Virtue and Moir #38: Simply Timeless

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Mar 3, 2014.

1. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

I don;t understand how anyone can say they look like kids with hoodies even those uneducated news reporters. V/M look like neoclassical sculpture like Canova as people said in the past (or Bernini but Bernini is Baroque).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

3. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

4. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Really? I hope someone brough it and do some scans :D
    I miss them too, for sure in CSOI we'll have more news, photos and video.. like past year ;)

5. kirbs

kirbs New Member

I googled it and the article's here http://www.mondaymag.com/news/255692481.html. Also you can look at the magazine itself here http://www.mondaymag.com/eeditions/?iid=i20140417070424286 but there's nothing new, the photo inside is from the same shoot as the cover photo (the interview was conducted by phone from Japan).

It's a really lovely article!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  6. Lety

Lety Member

This interview made me a bit emotional, I think it's because like you guys, I miss them.
    But I'm looking forward to see new videos and photos from CSOI (hopefully we'll have something on internet) and if someone is going to see it live I wish you have lots of fun! I'm waiting for your impressions! :D

7. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

ITA!! :) :)

That's cool ^_^ http://24.media.tumblr.com/bd834679937b1c45bd83870fde38f075/tumblr_n4aoyxX0xM1s2pnero1_1280.jpg

8. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Part of me missed the V/M and D/W rivalry at Worlds, and it was obvious to see that in the absence of the top 2 teams, none of the other dance teams had quite figured out how to step into the gap yet. (Which is why there was a 3-way tie for gold with 3 teams getting 175). There were a lot of errors in the dance event at Worlds, and it goes to show how clean and consistent V/M and D/W were compared to many of the other teams.

On the other hand, it was also nice to see the dance podium open up. The V/M vs. D/W rivalry has been nice to watch over the past 4 or 5 years, but it has meant that gold and silver were always a lock for them, and only the bronze was open to everyone else. This year we finally got some new medalists on the podium and we saw a lot of movement in the standings.

W/P would probably not have gotten on the podium if V/M skated, and our other Canadian dance teams of G/P and P/I wouldn't have the opportunity to have advanced as far. If V/M were to return next season, the downside would be that W/P would not be able to advance to the top, and either G/P or P/I would be left home at next year's Worlds.

mollymgr and (deleted member) like this.
  9. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

During the past quad, one team was consistent in their ice dancing, another consistent on recycled elements. IF V/M had skated at World's, then they would have earned one of the 3 spots that Canada had available and G/P (I think) would have had to have been the team who stayed home. Their time would have come eventually.

I never tired of watching V/M, mistakes and all. They have brought such a wonderful body of work for us to have watched and appreciated. Tessa & Scott have truly been what ice dancing has supposed to have been. That is, before the rules of how to "check the boxes to get higher levels" were changed to favour gymnastics on speed to detriment of the sport.

10. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

I'm sorry but when I see Golightly's posts I always get the same image in my head of the main character in Breakfast at Tiffany's and cannot stop laughing :rofl:

11. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Yes, if V&M had gone to Worlds, G&P would have stayed home this year since they were 4th at Nationals. But in order for the other Canadian teams to move up, it can't really be done if V&M stay. W&P would probably not have gotten on the podium if V&M were at Worlds, and it will be harder for G&P and P&I to move up the standings next year if V&M come back because one of them would have to stay at home.

One of the realities about the judging system is that they usually only allow one team per country to get on the ice dance podium. As we were saying in another thread recently, it's probably not coincidental that W&P were not 'allowed' to get on the podium until V&M were absent. I think V&M know this and will want to help W&P to succeed them as the #1 Canadian team. It also allows the younger Canadian teams of G&P and P&I to move up the Top 10 again next year.

12. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

^
    This is true, but as a long-time ice dance lover, I'd really like to see the best. I will greatly miss the quality of V/M's technique and skating skills.

There isn't much incentive for teams to develop the subtle qualities of top-level ice dance that are no longer really valued in the judging system. That's why I'd selfishly like V/M to stay, though I imagine they are ready to move on to other challenges in life.

13. puglover

puglover Active Member

Yes, the reality is setting in for me too. It will be interesting to see where ice dance will be at the end of the next 4 year cycle.

14. parapluies

I think it wont be interesting to watch without V&M and all the other Russian teams splitting :(.

15. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Not necessarily. Worlds was interesting in a different way last month. :) It may not have had V&M and D&W, but we got to see some new teams on the podium (W&P and C&L). That probably wouldn't have happened if the top teams had been there. We also got to see our younger Canadian teams of G&P and P&I move up the standings.

I'm sure we'll see some more good Russian dance teams in the years ahead. It looks like the I&K split was for the best if they were having so many problems. So it may turn out better this way.

16. parapluies

True but there was still something missing even if V/M's impact was still there with that team UoC FD inpired by V/M's UoC (and with Kaitlyn's shout outs to Tessa). & I was not specifically talking about I/K but the other Russian teams. I just heard that Ekaterina Ryazanova split with her partner :slinkaway. I/K's split made things interesting but now B/S are going to be the undisputed top team for Russia.

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

18. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes, look like she texting or watch something on her phone. Maybe Joannie and Caro sitting next to her :)

20. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Now that the judges have finally 'allowed' W&P onto the World podium, I think V&M will be happy to let them take over in their place as the new #1 Canadian team. But we'll have to await V&M's official decision over the next month before we know for sure. The new National Team and international assignments will be announced in a few weeks time, so we'll find out then.

21. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

Hey everyone, just a quick note to say that I have a spare ticket for SOI Hamilton on Saturday 3rd May. I had tickets for myself, my brother and his girlfriend and he's split up with her so we've got a spare ticket. It's not on-ice but it's quite a good seat - is there anyone here who'd be interested - I don't expect to get full price for it, but I'd like it to go to a good home (ie a Tessa and Scott fan!) PM me if you're interested!

22. Zazy

Zazy Member

W/P never deserved to be on the podium before this year. I know they have a crowd-pleasing style (especially to North Americans) but you have to look at what's actually happening on the ice. That said, I don't think V/M are coming back next year, or ever. The next Olympic cycle will probably be the weakest ice dance era in ages, sadly.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  23. The Observer

The Observer New Member

It might not have the superstars like V&M and D&W and their close rivalry with each other, but that was kind of a special thing that can't be replicated in each era. I'm still glad to see our other Canadian teams moving up the ranks. V&M have left dance in good hands in Canada - we were able to get all 3 of our teams into the Top 10, and that's a testament to the legacy they have left us. :)

24. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Were any VM performances on the Japanese tv broadcasts?

25. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

We won't really know what this next quad will look like and retrospectively stating it will be lacking is like you have some kind of looking glass and can foretell the future.

The only quad that lacked in my lifetime anyway was 2002-2006. I can honestly say outside of B&K winning their lifetime achievement gold, Navka & Kostomorov were the only team worth noting and that is pretty sad.

I am interested to see how everything unfolds with the pick-a-partner Russian teams.

Love the SOI Japan pics thanks for posting!

26. Bue

Bue New Member

I would be totally, totally OK with this :D

I'm still holding out a sliver of hope that the the door might still be slightly open... maybe a year out and then a return for one season.

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Same with me - the worst quad for me was 2002-2006 exept 2003. And after 1998, after epic competition between KO and GP, ice dance become less exiting and even FP-M won gold at WCh.
    I think in next quad we will see some new names on podium (from juniors) and maybe new teams (Siniticina-Katcalapov and Iliynih-Zhiganshin). I dont think this quad all will be about CL, WP , BS and CB. But will see.

28. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I understand. ;) It makes sense that V&M fans would like to see them back again.

But there is kind of a hierarchy and protocol with regard to rankings in ice dance. And the judges often don't 'allow' the next team in a country to move onto the World podium until the current ones retire. So I think V&M will be reluctant to stand in the way of W&P now that they have moved onto the world podium. The judges might also punish V&M for coming back, and we don't want to see that either.

Some of it will also depend on how Tessa & Scott feel physically, too. Tessa has had injuries to deal with in her feet for several years, and Scott had back and neck pains this past season. So I think they'll decide which type of skating shows or competition life works best for them. :)

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

30. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I don't care about GP or PI. If VM coming back means either GP or PI are bumped off the podium, then so be it. Apologies to them and their fans.