Virtue and Moir #30 - Labour of Love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by MissJD, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Usually coaches help skaters with this.
    I hope they could show all there potential in there last season. Hope they will show, what the show during practice.

2. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

And therein lies the problem.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with today, I was just replying to Rafter's post.

Do I think V-M are held to a much higher standard? Sadly, yes. But do I think they can more than meet it? Absolutely. So, let's hope they will and trust their process. I am not worried about today because I saw things that I liked today. Levels? They will work on those.

3. volunteer

volunteer Member

Exactly, you make very good points - and they haven't even skated their FD yet.

4. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Just watched the SD. I understand everyone being disappointed at the mark but I really thought that was a great showing for V/M - I thought it looked as smooth as silk and really well prepared. The only obvious mistake to my eye was the twizzle and Tessa even managed to make that look smooth. I saw no evidence of the nerves people are talking about. Yes, they really get nailed in the marks for an error and I don't know why that is, but I loved it.

5. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I think Chock and Bates lost the whole element - just as Paul and Islam did.

6. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

7. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Wow... that was really very lovely! I love the details in their upper body movement and it feels like they really worked on adjusting their skating to truly suit the style of the dance (something I've criticized them for in past SDs)

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Concerto 2 by Glazunov?? I thought they were using the waltzs from The Seasons? I wonder if ISU updated their bio page

9. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Those are from The Seasons.

I know somebody posted when the FD starts but I can't find it.

10. parapluies

I thought marikat meant piano concerto no. 2. I don't remember anything from The Seasons called concerto 2 I need to refresh my memory:lol: I only remember the waltzs Catherine posted on the blog. But I'm glad they chose Petit Adagio it suits them to the T.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  11. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I finally had a chance to see the SD, and I didn't see anything like what you all were describing. It seemed pretty good to me! Certainly nothing to cause a million depressions. Did I watch some sort of different competition?

12. tonkatwofeather

tonkatwofeather Active Member

Well, I say: "Screw the judges and the games they're playing!"
    V&M weren't perfect, but even with the small mistake I'm thinking their SD was superior to anything else we've seen this season, both choreographically and performance-wise! Much as I admire . . . "their closest competitors". . , V&M's program has the potential to dance all night by comparison. (Sorry, forgot: Comparisons are frowned on here. My bad.) (Just stating MHO.)

clarie and (deleted member) like this.
  13. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

What concerns me the most is, like we started to see last season, they put on perfect performances in practice, and then made little mistakes here and there in the real competition. It used to be the other way round. If this keeps happening, they need to sort it out. I think it's the nerves. They are prepared, otherwise they can't be that good in practice. How come they don't believe in themselves any more? This is really puzzling.

14. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

The SD is still very enjoyable. V/M just draw you in naturally. So at least the perfect program is there, it's just a matter of skating it flawlessly.

15. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

i agree. they're almost like anissina-peizerat who at some point in their careers became known for being really good practice skaters. they do really well in practices, then come out really tense in actual competition. they seem to have lost that competition confidence, i think ever since tessa's surgery. i hope they can round it up again this season to win the gold in sochi

16. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I know I'm repeating myself, but I didn't see any 'nerves' at this comp. or in Quebec. Last year there was clearly some issue that was bothering Tessa, whether it was an injury or not, we'll probably never know. This year I don't see it. It was just a bauble on an element that didn't really affect the dance - and that last lift looked wonderful. Watch their SD again and enjoy the sheer beauty of their presentation. I know we're all a bunch of nervous nellies but this is way too early to be stressing out.

17. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Whoa! Anissina and Peizerat? I think we need to calm down a little bit. I agree with you, blueglass

18. tonkatwofeather

tonkatwofeather Active Member

Well, if I were in their in their skates, I'd be damned nervous. There's alot riding on this season! I think if you asked anyone who performs in front of the public -- especially those who are being judged -- regardless of how long they've been doing it -- nerves always are a factor!

19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Love their SP. Always dancing close and in unison. It can only get faster and better.:cheer:

20. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

Calm down, buddy. It's really not that bad. I think V/M will put on a good show in the FD. Let's wait and see.

21. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

it's a great short dance. Those who are scared should re-watch the Quebec Summerskate vid in the Canadian Summer Competitions thread, where they were confident and joyous and nothing went wrong. There were a couple of glitches this time. Who knows why- but they've done extremely well before and will again. I can't wait for Skate Canada!

22. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Tessa has always been nervous at competitions. She's said that a million times (and in the book said she used to always throw up)! I don't think it's any more than that. That's why Scott always gives her those super adorable pep talks. I watched this sd a few more times, and I didn't think she looked especially nervous at all. I agree that she seemed nervous several times last season, but they seemed happy here! (And I trust those who are actually there and saying that!) Besides, I was a competitive dancer for far too long and I don't recall a time I wasn't nervous. I can also say that one bad practice/ performance is definitely not a prediction of future performances. Scores are relative. If everyone is scored lower, that's fine. It IS Olympic season!! And I kinda felt like last season the scores didn't often leave room for improvement in some cases- they can only go so high! Maybe this is the season of no inflation?! ;)

23. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

well, they're not anissina-peizerat level of practice skaters yet; v/m does better with controlling their competition nerves than a/p did, that's why i said almost ;)

24. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Because the judges are telling they're not the best anymore by lowballing them in scores. That's where I think the real issue is. It's frustrating when I see praise and quotes from Tessa and Scott's fellow competitors, other skaters, and coaches when they share their admiration and preference for Tessa and Scott, but somehow that's not translating to the judges.
    There was something wrong with Tessa's ankle at worlds last season but that's all. Unless if you count the cramp that happened at 4CC.

25. parapluies

26. aglee

aglee New Member

It reminds me of "Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss" (housed in the louvre)... except in this case Scott's arms are the wings :)

http://musee.louvre.fr/oal/psyche/psyche_acc_en.html

27. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Same here. I also thought their marks were pretty good, except that one judge, but she/he marked everyone really low.

28. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

IMO, V&M's SD is absolutely brilliant. Within it, they have everything they need to pull in huge scores as the season progresses. Both as an interpretive piece and the actual technical content. That much is very clear to me. At the moment, I wouldn't get too nervous. It's the first competition of the season and Tessa and Scott need to work out the kinks and get a feel for performing their dance in competition. Better have a bobble or two here than at Skate Canada. Hopefully once this program is skated 100% clean the judges will sit up and pay attention. There is so much to appreciate in this new SD, so many nuances that go along with the steps.

I'm preferring to remember the last Olympic season. Both the OD and the FD underwent changes and we saw mistakes here and there but by the end of the season we know what happened. As Scott Hamilton used to say, V&M just need to make sure those butterflies fly in formation. :)

Shayii, you make a very valid point about the judging so what V&M need to learn to do (I know it's easier said than done) is to go out there and not think about where they might fall in relation to other teams but to skate against themselves. Think of the best they have skated and try and measure up to that. Given that we've seen this already incredibly gifted team continously outdo themselves when you look at them from the time they first entered the senior division up till now, there is even more they are capable of. If that makes any sense.

Hope they do well in the FD later on.

29. m_chenning

m_chenning Active Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpgD_fyqUZM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Finlandia Trophy Finlandia Trophy in kiss&cry after SD

All I can say I wish to see happiness on their faces at this season and yes, Tessa is SO beautiful. I wish them to enjoy this time of their life and career. They are strong professionals, I hope they will find their "bubble" and their way to cope with nerves. Amazing duet, amazing skaters (and people).
    Oh, waiting for FD :)

30. marikat

marikat Active Member

Tessa's wearing a light purple dress. It's her old IWHYH dress.
    Gahh the just did a gorgeous sl lift:swoon:

Tessa messed up the twizzles in the run through, and they botched the end of choreo lift. But the program is absolutely beautiful :) very flowing.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.