Virtue & Moir # 23 - Dance Me To The End Of Love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

2. whoa

whoa Member

Loving the semi-flippity 'do Scott has going on in the SD.
    I wish I could give three Michelin stars for this program in the 2012-2013 SD category.

3. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Back home from the competition. I missed the morning practice, but was going to post during the competition. Unfortunately the building's wireless sucks. I could not establish a reliable internet connection. Not certain why, since it worked OK earlier in the week during Novice and Junior events. Since Seniors events started, the wireless connection has been faulty via my iPod Touch. Maybe better luck tomorrow, but I wouldn't count on it.

Tessa and Scott's SD was great. Judging by the posts on this thread, it appears everyone has already seen it :laugh: Next comes Carmen live, then the Gala. I understand the Nexxice syncro team will also be performing.

4. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reports! Have a great time tomorrow. Does anybody here happen to have a link to Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch's FP skate, I like them and I want to see it so bad!

5. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Someone posted this on youtube. It appears to be recorded from a TV.
    Still looking for the Long.

Short program: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQCuzBePgsQ

Kirsten and Dylan did great. Except for a two footed landing in a Loop throw, they performed a clean program. They received a standing ovation and loud cheering from everyone in the audience. Unfortunately for them, Meagan and Eric performed completely clean.

ETA: Couldn"t find the LP, so I uploaded it myself...

http://youtu.be/4quSvMce6Z8

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  6. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

Holy Cow! Wow, wow, wow.

I was one of the few who loved the original version of V&M's SD. I have to say now that it turns out that was a good thing that many (including Scott and Tessa) were not happy with what they originally had.

I have a feeling that pre Worlds I'm going to be spending alot of time alternating between watching this and Carmen. I thought that the original SD was a great companion to Carmen. One program excellent and the FD epic. Now the SD is IMO equal to Carmen and more than capable of getting marks every bit as good as Carmen should if they skate the way they have at Canadians thus far.

I love Tracy's comments on the marking. Her being fair and pointing out that yes, the 79+ came at Canadians but that it was spot on remembering how a Canadian panel were really hard on V&M last season. If V&M can repeat this performance or even improve on it, I believe that they can fairly get the same marks internationally. Especially given that both at home and internationally Tessa and Scott are made to work for every point they get. I like their strategy; make the judges give them what they deserve based on what they put on the ice. Nothing will be handed to them.

On a lighter note, I love Tessa and Scott's SD costumes and am glad they kept them. I wasn't sure if they would change them since they changed the feel and choreography of the program. Jennifer Swan is now 3 for 3 when it comes to choreographing programs for V&M. They really should keep her on for next season.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

I think this is a different version than the one posted above. Sorry if it's not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8sbmRhIjzU

eta:
    Marks aside, I always knew as we all have that V&M's basic skating is incredible but watching that slow motion replay made my jaw hit the floor. There was no part of Tessa and Scott's bodies that were out of line with one another whether they were skating in a closed hold or during the twizzle section. I felt as if I should be looking for the invisible string or something holding them together. They really have upped their performance level and then some. As always that chemistry with one another is off the charts.

Congratulations to those who got to witness that performance live.

I'm so happy for V&M.

8. pani

pani Well-Known Member

O, Scott :lol: Thank you! I like PJ blog :)
    And what a strong pairs competitions at Canadian Nationals! Just amazing.

I am happy if they are happy with what they are doing. :)

9. martyross

martyross Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly, Carmen, this SD is on par with the FD now! The same intensity, vivid vibration, although conveyed in a tender mood.. I absolutely love the way Tessa’s long glide perfectly matches the languid melody of the violins at the beginning. She becomes a violin.
    they not only tell their own story with such intimate feeling, they also capture and reveal the inner spirit of the piece. It’s a dramatic, romantic yet gentle, playful music and they totally made it their own like a second (or first) skin. It’s like taking a look in the soul of two human beings.
    It’s sophisticated work of art in which life and skating merge and become one. I see many different moods expressed in it, but above all, you can sense the deep joy, pleasure, longing and adoration for what they do… and for each other :) It even reminds me of a poem by Nietzsche that says “Joy - deeper than heart's agony / Woe says: Fade! Go! / But all joy wants eternity / Wants deep, deep, deep eternity!”
    I find this waltz is similar to Halleluja. In both, they themselves are the main characters. For this reason those two are their most poetic programs :)

10. marikat

marikat Active Member

11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

This, this, this. When someone skates a program the way they skated it, they simply leave no argument for the judges to deny them the title. From a figure skating perspective you have deep edges to die for and a totally effortless command of the ice, and you combine it with supreme dancing - musical, in perfect harmony with each other and the music, in position at all times, just perfection. This is not to say that I agree with the times that they were marked down, just saying something like the choreo lift in the GPF FD gives the judges a window of opportunity, and this doesn't. Even if I hated this team, I wouldn't be able to deny that program was perfection.

I'm getting tingly at the idea of them skating their Carmen FD with that level of intensity today. :swoon:

It says I can't rep you again just yet, so let me say how much I enjoy the way that you express your feelings and thoughts about their programs. You're very articulate and always get me to appreciate their artistry even more. :)

13. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I'm comforted by the fact that they have someone for themselves and just themselves. It's why I've always felt Igor and Marina could never serve both V&M and D&W with their very best, because they had to give each the same. At this stage of both their careers they each need someone who will look at what's out there and say this is what I think you need to come out on top.

14. Sahararainfall

Sahararainfall Active Member

Sweet! My mother was a teacher for more than 30 years and every time she meets a former student who has done really well in life, she gets really emotional and sentimental. What would it be like for Jennifer Swan, to not only see Carmen live, but to see the girl she taught baby ballet 20 years ago in action as a woman in the dance form she had chosen, dancing a program Ms Swan herself helped create, it should be real sweet. Hope Scott and Tessa make her proud.

I am a little bit in the same boat in that I personally like the old storyline better, a mini-FD SD, but I think this edition of the SD really works much better in tandem with Carmen. It’s vintage Virtue-Moir, in a genre they have mastered and second to none. This lighter SD would highlight better the contrast with Carmen. It would be like seeing a polka/waltz version of Mahler back to back with Carmen, one program highlighting the sweet, joyful, beautiful aspect of love back to back with a program about the darker, possessive, and destructive kind of love.

Yes, where does one end and the other begins? :D

http://www.co-si.com/body-works-for-singers/

I haven’t seen this link before when I searched Jennifer Swan in Google before, so it must be pretty recent, informally acknowledging “Ms. Swan is on the training/choreography team of Olympic gold medalists Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir (Ice Dancing).” Like many, I hope she stays on board for next year.

Good luck to Tessa and Scott! I hope they really bring Carmen on and perform as well as they did the SD. :)

15. Proustable

Proustable New Member

The ice coverage on the non-touching steps was insane.

16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

So FD will not be shown "live"? Did RDS upload video like TSN did?

17. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Oh thank you so much! That was great! Have fun at the arena today and everybody else there.

Wishing Tessa and Scott an amazing skate today. Hope they skate lights out like yesterday!

18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I also feel it would be nice if Anthony Hopkins was at Worlds able to watch his waltz music being treated so beautifully by them. I wonder if he will show up.

19. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

You're joking right ;)

20. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Just watch Dylan and Kirsten LP. They look so fast. So maybe its all stream? Skaters look faster, then at GP.

21. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Does anybody know what time the FD is gonna be competed in Canada?

22. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Ya never know. He is Canadian :). Maybe someone will send him a vid.

23. pani

pani Well-Known Member

13-00. They will show it on RDS. But on TSN they will show FS from 16-00 untill 18-00

24. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Anthony Hopkins is Welsh. He even sounds like he's from that part of the world ;) Is it possible you have him mixed up with someone else?

25. elle123

elle123 Member

I think overall the skaters have been faster this week. I'm very impressed and pleased at the depth of Canadian skating and the potential of the up-and-comers.

26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

So the question is - is this impression from TSN vdeo or they really was so fast?

27. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Whooo hooo at the arena and the zambonis are going. Freedance to come sooooo excited!!

28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Cool! Hope to read some report fom you!

29. martyross

martyross Active Member

dear Cherub, thank you so much for your words <3
    Watching again, I can&#8217;t help to see in this program all their free programs from 2007, but in no particular order. There is not a clear story line, it&#8217;s more like a patchwork of moments and emotions of their relationship until now.
    Even though their journey together started a lot of time before, it&#8217;s easy to associate the opening in pizzicato to the Valse triste opening. Like in that malincholic program, you can picture them as two figures becoming alive in the snow and in the winter fog, two beautiful young people who start dancing together in the freeze; they know each other through dancing and always through dancing they create a strong bond between them. that is the beginning of everything. You see Tessa turning round and go back to look at Scott smiling, as they&#8217;re learning each other&#8217;s personality and appreciating each other more and more.
    The discovered passion of dancing together, but also the pains of hard training, the sacrifice of their youth, the agony of the injuries and the self-doubts of the journey can be felt in the intense and bitter-sweet melody of the piece, but their love for skating is as excruciating as the hardships themselves, so they keep going on, and their faith (that a victory over all this is possible) doesn&#8217;t fade. the complicated pattern of holds and turns of the waltz shows ther mutual support through all the challenges, as they start to unfold the complicated pattern of their lives to the audience.
    The playful polka is a break in all this intensity, it&#8217;s about the good times of their training, the fun of those moments in which Scott makes her laugh. I have to add that their carefree and vivacious steps are so infectious that for the first time in my life I felt like dancing a polka at 2 a.m. (:) The fantastic carillon tunes that we hear during the twizzles are all about the tenderness and playfulness of their relationship (and that&#8217;s where I most choke up).
    The reprise of the waltz, which is the third movement of the piece like in a Mozart sonata, merge everything that was said before and at the same time looks forward facing the future as the journey continues. The highs and lows of this unique journey are smoothed by their strong love for skating, that for me is the theme of the dance.

30. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

At the rink. 15 minutes to go. Internet Ok for now, but may fail when more people connect.

In the first row at ice level. Should get a good view of that lift now.

Starting order...

Melissande Dumas/David Mackay Perry
    Larissa Van As/Troy Shindle
    Andreanne Poulin/Marc Andre Servant
    Elisabeth Paradis/Francois Xavier Ouellette
    Kharis Ralph/Asher Hill
    Nicole Orford/Thomas Williams
    Alexandra Paul/Mitchell Islam
    Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier
    Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013