Virtue/Moir #24: We Like it Hot

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Proustable, Jan 20, 2013.

1. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Keep in mind, broadcasters typically target the general population. A large majority of that population are not avid figure skating fans. These "casual fans" would not go out of their way to watch figure skating on the internet. They would not know or care if 4CC was taped from earlier in the month.

2. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't get this. Canada just hosted the Winter Olympics, won a gold and bronze there, and currently have the reigning World Champions in both ice dance and men's skating. Yet there's not enough interest or respect for the sport to have coverage of 4CC's on the weekend it happens?

3. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Tough question. I think that amateur sport in general doesn't get the media respect or media coverage it deserves in Canada. (Possibly true in the States as well?)

Canada has a small population base to begin with, and the main networks (CBC and CTV) have faced increasing competition, first from various cable sources (all kinds of pay and specialty channels, and American networks), then from internet sources and streams from around the world. CBC and CTV are in some respects fighting for their existence. CBC is a publicly-funded broadcaster, but faces constant budget cuts; at some point it may be privatized. The internet is undermining all the conventional media outlets. Hard-core skating fans will go there. When it comes to the general public, CBC (which holds the 4CC rights) may not feel that 4CC (which doesn't have the profile of Nationals or Worlds) would generate viewer numbers to compare with some kinds of alternative programming it could offer in that live timeslot.

ETA: Former CTV executive Johnny Esaw had a real love and respect for figure skating, and back in his day figure skating was very well-covered by CTV. He retired long ago; figure skating no longer has a strong advocate within CTV.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  4. flowerpower

.del

Removed duplicate post.

5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

del

6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Virtue and Moir have two world titles to their credit, while Davis and White have one.

7. flowerpower

^
    Well it just goes to show how well-informed and accurate media stories about figure skating tend to be these days ;)... (and that's from V/M's hometown paper!) There are other things I'd quibble about in the article as well, but whatever...

8. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I suppose a good comparison in the U.S. would be swimming. A ton of people watched Michael Phelps win his golds in Beijing, but after that, it was hard to find coverage of swimming until the next Olympics.

V/M seemed like they would be so marketable after they won, I thought they would have generated greater interest in the sport. Oh well.

And from an author who has been covering V/M every year for years.

9. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

The article doesn't say D&W won two world titles. Either Rainbow misread it or it's been corrected.

10. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

It was corrected.

11. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Typical of this newspaper. They make that kind of mistake all the time -- especially in sports articles that AREN'T about their beloved Jr A hockey team aka the London Knights.

12. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Either Skate Canada didn't, or couldn't, generate sufficient publicity after V/M's Gold medal win at the Vancouver Olympics. At GS, I wrote my explanation in response to someone who also thought V/M would have had more attention. The relevant portion of that post is copied below...

To add to the above, even Jon Montgomery (a Canadian Skeleton event Gold medalist) received more publicity. After his win, he was filmed walking down the Whistler village street drinking beer from a pitcher, which a nearby fan handed to him (that clip was played on TV multiple times). I recall Tessa & Scott were later honoured by being seated at the head table with the Queen during a formal dinner. Although the newspapers mentioned the Queen's visit, I didn't see anything mentioning Tessa & Scott. Maybe if they had chugged a beer in front of the Queen, they would have been noticed in the media ;). Although V/M are huge celebrities within the figure skating niche, many in the general public still do not know who they are (or any other figure skater for that matter...Yuna who?). The skaters the general public seem to recognize most (at least their names), are the ones who have established themselves over many years eg. Kurt Browning, etc.

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think this was becasue V-M want to compete after 2010 OG ad didnt haveso many time for do some pR, because of Tessas injuries and surgeries.
    I remeber after OG Igor said T-S was asked to play in movie. But they didint want, just want to skate.
    But at the same time i think Canadian press could be more respectfull for V-M. If you will read article after Nationals about D-W this all was about "they maybe best in history" and nothing about they could lose to there long time rivals. who is the best. :)
    But from other hand - something must happened for figure skaters people start recognise them. For example Kurt, who never could get medal at OG and had long careers. Or like Rochett - people know her because what happened with her mother at OG :(
    FS now very popular in Asia. In Russia. But not in NA. But things could change in future.

14. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

thank god they changed it. i was going to say that the canadian media screwed up big time and that they were doing d/w and the usfsa a favour by making d/w seem just as good as v/m which is what the us media has been trying to do in the coverage of nationals

sometimes i feel like this stupid country doesn't give a shit about figure skating anymore. in the article i posted some ungrateful douchebag said something along the lines that london 2013 was the biggest waste of taxpayer money (umm hello i can think of other things that are the biggest waste of taxpayer money such as hockey but no one DARES to complain about that)

like i would pay ANYTHING to see v/m compete in my city

15. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Interesting convo. Honestly though part of this is I don't think Tessa and Scott want to be exposed and known by a larger audience. They've said before that they like their privacy. I've always felt if they wanted more exposure they could easily get it, but they don't (and there's nothing wrong with that).

And some of the comments in the article is so mean.

16. ofdarkness

ofdarkness New Member

I think it may be a "chicken or the egg" situation. Do Canadians have little interest in figure skating because it doesn't have much exposure (esp on TV), or does it not get exposure because Canadians are not interested in it? In addition, I think a large part of it is that Tessa and Scott are such private people. Other skaters writing blogs, etc, while they don't, but I see it as their personal nature, which is fine.

17. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

I think Canadians (or any other country) needs recognizable idols to generate interest. Were Romanians significantly interested in Gymnastics before Nadia? Were Koreans significantly interested in figure skating before Yuna? How interested would the Japanese be in figure skating if their skaters dwindled away for decades? If Tessa and Scott didn't want that level of publicity, who remained for Canada? Just Joannie, and she immediately retired. Remember, Patrick Chan was not a medalist at the Vancouver Olympics (5th). The Olympics is were the "general public" are more likely to establish their future idols. They are less likely to tune into Worlds etc. if they don't believe there are home grown heroes to cheer. News papers and TV broadcasters then become less interested, if they sense the general public is not interested. It becomes a downward spiral until the next Olympic cycle hopefully establishes new idols.

Perhaps figure skating popularity may improve in Canada after Sochi. Now Canada has hope for the future with D/R and MT/M in pairs, Patrick in Mens singles, V/M in dance, and Osmond in Ladies singles (not to mention the other teens on the rise from Juniors). I was surprised to see a two full page article about Canada's top skaters in the Toronto star during the Canadian Nationals week. It included a large photo of Osmond. Hopefully a good sign for the future?

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

It's not like Tessa and Scott are a couple of nobodies. They were the cover story of Maclean's (Canada's leading news magazine--which doesn't mean much, but whatever) in the middle of the Olympics. They published a book. They have been on most major Canadian TV interview/news programs.

However, I do acknowledge that they could've done more to capitalize on their tremendous achievements. As a Vancouverite, I still see many Canadian athletes from 2010 doing autograph signing sessions in the area, making speeches, appearing for an opening of a business, major parties and functions, etc. They are putting themselves out there. Being an Olympic athlete is not cheap--you have to hustle. Maybe V&M are just not inclined to do that.

I wonder if the team event will help make skating more popular.

19. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Yes that's what I was trying to say above as well. I don't think they care if people know who they are or not. Like a lot of the exposure/attention they got four years ago just happened to come with the territory of winning the gold medal, not because they necessarily they sought it out.

Anyways how's everybody feeling about 4CC and Worlds? I'll be honest and say I think they will have to be absolutely perfect and then some (a lot actually) to win.

20. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I don't think they're going to win either one. I do think they'll skate well enough that they should win both though. My interpretation of the LFP article was that it was preparing people so they'll accept the fact that it's not happening by the time worlds gets here.

21. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I felt the same way reading the article, I just didn't want to say it out loud. It felt like they're trying to prepare people for their inevitable loss. And no, it's not just that I'm panicking (I've already made my peace with it) I really think that is what will happen.

22. aka_gerbil

I'm not panicking either. I am mad and upset though. Pre-determined results are not fun or fair.

23. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

:( sucks.

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

But who is preparing people? The newspaper? It doesn't have any quotes from Tessa, Scott, or Marina saying they are not ready. It's just an opinion piece. I will note two things from the article...

First off, the home ice fairy tale doesn’t happen very often.

Only three times in history have Canadians won the worlds in their native land. Kurt Browning did it in Halifax in 1990 while pairs Jamie Sale and David Pelletier (2001 in Vancouver) and Barb Underhill and Paul Martini came through in 1984 at Ottawa.

And how many times did Canadians win the Olympics in their home country? I can think of one. ;)

Winning the title where you grew up is incredibly rare. Just ask Roman Kostomorov, a Russian ice dancer who, with partner Tatiana Navka, pulled off the feat in Moscow in 2005.

It helps that they were the reigning World Champions in ice dance. ;)

I actually feel pretty positive about Worlds. Not sure about 4CC. If there as an assumption out there that V&M will win Worlds, then the other events may be given away as consolation prizes. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if that is Marina's endgame. I can just see her going around at GPF telling the judges that Tessa and Scott are still getting ready, but oh, look how wonderful D&W are skating! And then to turn right around at Worlds and tell them look how beatifully V&M's programs came along, don't they look great? It is her job to keep two sides happy.

25. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I'd love to be a fly on the wall behind the scenes at 4ccs and Worlds to hear what Marina is saying to judges, tech callers etc. I wouldn't be surprised if she's politicking more for Davis and White these days.

26. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Saying Canadian skaters have only ever won Worlds on home soil 3 times in history, is not completely informative. There have been 60 World championships since 1952. Seven of those were held in Canada. That would be 3/7 = 43% success rate. If V/M win in London, that would rise to 4/8 = 50%

27. aka_gerbil

True that it doesn't have any quotes, but this is V/M's hometown/home area newspaper and a journalist who has interviewed them many times before. Even without quotes, it doesn't mean that he hasn't been tipped off to put the idea out there for the hometown not to expect a win.

This isn't little league soccer though. It's elite-level figure skating. Consolation prizes should not be handed out to D/W because people assume V/M will win worlds. V/M are the better team and the better team should win, end of story.

I wouldn't be surprised either.

28. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

29. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

i think the article is an improvement from the nationals promo articles. it actually talks about how complicated the program is and how interesting and difficult it would be for v/m to win. legit hype, imo.

eta: and when v/m win worlds, d/w fans will start complaining about home ice advantage (actually, they already are) so we can bring up this article to point out that even v/m's hometown paper didn't think that a win would come easily. in fact, it is actually the hardest worlds to win and will be v/m's greatest achievement, short of winning olympics in vancouver and defending their olympic title. :lol::p:D:scream:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  30. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

I actually don't think there's anything sinister about the article, just a writer who neglected to check one fact .. number of world championships won by each couple. And even though he's a hometown writer, it doesn't mean that he's up to date on V&M and knowledgeable about figure skating. :)