Virtue and Moir #30 - Labour of Love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by MissJD, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Happy new thread guys! For those that missed it, the title comes from Tessa explaining the new FD.

Here's to an amazing season for our favourite ice dancers! :D

ETA: 2013-2014 Competition Schedule
    Quebec Summer Comp (SD only) – 76.51

Finlandia – SD (Oct. 4); FD (Oct. 5)

Skate Canada – SD (Oct 25 @20:00); FD (Oct 26 @17:30)

Trophee Eric Bompard -- SD (Nov 15@18:45); FD (Nov 16@18:45)

GP Final (Japan) – SD (Dec. 6); FD (Dec. 7)

Canadian Nationals – Ottawa, ON (January 9-15, 2014)

Olympics – Team SD (Feb 8@ 6:30p); Team FD (Feb 9@7p) **Not sure which of these events they will skate in**
    SD (Feb 16@ 7pm); FD (Feb 17@ 7pm)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Thanks! Just a few more weeks to see their labour of love :D

3. ceg15

ceg15 New Member

I just have to say that I just watched M&C's SD then T&S's right after, and there is no comparison. It just made me so excited for the season to start and I really think this SD will have some great results. It OOZES musicality... so jazzy...they are so into their knees, so into the music and it's so refreshing :) love them.

4. tonkatwofeather

tonkatwofeather Member

I agree. Hate to be blunt (or do I?) but M&C's is BLAND in comparison.

5. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Guys, I hope they keep Stay as their exo number. Selfishly, I would love to see a better quality recording of it.

6. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I wanted them to keep it too, but now I hope they have another program just because it's their final season and I want them to have a new EX. But if they do I will not be complaining lol.

Anyways this was posted at FF and I thought it was an old one because I read an article before with Nikita saying something similar, but apparently it's from a new article:

7. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

"Real macho". You know, Spanish is my first language and that's not a very appealing description to a woman these days LOL. I guess he means that he is very masculine and presents his female partner well. Heh.

8. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Lol yes. That's not my favorite word either. The gist of the quote is cute though.

9. Antiloquy

Antiloquy New Member

I disagree. I think both programs are total snoozefests. So far what I've seen of the Finnsteps makes it seem like compulsories are back.

10. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Ha! I was just thinking that EXACT same thing! I'd love to see a good quality recording! It makes me wonder, though, if they use it as an EX if they'll keep the same beginning. I also want to see a new EX (Goose and the Carmen rotational included!!). So I'm going to hope they do "Stay" at Finlandia and debut a new one at Skate Canada! You know, that way we can have it ALL! ;)

11. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

I just remembered - didn't V/M dance a quickstep to "I've could've danced all night"?

12. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

I just saw D/W's new FD.So they not only recycled their own lifts and moves in the past few seasons, but now start to recycle other's lifts. How creative of them. I thought ice dancing values the creativity the most. I really miss the good old days.

13. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

You saw the full FD???

14. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

The practice clips are posted. Since it has been talked up so much, I have to check it out. White is invisible as ususal, and I see the new-found connection is gone again. The SD is available,too. It's quite boring TBH. I can't wait to see how the judges receive them compared to V/M.

15. icefan1005

icefan1005 New Member

I watched it right after & you just notice there are more details in V/M's choreography. There's more character & the music really goes well with the choreography. V/M's ending pose is creative too.

16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

When they will show CSOI on CBC? I downloaded last season version and it was in such great HD quality. Wish to see Stay in HD too.
    I think they will use Stay, because now they are so busy with competitive programs.

And yes, VM used modern version of I want dance all night in exhibitions at GP in 2007, but then change it into Dare to move

17. AsianFSFan

AsianFSFan New Member

Thanks, MissJD! :) My greatest wish/hope: all their programs will be posted in YouTube ASAP after each competition :)

Out of curiosity, I did watch D/W's SD. I giggled at one point...not at their routine...but because I remembered someone's comment stating in hopes that D/W will change their twizzles this season...well, they've stuck on the same one for the umpteenth time...

I love "Stay"...however, I'm greedy! I'd love to see new EX from them ;)

18. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I'm not sure I like to hear people saying the programs are both bland and recycled because the judges seem to prefer both in D/W. Look what happened last year - V/M never really got a fair judging of their FD at least IMO.

19. volunteer

volunteer Member

In all fairness, it's not DW's fault that the lifts are recycled, they are not the choreographers. What is their responsibility is to execute the choreography within the theme, using impeccable skating skills. From the clips we've seen, there seems to be less of the running, hopping steps, but unfortunately this seems to expose their weak bladework, there's alot of 2 foot skating. They've also slowed down too, so the lack of finesse in holding positions, maintaining lines and carriage are front and center.

Please don't chastise me for discussing DW in the VM thread, but I'm just answering the above comment.

20. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I am of the opinion that D/W should not be discussed in the V/M thread. It only invites trolls. It's tempting to compare, but it always leads to contention.

21. volunteer

volunteer Member

I get what you're saying, wouldn't want the thread to be taken over exclusively by comparison discussions. But I think that it's not unreasonable to have a respectful debate.

22. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I agree, Clarie.

23. AsianFSFan

AsianFSFan New Member

Meh. To each, their own. On last thread, I did comment on something missing from V/M's SD. Not entirely but in the section where Muskrat Ramble was playing. Yes, it was rough in some places. But it is to be expected at early stages of the program development. However, the choreography is far from bland. I felt they understood the music very well and it showed (in their body movement and expressions). Can't wait see those improvements soon! Finlandia!

Hmmm...the assumption on judges preferring D/W is debatable. If so, it would have happened every season they competed. All I can see from last season is that judges (seem to) prefer strongly traditional/conservative ideals of ice dancing (re:Italian's Carmen, D/W's Giselle). For that reason, I agree with you that V/M's FD never seem to get the scores it deserved. All we can hope for for this (new) season is NOT a repeat of last season...AND that both V/M's programs will be judged fairly and be very well received/highly favorable to the judges' palate this time. ;)

24. iNap

iNap Active Member

25. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

FWIW, the Muskrat Ramble section is entirely devoted to the two Finnstep patterns. These patterns are a required element and the steps absolutely cannot be altered or deviated from. They can't change them up or add to them in any way. They can only skate these compulsory patterns exactly as described by the ISU. I'll find a link later to the diagram of the patterns, but literally every single step of those patterns is written down and all teams must do exactly those steps in their short dances.

26. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

Well, the trolls are always here, such as inap, who is on my ignore list btw. And I've restrained myself from going into the D/W thread, but every time I went, they are putting down V/M there. We take the high road, but we should not let the truth be denied.

27. volunteer

volunteer Member

28. iNap

iNap Active Member

only 30 V-M treads of truth and all treads that talk about V-M :) this treads has lot off places in heaven when it dies :saint:

29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

One thing bothering me. With trolls help we will have 100 before we will see "Labour of Love" :D

30. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Yes. Maybe for those who want to give an opinion on the skating in SLC they can visit the program thread in Great Skate Debate or the actual competition thread in the Kiss and Cry section. Or The Skating Lesson thread in Great Skate Debate if what brought you here is the tweet from them.

eta..btw, I just added iNap to my ignore list and suggest everyone else do the same. You won't have to see it's posts and it can't communicate with you in PM. Let him continue jerking off in the corner without the audience he so desperately craves.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.