Virtue & Moir # 23 - Dance Me To The End Of Love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Dec 8, 2012.

1. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you! Hope this is work in progress. And we can find some new articles after GPF.

3. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

Good points but (and I posted this before but didn't hit submit) while it's true that V&M were clearly skating better than at their two GP qualifying events but not as good as they will be at the end of the season, shouldn't the judges be judging them against the rest of the field right now? The judges shouldn't be judging V&M against the best they have skated in the past or how much better they will be in the future. Tessa and Scott can and surely will be even better but that doesn't (or shouldn't) change how they skated against the rest of the dance teams last weekend. And like others I feel that they were still the best of the field in the FD.

Anyway, I'm glad that even if Scott was upset he managed to hold it in. At least in public. How calm he and Tessa were after the fact is very encouraging to me. This time around, I don't think we will see what we did last year. V&M beating themselves up so much and putting so much pressure on themselves to be first that it began effecting their performances. By the end of the season I have no doubt that V&M can blow away the rest of the field. That's what they have power over; what the judges chose to do is out of their hands. No matter where they end up, the audiences will still be talking about Carmen years from now. After reading a few of the articles after the GPF, it seems that being creative and artistic is important to them as well. They knocked it out of the park in that respect.

4. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I agree with that and that D&W are skating their FD closer to it's full potential than V&M are at this point in the season. The only thing that causes me concern (calm concern at this point) is the Choreography and Interpretation marks. Particularly the interpretation mark because when I think of the programs we have seen this year I think the best interpreted FD is without doubt V&Ms Carmen. It's strong, bold and even if you never heard of Carmen and didn't recognize the music it's obvious the story they are telling so I would say they are extremely successful in getting their concept across to the audience. Contrast that to D&W and it isn't obvious to me what story they are telling. I know it's Notre Dame and because I know the story I can attribute that knowledge to the choreography but even then I don't feel it's clear at all the characters they are portraying, I see no difference in the roles here versus their roles in Samson or the Phantom. It was also one of my criticisms of A&P back in the day. Both teams do a certain type of music well, they are impressive in what they do, but I feel the music is there to tell their story for them. In some ways I think B&S interpret their program better as I feel they are somewhat successful in getting their concept across, needed a little help to fill in the blanks but once done you understand the meaning behind the choreography.

So it makes me wonder ever so slightly if the program is too bold for some of the judges or if they are too close to the ice and too focused on the elements they miss the bigger picture. I guess we┬┤ll see as the season goes on, I'll sit in hope that by Worlds they can objectively look at the programs and see them for what they are. At least in Choreography and Interpretation.

5. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

I wonder too, bmcg.

Do you remember last year when we talked about the main differences between Funny Face and Die Fledermaus? Not just the programs, but the role each music played in helping (or NOT helping) carry the teams across the ice?

Now we have two very dynamic musics and yet, Virtue and Moir, not content with letting the music help them, they go beyond and make the music a participant. They interact with it and then the program becomes a dialogue between them and the music: this sort of "you give me that, I give you this in return". And back and forth they go throughout the program.

In contrast, Davis and White take a more direct approach: here's the music, I use it to go from A to B and because they are such great athletes, it works. I am NOT saying they are exprensionless, I am merely saying that the way both teams use musics that are easier to build a program around is completely different. For Davis and White, the music is a vehicle; for Virtue and Moir, it's another character. Since I am a dancer and much more in synch with my artistic self than my pragmatic one, I am going to prefer the latter approach. But seeing that V-M are more in touch with the artistic side of their programs, it baffles me that this isn't getting there PCS-wise. I wish I could find an explanation for that too. I also hope that future judges appreciate the art behind this program. I know this is a sport, we leave that to the tech panel. But this deserves much, much better in the PCS department. I think we all know this. I am not even asking the judging to give them tens, this program isn't even there yet, but I think it was undermarked artistically. I do.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I don't believe PCS makes the distinctions that you are making with regards to approach to music.

Program Component Explanations

Program Component Overview

7. Golightly

I know that. I've read the rules. I was just saying that being more artistic in a program should count.

8. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Oh, sorry. I thought you were saying that you were trying to find an explanation for why the program isn't getting there PCS-wise.

9. Golightly

Nope. That, for the life of me. I can't explain.

10. marikat

marikat Active Member

11. rainbowkisses

12. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Do you know when it will be broadcast?

13. marikat

marikat Active Member

March 7 2013.

14. girlscouse62

thanks marikat

15. rainbowkisses

16. girlscouse62

Thanks to you rainbow, I did

17. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

20. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Me too.:).....although it was a tough decision between them and Patrick.

21. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I voted for them too. Patrick got a number of accolades last year. T&S deserve some especially because of all her troubles and their grit.

22. Golightly

Tessa and Scott. For coming back the way they did, for Tessa especially. Such determination. Like she says, they have the titles, it would've been easier to retire and leave it at that, no one would've criticized them for it. But they chose to continue and she went through another surgery just to come back.

23. pani

pani Well-Known Member

24. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Scott is at the start of the video doing the ropes. Don't see Tessa.

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I notice Scott too. Look like this video more about Patrick :) Maybe they will show parts with T-S of-ice pratice.

26. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

It's just a quick shot, but isn't Tessa the one on the bicycle?

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

No, it was Page Lowrens

28. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

tessa doesnt ride a bike!

29. Judy

Judy New Member

When is CBC airing it? I saw something advertised last weekend which was showing skating fans etc and it was supposed to air in March?

30. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

rainbowkisses, thanks for the link. I voted and just in time as the poll ends in a few hours (I think I'm reading it right).

V&M have just upped their games so much this season. Not only in the programs they've chosen but also their skating is better than it's ever been.