Virtue/Moir #16: You can't blame me for feeling amorous

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Mar 31, 2012.

1. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I know. I was deprived of a B/A Disco OD and it makes me very sad.

I've seen that Marina quote in quite a few articles this week, and I'm scratching my head too, because I don't remember at all her saying V/M's scores were too low at the GPF.

2. martyross

martyross New Member

yes she did in one of the pre-worlds articles...just before the SD.

3. martyross

martyross New Member

ISU is stingy :D

4. aka_gerbil

I know she did. I may be misinterpreting, but I felt like in the articles it was trying to be insinuated that she said that at the time of the GPF, which I'm sure she didn't.

5. martyross

martyross New Member

ahahahah...this. makes me immediately think of Scott and Tessa sitting on rocky chairs before a fireplace, recalling the good old days with a crocky voice. it also reminds of vampires and stuff.

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Maybe she is bandwagon-jumping after the win at 4CC... :shuffle:

or maybe Fedor and Meryl broke up
    :EVILLE:

7. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

The exhibition is okay - I love watching them any time - so thanks for sharing the link as I slept in today and don't get to see it until tonight on CBC.

I always enjoy their exhibitions - but generally I don't go back and watch too many of them. They are probably too busy trying to be the best they can be with their competition programs and being careful with Tessa's legs- but I think they could have much better EX programs than they tend to.

I know some people say it's cheesy - but I loved their ballet / hockey guy program.

8. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

Right around the time where people started to write in places like this that 1) They should jump ship and leave Canton b/c S/Z were pulling their weight behind D/W and 2) When others started to say that V/M won 4CC and Worlds because Scott complained.

9. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

Can someone remember specifically whether Marina said this immediately after 4CC vs just before Worlds? I seem to recall the latter but can't be certain.

10. martyross

martyross New Member

she said that on March 26th.

"Even on Monday, following their first practice here, the couple’s coach Marina Zoueva — she also coaches Davis and White — was not letting go of that allegedly misjudged event: “The marks were a little bit low, definitely under-marked."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/artic...-their-twilight-no-matter-what-the-judges-say

to me it sounds like she was criticizing the judges more than implying that TS were better than DW.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  11. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

It's not clear whether she was referring to the FD or the SD or both.

12. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

LOL. That exhibition program looked rough at best, but I am glad they were having fun. Seems to me they were improvising a little, too. I suppose they'll need to practice more for SOI. When you guys mentioned the PF lift I thought it was the combo one, which I love, but this one I loved too. I am glad Tessa can still do it.

13. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

I really like the new EX, though it's still rough around the edges, and it shows off their dance ability. I honestly don't think there's a style these two haven't tried. Talk about versitility.

14. Bue

Bue New Member

That's generous :lol: I actually thought they were going to stop at one point! And the dress is HIDEOUS. But it's got potential, for sure. Let's hope they put some effort into improving it before next season because they could do such amazing galas. IMO, they really haven't in recent seasons. Of course, I'll take a gold medal over a great gala any day...

15. elle123

elle123 New Member

I agree, a disco OD would be awesome and a lot of fun.

I'm not sure I liked Tessa's EX dress - it's a lot flashier than we're used to seeing with her but it suited the music so I guess there's that haha They seem to be having lots of fun skating it so that's all that matters :)

16. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Me too. When I saw it in practice this morning I was really surprised, knowing she's had trouble with the split position.

The new ex looks rough and they need a little more speed, but it's fun and cute and they enjoy performing it. Scott does goof around a lot, but they made sure to repeat all the steps several times this morning. I'm sure they'll get to practice it more after the World Team Trophy. Also, the dress looks so much better live, the TV image really doesn't do it justice. It's the sparkliest thing I've seen in my life:), and yet not tacky in the least. It looks really good on Tessa.

17. twinktwink

twinktwink New Member

Love the new thread title, very appropriate for us all :)

The new exhibition was fun and yeah I agree with the majority that its very rough around the edges but I'm sure once they're more comfortable with it, it will look great. They had fun and I couldn't help smiling goofily along with it and laughing by the end because of the massive grins they had on their faces. They're happiness was infectious :)

18. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Aw that made me smile. Super fun exhibition.

19. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think Tessa is one elegant lady and even the sparkly dress is in perfect taste.

20. Sahararainfall

Sahararainfall New Member

I started laughing after the slow portion, when it changed back to faster tempo and they started doing the disco moves. I thought Scott wouldn't know the steps. :lol: And I really LOL-ed at the hip bump portion. Was there a blooper at around 02:43? I could hear someone laughing in the background. Skating purists probably will not be happy with ice coverage and stationary dancing, but yea, that gala number really looks fun with lots of potential. You almost think they forgot they are on ice wearing blades but actually in a disco house somewhere. :D Somebody contact Nigel Lithgoe and request these two do a guest number in SYTYCD Canada. Any dance will do.

As for the dress, well the disco era is not exactly known for great fashion taste so...:lol: Perhaps pants will be better, I don't know.

ETA: Anyone else suddenly in the mood to watch some more disco because of that gala? Here's a link to a SYTYCD Disco collection. This dance sure looks fun but exhausting.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  21. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

When it comes to Marvin Gaye songs, I was hoping they'd have gone more along the lines of "Got To Give It Up."

In general, it looks like while I'd like them to do programs to songs like "Son of a Preacher Man," they more enjoy programs set to songs like "That's What Friends Are For."

22. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'd love for someone to do "Heard it through the Grapevine"........now that's Motown :) and a great beat.

23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

The universe needs them to skate to Sigur Ros' "Hoppipolla"

24. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Oh yes! Or some Panda Bear. *dreams*

Did anyone catch the Tracy Wilson interview? I couldn't :(

ETA: Someone else mentioned elsewhere that they thought V-M had reached their peak and could not improve any more. I find this interesting because it is something I read on Twitter a lot as well. Many even question if V-M have changed or improved at all since their senior debut, which I find...puzzling. Being a huge fan of the technical aspects of the sport, I wish we could do an element-by-element comparison between Valse Triste and Funny Face, with gifs and all. I want to do it, but I need help as I am not at all versed in gif-making and all that.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  25. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

watched the interview...

1. when asked about training with d/w after gpf, tessa said there was tension. there is always tension as the season moves on. you can feel it. but she enjoys it. it's motivating. keeps them on their toes. scott said the times you expect him and charlie to be at each other's throats is exactly the time their friendship flourishes

2. when asked what mark they want to leave on the sport, tessa said... to be remembered as great people, not just great skaters. they look forward to their coaches' vision of the next few seasons, though they have some ideas of their own.

3. scott was asked about the gpf again. he said they concentrated too much on marks and placement.

4. when asked about the bubble, it starts when they leave the hotel. they keep it light, but it's a comforting bubble to be in.

26. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

27. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I really love these jewel-toned colours on Tessa. Don't know that I've ever seen her in a teal/aqua blue before. I'd love to see that colour worn in a future program.

28. aka_gerbil

29. elle123

elle123 New Member

30. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Rather than calling it puzzling, I'd call it ridiculous.

Have reached their peak, and can't improve? Why would anyone think so? And "haven't improved since their senior debut" ? Absurd.

Don't let the inevitable nastiness (that the next two years will bring) get to you. ;)