Virtue and Moir #38: Simply Timeless

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Carry on everyone. :)

Interesting. http://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/the-next-step-for-canadian-skating-stars/

Tessa on that press conference in Sochi:

“I think some of the things we were honest about at that press conference would come as no surprise to Marina. She was very aware of the situation. Any awkwardness that we feel now, we’ve been feeling for a little while anyway.”

I like this frank Tessa.

Also like that the two teams had a chance to talk. Very positive.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

i wish it were v/m that would participate in shows like DWTS (if they have something similar in canada) just to witness their gifts on the dancefloor, but it would be interesting how d/w will fare in that show--like how DANCEY they can get on the dancefloor without the benefit of all the on-ice smoke and mirrors they've been flouting as ice-dancing

3. Golightly

If they're doing that, they won't be partners. Doesn't one get a star or something? I hate that show, I find it ridiculous. I prefer the one with real dancing, So You Think You Can Dance.

4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Where are those quotes from Tessa on Smith's blog coming from? An interview?

ETA: Just read the previous thread... press conference.

5. princeton123

princeton123 New Member

DWTS is not a good show and it's kind of a weird, head-scratchy choice for me personally, but hey, figure skaters and their reality shows...

Tessa would clean. it. up. on a show like DWTS - she is such a phenomenally talented dancer. Seeing her do things like the samba FD and group choreography where everybody else looks awkward and unsure really proves that.

6. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Cherub. It seems Skate Canada had some sort of press conference today. I don't see anything on their website or twitter but I've seen various tweets with quotes from them. Must have been a notice sent out to press.

7. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

yes, they won't be partners in a show similar to dwts. it's dance-lite. SYTYCD might be a little too tasking on v/m who has had a history of injuries. even though tessa has had ballet background, she has not been doing it mainly and on the floor as the other participants on that show would have been.

8. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Cannot wait to see V/M work with some new people.

I sense things must be tense between them and Marina. I get the feeling that Tessa especially is not happy with her (I got that sense from the reality show). Definitely seems like IF they were to continue on that they would not be coached by her.

It's too bad that V/M didn't see the Marina problem before it was too late.

9. Golightly

Yeah, it's too bad. But I'm glad they're at least speaking out. Other teams that were dumped by her stayed quiet.

10. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

It's a shame the last two years went the way they did. I think by the time they realized Marina wasn't interested in helping them repeat it was too late. This was my biggest worry for them, that they would realize the truth too late and have a nagging wonder of what could have been.

But at least whatever they do going forward they will finally experiment free of Marina.

11. princeton123

princeton123 New Member

Marina's choreography is getting seriously stale and recycled anyway, you can seriously pick out all the Canton programs each year from a lineup. The best choreography she ever did was Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Mahler, IMO. I doubt she had much of a hand in Carmen.

12. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

:cheer: Golightly :cheer: finally last names on the thread. I was afraid someone else would make and leave them out as usual :rofl:

I like this frank Tessa too. She hit Zoueva right on the head with this one. All of what we have been talking about these last 2 seasons about Zoueva has been correct all along. And people have been called delusional or crazy by a certain someone. I guess that makes us all collective shitheads :rofl:

I do worry, though, that if D/W are retiring, and the chance that V/M continue that V/M will go back to Zoueva. I would rather them retire in that case.

13. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

i'd hate for v/m to be put on as winning just because d/w arent there. we all know that shouldn't have been the case if v/m's programs had been scored fairly, but if v/m do decide to continue and win, to casual fans, any subsequent win will ring hollow just because their rivals/competitors arent around to give them a valid challenge. so i'd rather that v/m retire.

14. Golightly

I think if you think Virtue and Moir are the superior team, which they are, then the rest of your statement is vast contradiction. I don't care if DW retire or not, that won't define Virtue and Moir's accomplishments in any way should they decide to continue.

15. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

This! I will settle for anything they care to give us. They know in their hearts (as do we) that they won the gold. Carol, Kurt already admitted this, although indirectly. I feel most sad for D/W because they must know it was going to be given to them regardless of their skate (IMHO)

16. sequins

sequins New Member

Exactly. They can not decide their lives/career based on what someone else does or doesn't do. That's not what V/M have ever been about. They've never taken the easy way out and they've always done things on their terms. It's part of the reason why we love them so much, why they're admired and respect by coaches, fans and their fellow skater. I don't want them to change that about themselves regardless of who does or doesn't retire and regardless of what a judge chooses to do to them.

17. forthewin

forthewin Member

Exactly! The decision of not going to the world's says it all. They will do things on their own terms, and I for one support them no matter what.

18. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  19. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

20. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Giving back...............I love it, and both Patrick and Tessa and Scott look like they're having a blast. I also noticed Brad Jacobs in the 1st pic. (Gold in curling) and I am just as big a fan of him and his team as of Patrick et al :)

21. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Thanks for the pics and video guys! Well, it's official, Meryl and Charlie are both on DWTS (which I personally love unlike some here!). Though I'd much rather see Tessa and Scott dancing, I'm excited to watch. Is there a Canadian version?

22. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

if there is, I hope they don't go anywhere near it.

23. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

Who cares? you can post your congrats in their thread ;)

24. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

Carmen was the best program they did this quad and Zoueva didn't have a hand with it. Until it was later in the season to alter the last step sequence and dance spin which didn't even impact the results. I don't think anyone will go to her any time soon because her reputation was built thru Igor. I think we will soon witness the fall of Zoueva.

25. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I wouldn't be surprised if Marina ends up with a Russian team. She needs an established team to take over to continue any success. Wonder if B&S will stay with Zhulin? Or I&K with Morozov? I see a Russian team as her best chance to get on that podium again. She can drag another American team onto the podium with them.

26. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Her reputation is as bad in Russia (and that dates back to mid eighties) as in the USA now. I doubt anyone will go to her anytime soon from russia.
    But I wouldn't be surprised if people GO to Igor instead. Just my opinion of course.

27. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

Bingo. I think if B/S make a change, it would be to Igor first. Everyone knows Zoueva is not a technician. I can see Zoueva taking a lot of American teams.

28. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I don't know why her reputation is bad in the US? She got them the gold and seems to work closely with USFS.

29. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Yup I agree.
    She will get some teams from the USA. I think Canadian teams will avoid her due to her partisan treatment of VM.

The strange thing is all of their situation was suspected and almost foretold on this board. Gives me goosebumps in a bad way.
    As Scott said they found their situation reversed 2010 vs 2014.

30. princeton123

princeton123 New Member

Uhh, I doubt it...

I do think her 'golden era' of coaching is over, however. V/M and D/W retiring doesn't leave her much to work with. She doesn't have a lot of depth in her teams.