Virtue and Moir 29 - Classical and elegant

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by pani, Jun 24, 2013.

1. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Wow that thread went by fast! Were gonna reach thirty pages before the season starts.
    I was thinking that maybe Tessa is never at these events because she never has time due to her injury? Managing an injury is very time consuming....
  3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Tessa spend a lot off time in school. Plus this Friday they were in Canada. Maybe she just not a friend of this couple.
    Are you sure she wasnt at this wedding just because we didnt see her on this photos?
  4. parapluies

No I was just speculating :shuffle:
  5. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Hi :)
  7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I like how you wrote №... never seen it done that way...
  8. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was stuck in lab so I couldn't start the thread. And like I said before Tessa not being in group pics is something I've noticed recently. Probably not a biggie as I don't like being in photos too.
  9. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Yeah, my guess is she wasn't there. Tessa doesn't seem as close to the Americans as Scott is and that's okay. She probably was on vacation with her friends or school.

I'm thinking more and more about the new programs. Time is going by so fast, it's practically July! I can't wait to find out what they're doing next.
  10. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Finding out what they're doing next is almost equal to finding out what they're doing last, and I'm not quite willing to go there yet.

That said, I maintain a Swann-choreographed Black/Swan Lake would be the apotheosis of the last four years and go into the annals as one of the all time great programs from one of the all time great ice dancers.
  11. parapluies

No Black Swan please :( its almost as overused as Carmen. And Tessa and Scott are not the type of team to skate to two overused piece of music in a row. They like to shake things up abit. Personally I would like them to do something like Mahler but abit more dramatic/emotional. However, I have a funny feeling they are going to skate to a Rachmaninoff symphony (something familiar but not as overused) or they are going for something more obscure like Die Tote Stadt. Part of me does not want them to use a russian composer because everyone is going to do that (expect alot of Romeo and Juliet, Swan Lake, Scheherazade etc.) and I don't want the same thing to happen like what happened with Carmen this year.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  12. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I know, I know - it's overused. But think about how it combines what they've done these four seasons - the focus on character and portraiture, the shift towards modernity while still rooting things in a place, the expansion of dramatic flair. A great Swan Lake program would incorporate that. So would a lot of other things, admittedly. But to do all that while rooting it back to ballet and classic elegance?
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. icefan1005

icefan1005 New Member

From the previous thread:

The V/M FB group and the Russian VK group have photos. I think you have to make an account though.
  14. pani

pani Well-Known Member

IK will use Swan Lake. From one hand I think for VM this will be great.choice and yes, something dark and dramatic. But yes, this music was so overused.
    I wish to know, what was there first.choice and why they changed there minds.
    And yes, its sad to think about there last competitive programs.
  15. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

There was a first choice and then they changed it? Interesting.
  16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

In last interview Scott said this time they dodnt fall in love with first music they heard, like this was with Mahler. So its inetersting for me what music they didnt choose and why.
  17. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Thanks, icefan1005.

pani, do you know for a fact I&K are skating to Swan Lake?

I agree with Proustable. Swan Lake is considered by popular media to be *the* ballet of Russian ballets, and I so want V&M to put their stamp on it as their signature program. It is a risk because lots of skaters will be using Swan Lake and other Tchaivoksky pieces, but as I said about Carmen, it is so sweet when someone rises to the challenge of making such a warhorse their own. The music from the final act of Swan Lake is one of the most moving pieces ever, for me, and I've always wanted to see a good freedance to it - who better than V&M to bring that to life? And with Swan by their side? :swoon:

I wouldn't mind seeing a more offbeat or voidy interpretation; perhaps with Scott as Rothbart instead of Siegfreid... it's unfortunate that the Black Swan movie has already made those types of interpretations cliched, such as Volosozhar & Trankov's LP (it was good, but not befitting of their talents nor as good as I'd expect from a great Russian pair).
  18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

As for Swan Lake and IK. This rumours i read on Russian forum. nd on Arthur Werner conference. But no confirmation yet.
  19. parapluies

I don't know. If IK are doing swan lake I wouldn't take the risk. Carmen was awfully underscored this season and I'm pretty sure Igor politicking for his own team had something to do with it.
  20. elle123

elle123 New Member

Hey everyone - sorry I've been a little MIA from here since the end of the season (I think I just needed a break after the heartbreak of London and summers are usually busy for me), but love the new thread and can't wait to see what their music choices will be! I agree, I don't think they'll use another "overused" piece of music.
  21. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I would love if they completely went outside the box again, but we all know that's not going to happen especially with how last season played out. But classical and elegant is quintessential Tessa and Scott and if they're just themselves (I hope they just enjoy the moment and realize some things are out of their hands), we'll fall in love with what they do no matter what.
  22. lola10

lola10 New Member

Remember the speculation about George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight? Well, they only waited for a special day to show the golden Canadian dancers and what day is better than Canada Day, 1st July!

http://www.channelcanada.com/canadian-channels/nets/cbc/cbc-canada-day-concert-details (scroll down, over the video)

If I remember correctly, it was taped during Stars on Ice, so it is quite funny to think that they basically celebrated Canada Day in May in order to show it on the 1st July. It's kind of cool!

And, Shayii, where is the quote from Christopher Dean from? This is really like knighting them!
  23. parapluies

Whatever Tessa and Scoot do, I hope they fix the problems they had with the SS and spins.
  24. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Hey Lola it's from this video. Do you know if the strombo interview will be an actual sit down one or something else?

In all honesty the only competition Tessa and Scott got downgraded for their spin was Nationals and we're all still kind of confused about that. The SS is a mystery too because even after they changed it they still didn't get level four.
  25. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Unless I missed something along the way last season, in international competition, no team had a level 4 step sequence in the FD. Up until a few years ago, they were actually VERY rare.

I don't think V/M need to fix a thing.
  26. Lety

Lety Member

Hi guys!

I'm a big fan of Tessa and Scott and I follow this thread since I discovered them (unfortunately not long ago). I'm having the courage to introduce myself just now, but I love reading all comments and learned a lot from the experience of all who are here.

I'm very happy to be with you all, I hope we have many joys with V / M during this season that is coming.

Sorry for my bad English, this is not my official language...
  27. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Welcome -- and your English is perfectly fine.
  28. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Cap/Lan, GPF
    Davis/White, Gilles/Poirier - 4CC

They were rarer last season than in most seasons, admittedly, but for V/M not to get one was highly unusual.
  29. Fort

Fort New Member

I think that they are more likely to get a level 4 on their diagonal than their circular, but I think they are also more likely to get a level 4 if the diagonal is skated earlier in the program, when they aren't tired and are able to hit their edges more cleanly and deeply, their turns more crisply. Hopefully next season's choreography and music allows for that!
  30. parapluies

The FD competition from nats was sooo weird! Everyone kept on getting deductions!

Im just saying that if V/M plan on defeating a inflated-pcs D/W they have to be technically perfect and get all their levels. But above all they have to be healthy :)
  31. lola10

lola10 New Member

Thank you for the link, Shayii! And I have no idea how the format will be. I would guess it is the normal red chair interview, but it could be anything.

I guess the pre-season preparation will be key. Let's be honest, the preparation last season was not ideal: Scott's neck injury and cold, the change of FD and SD comparatively late and then the complete new as well as extremely difficult Carmen in August. During the season, they basically just tried to figure out what to do, chasing the levels and I believe, if they would have finished these two programs in June/July instead of August, they would have had an easier season, getting the levels. All their other programs where done earlier and they did most of the tinkering we saw in Carmen during the season, already in the off-season. Think about: when you are late learning for an exam, do you have the confidence going into it?
  32. pani

pani Well-Known Member

But Carmen couldn be compare to there others FD - its most complex FD they ever done (especially first outing). So kudos to them for be able skate it that way at Nationals and WCh.
    But they learn this season, that judges didnt care about this. So they now know, what to do for get there levels and PCS in next season.
    And yes, whith coaching changes, re-working FD in August it was difficult seaon. Hope this time things will be easy for them. But look like they dint like when things go easy. Look, like they didnt start working on FD after WCh, because they didnt like first music choice.
    So will wait and see, how they will use this season experience.
    And thanks for all information about interview. Cant wait!
    And Today's Bride Magazine
    https://www.facebook.com/todaysbridemagcanada
  33. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Does anyone know which edition of Today's Bride Magazine this is?
  34. parapluies

Thats true. And the coaching change too! and the politicking coming from Igor! what he said after the FD @ Skate Canada was total sabotage! Hopefully they have a better offseason this time. It seems like they starting working on the SD before D/W so I hope they got that down
  35. littleponyjoe

littleponyjoe New Member

Where did you read they started on the SD before D/W? Lovely photos in the Bride Magazine.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  36. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Maybe Tessa-Scott worked on there SD, when DW were in LA. But its just speculation.
  37. parapluies

I just assumed based on pictures that showed up on twitter. V/M started working with Jean Marc waaaay before DW started working with Derek Hough, who I assume is working with them for the SD.
  38. pani

pani Well-Known Member

39. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

40. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Welcome, Lety! :)

Thanks for that vid, pani. I love watching the dancers do lifts off ice and in street clothes. "The Shield" was perfect... I'm going to start calling it that from now on. :lol: