Virtue and Moir, número 31: The Best Is Yet To Come

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Sonata

Sonata Member

Loving the positivity here and very impressed by V/M's fans from around the world who stayed up at all hours to watch them live!

Thread title suggestion: "Seasons of Love". (From Rent :) )

2. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I like both Seasons of Love and Straight From the Heart.

3. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Btw what was the level they got on the spin? Im terrible at reading protocols.

4. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I thought the title with seasons was being saved for later. The one proustable came up with.

5. sequins

sequins Active Member

Nice to see all the positive comments. After Finland it seemed uncertain, I wasn't certain myself but after today I really like it and I know by Sochi I will love it. Tracy said it has Olympics written all over it and she's right. This program gives them an oppourtunity to absolutely create 'a moment', bring people to their feet and bring them to tears. I don't care about the mistakes today, V/M build that's what they do and this program needs that, it's made for that, for that moment and that moment will be Sochi. I can't wait.

6. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Level four.

ETA: My thread suggestion was "Seventeen Seasons to Sochi" to celebrate their seventeen seasons together as partners, but people wanted to wait until closer to the Olympics.

7. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

What at beautiful skate they had! If initially I was slightly disappointed with the FD (I will write about the reasons later), then now I am starting to love it. It really was touching. Although I was so nervous during their skate that I could truly appreciate that only on the second viewing. A pity for the choreographic lift, though. Probably they need to change the lift if they are having problems with it? As for the score, I did hope for more, but overall this is not a bad start. Now it can only get better. I hope that parapluies is wrong about what kind of scores we can expect at TEB .

8. icefan1005

icefan1005 New Member

I think so too. I'm thinking they'll make their final decision after Sochi.

9. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

I missed the FD PBP (thought it was tomorrow) but when I checked the marks and read the feedback here about V&M's performance, it put a smile on my face. Unlike last year, I feel these marks are fair and in line with what they did and we can see how much more they will do. I'm so happy right now and glad we all seem to be in agreement. I think that Tessa and Scott seem to be in a different place this year than last and their experience at Skate Canada this weekend will bolster their confidence in themselves. Can't wait for TEB; they should be magnificent. I'm feeling the way I felt during the last Olympic season. Hopefully that's a good sign.

I'm also thinking that Tessa and Scott won't make any real decision on whether or not to continue until after Sochi. I don't think they will do another four years and it's of course up to them to decide how they feel but if they are up to it, the selfish fan part would love two more years. Without all the crap from the past few seasons of course.

10. martyross

martyross New Member

I'd like to tell about my view on the FD borrowing an idea from pani. Like her, i've always felt i was watching their souls dancing.
    Infact, what I personally adore about the program is its level of abstraction. It is supposed to tell their story, so we expect to see events of their life and work together clearly narrated by their movements. The program does this, but from an interior point of view. It narrates their memories, feelings and emotions related to those events, in a symbolic way. So the program is a meditation on their lives and the protagonists of the program are their souls.
    The 4 different music pieces are brilliantly connected to each other in order to tell the story of these two souls. The pieces take up a particular meaning and expressiveness by being connected into one sequence. As a second element of abstraction, the change of melodies and tempos really gives the idea of the flow of time in which their souls live. just like sensing the flow of time by observing the life of a leaf through the seasons. And this is what captivates me the most.
    Pink Floyd was an other abstract program and that's why it's my fave along with Seasons.
    I'm so looking forward to see it in beautiful Paris. It will be great to see our idols knowing that some of you are there too! I still remember the burst of emotion when I saw their Mahler live.

11. ilovenyc

ilovenyc Member

Just wondering that if they got emotional during SC, then how emotional it will be for them at nationals and olympics.. It´s never easy to end a sport career.

12. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

I agree with all you said, marty.

13. blueglass

blueglass New Member

About the choreographic lift, I think it was Scott who aborted it. I like the two rotational lifts back to back - sort of like a quad at each end of the rink - but with the emotion that Scott was obviously feeling, it probably drained him to the point that he couldn't safely complete it. I think I heard Tracy Wilson call it a masterpiece and said it was quintessential Virtue and Moir.

Could someone explain rockers and choctaws for me?

14. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

15. Happy123

Happy123 New Member

From their FD:

Executed Element
    SlLi4 = straight line lift , Level 4
    CiSt3 = circular step sequence, level 3
    CuLi4 = curve lift, level 4
    Stw4 = sequential twizzles, level 4
    CoSp4 = combination spin, level 4
    RoLi4 = rotational lift, level 4
    RoLi3 = rotational lift, level 3
    DiSt2 = diagonal step sequence, level 2
    ChLi1 = choreographic lift, ALWAYS level 1

16. sequins

sequins Active Member

What a lovely description. Makes me kinda misty eyed.:)

17. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

^^
    Adding to this... I felt like I was watching Nureyev and Fonteyn at the peak of their powers. What a moving, emotional experience (and that was just for me!)

18. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Someone in the FD pbp thread mentioned that cbc had played the FD with commentary from Tessa.... does anyone have that?

19. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

The one from yesterday?

20. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

21. parapluies

Thanks for teaching me how to read protocols!. It honestly concerns me that at this point, Tessa and Scott haven't perfected their lifts. The SS is alright because nobody got a level four on it but Tessa and Scott are supposed to be magnificent at lifts I don't know whats happening. I just hope the judges aren't too harsh on their spin at TEB. Last season the lifts were spetacular. I find it amusing at the judge who gave them 3 GOE for the ChLi Tessa really saved them.

22. Happy123

Happy123 New Member

23. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

That was odd, but the highest and lowest GOEs are thrown out and the rest is averaged and converted with the scale of values to give the final GOE value.

24. Happy123

Happy123 New Member

Well the 2nd rotational lift is new to the judges, so I'm sure they will fix it to a level 4 next time. I hope they don't change the choreo lift though... The moment where Tessa is lifted with her back arched is just so triumphant, and of course the transition into the lunge position is spectacular.

I still feel conflicted about the curve lift. One the one hand, it's been done before, but on the other, I really, really love the way Tessa is set down so gently and smoothly.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  25. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

This is my favorite part of the program!! So perfect! And I really love the curve lift too. Everyone else's lifts have "been done before" so I see no reason they'd change this one. It's amazing.

So excited to finally see a good quality version of "Stay!!!" Hope someone uploads it soon!

26. sequins

sequins Active Member

They were spectacular but don't forget they struggled to perfect them as well and had to change one(?) as well. It'll be ok don't worry;)

27. parapluies

What Concerns me is the second RoLi is basically a variation of their other lifts from Mahler and Scott still has trouble with the lift. It reminds me of the time before the second surgery during IWHYH where Scott was having trouble lifting Tessa. Perhaps reusing lifts is not for them. I too feel conflicted about the curve - maybe they could edit it slightly so that Tessa is facing Scott instead of her head on his shoulder kinda like this http://cs540108.vk.me/c322416/v322416791/2f0d/szCCj84oByU.jpg? Little bit more romantic ;) If that is psychically possible. The last thing we want is Scott rocking on his feet like a ship.

28. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Parapluies, I do not know if you are realizing this, but V-M are already out-GOE-ing Carmen. Just a thought.

Why would they edit a lift that is giving them good levels and GOE? It is one thing that you don't like the curve lift, quite another the results they are getting with it. As for the second RoLi, they can work on this and I am sure we will see a new choreo lift by the TEB. They have space to change it.

ETA: That picture above is mid-lift. a) He hit very lovely edge while lifting her, b) She was up even higher. It's a level 4 lift.

29. Happy123

Happy123 New Member

For the 2nd RoLi, the final pose used to be a transitional move and not part of a rotating lift so I guess it must take some getting used to (it looked like they had a slight pause/ hesitation). The parapluies curve would be pretty cool but I don't think that would be feasible :D

30. Subway

Subway New Member

Golightly, I'm so thrilled by the GOE Virtue and Moir are pulling - well deserved.

The rotational speed Scott got on the first rotational lift almost blurred the damn thing and it got the audience excited. The straight line lift is stunning. Technically, Scott's transition is spectacular, and then there's how Tessa unfolds/opens her body into its deep arch. She takes her hand off Scott's shoulder and with that opens her left arm/shoulder/back/chest until the movement travels through her entire body, her body is extended and she's in position. Just watch that left arm as she lifts her hand from his shoulder and follow - HOW she gets to the arch/final position is a thing of beauty. It's like watching a flower open.

I think Scott's comfortable in the second rotational and so is Tessa, and it's a mileage issue to get it under time. It's not getting stuck and there's no problem they're trying to push past.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013