Virtue/Moir #24: We Like it Hot

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Proustable, Jan 20, 2013.

1. iggie

iggie New Member

? where is this from?
  2. ofdarkness

ofdarkness New Member

George Stroumboulopoulos. Looks like it was filmed when they were in Toronto for the CN Tower thing.
  3. iggie

iggie New Member

4. iggie

iggie New Member

5. iggie

iggie New Member

the archives may have the full interview tomorrow . . .
  6. iggie

iggie New Member

second flight for v/m. last flight for d/w. if you think skate position affects scores . . . assuming both skate fabulously, i feel like they'll hold back on v/m to see what d/w can do and once they've seen d/w (basically last), they're free to pile it on. but skating after g/p will only help . . . night and day.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?40082-2013-4CC-s-Ice-Dance-SD
  7. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thank you, that sounds cute. Sending positive energy to Tess and Scott right now.

Misha I'm trying to be positive right now so I wouldn't say how I feel about the start orders lol.
  8. iggie

iggie New Member

as much as they want to say that they mark only what's on the ice right then, they're still comparing, if even for consistency. and if v/m and d/w are skating so far apart, then it becomes a problem. tessa and scott might as well skate first and d/w last for how logical this starting order is. i don't now think they'll lose the sd, but it's a disadvantage -- not just skating before d/w but being so far away that they're in another flight
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  9. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Aw BKF, seriously your attention to detail is amazing! Very sweet, thank you.
  10. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

IIRC didn't Tess /Scott dance in a previous group to M/C at 2011 Worlds SD. I thought I remembered them being marked higher at that event in SD.?? Or could have been 4C's.
  11. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. But they drew the number themselves so it's just bad luck. But it's all good.

Ofdarkness, the W/P video is posted in their thread :)
  12. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

George Strombo is a seriously talented, wickedly smart media personality (his radio show is off the hooks too) and some of his interviews are top of the heap because he actually listens actively to his guests and reacts to the moment. Looking forward to seeing the Patrick/VM interview.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. iggie

iggie New Member

alternatively, being surrounded by such low ranked teams can make judges appreciate v/m that much more :slinkaway no? ok, no. anyway, 2011 was a long time ago, things have changed . . . i'm not saying that they're guaranteed to lose the sd with this draw, but it's not the best.
  14. iggie

iggie New Member

what if they HAD picked first and d/w last? jeez, stick with world rankings and figure something else out for those who don't have rankings. you want to group teams together who have the same talent.
  15. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I agree!
  16. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

17. iggie

iggie New Member

:)

overall though. i'm pretty mellow. i still haven't decided if i think they'll win or lose, but neither is a big deal to me. maybe i've just been a fan for too long and i just take everything in stride.
  18. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Don't wish falls on other people. It's bad karma.
  19. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I can't believe she was serious with that. I would never want my team to win because others fell or made other major mistakes. I don't think it's funny at all. I hope the comment is deleted.
  20. rainbowkisses

i never wished that on them im just saying that its possible. anything is possible *shrug*

also if im creating bad karma for v/m, then d/w must have alot of bad karma considering their stans always flat out wish for v/m to fall
  21. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Then let them say that. You don't have to stoop to that level.
  22. rainbowkisses

23. elle123

elle123 New Member

I agree!

75.12 ... not bad :) I think that's a PB for them for the SD, IIRC.
  24. marikat

marikat Active Member

25. elle123

elle123 New Member

Tessa and Scott are in 1st place after the SD... YIPPEEEEEE :) Even if it's only by 0.44 but considering the odds were stacked against them, this is great news! Looks like they received our good vibes! Let's continue to send good vibes for the FD.

I still don't understand how D/W continue to beat them in PCS, but I'm no expert.
  26. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

lol

I haven't seen any videos yet (I just got home), but how did they skate?
  27. marikat

marikat Active Member

It was a beautiful skate. :)
  28. elle123

elle123 New Member

29. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

It was gorgeous. :D
  30. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Very good skate, but I don't love the ending pose. It seems rushed and they don't seem they can stay in character long enough.

I really love the straightline sequence.
  31. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Aw they got rid of the little hug at the beginning. And I too love the straightline sequence; so pretty!
  32. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

I really loved the begginning this time, I didn't like it very much in Can Nats, but the end in Canadians was MUCH better. This time it was kinda weird. And I even can't tell you why...

Of course, it's only 0.44, but I will cross my fingers about them to save first place on Sunday. ;)
  33. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

V&M won the SD? Yay them :) Cool.

I'm actually surprised. Not because I believe that Tessa and Scott didn't have a great SD or the potential to skate well within them but because many (including some V&M fans and more importantly the judges) have seemed to give D&W the nod for the SD. I haven't seen the performance yet so I can't comment on the very narrow lead.

On paper with a clean skate I'd say that if V&M can win the SD then the FD (Carmen!) should be theirs as well but this quad you never say never. I hope this continues through the FD as well.

Winning the SD if nothing else should further relax Tessa and Scott going into their FD performance. Which is a good thing. Good luck in the FD Tessa and Scott.
  34. pani

pani Well-Known Member

After SD Scott said to Oleg - its OK :D Look like Marina like how they skated this time.
    D-W had notceable mistake from Charlie in SS and get level 3 for it, but huge GOe.
    They get on 0,2 ,ore in PCS (the most part is CC and transitions).
    If they skated clean T-S could be second.
    They skated so close to each other in step sequence and i am happy they get levek 4 for it. And they skated big and i love this.
    Plus they were in character (IMHO).
    Good luck in FD! Wish to them skate clean with there passion.
  35. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Yes, but Tessa and Scott also got level 3 in one of their polka sequences. If they too got level 4 in that sequence, and everything else was exactly the same, including the GOE for it (and D/W step sequence GOE), they would have lost by 0.06 points. And they still would have lost because of PCSs, not because of the technical score. But we can't really tell have it would have been.

Again - I wish them very, very good luck in the FD. Because if they can't get level 4 at least on one of their step sequences there, then it's going to be even tougher.
  36. Proustable

Proustable New Member

One of the British Eurosport commentators called them the best ice dancers since Torvill and Dean ("Maybe apart for Torvill and Dean, the finest dancers I have ever seen"). Some seriously high praise.
  37. pani

pani Well-Known Member

38. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes. But then he said D-W must win, because Charlie were on today :D This commentators love all skaters. Good for them and for us. :)
  39. Golightly

Golightly New Member

When is the free dance?
  40. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

The FD is tomorrow night.

Very happy to see them in first, even if it's just by a little. D&W won PCS by Choreo & Transitions, which is reasonable, and Skating Skills, which I guess was due to speed. Carmen has more/better Choreo & Transitions than Notre Dame, so that should bode well in the FD.

Here is the start order for the FD... pretty much the ideal draw, isn't it? Full benefit of the warmup, but not off the ice too long, and right after D&W.

Ice Dance - Free Dance

Starting Order

StN. Name Nation Rank Points
    Warm-Up Group 1
    1 Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG
    CHN
    11 43.17
    2 Pilar MAEKAWA MORENO / Leonardo MAEKAWA MORENO
    MEX
    13 33.37
    3 Anna NAGORNYUK / Viktor KOVALENKO
    UZB