Virtue and Moir, número 31: The Best Is Yet To Come

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Alrighty, let's carry on!

Bringing this WONDERFUL post by Bournekraatzfan over to this one.

2. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

3. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Thanks, guys, that is wonderful

5. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Thanks golightly, shayii, and ice princess! (I'm always so frustrated that I can't watch the vines on my phone!!)

6. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Not at all ;)
    Me too, I've done for all people with the same problem :) ;)
    Ahah they're a little funny on the plane :D

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Hey guys… I just discovered this youtube channel that’s making edits of most of V&M’s music. They already have the new SD! And many of the very rare pieces like 2011 and 2013 SDs. If you do a google search, it’s easy to find free software that will allow you to download these to your computer as an mp3… I really enjoyed so I wanted to share with you all:

[2005-2006 FD] Adios Nonino

[2006-2007 OD] Tango

[2006-2007 FD] Valse Triste

[2007-2008 OD] Dark Eyes

[2007-2008 FD] The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg

[2009-2010 OD] Farrucas

[2010-2011 SD] Schenkst Du Beim Tango Mir Dein Herz - Nights and Days

[2010-2011 FD] Hip Hip Chin Chin - Temptation - Batucada - Mujer latina

[2011-2012 FD] Funny Face

[2012-2013 SD] And The Waltz Goes On

[2012-2013 FD] Carmen

[2013-2014 FD] Dream a Little Dream of Me - Muskrat Ramble - Cheek to Cheek

All of the links are part of a playlist that includes other ice dancers. If you go to the channel homepage there are also singles & pairs. They have S&S' Pina and some other rare stuff.

8. volunteer

volunteer Member

Just have to say, watched the FD again (and again. . .), it's gorgeous, pure quality skating, no gimmicks. These two have such a freedom of movement and command of the blade and their bodies, really they never hit an ugly position. Their FD is complex, and sublime, I can't wait to see them at their next competition.

9. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

I found another one :) (but its not as great as the previous) http://youtu.be/h7FFfDlJhak love the assisted leap(?) at 0:34

10. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Cherub,
    thanks for those links. I will definitely put on my list to do tomorrow, the downloading of those dances.

11. Lety

Lety Member

Thank you for bringing it here, Cherub!
    I had seen this and also downloaded the audio of it. It's great because every time I'm away from home and miss review T/S's programs but I can't, then I listen the audio ;D

12. rustyskater

rustyskater Active Member

13. Sahararainfall

Sahararainfall Active Member

14. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

15. volunteer

volunteer Member

Cherub and sahara thanks for those links. Interesting comment in one of the post skate interviews, Tessa mentioned that they had to trust the process and "hold back" in early competitions, it not only validates our perception that they build over the season. The concept of peaking at the right time includes skating at sub-maximal potential early on, not because they can't do it, but because they chose not to skate lights out.
    Not sure if I'm making sense here, but what I'm trying to say is that the building process not only involves the evolution of a program over time, but also deliberately not skating to one's fullest ability early on in the season, these are 2 different things. I never thought about the second part of the process.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Guys, what do you think about spin& I love the last position and they look faster, then usually.

17. puglover

puglover Active Member

It is always hard to tell just watching on television but I thought the spin looked faster and very secure. Not sure if it was just from the angle I was looking at it but it looked to me like Scott may have brushed the ice with his free foot when he went into the sit position. I thought they seemed fast throughout the whole program.

18. volunteer

volunteer Member

I like all of the positions in their spin, and yes, they do look faster; I think the entire program appears to be skated with more speed by virtue of the style and flow of the program (vs Carmen,for example - not saying this FD was slow my any means).

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes, for me they look really fast. Sad B-S couldnt compete in Finland. It will be good to compare speed of both teams.

20. Golightly

He did. I noticed it the moment I saw it. I think that is where they dropped the levels. But it looked good speed-wise, I like the final position as well. Sigh, I miss the Carmen spin.

21. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I'm sick of this obsession with speed (not saying with you guys, just generally). V/M have never been a slow team. There is a big difference between being slow because you lack skating skill or power, and dancing slower because that is what is dictated by the music.

First, Carmen was not slow. Second, and perhaps most importantly, Carmen had no superfluous movement. Every stroke was both a way to move across the ice and an interpretation of the music at that very instant. There was no "extra stroking" to build up speed to get into an element, no "empty strokes" to get you out of an element "and back into" the program, and no strokes that get you across the ice fast but have little relation to the music. If people want to see fast skating in between trick elements, there's an entire discipline for that -- it's called pairs.

Sorry, vent over.

22. Golightly

Thank you.

And I think that is true to V-M as a team. They don't do much basic stroking and this is never stressed enough, I wonder why.

Usually, ladies particularly, need extra strokes to compensate and match their partner's speed, in other words, play catch up. You don't ever see Tessa compensate or Scott yank her about to assist her movements? I feel this is never talked about. Ever. And it is something that we must not take for granted, because the norm in ice dance these days is compensation, either by the lady or by the man, assisting his partner in routine movements and sequences because she cannot get in position by herself. The short dance is a clear example of this (because of the pattern, of course). Yet, V-M, being the one exception, are never given credit for this. I don't get it.

23. Zazy

Zazy Member

That's pretty much what ice dance has become, sadly. It gets more pair-like with every season.

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

So true. If you look at their compulsory steps, they have some of the biggest patterns, which equals the best speed and power. There is no better indicator than comparing the segment where everyone does the same steps. The Waltz Goes On was an amazing example of flow, as are this year's programs.

25. volunteer

volunteer Member

I agree with the above comments, I resent the rhetoric that states that "other" teams are "fast-er". The perception of speed via a busy program and choppy skating with extra steps to catch up is only that: a perception. I don't view VM as slower skaters, what they do is appropriately adapt their skating to the music and to the theme. While I don't think the comment about Carmen was directed to me, what I was trying to say is that that program is inherently less flow-y than this year's FD, not that it was inappropriately skated slower.
    Gosh, I wish I had the gift of description and terminology that others in this thread can describe so fluently!

26. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

This. Thats what i want to say too. I saw Carmen twotimes "live" last season and it dint have sch flow like this FD in forst outing.
    Of cause Carmen had very difficult transitions, but how this helped to VM?
    And for now i wish talk only about future- so about new programs :)

28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks! What did they say? Something new?

29. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

I don't know.. I not understand everything.. apparently seems nothing new..

30. Happy123

Happy123 New Member

- RBC event for Sochi
    - they are the veteran athletes
    - Olympics earlier than Worlds, so must peak in Feb
    - Scott says they must stay very organized this year
    - silver last year a bit disappointing but sets them up well for Olympics
    - great to be in London last year
    - healthier now than they were heading into Vancouver
    - can now train 100%
    - on Vancouver: Tessa had lots of doubt/stress, wondered if they could make the next Olys
    - been to Sochi last year, but not going to be the same because of Olys
    - won't be the same, but they have lots of Russian fans
    - knowledgable skating fans in Russia; Russian coaches
    - inspire other people to not just skate but to do other things too, e.g. hit the gym
    - Scott: "we're PUMPED" :)