Virtue and Moir #30 - Labour of Love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by MissJD, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I know they'll be great. The nerves I have are due to something else. Is there a schedule out for Finlandia?
  2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

3. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thanks. I wouldn't get to see the SD until Saturday morning probably.
  4. volunteer

volunteer Member

I'm so reassured by their August performance of their SD, so not nervous at all, just very excited with anticipation to seeing their FD.
  5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

You are right, maybe i need just wait and enjoy there first cometition of the last season.
  6. volunteer

volunteer Member

I know, so sad, isn't it? But you're right, whatever happens this season, we need to just need to take a deep breath and enjoy.
  7. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

This is what i feel too.

I intend wearing my yellow shirt for skate canada
  8. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

9. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Thanks for this!

Relevant section (emphasis added)
    "EV: Who out of the current competitors in ice dance stands out?
    KM: I like Tessa and Scott the most. They have some kind of connection that exists all the time. You look at one of them and understand you can't imagine them without the other. I like the way they glide, how one element comes out from the previous. Even Maril and Charlie dont't have that., even though both pairs have been skating together for a very long time."

THIS!!! Exactly. Also, I'm not surprised that she loves them... Zhulin is her coach, haha. I'd be willing to bet he has his teams watch v/m vids as lessons...
  10. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

What you have bolded is one of the KEY things that make Tessa & Scott unique. Yes, there are many couples in dance and in pairs who have a connection but never do I get that same kind of feeling that someone is missing when I see only one of them. I am almost envious of the kind of relationship these two have both on and off the ice -- we should all be so lucky to have as good a friend in our lives as these two are for each other.

I plan to enjoy their skating this season without getting too wrapped up in their placements and/or scores -- well that's my plan, let's see how well I can stick to it :D I love what I have seen of their SD in it's early stages and am looking forward to seeing it's progression. As for the FD -- I fully expect it to knock my socks off, especially as we get closer to Sochi. In my mind, they are still the couple to beat.
  11. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

12. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

13. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Their comments on V&M are very similar to my thoughts and why I think they are without question the best ice dance team of this quad (and a few others). I take their comment to be in line with my thoughts that these two are in physical harmony with each other while they are skating. As they poinedt out many teams have skated many years together but these two have taken that familiarity to another level. Whenever they separate or break dance hold throughout their choreography they are always within reach of each other to reconnect. One or the other simply places their hand into the others to get back in hold, there is no tugging or running to reconnect. They know where the other should be and the other is there, that requires a lot of skill and harmony and as fellow competitors they recognize that. I think the connection discussion around Tessa and Scott too often moves into chemistry or "look how pretty they are, I wish they were a couple" when, imo, the connection is that they skate as one, they always know where the other is on the ice, are always in reach of each other that enables them to transition smoothly throughout their choreography and elements. It all weaves together beautifully and each move makes sense and is integral to the theme they are skating. Far too often, imo, they do it so well that they make what they do look too easy and others fail to recognize what they are watching. It´s nice, for me, to read this young team gets it. Things may not always go the way they wish regarding results but I hope it's a comfort to them to see that fellow skaters get it even if the judges don't always.
  14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

ITA with bmcg. In some ways I think the "connection" thing has hurt them because as you said, people think it's about chemistry and gazing into each other's eyes, and then if people don't have that subjective feeling of "chemistry" watching a program or find the program lewd or unromantic (Carmen), it's derided as a failure.

When I think of their connection I think of how they got on their knees and grabbed hands after the twizzles in Mahler... because you have to be in perfect sync and not drift away from each during the set to do that. Or all of the lifts that require Tessa to lift herself as Scott is lifting her, as opposed to the men who yank the women into the lifts. Or how they float during a closed hold footwork sequence, while others jostle for position and struggle to keep their posture.
  15. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Did anyone else watch the dancing at Nebelhorn? I did (my youtube sd list has been updated!), and I just wanted to stop by and whine about how much I hate the SDs (mostly the music - if I never hear Big Bad Voodoo Daddy again it'll be too soon). I struggled just to get through them! V/M's is literally the only one I've enjoyed sitting through so far... Am I alone?!?! I will say that I've been enjoying the FD's! I loved V/M, H/D, P/I, and the glimpses of I/K... Maybe I'll spend all season skipping the SDs haha.

ETA: FD playlist now updated from Nebelhorn (top 3 + reeds)
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I only watched the top 3 SDs... P&I's was ok, but they struggled through a lot of it. I like that they have a simple, elegant lift, and since it was still level 4, I wish others would go in this direction as the more acrobatic lifts don't go with these rhythms. I thought M&K's was just terrible and I didn't understand H&D at all. I think it's going to be a loooong season watching these SDs, but not as bad as the Latin season... :scream:
  17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I am under impression from Sara HURTADO / Adria DIAZ FD! The only FD i love. It look so different from al others at this competition.
    HD skated Crone-Porie 2010 FD. When i watched it i miss Vanessa so much.
  18. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

V/M certainly have a bond and relationship unlike any of the other top dance teams, but I agree with the chemistry vs. connection analysis. Connection in partnered dancing is literally a physical connection. It's the utilization of the dance frame to communicate movement between the lead and the follow. It's a language rooted in movement. Proper movement patterns for each dance are important for excellent performance of each dance. If one person isn't moving properly, it increases the odds of there being an error. Cherub's examples are all perfect ones for how V/M's connection in practice on the ice. V/M's connection comes down to their movements individually and together as dancers. Connection in partnered dance has nothing to do with bond, staring into each other's eyes, finishing each other's sentences, etc.
  19. sternfunken

sternfunken Member

I am in Oberstdorf watching the whole competition and I really fell in love with the FD of Sara and Adrian! I love that couple since I saw them the first time in Bern 2011, but today they totally blew me away! They were miles away of the others today with their idea, all the little details and the whole package. "Picasso" is a little masterpiece!
  20. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I´m with both of you. I really love what they tried to create and appreciate the work that went into their choreography and lifts to create something interesting. So happy to see them qualify for the Olympics as this program should build throughout the season. I like what Dubreuil and Lauzon are building and in particular their work with the Spanish team. I´m excited to see how they all develop over the next few years (knock on wood).
  21. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Now you guys have got me interested in seeing this program! I didn't see theirs, and when I tried to watch on YouTube it said it was blocked because of copyright. :( Anyone have a link?
  22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks for.review. What do you think about top 3 teams a this event?

And sorry, but I didn't find new link to the HD FD. You could watch them on ISU YouTube channel in all FD translation.
  23. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I too loved Hurtado/Diaz. Their FD was my favorite of the night. It's packed with interesting transitions and it flows beautifully from the first move to the last. Kudos to Dubreuil/Lauzon.
  24. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

That was my exact reaction too. It's a good program, but watching it is bittersweet for me, since it brings back memories of Crone/Poirier and what could have been.
  25. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xbFy7F642o

I really did love these two.
  26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

27. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I know. Of course I can't know the reasons for the split but when you see what those two were capable of in 2009/10 it really is a shame they didn't weather whatever storm broke them apart. They were such good skaters, their abilities beautifully matched and, imo, always had interesting programs.
  28. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UFo9hbzXvI
  29. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I've never seem that before. So beautiful! And like the rest of you I loved Hurtado/Diaz's FD. It was so interesting and unique, kept my attention till the very end (loved the ending by the way).

When are practices supposed to start for Finlandia Trophy? We haven't heard anything from camp V/M since HPC, I know they've been working hard. I'm like one big ball of excitement, anxiousness, and nerves.
  30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Shayii, you could download practice schedule in PDF format
    http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/schedule/
    Ptactice will start October 3. But i am not sure someone will be there on Oct 3, but a lot off Russians will go on Friday Oct 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.