Virtue and Moir 29 - Classical and elegant

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by pani, Jun 24, 2013.

1. pani

pani Well-Known Member

So they will see each other programs at competitions first? Sound interesting :)

2. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Great post! Makes me more appreciative for Scriabin especially the Allegro Moderato part where the piano goes crazy :p Makes me wonder if V/M are going to use that for the ending. Seems like they want a more epic or dramatic ending this time.

3. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Catharine C. I was extremely impressed by your blog and your knowledge of the pieces that Tessa and Scott are using this year. I won't get a chance to actually listen as I'm on holiday right now and away from my own computer (where I'll be able to enjoy in private). I'm hoping this is not their last year competing but if it is, this sounds llike the perfect vehicle to say goodbye and thank you to their many fans. I'm so looking forward to seeing them at Nats, your description of the music has heightened my expectations that this will be a program to remember.

I'm happy to see some new fans popping in here and sharing their thoughts. They are always welcome

4. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

CatherineC, I am also impressed with your blog and details. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have no doubt Tess & Scott will live up to the many expectations. Their skills are incredibly. Please keep sharing your knowledge with us.

5. AsianFSFan

AsianFSFan New Member

Wow! Like claire, That article was truly profound, CatherineC. When V/M first announced their music choices for FD, I couldn't really"see" how. Now, I have a better understanding since you have conveniently break down the music parts. Thank you :)

V/M has always impressed me with their waltz performances (I.e. 2010 worlds CD, 2011 SD) So, it would be gratifying if this season's FD would have that combination of waltz and ballet feel...

Quote from blog:" ...we’ll even see shades from their other dances, such as fragility from Valse Triste, true love from Umbrellas of Cherbourg, modernism from Pink Floyd, perfection from Mahler, passion from Mujer Latina, enthusiasm from Funny Face and madness from Carmen."

This made me quite excited to see if indeed the FD turned out as you've written! (All of those programs were truly mesmerizing to watch)

6. Lety

Lety Member

What you wrote was amazing, Catherine! I already told you this, but I really had to take sometime to add my admiration along with everyone here.

This really touched me, because you wrote many things I also think. Reading it made me very happy!

Congratulations once more! : D

7. pani

pani Well-Known Member

So, Jean Mark twitted he if already in Canada. Interesting to know, what did they change in SD

8. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

Thank you all VERY, VERY, VERY much! I'm so happy that you all enjoyed it! :) I'm so glad to be part of this community! I mean, you're always so nice and grateful! Thanks for your comments, they make me smile ;)

9. parapluies

I honestly can't wait to see the changes and improvements V/M made to the SD!

10. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Now that we've had a view of their SD I'm am looking forward to seeing their FD.

11. lola10

lola10 New Member

Thank you so much for the explanations and pointing out the details from the music. I am listen to it differently now!

Also, thank you Pani for the picture with Generaux. I am very interested to know what they have worked on, but also very happy that they chose last week with no one else watching. Hopefully, Jennifer Swan was in the rink as well, I am just a huge fan of her. For the ones asking who was supervising, well Johnny Jones still seems to be there (maybe even Maurizio Margaglio) so they could take care of the technical side.

Lastly, a big, warm welcome to asianfsfan! Have fun here!

12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think Maurizio Margaglio in Finland now.

13. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

Lety also wrote something for the blog. She decided to explain the three main periods of classical music, which put Romanticism in context, and then she explained Romanticism in detail, including the Late Romantic period -- our two composers are from that particular time. Plus, she also writes about what it's like to play that music.

Explaining Romantic music: Introduction
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/2013/08/explaining-romantic-music.html

Three main periods in classical music
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/2013/08/three-main-periods-in-classical-music.html

The period of Romanticism
    http://compulsorydances.blogspot.ca/2013/08/the-period-of-romanticism.html

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  14. pani

pani Well-Known Member

WOW :swoon: Thanks!

15. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I have hardly had any time to read the board or blog ....it looks like there is loads of interesting reading. Thanks to Iggie, Catherine, Lety et al for all the work which I am sure I will enjoy.

16. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

I, too, want to give a big, no, massive thank you to both iggie and CatherineC. I haven't had time to read it all, but what I have read is amazing. Kate, you have brought such knowledge and understanding to this thread, I really appreciate the time you have taken to do this. The feeling is so much better when you understand the music. It changes everything. I truly admire your dedication to your craft, I wish I had had that much drive and passion for my classes when I was your age. Thank you.

17. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

Thank you, Lety! It was amazing! You explained all of these periods with such an ease! In my music history notebook, there's pretty much the same information, but it feels so much more boring than the piece you wrote. I wish I had a music history teacher like you :)

High five, girl, we did a great job! :40beers: *drinks magical wizard musicians drink*

Ok, I'll shut up :D

18. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

A massive thank you for your warm words! :D Well, about, that I have drive and passion... ehh, not always, especially after the long school days, but I try to not to give up, because it's been too long and I've learned too much to just quit it all.

19. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I am very excited as I just booked my flight and tickets for Skate Canada!
    Just two months left for this event.

20. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yeee! Maybe you could have meeting with other VM fans?

21. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Would love to but I dont know who will be coming to St.John.

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

O, yes, its long distance to go.

23. m_chenning

m_chenning Active Member

Tatiana Tarasova about Tessa and Scott
    (Elena Vaitsekhovskaya's interview)

http://www.sport-express.ru/velena/reviews/34881/

– А что вы думаете о танцах?

– Думаю, что в этом сезоне очень сильно активизируются канадцы Тесса Вирту и Скотт Моир.

– Потому что они проиграли чемпионат мира?

– Не считаю, кстати, что они проиграли его справедливо. Мне они в произвольном танце показались лучше, чем Мэрил Дэвис и Чарли Уайт. Другой вопрос, что оценить "Кармен" канадцев по достоинству судьи оказались не готовы. На мой взгляд, это был выдающийся танец.

– And what do you think about ice-dancing?

– I think Canadians-Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir- are going to be very active this season .

– Because they lost the world championship?

– I don't think, by the way, that they lost it fairly. They seemed to me better than Meryl Davis and Charlie White in FD. Other question that judges weren't ready to appreciate "Carmen" of Canadians. In my opinion it was outstanding dance.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  24. blueglass

blueglass New Member

– Because they lost the world championship?

– I don't think, by the way, that they lost it fairly. They seemed to me better than Meryl Davis and Charlie White in FD. Other question that judges weren't ready to appreciate "Carmen" of Canadians. In my opinion it was outstanding dance.

Oh my...if this is an accurate translation than she is saying what this uneducated fan thought.

25. Lety

Lety Member

Thank you for exposing this Iggie. It was a great pleasure to work on it with you, the end result is great!

Catherine, I really have no words to express my thanks, I am very happy to have someone like you here! Iggie was very important to do this to be so good, she really helped me a lot with that. :D

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read this. ;)

26. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Looks like we have some talented people in this thread. I very much enjoyed your piece on iggie's blog as well, lety.

Thanks for posting this. When she says active, what does she mean precisely? Anyways I wish more people actually spoke up when it count.

27. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

These are pretty bold statements to make. At least we have the Russians on our side as I believe Zhulin said something similar. I agree that the judges didn't appreciate Carmen for what it was. And I definitely think it was a better program then M and C. But I do think that maybe M and C should have squeaked through with the win based on their SD. It was excellent. But the gap was too big IMO. And even though I thought T and S were a bit reserved in the Carmen program because they were very focused, it lost a bit of the freedom of the past run throughs, it still was the best FD of the night. And they should have won the FD. However, a lot of people felt the same way about last season only in reverse.

28. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I think the "active' may be a bit of a mis-translation. She may have meant dominate or aggressive or challenging D and W.

29. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Yes a lot of people did think V/M had no right winning Worlds 2012 and the backlash was pretty big that I even said that Tessa and Scott had no chance last season…and they didn't. They were buried after the SD, it didn't matter what they would have done in FD, that FD performance became more of a sentiment--something they just wanted to get through. Nobody wanted to come to Carmen's defense and even this Tarasova quote doesn't really mean anything coming five months after worlds; if I remember correctly after Worlds 2012 she thought the injustice of V/M winning was so great, she said she was going to write a letter to the ISU. Well looks like the ISU got that letter and a lot more because it was obvious there was no way Tessa and Scott were going to win even if the mistake hadn't happened in the SD. Now that I think of it, it seems like nobody ever comes to Tessa and Scott's defense. Not even their own federation.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  30. parapluies

These people really don't understand how CoP works. FF won because it was technically superior to DF whereass DF looks like it was put together at the last minute.