Virtue and Moir #30 - Labour of Love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by MissJD, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Oh I see. Thanks Pani. If the SD is Friday they might be at practice on Thursday.

2. volunteer

volunteer Member

Keep an eye out for teams coached by Dubreuil and Lauzon, they had several teams at the Quebec summer games, they all had very interesting choreography. Interesting to see this team - especially noted how the twizzles fit the character of the music.

3. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Did you get to see Tessa & Scott's FD??? What's it like?

4. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Tess and Scott haven't debuted their FD yet. I think missjd was referring to their SD or another team.

5. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Sorry bbkenn, I haven't seen it! I was saying that v/m's SD was the only one I've enjoyed so far this season. And the others listed were the FDs I've liked! :) Not much longer to wait though, V/M are debuting their FD weekend!!

ETA: Thank you Cherub721 for the link! :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  6. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Agreed. Here's one I loved: Laurence Fournier-Beaudry and Niolaj Sorenson. They skate for Denmark (she's Canadian), and they probably are already the best ice dance team Denmark has ever had.

(And yes, I know this is off-topic,but we'll be back on topic very soon with Finlandia happening this week).

7. sternfunken

sternfunken Member

I can give only a short answer, because the "Ice-Rink-illness" hit me (no surprise after beeing almost 13 hours every day at the rink without fresh air ;-))
    After watching the Free Dance Practice of the last group I prefered Paul/Islam, but during the Competition they weren't THAT good. They both are very gracile and they showed nice lifts, but Hubbel/Donohue were more present on the Ice (we called her "Mama Madison" because she was always near the boards cheering when a team member was on the Ice - all three days!).
    Monko/Khaliavin are not my cup of tea (although I loved what they said about Tessa and Scott). For me their movements are way too hectic but I like their speed.

8. pani

pani Well-Known Member

This is interesting, but I liked this FD after I saw it in summer. Hope to see them at ECh in FD.
    I also like one junior team,.who skated I think on Beatles medley and I think it was Syr, but I can't.remember second patner name. They were coaches by Shawn Winters.

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you for review! Get well soon!

10. icefan1005

icefan1005 New Member

Can't wait to see their costumes! Here's an old pic of V/M on a Finlandia poster. pic

11. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Does anyone know if Finlandia will be streamed live anywhere? I NEED to see it live!! :D

12. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I am so excited! I've missed them; can't wait to see the FD, changes they've made to the SD, their costumes, their beautiful faces, etc., etc..

From what I've seen looks like only the Saturday and Sunday events are being streamed.

13. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

That's a great picture. I really loved Carmen. :)

14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I had a lovely retrospective of Carmen today.....watching their various performances. I always thought i enjoyed skate canada the most but now i really dontknow which is my fave.

15. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

I'm torn between Skate Canada and Worlds. But I think I will go with Skate Canada. Seeing that program for the first time was like nothing I've ever experienced as a figure skating fan. I remember, even today, my reaction at the stop to exit the twizzles. I was so (and remain so) in awe of that program. I hope that someday people will look back and single it out as one of the greats.

16. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

You know when i analyze things Skate Canada was all about MY reaction to them. The worlds though to me was almost a triumph without the gold. The Roar....rrrrrr as it reverberated through the rink set such a tone for the rest of it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

During Nebelhorn translation on Eurosport they showed best 3 at WCh. And when they show Carmen commentator o British Eurosport said - they was dissapointed considerng,how they skated this FD ;)
    Russian commentators discussed, how Carmen was interesting, how such different programs was made by the same coach - Zoueva And one of them said - VM show more deeper emotions.
    But this was last season, will see what they will show in this season. :)

18. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Nothing new. He think PB have very good skatin skills, wich is compare to top teams. About how he worked with IK and RT That VMand DW have not only advantages, but also disadvantages? like all others.
    He won a lawsuit against Canton ice rink nd against Marina Zoueva.

20. parapluies

Oh! I didn't know there was a lawsuit or I completely forgot.

21. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I guess my favorite is from the Canadian nationals - they had great expression there just like at Skate Canada, but technically it was already much better skated.

Also, speaking of 'Carmen' - when in the recent meeting with fans Stephane Lambiel was asked why is 'Carmen' (more precisely, the aria of toreador - 'Votre toast') different for him than 'Ave Maria' of which he said that he himself would never choose to skate to it because so many skaters have already done it (he skated to both in 'Opera on Ice' - to 'Ave Maria' because he was asked to, to 'Votre toast' by his own choice), he responded that it's because the only 'Carmen' programs that he likes are by Katarina Witt and Tessa/Scott :). A small thing, but still pleasant.

22. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

23. parapluies

Opps sorry! I didn't see that it was posted already!

Thats very nice of Stéphane to say do you have the source of thisÉ

24. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

No, unfortunately not yet. It's not a written interview. There is an audio of the fan meeting (as it's mainly questions by fans and Stephane's answers), but it was not shared publicly, so I am not sure if I can share it here. Someone took videos too, but they are not uploaded anywhere yet. In any case, Stephane didn't say anything more than what I wrote.

25. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

Me too!!! Will be stream somwhere???? :D WANT to see them live!! *-*

Yes, Stéph didn't say more... just that his favourite Carmen are by Katarina Witt and Tessa and Scott ;)
    Big Stéph! :D :D

26. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

If anyone here (lurkers, posters, haters, ANYONE!) is going to Finlandia, would you pleeease video the practices?! I would love you forever! I love watching v/m interact in practices! :)

27. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Seconded!

28. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

The Stephane Lambiel fan meeting:
    http://www.mediafire.com/listen/9n1d1as9e7t3rtx/veronameeting2013.mp3

It's hard to hear all parts of interview because of music in background (or foreground ;) ) but he seems to be saying he was resistant to skating to Ave Maria because so many skaters have skated to it. When asked why he chose Carmen because it's also overused he said (at 5:17):

Interesting note (to me anyway) Carmen was the first opera Stephane went to. His coach, Peter Grutter, took him to see it when he was 12. (he talks about this just before the bit above).

29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

30. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.