Virtue/Moir #24: We Like it Hot

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Proustable, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Hi---I don't want anyone to think that I am acting as "police" for this site or the Davis/White site. I just wanted a separate site for those of us who are crazy about both teams. I realize that someone will win and someone will not and hard feelings are almost unavoidable. The love thread is just that--no matter what happens we(who post there) love them all. The separate V/M and D/W threads are good as not everyone loves both teams and because judging is subjective and should be debated. And it goes without saying that you want to show love for your team. Ok--that is all I wanted to say.

2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

So no backstage photo from 4CC? :rolleyes:
    Who will be watching FD "live" tomorrow?

3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Now you could find both teams thread, so no problem :)
    And sorry, but in this thread i feel free to wish V-M to win at any competition n to get every time personal best :lol:
    And if i want discuss some PCS what is wrong with this?
    Yes, i couldnt be happy with V-M lose. So maybe i need to made pani rules thread :lol:

4. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Pani, you go, girl :fan:

5. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

shan, I absolutely agree with you. I think it is entirely inappropriate and rude and I would rather not see that kind of thing in this thread.

6. Bournekraatzfan

That's interesting. I would love to see them do a breakdown of the moves in this dance, to tell us more about what the movements mean to them.

You are so right. I feel like it is a blessing just to see them skate such incredible programs.
    and maybe we can form a support group for when they retire?

7. pani

pani Well-Known Member

But this was post not in D-W thread. Plus - this was joke and maybe someone need to have better sense of humor. :lol:
    Why you didnt post nothing, when D-W fans wrighte long posts on GS and on FSU about "big" Tessa? And they are not joking ;) But nobody could post truth about Meryl, why?

In any case, i dont care about all this "we must love D-W" and i am dont feel me guilty if i will not watch there FD tomorrow :lol: And all this D-W fans did with me :p

8. Bournekraatzfan

I was not there for those discussions. I have not been able to keep up with FSU as much as I would like to, and I rarely check Goldenskate and do not post there. Anyways, to quote Shayii, who I believe said it best, that doesn't mean we have to stoop to their level. I am fine with comments on the actual skating, but I hate personal attacks. And I have said something to the D&W ubers who continually bash Tessa and Scott and their fans. Trust me, I am not saying that the nastiness is confined to one uber thread--quite the opposite, actually.

Anyways, I don't believe shan or anyone else was saying that you or anyone here have to love D&W. We just like to keep the discussion respectful and focused on the skating and avoid personal attacks.

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I know, you are very kind person, but i dont see any personal attacks in this thread.
    If someone think discussion how D-W could have higher PCS with explanation is "personal attack" and made this thread full of negative -its OK :D
    But its funny how some posters, who have even in signature "personal attack" against Scott - you didnt tell nothing to her. So why not to let other person to joke a little? :D

Hate when this thraed become moralist lections. I wish to talk more about V-M here. Why we didnt have any practice reports from Japon?

10. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

It's not interesting to suggest Meryl needs a cookie and it's not interesting to have a signature calling Scott Moir a douchebag. Maybe we could just take all these posters out back and have them shot.

11. Bournekraatzfan

I meant to ask, since this SD has changed significantly since its debut, what are your favourite moments? What stands out to you most about the dance? and how has your overall impression of the dance changed since its debut?

12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think now its more flow in SD. I love how they dance polka - so light, easy. But i am not sure is this becasue they change SD ot becasue they now skate better, then at the begining of the season.
    I love how Tessa after lift put her one foot on ice and made turn on one foot - so easy, so elegant.

13. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

This isn't so much a moment, but I love how much lighter the whole mood of the dance is now. I thought it was a pretty dance at the beginning of the season; however, the tone they projected seemed too heavy for the music I love how joyful and playful the whole dance is now. I think Tessa and Scott just being themselves out there, having fun, works a lot better than the original concept.

Like a lot of others, I love that little bit of chasing/weaving/teasing playful choroegraphy after the polka sequences. I also quite like the NtMi Steps and the ending.

14. pani

pani Well-Known Member

As for steps. I love SS from SC, but they coudnt get level 4 for it. This was something fresh and unusual. So i think tech cometee need re-work rules. For example, I-K have lift, where Nikita stay on 1 knee and they get level 4 for this lift, wich will be easey even for novice. But this beautifull SS could get only level 2.
    But i alswayse adore how close together V-M made not touch SS.

15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Anyone get the water bottle? I went to a Canadian Tire and they could not sell the bottle on its own. I can't justify $35 for a water bottle. I didn't even buy their book at full retail price--I paid $6.99 when I found it in the sales bin of my local book store. If only my car broke down and I needed to buy a new car battery one and a half months later!!!

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Can you get a gift card to save for when you do need something?

I would just buy anything and return it later. :shuffle: Desperate times.

17. elle123

elle123 Member

Maybe they'll start to sell them on its own after this "special" ... I can't imagine what they'll do with all those bottles after. It'd be such a waste if they just get rid of them.

18. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Hello everybody! I'm bringing this over from FF (thanks to squintyfly for finding it and dtwyyz for translating). Nathalie Pechalat did commentary for the SD on Eurosport France and this is what she said:
    Also apparently she had great things to say about Carmen too. I agree with gerbil that my favorite thing about the SD now is the new lightness in it; they just seemed so free. I hope they can skate like that tonight too! Unfortunately wouldn't be able to watch live, but go Tessa and Scott go!! I hope you have the best performance (both technical and artistic) of Carmen yet!

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes, go, guys!

20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

That's great! Thank you Shayii for bringing that to our attention. Very classy for Nathalie to say nice things about her current competitors. To be honest, I agree with her about the lift. It's kind of blah compared to the innovative lifts in Carmen. I hope someone can translate it in more detail and will also do her comments for the FD and to be really greedy, I would be interested in her general thoughts on the other couples.

21. walei

walei Well-Known Member

My favourite part is the Polka section and the twizzles. It always reminds me of a quote from TAT towards another ice dance couple, "they skate like birds!!"

I think you probable know who this couple is BKFan ;).

22. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

For me, I love the beautiful waltz music that flows so seamlessly into and out of the polka music. I just watched the SD again without music, and it is impressive that you can tell exactly which dances they are doing. I agree with walei about twizzles and the polka. I think, overall, the impression of the joy they share in the dance and each other leaves them streets ahead of everyone else. JMO

23. Judy

Judy New Member

I thought I remember V&M saying saying earlier in the season that they thought they might work on a different lift in the SD. I'm trying to remember .. was it at Skate Canada they had trouble with the lift and then changed it to that?

BTW - is the FD tomorrow? I thought it was tonight. I am awful with time time differences I guess.

24. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Yes, it was after Skate Canada that they changed the lift. The original lift was also the one that caused the injury to Scott's neck that made them have to withdraw from Finlandia.

It's at 6am Eastern tomorrow morning. It is a bit confusing--it feels like the FD has been tomorrow for two days now with the time differences and scheduling!

25. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Have their been reliable free feeds for North Americans for 4CC? Trying to decide if it's worth waking up early on a Sunday. :p

And actually, according to the time schedule the last group starts at about 7:45 Eastern and V&M are on at 8AM, which isn't bad.

26. Judy

Judy New Member

Thank you for the clarification - I'll likely be up around 7:00ish or 7:30 but I'm not getting up to see the live reports .. you are also correct about the injury prior to SC and I remember something about Scott saying that they were thinking about changing it later on from the one they are still using. I suspect they've have to make and improve both dances maybe they didn't consider it necessary or important or just didn't have the time.

27. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yes. Before Finlandia, Scott strained his neck a little on a lift (the SD lift) and while they struggled with it at SC. So they went back to a different lift for CoR and are reusing the Funny Face rotational lift here. Given how much they hate reusing elements, I can't imagine it was an easy decision. But they felt they needed to change the footwork to level it up (and got level four here and at SC, so clearly it worked), were changing the footwork in Carmen AND how difficult that FD is in general, I understand it.

More generally, I don't think people have really commented on how V/M go about creating their lifts in any detail. I'm not an expert by any means on their creative process, but it seems to me that they come up with ideas and concepts first and try to make their bodies do them (as opposed to work within the constraints of what they know they can do 0 which is something 99% of those competing seem to do). We saw it with the first (curve) lift in Funny Face that eventually was changed because it was just too difficult to get good GOEs and base value on (indeed, this team loves continuous motion in their lifts, which can drop them down two level two - see the Latin SD lift as well). The choreographic lift in Carmen - insane concept, but just too hard to pull off within the rules effectively (I regret that one, to be honest, because it was such a gutwrenchingly powerful image). I love them for it

My favourite part in the short dance: the tone. It's still so elegant, but joyously so. It's flirtatious, but not trite. Fascinating construction and skating.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Lissa

Lissa New Member

So if I get up, is CBC or anywhere else giving us the live feed? Can anyone help out with this lol thanks!!

29. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Eurosport 2 on Teka TV. You need to regiser but you can even get a free so you won't have to pay the 12.95 US unless you want to also watch the junior worlds. . They will have the Women's Free and the Dance Free live. Pairs is taped and turns up after or between the other two. there's link to Eurosport directly on Hot Blades Hot passion. I couldn't make that work -without downloading something. But Teka works a treat. you can find a link back in the early part of TV alerts on the Forum page. i've watched several events including the Men's Free without any problems.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  30. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Add to my last -That should have read three day free trial. The site is in Russian, but google will translate most of it. If you're going to try it, you'll need to click on TV - then unlock all channels, then find Eurosport2, and click the little grey button above the picture which may or may not be translated as Live. It sounds very fiddley, but believe me, if I can do it, anybody can.