Virtue and Moir #30 - Labour of Love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by MissJD, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Yup Cherub721 that's exactly it :D

Tango and Latin has already been done this quadrennial so I guess the ISU wouldn't go back to it before Sochi. I was really hoping for a Blues SD though...

2. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Member

ITA. They are so smooth and in this new SD they are flirtatious & ooze character and chemistry. Love the music too - great choice. I can't wait to see how the program evolves AND to see their FD.

3. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

I hope Tessa wears a headband or a tiara as well for their FD! Something like this maybe http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AifCdIXvL...0/bentley_skinner_br_18sep12_pr_b_320x480.jpg. I have a feeling she is going to go for a Grecian or Roman look - something that is reminiscent of Anna Pavlova http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/Pavlova_Anna_as_a_bacchante_in_The_Seasons.jpg She wore a lot of gret headpieces for her photoshoot in today's bride I hope she was inspired to incorperate some on ice.

4. Skating678

Skating678 New Member

V/M's 2009/2010 OD didn't really come together until Nationals. There were a lot of people who were very critical of it during the 2009 GP circuit especially in comparison to D/W's Bollywood program that everyone seemed to love so much. Already I think V/M's SD this year looks great to start, and and even just seeing it with the proper costume, better quality video, etc. will probably make a difference at their next event.

5. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

Please, no headbands or tiaras of any type, at all. :p

6. parapluies

Well she is a queen and a queen needs a crown :D I was wondering if anyone going to Sochi knows if its possible to give Tessa a flower crown - like fans gave Johnny Weir a flower crown at Vancouver :D

7. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Some lovely YouTube user made a side-by-side comparison of V/M and D/W's short dance, broken down into sections. I thought some of you may be interested in watching it. Even if you aren't interested in seeing D/W's dance, the breakdown is nice. Watching the sections of V/M's dance independently from the others was helpful. I think the first section is gold. I hope they didn't change a thing about it. The middle part could be better. And I'm still in love with the ending pose :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Cq5B5s7eA

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Thanks!

The middle part is devoted to the Finnstep compulsory patterns. It's a required element and they cannot change, alter, or add to the steps--they have to be done exactly as specified by the ISU.

9. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind that a month or so separates the two as VM's was in early august AFAIK.

Back in town now so shall be reading the boards on a regular basis. Internet was spotty on my trip.

Unfortunately I didnt realize earlier that I would be in europe the weekend of trophy eric bompard. Now that air etc is booked it wouldnt be fair to disrupt DH's holiday though he is willing.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  10. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Thanks, I know that, but I still think it could be better :) (That's not to say that I don't think theirs is by far the best SD I've seen. I just think they're capable of even more!)

Also, I'm keeping updated playlists on YouTube of the SDs and FDs for this season.
    SD = http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnxskOIi59kPOJRf-pH9QKuK4_krayxaa
    FD= http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnxskOIi59kN5EbvsUWyX6v-W6F7PS3Fr

11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

O, but you will see them at Nationals, Emdee, right? I am sure you both will have amazing holiday in Europe.

This comparating sjow to me, that this are two very different dances. Like Zoueva talked before season started -one is jazzy, very dancing and i think with trith ballroom feeling.
    Second one is all about speed and flaw.
    VM show music be every part of bodies and i love SS with this jazz feeling. Its great they went into another direction, then they skated before. I think this dance have more music nuances, then all there previoues SDs. Just IMHO. I love they didnt skate across the music, but use every bit of it.

12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

O, thank you! Good to have all programs in the same place!

13. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. Makes me appreciate V&M's SD all the more, so interesting to side by side comparisons. Jenny and Dave are nuts, V&M should by no means dump their SD and start new.

14. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its OK, if fans dont like this SD (i think Dave is FS fan and Jenny were a sinle skater, i dont she have dance expirience). But i cant get this comment too. Let all skaters skate wjat they want to skate and choose what you like the most ;)

15. pani

pani Well-Known Member

16. AsianFSFan

AsianFSFan New Member

Thanks for this, MissJD :) Btw, all your posts resonate what I am thinking ;)

Same with you,Pani!:) Love, love the "mirror" pattern in first part, and that twirl they did close to end of the boards...but mostly, how they embraced the music and made me feel it as it should...

17. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Thanks, Pani.
    Yes I will see them at Nationals and also Skate Canada which I recently booked as well. Its just that I could have as easily flown home from Paris as from Frankfurt if I had thought about it before!

I too agree that the fact that they skate with their whole persons in time to every nuance of the music which evokes a mood. That is wy substituting the music for a VM skate almost never works while this can be done with others

18. parapluies

Jenny and Dave are just sucking up to the USFSA so then can get credentials or w/e. Take their 'critiques' with a grain of salt.

19. parapluies

With the comparison I think Tessa and Scott embody the character and essence of the Finnstep more than D/W. D/W looks like a watered down quickstep.

20. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Oh I did take that comment with a big grain of salt ;)

21. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

V&M so far are the only one who got the SD right. All the others should start from scratch.
    D&W are doing a waltz, not a finnstep. It reminds me of the russians Domnina Shabalin who always were doing a waltz !!!

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

D/W and D/S are not the only ones that waltz. V/M did a waltz last year with the Yankee Polka sequence thrown in.

23. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

Except that this year waltz is not one of the choice of rhythme for the SD. It's suppose to be quickstep plus foxtrot or charleston or swing i think..

24. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Although a slow foxtrot may resemble a waltz, you can always tell it from a waltz:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxtrot

Pretty much all the teams are getting this right time signatures for their numbers, including V&M and D&W.

25. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

So I'm not crazy? I was thinking the same. Some of D&W's choreo looks similar to the opening part of V&M's waltz SD from last year.

We haven't seen the top European couples yet so hopefully they'll do better.

26. AsianFSFan

AsianFSFan New Member

Foxtrot has that look/element of Waltz. Perhaps, maybe that's why some choose this. Also, i think the music pieces chosen to pair up with the season's finnstep pattern work for those couples - even if they're dancing to waltz. Overall, ones that are available to watch most have chosen a "jazzy" feel as their main music choice. Off topic from V/M, I was actually impressed with the opening of the Russian couple -Riazanova/Tkachenko dancing to "Chicago" (correct me if I'm wrong). ;) Mind you, I found all the ice dancers' debut a bit rough but I do see potential in all of them. It would make a very interesting season ...and Olympics. :)

27. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Thank you. So very illuminating.

28. AsianFSFan

AsianFSFan New Member

Really? Not sure i see it...at least not at opening...more like some choreography bits throughout within their programs here and there. Surprising? Not really, again. Probably marina has to take a lot of time to come up with more new elements for both of them, if so. ;)

I too am looking forward to see European couples! I've always like Bourzat/Pechalat :)

29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Doris, i stop reading one forum because of you. I read your like alwayse negative reaction on VM SD and of cause at that point you didnt know, that DW will waltzing in SD. For your information - chareston is allow rythm for this season SD. Waltz - no.
    All we could read Wiki. You could to try educate yourself and watch on youtube how walz and slow foxtrot look like.
    And please, dont answer on this message. Stay in your forum and your thread, dont start your bothering lection without any knowledge background.

maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.
  30. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

Have you changed your mind again about V/M's and D/W's music? On GS, you first said V/M's music is good for Finnstep, and then you saw D/W's SD, suddenly you started to say V/M's music has flaws and the judges may not like it but prefer D/W's choice. So what are you think of it now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.