Virtue and Moir #38: Simply Timeless

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Mar 3, 2014.

1. princeton123

princeton123 Member

I know this is an uber thread, but objectively speaking, I don't think D/W were outshone at all. I think V/M might be more popular with a Russian crowd, but...whatever. The rivalry's over, they're both (probably) retiring, I'm tired of the snarking that goes on in this thread - it gets exhausting.

2. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

If figure skating were a competition decided by the audience, you would be making a point. As it is, who cares who got the better reaction from the audience or Twitter or whatever? That doesn't really say anything about the performances. It's inconsequential.

I too think both teams have always been very gracious on the podium. For show or not, I've never seen reproachable behavior from either on any podium. I do take exception with certain comments made by the Americans about the Russian school of ice dance, but that's as far as it goes. Like I said, I don't know these people and them being nice is irrelevant, it doesn't tell me anything about them as athletes.

3. Golightly

My point exactly.

Also, I am very excited about the new choreographers and I can't wait to learn who they are. I think that's more interesting.

4. princeton123

princeton123 Member

5. Meyers

Meyers New Member

I'd love to see Jeff Buttle choreograph something for them. I'd have pegged him for choreographing singles, but after seeing the last two CSOI's and knowing he's done choreography for some of my favourite group performances, I'd be curious to see what he could do with a couple who can do, pretty much anything.

6. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

7. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Love Buttle's choreography in all categories. If you're curious what his dance choreo might look like, here's the exhibition he choreographed for Paul & Islam his first time working with a dance couple.

He could definitely do something lovely with V/M.

8. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

To explain further, Virtue Moir were trending higher internationally because people thought they were better than D/W enough to win gold. That is just one example. Makes me feel bad for Daivis and White - how everyone is talking they do not deserve gold. It was their moment to shine but their moment was marred. They did not look as happy as Virtue and Moir did in Vancouver.

That said, the amount of fans and support V/M have amassed during the games was unexpecting and I say that because people keep on saying their FD was not audience friendly

And the rivalry was over a long time ago if you undertand what I am saying ;)

Perhaps that exaplains the tepid reaction from the audience.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. Meyers

Meyers New Member

I didn't even realize that was Jeff's! Perhaps that explains why I liked it so much.

10. bonmil

bonmil Member

11. Lety

Lety Member

12. cgirl8

cgirl8 Member

Yes! Could you imagine what Jeff and Tessa could come up with working together.

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

14. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

15. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

It seems as though they're getting more attention for the silvers in 2014 than for their gold in 2010. I like the recognition they're getting for their career. Their appearances at functions like this plus all the magazine covers in terrific for them.

16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Agree :)
    So i think if they are in Toronto, they work with choreograhfers now. In Toronto we have - Davis Wilson, Tracy Wilson, Kurt Brauning. Jeff Buttle, Lorie Nicol, Shae-Lynn Bourne, who else?
    My bigest wish - to see them working with Dean.

17. princeton123

princeton123 Member

Uh, were you living in a cave in 2010..?

I do think they're more well known and respected for having competed these last four years instead of retiring and kind of fading away into the overall glow of Vancouver. They deserve a lot of credit for staying on and their legacy and impact on the sport is so much richer for having done so.

18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I have 1 question, guys. How many years did TS spend in Canton? I think 10. They got silver at there second OG. Why Arctic Edge didnt honored them?

19. Golightly

That's a good question, Pani.

20. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Huh?

Was there some sort of event at Artic Edge?
    What are hinting?

21. pani

pani Well-Known Member

https://www.facebook.com/arcticedge.icearena?fref=ts

22. princeton123

princeton123 Member

Sigh, not everything's a conspiracy.

Meryl and Charlie just won gold, it's their home rink and home town and home state and home country, T/S probably have their own thing going on in Canada, etc...

23. pani

pani Well-Known Member

In 2010, when DW were only second and didnt had any kind of medals from WChs, they were honored with VM. who were OGM and had two medals from WCh.
    Dont know, but i feel like VM were pulled out from this club, like Shpilband was. Any word of exuse, they could at least to say "Good buy, Tessa-SCott. Thank you for all this 10 years you spended with us".

24. princeton123

princeton123 Member

Or maybe they're just enjoying spending time at home in Canada with their loved ones after a very stressful year and can't be bothered making the long trip down to Michigan to celebrate coming in second to their biggest rivals...?

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

of course they should not overshadow DW. But its in DW fans and parents opinions, but not good for club reputation. Or do you think TS didnt have and friends and supportaers in this Club?
    For me its look more, like when VM parents are not involved in TS professional lifes, DW are alwayse there and work with judges, AE owners and direction.

26. princeton123

princeton123 Member

D/W won gold and the reception is in their hometown. I don't think they're in any danger of being overshadowed.

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its in your opinion, but did you really think nobody care about VM in Canton and nobody respect them and nobody know in Canton, what is ice dance about?
    I just think it will be kind to admire what VM did in AE, where they become JWCh gold medalists, OGM, WHc two times gold medalists. I think it will be good for Club. Or did you think they use only DW families money?

28. princeton123

princeton123 Member

I think you're being unnecessarily paranoid and combative. Look, it's obviously not just an Arctic Edge event and more of a community celebration at large (not unlike the one Ilderton held for V/M in 2010) and an opportunity for D/W's hometown to celebrate the first American gold in ice dance. Canton is not V/M's hometown, Michigan is not V/M's home state and the USA is not the country V/M represent - why would they be there?

29. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

Ignore list? So this will mean no more one line nasty insults next to the negative reps? Finally, about time!! :cheer2: :cheer2: Goodbye and good riddance.

Still would love a skit with D/W, Zoueva, and the American judge ala Korean SNL :lol:

30. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

At the Moscow show, didn't V/M give the speech? I don't think D/W was asked to?