Virtue/Moir #24: We Like it Hot

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Proustable, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Then let them say that. You don't have to stoop to that level.

2. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

3. elle123

elle123 New Member

I agree!

75.12 ... not bad :) I think that's a PB for them for the SD, IIRC.

4. marikat

marikat Active Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. elle123

elle123 New Member

Tessa and Scott are in 1st place after the SD... YIPPEEEEEE :) Even if it's only by 0.44 but considering the odds were stacked against them, this is great news! Looks like they received our good vibes! Let's continue to send good vibes for the FD.

I still don't understand how D/W continue to beat them in PCS, but I'm no expert.

6. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

lol

I haven't seen any videos yet (I just got home), but how did they skate?

7. marikat

marikat Active Member

It was a beautiful skate. :)

8. elle123

elle123 New Member

9. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

It was gorgeous. :D

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Very good skate, but I don't love the ending pose. It seems rushed and they don't seem they can stay in character long enough.

I really love the straightline sequence.

11. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Aw they got rid of the little hug at the beginning. And I too love the straightline sequence; so pretty!

12. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

I really loved the begginning this time, I didn't like it very much in Can Nats, but the end in Canadians was MUCH better. This time it was kinda weird. And I even can't tell you why...

Of course, it's only 0.44, but I will cross my fingers about them to save first place on Sunday. ;)

13. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

V&M won the SD? Yay them :) Cool.

I'm actually surprised. Not because I believe that Tessa and Scott didn't have a great SD or the potential to skate well within them but because many (including some V&M fans and more importantly the judges) have seemed to give D&W the nod for the SD. I haven't seen the performance yet so I can't comment on the very narrow lead.

On paper with a clean skate I'd say that if V&M can win the SD then the FD (Carmen!) should be theirs as well but this quad you never say never. I hope this continues through the FD as well.

Winning the SD if nothing else should further relax Tessa and Scott going into their FD performance. Which is a good thing. Good luck in the FD Tessa and Scott.

14. pani

pani Well-Known Member

After SD Scott said to Oleg - its OK :D Look like Marina like how they skated this time.
    D-W had notceable mistake from Charlie in SS and get level 3 for it, but huge GOe.
    They get on 0,2 ,ore in PCS (the most part is CC and transitions).
    If they skated clean T-S could be second.
    They skated so close to each other in step sequence and i am happy they get levek 4 for it. And they skated big and i love this.
    Plus they were in character (IMHO).
    Good luck in FD! Wish to them skate clean with there passion.

15. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Yes, but Tessa and Scott also got level 3 in one of their polka sequences. If they too got level 4 in that sequence, and everything else was exactly the same, including the GOE for it (and D/W step sequence GOE), they would have lost by 0.06 points. And they still would have lost because of PCSs, not because of the technical score. But we can't really tell have it would have been.

Again - I wish them very, very good luck in the FD. Because if they can't get level 4 at least on one of their step sequences there, then it's going to be even tougher.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  16. Proustable

Proustable New Member

One of the British Eurosport commentators called them the best ice dancers since Torvill and Dean ("Maybe apart for Torvill and Dean, the finest dancers I have ever seen"). Some seriously high praise.

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes. But then he said D-W must win, because Charlie were on today :D This commentators love all skaters. Good for them and for us. :)

19. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

When is the free dance?

20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

The FD is tomorrow night.

Very happy to see them in first, even if it's just by a little. D&W won PCS by Choreo & Transitions, which is reasonable, and Skating Skills, which I guess was due to speed. Carmen has more/better Choreo & Transitions than Notre Dame, so that should bode well in the FD.

Here is the start order for the FD... pretty much the ideal draw, isn't it? Full benefit of the warmup, but not off the ice too long, and right after D&W.

Ice Dance - Free Dance

Starting Order

StN. Name Nation Rank Points
    Warm-Up Group 1
    1 Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG
    CHN
    11 43.17
    2 Pilar MAEKAWA MORENO / Leonardo MAEKAWA MORENO
    MEX
    13 33.37
    3 Anna NAGORNYUK / Viktor KOVALENKO
    UZB
    10 43.32
    4 Bryna OI / Taiyo MIZUTANI
    JPN
    12 33.90
    Warm-Up Group 2
    5 Danielle OBRIEN / Gregory MERRIMAN
    AUS
    8 48.81
    6 Nicole ORFORD / Thomas WILLIAMS
    CAN
    7 53.70
    7 Cathy REED / Chris REED
    JPN
    6 53.97
    8 Emi HIRAI / Marien DE LA ASUNCION
    JPN
    9 44.72
    Warm-Up Group 3
    9 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE
    USA
    2 74.68
    10 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR
    CAN
    1 75.12

11 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER
    CAN
    5 60.20
    12 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
    USA
    3 65.44
    13 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
    USA
    4 63.26

21. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Heard to be second in war-up is ideal place. But i dont think its good for T-S to skate just after D-W.
    Remember in Nice they skated last after I-K, when D-W were ealy in group. It was good.
    Did you really think D-W speed were so much better, then V-M? They gave D-W on 0,5 higher marks for transitions and CC. I disagree with this. Especially because commentatro on British Eurosport said V-M didnt made more then 2 steps in the same position. Isnt this show difficulty of this SD? All this details, moves - its not transitions?
    Then again - D-W not so fast, when they need to do so many jumpes and hoops, so i am not sure i agree with you.
    Plus i am sure judges will not give higher transitions and choreo marks in FD, then in SD, especially i am sure they will be such low, then D-W marks in SD. And "O, Esmeralda" with open mouthes and generick choreo, wich all saw three years in row will get 10th, when "Carmen" will be lucky enough if it get 9,75 in some PCS.
    So thats why i am really impressed with what Tessa and Scott are doing, that they could show strongest SD in this season at international level, get personal best score for SD. Great job, guys!
    Its too long untill FD :( I hope T-S will have great rest before FD and will show there best in FD, like they could did in SD. And will not pay attention to D-W and there marks. They are alwayse overscored, so what a big deal? :p

22. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Here's the thing about speed and skating skills. V/M were incredibly fast last night--without sacrificing any of the other qualities their skating possesses. Speed was in no way an issue. Beyond that though, and I know I'm preaching to the choir here, although it feels that way at times, speed is not the only factor in skating skills. So many other things are meant to be considered under that category--things that V/M unquestionably do better than D/W. Because of that, V/M should hands down be marked higher than D/W when it comes to skating skills.

Also, while D/W are known for being speed demons, I've always thought they weren't as smooth over the ice as V/M and that they don't cover as much ice with each stroke. They're stroking more and not as smooth, which means they're working faster, and I think gives them the illusion that they're a bit faster than they actually are.

23. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I don't like the ending pose either. Seems really forced or something.

My only other nitpick is they were off unison at the end of the straightline. I wonder why they only got level 3 on the second polka pattern?

24. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I am very pleasantly surprised how close the PCS is given V&M's bad start order for the SD. :lol:

25. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

26. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

ITA. Speed was the only possible explanation for the marks, but I agree it is not everything and IMO V&M should have an advantage in skating skills over everyone else.

27. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I've always felt D&W sacrifice good line, unison and polish for speed. I don't like it. Watching V&M and D&W back to back, it's really noticeable how much superior V&M's line and extension are. I couldn't really tell a difference in speed. One thing that stands out to me though is that IMO V&M have a much better looking and larger polka pattern than D&W.

I can see D&W getting higher PCS in Choreo, because it really is a clever piece of choreography, but I don't agree with the other PCS being higher. I know a lot of people love D&W's SD but at times I almost find it painful to watch because they are so UNballetic and yet are skating to a ballet. It really stands out with Charlie in particular to me....his leg looks bent half the time when he's extending behind him and there's no stretch in his foot. And there are times where I find Meryl's arms and hands unpolished/unballetic.

I thought Marina looked quite nervous before D&W's marks came up.

28. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

The ending looks rushed to me too. I'm afraid someone's going to get their nose smacked and end up with a nose-bleed. I wish they'd go back to the pose they had at the beginning of the season.

29. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I've watched both programs back to back a number of times now and I think V&M outskated D&W. I personally think the judges were generous with D&W in comparison. I also have an issue with the whole speed debate. D&W create speed with lots of running, hops and pulling but compare the size of the pattern dance between the two teams and see who creates more speed. I think the changes V&M have made to the SD were the right ones and I think more in keeping with the spirit of the music Hopkins composed (if you saw the video of him in the audience listening to his music being played it's much more in the spirit of the newest SD version).

I actually prefer V&M's SD now to Giselle for the first time this season.

30. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It is a great piece of choreo. It actually occurs to me that I would love to see what V&M, particularly Tessa, could do with it. :shuffle: I have never felt the opposite (wanted to see how D&W would skate a V&M piece).