Virtue and Moir out of Finlandia Trophy

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Finnice, Oct 4, 2012.

1. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Indeed.

2. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

:rofl: I work hard, too. But I'm not sure that demands that people respect me by not mentioning it if they find my excuses transparent.

3. mossop

mossop New Member

^^^ Not everyone who works hard gets to the top!:p

4. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I just don't see any "transparent excuses" here. Even a minor injury like this can turn into a serious problem if not healed properly. They simply realize this, and have decided not to risk it in order to be absolutely healthy and in good form for the rest of the season.

A Davis/White uber who also happens to hate Virtue/Moir, aren't you? Otherwise I can't explain this attitude. Why would the top ice dancing team with a perfect work ethic not be ready when lesser teams feel that they are ready? This is an absurd thought.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  5. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

As an elite athlete? PML. :rofl:

6. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I'm curious as to why you would automatically assume their reason to be a "transparent excuse", instead of, for instance, an act of caution (and an understandable one, given their history of injury).

7. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Did I say I found their excuse transparent? I said that, for those who find this excuse transparent, the fact that V&M work hard doesn't demand that they respect V&M by not mentioning it.

Or, more straightforwardly, whether you believe or don't believe V&M's reasons for missing this competition, I do not think it is a respect issue. People pull out of competitions all the time for a variety of reasons including readiness. Injury is often given as a reason even when it is not strictly true. As a result, people are often skeptical. It has nothing to do with how much they do or do not respect V&M. And if V&M were not ready, why would you necessarily assume that it was a work ethic issue? There are plenty of reasons that they might not be feel 100% prepared for this competition that wouldn't have anything to do

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

No one is perfect...

9. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

:lol: les vautours sont sortis

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't see vultures, I see people not taking everything at face value.

11. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Can't help noticing that this questioning of V/M's motives is mostly done by the D/W fans, here and in other threads. I'd say it involves quite a bit of "mauvaise foi".:p

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Translation: Sorry, we can't really be arsed. :D

13. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Oh for feck's sake. I truthfully don't give a shit about either V/M or D/W, ice dance is easily the most boring discipline to me. But this is news so I admit I was curious as to why they withdrew. I obviously have no clue as to whether it's true or not, but just from the phrasing it sounded to me like they just need a bit more time. Doesn't mean they're not hardworking or some such nonsense, just that they want to start with a bang. D/W aren't doing a Senior B and no one's insinuating they're lazy. Skating is often about momentum so starting strong can put you on the right track for the whole season. A lot of polishing can be done in 2 weeks, there's nothing wrong with deciding you need more time.

I knew posting in a V/M thread was a bad idea :rolleyes:

14. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Well, good for them. There is a time to "push through and hope for the best" but they know a lot about that (remember Tessa pulling up in the midst of I forget what competition)....... Way better to keep their eye on the prize.....which is Sochi or at least Worlds.

15. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Posting in a V/M thread and calling them liars was indeed a bad idea :blah:

I wonder if today it is your favorite skater that had to withdraw the last minute citing injury, would you immediately question their truthfulness?

aka_gerbil and (deleted member) like this.
  16. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, I have an ongoing neck strain issues and when it is bad, my balance is thrown off. It is better to get it taken care right away.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Not to mention a loooooooong plane ride.

18. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Thank you for bringing some actual sense back into the thread instead of all the sniping I just had to read through. Good Lord, I thought I'd stumbled into a Mao/Yu-Na thread by mistake.

Any kind of neck injury, regardless of how minor it might sound to those of us who only have the barest of information, is *nothing* to be fool around w/. Better to not have to...

1. Have to take a long plane ride and possibly end up making it worse on the way.

2. Competiting when it's not a good idea and making it worse.

It's early. This isn't Canadians or Worlds. Take the time now to make sure this doesn't turn into something worse and here's to them hopefully being at Skate Canada in a couple of weeks.

After all, I'm looking forward to enjoying a piece of my Birthday Cake while watching them on CTV HD in the next room and have been since I learned the SC dates and realized I wouldn't be going this year. :)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

When you are playing tennis and start having neck strain issues, you call the trainer and he can help you. Momentarily. As you continue to play, the injury gets worse and at the end of the tournament you go home and you can't even move.

Yeah, it IS minor because you can play on, but it can actually get really bad if you risk it. Figure skaters can't ask for the trainer during a performance. On top of that, he must lift his partner and do rotational lifts that often involve her wrapping her leg about his neck, you can even see when his neck takes a hit. So, let's suppose he decides to compete with bad neck. Here comes the Ro lift: she wraps her leg around his neck, but he can't move well, can't get enough balance and it also hurts. Either a) CRACK! Scott unconscious on the ice or b) He drops her and she gets injured too. And it was a minor injury.

I actually think they are playing it down. It must be a bit worse than just a minor strain, he's had back injuries in the past.

20. pani

pani Well-Known Member

WOW :lol:
    OK, i must say. i will be happy if Scott didnt have injury and they will working hard to show there best at SC ;)
    Still wish Scott quikly recover and get well soon :)

Cant remeber such posts when Tobais-Stagnionas withdraw from Nebelhorn in last minute :rofl:

21. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

What is up with some of those negativity? Injuries are injuries. It's like some people are not hesitant to jump in with the "bandwagon."

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think all elite skaters have injuries

23. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Frankly, I glad they pulled out. It shows common sense. Rest is important for a minor injury like that so that it doesn't escalate into something more permanent. I can wait to see their programs......no problem.

24. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Me too - I am happy they pulled out and are resting. Scott may need some therapy etc to get him into peak condition for the rest of the year.

25. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Well nobody cares about Tobias/Stagniunas.

26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Why? I was wonder, why they wasnt at Nebelhorn/
    Now i miss Comes-Bukland at FT.

27. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Because Ice-Dance has a history of dubious withdrawals...Linitchuk used every injury excuse in the book when she felt one of her teams was not ready. Her former students admitted that. It was part of the game.
    I have no clue what's going on with Scott's neck but a Finnish sauna would have helped...just give us the sauna address:lol:

28. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Yes Nathalie skated worlds with a broken nose :p
    Just sayin :scream:

29. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

Yes because it was for World's, i don't think that she would have skated with a broken nose for a senior B event.

30. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Didn't they withdraw from SC last season because he was sick? Bronchitis? But they had three GP events scheduled last season so there was no real consequences to their standing and making the GP final by withdrawing.