Virtue and Moir #38: Simply Timeless

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Mar 3, 2014.

1. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

Okay I'm answering as a Scot and if you showed a picture of Eve Muirhead to most of my friends I'd seriously doubt they'd know who she is. (I could pick her out because I was Winter Olympics crazy and she has really distinctive blue eyes and a great bitch-face to rival any top level ice dancer). My brother moved to Canada last June and triumphantly told me that nobody he knew talked about ice skating or had heard of Tessa and Scott. We had literally just had the conversation about it over Skype when the next week he reluctantly tweeted me the pic of the big Tessa and Scott banner in the Eaton Centre and then admitted that his girlfriend was forcing him to watch Tessa and Scott at the Olympics. He's now, rather sportingly, being dragged by me and the girlfriend to see CSOI when I'm over in Canada later in the month. He has since reluctantly admitted that Tessa and Scott ARE famous in Canada!

2. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

4. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

The fan that went to the show said he's still deciding whether he likes the Morrison number, but this one with the silk hats was fantastic. I'm wondering if it's this one they put together themselves or Into the Mystic.

5. parapluies

Im Thinking Into the Mystic was just for Japan shows. They said they had a lot of reused choreography... from SD/FD/EX. So like Shine Shine my Star. And right after there was an Encore to AKB48

6. Bue

Bue Active Member

She is a total diva on ice, isn't she? As for the British men, they did better than the ladies and I couldn't pick them out of a lineup!

7. pani

pani Well-Known Member

This coudnt be just for Japan, because like i understand, this song is popular only in Canada ;)

8. parapluies

It is? But its very dated.

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

And who "they said". It was just one poster, who post about show on twitter

10. princeton123

princeton123 Active Member

In the past, they've only had time to choreograph one completely new piece anyway and the other was another version of their SD/FD. So in this case, the Top Hat number is their new piece and Into the Mystic is their SD/FD rehash.

11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

How do you know the Top Hat number is their new piece? I think its SD.

12. princeton123

princeton123 Active Member

I don't know, I'm just kinda guessing. It can't be too similar if they're doing stuff with props. Cheek to Cheek was their SD music but it was also a song Fred sang in the movie as well.

And the person on Twitter sounds like a fan, I think he/she would've recognized the SD.

13. kirbs

kirbs New Member

My first reaction when I heard about the Fred Astaire piece was Funny Face. Obviously it's been a couple years though, so it's totally possible that the choreography is unrelated and that they chose that mix/style because Tessa's into it.

14. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

I know I already posted about my excitement over Into the Mystic... but I'm so excited. Perfect Perfect lyrics for retirement for potential retirement from amateur competition about coming home, not fearing as you move into the unknown, and implying love (rock your gypsy soul) without using the word... Such a good choice!

And when that fog horn blows I will be coming home
    And when the fog horn blows I want to hear it
    I don't have to fear it

And I want to rock your gypsy soul
    Just like way back in the days of old
    And magnificently we will flow into the mystic

15. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I've listened to it about ten times now and I don't hate it anymore. I actually sort of like it now. I also listened to the Joe Crocker version and I thought it was a better version than Morrison's, but I've now changed my mind about that too.

16. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I'm familiar with Van Morrison and am a fan of his music but the beauty of this choice is that he is introduced to a new audience who may not have heard him before. Take a little youtube journey and sample some of his music, there are decades to choose from and somewhere along the way you are sure to find a few tunes you´ll want to add to your playlist.

17. Meyers

Meyers Member

18. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

My favorite Van Morrison song is These are the Days I've had it in my iPod for a few years now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O86HevzXQi4. The initials coincidence is funny. I wonder if they realized that themselves.

19. cgirl8

cgirl8 Member

With Alex Shibutani, Adelina Sotnikova and Denis Ten before the show http://web.stagram.com/p/692390842043029715_51538413

Also didn't they say during one of the interviews after they got back from Sochi that they were working with choreographers on two new show numbers?

20. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

I forgot about that. Scotland is to Great Britain as Quebec is to Canada :D

21. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

They did originally say that and then someone heard in a radio interview that they were doing one number themselves. Maybe the timing/scheduling didn't work out for two choreographers?

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

23. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

24. puglover

puglover Well-Known Member

I have two ice level tickets to CSOI and haven't decided who to bring as my guest - ennie, meanie, mini, mo - I wish it could be one of you who share my love. Last year I took my best friend, not a skating fan but a great pianist and a person who appreciates the finer things. I guess I should cut her some slack as it was Mother's Day but she knew that when she accepted the invitation. She spent a good deal of the time texting her kids/husband, said it was "good" but was most anxious to leave to attend a family gathering. My husband is a semi fan but I know that is only because he sees it as a way to support me so I will be more supportive of his more dangerous, adventurous endeavours.

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Nothing new, just about VM story, how they start skating in 7 and 9 and didnt talk with each other and how Tessa had crush on Scott, but not too long. About friendship and respect to each other. About there way.
    Zoueva talked about how she first time saw them, when they canme to her skating club to view. She said in 2002, but she is wrong, it was in 2004 or 2003. They skated Russian dance, she didnt made choreo, but she liked this dance and she didnt know, what she saw and them, but she remember she noticed Tessa more, she was imprerssed with her more even if Scott more expressive.
    At the end they were asked to say something on Russian.

26. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, pick me, pick me!!!!

Drats, forgot. I'm in a different province. Guess you had better pick someone else. Hubby sounds like a good choice.

27. puglover

puglover Well-Known Member

You'd be my first choice professor deb.

28. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I'm in Toronto, already have tickets so I have no vested interest in this but here's an idea:
    Make this a contest. Ask interested parties what kind of a seatmate they'd be and crown the winner.

29. parapluies

News on Twitter that Scott possibly got injured or fell sick during the show because he left one of the group numbers and Tessa skated alone :( I hope he is okay

30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

:( Did he skate his solo number with Tessa?
    And where did you find this news?
    Get well soon, Scott!