Virtue and Moir, número 31: The Best Is Yet To Come

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Not to mention the free legs! Once she's in position, she extends her free leg at the same time he does. It is mind-blowing.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That is really a phenomenal move.

3. Golightly

There is another straight line lift on Stay, they one we just saw, that I love. It doesn't really fit the Seasons, but it is so beautiful I wish they used it in competition. There is also a very impressive RoLi on Stay as well, I can't tell if it is the same in the Seasons, but it has two or three lovely transitions.

4. Happy123

Happy123 New Member

The first RoLi in Seasons had a catchfoot position, so it is a little different. The upside down position in Stay comes from Mahler and the next I don't think they ever used in competition. And yes it would be so cool to see the straight line lift in competition, but I don't think it fits either the SD or the FD.

5. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

What a perfect description.

6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes, they did Stay :hat1: Its was amazing. I think they could use rotational lift from Stay for FD. They are so good in Swan choreo.
    And two more highlights - Patrick exibition, i think it was his best! And group finale!

7. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

No! I missed it. And I posted the link too lol.

8. Golightly

Stay was gorgeous. I LOVED that rotational lift and they looked very comfortable doing it. I also felt it flowed much better now because they have more ice to play with. It is a very beautiful exo, their most emotional perhaps.

9. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I hope someone recorded it. I'll look for a link when I'm really awake. BTW great discussions here. I'm enjoying it very much.

10. pani

pani Well-Known Member

11. Proustable

Proustable New Member

You've got to remember that with level calling, the tiniest detail could be off and it drops it down a level. If the difficult position they go for is a Biellman, and Tessa is a fraction of a second too late bringing the blade to her head - boom, down to level three. One of them grabs the blade a little too late in the twizzle - boom, down to level three. They slip off an edge from outside to inside in a footwork sequence - down to level three. More than any other discipline, the level calling in ice dancing really crucifies mistakes.

12. Subway

Subway New Member

Yes, and actually, even more so because HE, the guy who has just transitioned into a forward edge, has to time the extension of his leg to hers rather than vice versa. It's like pairs timing jumps at the same time, only more difficult. A singles skater has a second or more to play with when they take off - pairs skaters don't, they have to do it now, to synchronize with their partner. Scott has to be ready when her free leg extends forward. He doesn't have that play. This time, as opposed to Finlandia, he simply extended his free leg forward without needing to bring it back again behind him. Considering the stability of the entire move depends upon that forward edge, the security and control he's showing, to be able to time his free leg like that, is spectacular. As always with Virtue Moir, the interdependence takes your breath away. They're oriented in the direction of travel and facing the same direction. There's no counterbalance or angle. If she's not perfect he comes undone. If he's not perfect she comes undone. As that lift is aligned, a balance check is almost impossible (save him putting his free leg behind him) It's her independent control of her body relying on his edge and his edge relying on her control of her body in space. There's no superfluous or redundant security points (redundant as in how a bridge or other structure has redundant support in case of structural failure).

Not to mention the edge she runs out after the set down is huge and gorgeous.

13. Bue

Bue Active Member

This makes me laugh so much. But I admit I had to go back and watch it again as when it happened I wasn't 100% sure if they had bailed or if it was just a really awkward, ugly lift performed well!

Also I LOVE the curve lift. Don't care if it's been done before many times, it fits beautifully and they are executing it well. Everything is just so much more beautiful when they do it :)

14. pani

pani Well-Known Member

15. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

The ex was wonderful....Stay is a lovely program so mature and sensuous.
    Waiting to go home and see all the programs again.
    Tracy, rod black , Buttle at the airport with us.

16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Cool!

17. icefan1005

icefan1005 New Member

We need a new thread!

18. ceg15

ceg15 New Member

Hey guys, I was at skate canada and on the jumbo tron they were showing videos of the skaters called like '1 minute with Tessa virtue and Scott moir.' I have been trying to find it on Skate Canada's YouTube site and they have weaver and poje's up but not Tessa and Scott's... Has anyone else seen it? The interviewer (terra Findlay) asks about the last concert they went to and the music on their iPod...

ALSO, a note on Skate canada... it was truly magical being there for that free dance and I was so teary eyed at the end. I also got them to sign my poster and talked a bit and even though it wasn't my first time meeting them, you realize all over again what truly gracious and appreciative people they are.

I love Tracy's commentary during the FD... it is a masterpiece, no question :)

19. sequins

sequins Active Member

God I love that. Makes me wanna stand up and scream 'DID YOU SEE THAT!?'

20. CatherineC

CatherineC Member