will stay healthy and happy, then will fight for second gold, when nobody know - will they get it ot it is in D-W hands already. So i will choose - greate happy life after skating.
    But from other hand - she skated really well in first part and in second part. So maybe it was acclimatization and nervous tension? I feel like she felt strong at Nationals, no? Maybe working with close rivals didnt work for her anymore?
    So i dont know. Wish her all the best.
    Will see - will be they at Gala tomorrow/

5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I feel its a little different- she skated during all the season.
    You know, if they had easy lifts, i am sure Scott could did it along and Tessa could have rest. But they all the time try to made something ober the top.

6. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I've thought a few times this season that it might not be so much of a benefit anymore. I think Krylova was on to something last year. I don't think either team will give up Marina though so I don't see it changing. But I would like to see what each team could come up with next season without the other team watching and with a coach trying to make them #1 instead of trying to make them equal.

7. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so. As Pani mentioned, they have looked way more solid this year.

Look, it is a fact that Tessa has leg issues, cramping is also a reality in this sport, as in any really, but more so here. They continued, let's not forget that. Tessa knows better than to risk a new injury after skating in pain for so many years, so I doubt she would have decided to continue if the pain was shin-related. Also, note how fast it was all going.

maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.
  8. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

The poor things. I have a feeling her compartment syndrome has never and will never be truly fixed.

9. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I agree. It's true that her condition will never go away, but she's wise enough not to risk an injury. If she hadn't been able to, she wouldn't have continued.

10. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I'm really sad that this incident happened. Tessa and Scott were looking great up until that moment and they seemed to have recovered well afterwards. On a side note, isn't it great to see how Scott always supports Tessa and looks protective? If I was skating ice-dance, I wanted a partner just like him. This problem hurt their final score and now we can only speculate how the outcome would have been if both teams had skated clean. Would it be good enough or not (in the eyes of the judges) to beat Meryl and Charlie?
    However, I firmly believe Tessa and Scott will be stellar at the world championships. They will be there fighting for the gold. I don't think anybody can say that Meryl and Charlie have it in the bag. Carmen is a much more demanding free dance from a choreographical point of view and it's much original. Considering the changes that Tessa and Scott had in the FD after the GPF plus getting into better form, they may rock the house in London.

11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Guys, you all saw her at Nationals. did you have feeling she wasnt OK?

12. Sahararainfall

Sahararainfall Active Member

I doubt we will ever see or determine if everything is okay or not based on their performances. I mean look at the Olympics. Who knew Tessa was counting steps to save her legs back then? I really, really hope this is just some random cramps all athletes suffers at one point or another in their careers. She was able to continue so that's a good sign. I hope.

But the tendency sometimes is if things like this happen to a team like the Shibs, either people not pay attention or they blame the rules. With V/M being who they are, some people would probably blame both the rules and VM.

And I do hope they will be in the gala, because not only will it mean things are not as bad as some of us are secretly fearing, but for the selfish reason that I need some sweet Hallelujah after this. But only if they can.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  13. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I didn't. I felt she skated great at Nationals. I also don't think they would be doing such a demanding, difficult program if she were not healthy. They don't need to do all the things they do to achieve those levels. Just look at the lifts of I&K to see how easy a level four is to obtain. I think it's just one of those horrible moments that happens. Maybe the heat got to her and she suffered heat cramps:
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/heat-cramps
    I think she is and will be fine, just a really unfortunate time for that to happen.

14. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I hope she will be ok. Looks like he just could not hoist her into the lift on time without her helping herself.
    I don't know about him waving the camera man away. I think they pay a lot of $ to film everything in certain areas of the rink. The reality element and behind the scenes stuff is big right now. (Of course there are exceptions say if a costume falls down and exposes things, etc.).

15. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I hope you are right. Will hope.
    And i agree. At 2010 OG they didnt have such difficult program. All Tessas problems start from the OD.
    From other hand - they had it year before OG.
    But last season they had FF with slow part for the rest, no? I thought Tessa feel better, thats why they made such a difficult FD.
    At Nationals i thought they were very light on there fett. And in SD at 4CC.

16. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

I don't really understand why Tessa getting a cramp in her leg = she must be on her deathbed. But maybe that's just me.

17. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Because all of her previous problems with chronic exertional compartment syndrome, including 2 surgeries to deal with it?

18. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Normally it shouldn't. I think people overreact in her case because she has had severe problems in the past requiring surgery. I personally think she will be fine and at Nationals and in the SD here they were light on their feet and floating over the ice. To me it looks like one of those "why now" moments which is probably why she looked so gutted.

19. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

But it is not like they withdrew from the competition or something.
    In 2009 she was in a wheelchair. I don't see how people can compare that to this season.

20. Golightly

I think you are right.

21. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

Finally caught up with all the news and posts.
    Feel gutted for them.
    Hope it's just a cramp and nothing more.
    So proud of them for pushing through.
    On the bright side, Scott didn't gel his hair :)

22. Sahararainfall

He was just being his protective self, an instinctive reaction. I can't really blame him for that.

23. Golightly

It was cute how Scott wouldn't let her go on the podium. It's evident she doesn't like to talk when things like these happen.

24. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

please dont say that :( please

perhaps it could be very serious. the commentators said she was having trouble breathing which makes sense. to quote mayo clinic "As the pressure builds up within one of your muscle compartments, with no outlet for release, nerves and blood vessels are compressed. Blood flow may then decrease, causing tissues to get inadequate amounts of oxygen-rich blood, a condition known as ischemia (is-KE-me-uh). Nerves and muscles may sustain damage. "

i cant believe people are giving scott shit for shooing away the camera man :mad:

25. Golightly

Again, you guys pay way too much attention to Twitter. People will always talk, let them.

Right now, the important thing is that Tessa feels the support of all V-M fans and speculating about her condition won't help. Worlds is in a month, I think, unlike some of you, they can win it.

26. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

Agree with ignoring twitterverse - exactly why I don't have a twitter account. Also reason why I only read this thread and FF (thanks to all of you who contribute) to get news and comments on V/M's programs.

Of course they can still win if the judging is fair (including proper interpretation of the COP).

27. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Me too! Praying for her!

maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Sahararainfall

Yes, that was sweet and sort of very mature for Scott. I mean we all know how openly emotional he can be. I like that he was able to set aside his own frustration (which he was probably feeling) and be there for his partner, particularly during that podium moment. How hard that ceremony must be for them.

Well I'm not an expert but with CECS, the muscle compartments in the calves, shins, or thighs are the ones having trouble breathing, not the lungs. On the other hand, CECS can cause pain and cramping even after just a few minutes of exercise. But as others pointed out, she skated okay at nationals and as bmcg pointed out, they would not be skating such a difficult FD if they think they are not strong enough to train and perform this at its fullest. So let's not panic yet.

29. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Since it appears V/M are planning to retire after Sochi, Worlds in London will likely be their last chance to experience some of what they felt in Vancouver (the cheering home crowd at a big event). It is possible they may want the London win more than another Gold medal at Sochi. If so, they will definitely make every effort to be at London, and perform their best.

30. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

well technically he said to move the mic away