Virtue and Moir #30 - Labour of Love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by MissJD, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing it either I think it looks more like DF - even the opening positions are very similar.

:rofl::respec:

2. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

You should never rely on wikipedia, or at least never admit to your teacher you used that as one of your sources ;)

3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I know this, i am working in Academy :D

4. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Welcome *Ice Princess* and all the other new members! I hope you enjoy the discussions!

Exactly, frisette70. The criticism about V&M using a waltz last season made no sense to me as the waltz was one of the specific rhythms called for by the rules for the SD last year. I agree that the foxtrot isn't yet coming through in D&W's SD and that it does take more of the form of a waltz which, as you mentioned, is not included in the prescribed rhythms this year. D&W traditionally struggle with conveying rhythm, so I am not surprised to see this at this point in the season, but I hope to see them find a groove as the season goes on (and I have hope, as it took them until WTT to get the mood changes and lilt for Die Fledermaus, but it sure was worth the wait:)). I really like their step sequence, especially the opening with the swinging legs before the double twizzle, but I hope they rework the choreography for the rest of the SD and add some special touches and a lot more character. Their strength lies in the elements, so I anticipate this being a bit of a struggle for them but it will be a good challenge. The costumes look great on them!

As Cherub said, we have yet to see the top European teams and I have high hopes for P&B and C&L, who are fabulous dancers. In fact, I think this Finnstep will really allow the better dancers to shine.

I also agree that V&M nailed this one. You can clearly see the foxtrot and quickstep rhythms, complete with those extra little touches that bring the music to life. They manage to convey the interplay between Louis and Ella through their movements, the way they play off each other. Jean-Marc put together a little gem and I cannot wait to see it develop over the course of the season.

For those who are not familiar with the origins of the Finnstep, I thought I'd post the OD from which it is derived, from the wonderful Rahkamo&Kokko (okay, this is also an opportunity to share one of my favourite dances from one of my all-time favourite teams;)). Just look at how they turn the ice into the ballroom. Pure dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ieH0uk-cks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  5. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thanks Mel. It's refreshing to read your post.

6. AsianFSFan

AsianFSFan New Member

Dd
    Good points you touched on. Agreed. :) YouTube piece made by silveredge27 of their (D/W) dance is close to what my reaction on viewing it that first time. No mention of the twizzles, of course, that I commented earlier in this thread. I was just hoping for a different one for them to try this season. ;) Anyhow, that's minor. I thought also it a better feel if M's dress was closer in time period with C's since I am relating it to MFL. Kind of like the one scene Audrey H wore dancing with Prince at the Ball. Don't get me wrong...I like the costume now...just felt a bit of disparity between the two because of it. Again, minor details...

Btw, I am equally critical of my favorites as well...so don't blast me if I ever do comment on something ;)

Lovely! Thanks for sharing this :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  7. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

BKFan,
    thanks for sharing that link to Rahkamo&Kokko. Watching it just reinforces in my mind that Tessa & Scott have got the right music picked with the correct tempo as well as the flavour of both dances they are performing. Looking forward to seeing how smooth this becomes and how many other nuances they might add to their SD.

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

9. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Active Member

Thank you!! Wow! They really seems in a ballroom and not on the ice!! Just great!! It's the same thing that I feel when I watch V&M'SD... They imperson perfectly the character of the music... You can really see them dancing on forxtrot-finnstep rithyms... ;)

I can't wait to see this SD with 1 month of changes :D

10. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

i've been working on a series for the new music selection and it's done.

the soundtrack for the olympic season: my introduction
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/2013/09/the-soundtrack-for-olympic-season.html

for this introduction, i wanted to try to understand the importance of the free dance music to russian history and nationalism, and give a little insight on romanticism by talking about the romantic poets. romanticism is an overarching concept that shaped music, art, thought and literature. i thought that reading about romanticism in poetry would be helpful as you try to listen to it in music

stars shining bright in the short dance (lori's contribution)
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/2013/09/stars-shining-bright-in-short-dance.html

lori writes about her love of ella and what it was like to see ella perform in person at one of her last concerts. she also does a wonderful job of explaining the power of ella and louis as a duo, and shows the amazing connections and parallels to tessa and scott's own partnership.

introduction to lety's series: the romantic period in classical music
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/2013/08/explaining-romantic-music.html

catherinec's commentary on the free dance music as a musician and music student.
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/2013/08/commentary-on-seasons-and-concerto.html

catherinec's run-through of the "concerto"
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/2013/08/run-through-of-scriabins-piano-concerto.html

thanks to everyone who participated. it was a pleasure working with you and sharing your ideas on the blog.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  11. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  12. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

13. *Ice Princess*

Thank you iggie!! Your blog is really interesting! ;)
    Also thank you Shayii for Carmen's pic... love it... love Carmen ever more!!

Yes, me too, Shayii ;) Stèphan is Stèphane: an ARTIST recognize other ARTISTS ;)

14. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

thank you shayii, missJD and ice princess.

shayii -- seeing that picture makes me excited about the iconic photos that will be shot for the new free dance!

15. *Ice Princess*

Don't let me think about it!!! *-* *-* Me too!!!!

Well, changing speech.... nothing news about Tessa and Scott? New photo, new article, new interview?? *rolleyes* :D

16. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Me too Misha! I really can't wait till Finlandia. It's gonna be a long three weeks (or two)?

17. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

there are new posters in this thread, so i'll introduce my blog for you.

first, i'm misha (iggie). i started the blog about two years ago and i use it to keep track of all the information we find about tessa and scott -- on fan communities around the web. you'll notice that, even with this thread, we find so much content and the thread just flies by. during the olympic season, we'll speed through these threads. before you know it, you can't remember where you heard of this article or saw that picture. the blog is a way for me to collect the info we find and put it in a stable place. the website is beautiful to look at, easy to read and simple to navigate. i always want to keep it organized and useful, but i also design it to be elegant. i've maintained the blog for two seasons now and i'm getting ready for the upcoming season.

if you want to contact me about the blog, just send me a pm, leave a comment on the blog or send me an email. there's a contact me section on the site itself. i'll see it and respond as soon as i can.

18. *Ice Princess*

Yes, two weeks and one day :D Definilly 15 looooooooong days :D :D :D

19. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

i think the problem i see with d/w's SD is that even if the rhythm of the music is foxtrot, their expression/execution of the rhythm more closely resembles a waltz than a foxtrot. with v/m's SD, you can actually see the execution/expression of the foxtrot rhythm.

20. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I think you're dead on right. When I watched D/W's SD, I felt like I was seeing a waltz, such was their expression of the dance. I had to remind myself that waltz wasn't one of the choices for the SD this season. When I watched V/M in their SD, I got a totally different feel watching them execute the rhythm of the foxtrot. It felt more like what I have been accustomed to seeing performed as foxtrot.

21. munow

munow New Member

We should stop talking about a boring lesser team

22. iNap

iNap Active Member

It must not be so boring and less if they wish to talk about this team all the time ;)

23. Sahararainfall

Sahararainfall Active Member

Well, if you have a tumblr account you might have come across my favorite Carmen pics here, at least the face/half-body focused photos. Not included are the whole body/in action pics. I just have way too many favorite photos. :D And here is a Mahler photoset for people like me who loved the contrast VM have shown in these two programs.

Might as well share these two other photo sets for people who don't do tumblr.

Step sequence and pattern dance set 1

Step sequence and pattern dance set 2 (I have enough pics fitting this particular theme to make three sets but that was just too many so I just settled for the ones I like best.)

Most pics are relatively high-res so it might take a while to load for some.

Me too iggie. Me too.:D And thanks for that great blog entry regarding Tess and Scott's Olympic sound track and to all the contributing writers Lori, Leticia and Catherine. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences. Fans like you all make my VM fandom experience all the more richer. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Those pictures remind me that we still have yet to see the CSOI version of Carmen... when is it being aired? We'll be on to the new FD by then!

BTW, I'd been meaning to ask, does Finlandia Trophy usually have a gala exhibition?

25. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

:lol::respec:

In November I think. We have a long way to go!:( Also I don't think Finlandia has an exhibition.

I was looking back on Catherine's post on the blog and It made me realize that a majority of Glazunov's waltz are pretty unconventional (except for spring and the cornflowers one - those are the obvious ones). If it weren't for someone who has a musically trained ear like CatherineC telling us which waltz is which it would be hard trying to identify the waltz (sometimes I have to go back and check the post because I forget). Because of this I have a feeling their FD is going to be similar to valse triste because valse triste to me, is pretty unconventional. Some of you may disagree but I find some of Glazunov's waltz's very subtle especially the winter waltz at the begining that has a different tempo.

26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

No, Finlandia Trophy havnt exibitions usually.

Thanks! Its intense :D How emotional this FD was. Amazing.
    I hope they will show something such emotional in new FD too.

27. Noey

Noey New Member

Hi guys!

CSOI on cbc air around mid-December and Radio Canada version(full) is around Christmas time..

28. volunteer

volunteer Member

Iggie, thank you so, so much for your blog, and the same to all the wonderful contributors. It's such a pleasure to read such a thoughtful and complete compilation of VM's past, present, and future programs. Such a special touch to include personal anecdotes from yourself and your contributors, I really don't think there is a skating blog out there that can compete with yours. It's only fitting that your blog's style represents such a classy and talented team!

29. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thanks Sahara. I don't have tumblr because it confuses the hell out of me, but the first link to the Carmen collage is absolutely stunning. I still get depressed when I think about how under appreciated it was (actually I don't think it was appreciated at all). And Marina said that those stupid judges were the ones that requested they do a program like that.

Hi noey. Nice to see you here.

30. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think the Judges sometimes want to play good and wanted to stop the direction in which VM were skating. Or maybe they belonged to the small minded group of shallow watchers.

I think i was most moved by their performance at Skate Canada because it was so stunning and intense. It went after passion in favour of elegance. In future performances they toned down the passion and heightened the elegance. While I loved seeing them at worlds and Scotts roar was a thing of beauty it just smacked me in the face first time I saw it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.