Virtue and Moir #28 - Something In The Way You Move

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

2. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

She reminds me so much of Sasha Cohen there. Sasha did a number for Soi with a bunch of the guy skaters and did a really similar lift. She even has a Sasha ponytail!

3. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Welcome back, chantilly! Thanks for sharing your observations with us.

and wow, iggie! What a wonderful opportunity! Thank you for extending this invitation to us!

Okay, just got back from the show. Let me tell you, clarie is lovely, lovely, lovely! I am so happy to have had the chance to meet, and I hope we can do this again soon. I can't wait to read her reports.
    I want to tell you so many things, but the excitement kind of takes over and it is hard to remember it all! There was just so much to take in. I will do the best I can.
    I will try to collect my thoughts. Before I say anything else, I do want to remind those who are considering attending the show to take advantage of this offer for CAA members. My mother and I received a 25% discount on our tickets by taking advantage of this promotion. Also, check the seats they are offering at the various price levels, because I had intended to buy tickets at mid-level pricing but they ended up being pretty much the same as the lowest price option so we elected to go for the latter and ended up paying less than $30 each. I have yet to see any groupon deals, but will keep my eyes open for them and report back.

4. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see you guys reports!

5. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Ahh you're so lucky Misha!!!!

6. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

7. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Thanks to everyone who provided links and :respec: lola10.

Okay, I wanted to film the performance for you cut I could not find my camera charger. Sorry. I will post this review in installments as it will take some time to gather all my thoughts.

“Stay”-Rihanna

In a word: exquisite. I got emotional during this piece because they so perfectly conveyed a deep yearning, an intense longing. I was mesmerized by the shapes they created with their bodies and the various tones and nuances they offered within their movement.

I know people are curious about the beginning of this program so I will try to describe it as best I can. Please ask questions if you find my description difficult to understand. The routine begins with Scott lying on his back and Tessa to his right, lying on her side and turned away from him. When the music begins Tessa rolls over and does something like a push-up over Scott (she gets on top of him facing him and gently lowers herself towards him). Then Tessa lies on her back with Scott holding himself above her in a position that mirrors Tessa’s previous one. Tessa then bends her knees and arches her back such that her body rises to almost meet his. In just the opening seconds they offer a compelling narrative and draw you deeper into the story as the program unfolds.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  8. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

:eek: I feel like I've read something like this in a fanfiction before! :lol: now I REALLY want to see the beginning! Does Scott do something like this on top of Tessa? http://youtu.be/XZc0pG2nqU4?t=1m34s

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  9. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

this reminds me of one movement katia did in vocalise at the beginning when she was lying on ice away from sergei, then doing a move similar to that one described to get herself up from the ice. Bournekraatzfan, if you remember that move in vocalise, is it similar to what tessa is doing?

10. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Whoa. The further I read, the "redder" my face got lol. Awesome thanks so much for sharing. Can't wait to read the rest.

11. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

iggie, congratulations. I can't believe you will get to speak with Tessa and Scott in person.

ITA.

I can post till the cows come home (and sometimes feel I go a little overboard) but all of a sudden I have no idea what to ask them. :lol:

iggie, I do like the idea for suggestions for an exhibition but aren't V&M's programs from next year done or at least they already know what they are skating to?

I (like a few others) still want to see a really great, edgy, slinky, sultry Blues number. No matter how many years have passed and V&M have done some amazing programs including the epic Carmen, the Blues CD from junior worlds (which doesn't really count as a true program) is still one of my favorites. At the very least, I wish the Blues would have been used as the CD at some point during this quad. As good as the CD was back then, just think of what it would look like now after how much Tessa and Scott have progressed in their technical skill and maturity/expression. I'd also like to see another tango for the same reason.

12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I loooove that dance. I always wished V&M would work with Travis Wall.

Oh! Maybe I can suggest that through iggie. :lol: I think I want to tell them, in a nice way, that I want them to continue in the direction of Carmen as pros, even if they feel silly when everyone else is doing pop songs, because they're just hitting their stride artistically.

13. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Perfect description and very "steamy", modern dancish. I had a tear in my eye at the end. The lines they create are magical. Their costumes are very reminicent of SYTYCD routines.

It was truly a delight meeting up with Bournekratzfan and her lovely mother....both beautiful women. BKfan will be able to describe details better than me....methinks her short term memory is considerably better than mine :lol: We chatted over coffees after the show and just had a wonderful time. It's so nice to put a face to a terrific poster, and we found out we live only a few blocks away from each other, so we'll have to meet up again next time something like this comes to Kingston :).

Sitting rinkside gives a different perspective to the skating........hearing the growling of the skates, seeing the little sweat beads on the skaters, detail of the costumes (which were wonderful btw)

One notation about Tessa is that she (as well as Scott) was totally committed to the choreo and was a "standout" among the women with her beautiful carriage (back and arms) and those beautiful soft knees. The girl can dance. She also proved how "bendy" she is in the "Champions" number.

My overall impression about the show was that it was very slick and well rehearsed with the routines reminding me of sycho skating and very well done. Cudos to Jeff, Roca/Sur, and Kurt........best SOI ever for me.

I'll try to add more as it resurfaces in my nice little teflon brain :)

14. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

BTW.......Scott's leather clad butt landed right in front of me at one point and I was temped to give it a little pat :D. He definitely has a gorgeous physique that a woman of any age can appreciate.

15. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

And you passed on that opportunity ;) How kind of you to be so thoughtful on his account. Scott can be my skating teacher any time he wants since I don't skate very well.

16. marikat

marikat Active Member

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

18. parapluies

That's why I only suggested music for exhibitions :D

19. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Haha! I wonder what his reaction would have been and those around you. Now that's an amusing thought.
    Thanks. That pic of the split lift is everything! I will be so upset if they wouldn't be able to use it.

I wanted to share this vidlet with you guys. It's turned my pessimism to optimism for next season and I won't give up. (I wonder what Scott is thinking as he's staring after Tessa at 1:35).

20. sequins

sequins New Member

:lol: I think I read that one too.:lol:
    :grope: :lol:
    Thanks for the recap BKfan and claire glad you enjoyed the show.

Way to go iggie so exciting! I wish I could contribute something usefull but I really have no idea what I would say. Well nothing they'd wanna answer anyway like 'Tell me what music you're skating to next year damn it!':lol:

21. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Guys, how audience like "Stay" and "Carmen"?

22. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

That video just truly shows the deep and loving connection they have for each other. It's not faked, it's not contrived -- it is a living, breathing entity and we are fortunate to be witnesses to such. They really are a gift to skating and I thank them for it.

23. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

From where I was sitting, the audience seemed to receive both numbers extremely well, but then that was the case with most of the numbers because the show was extremely good and there was only one fall amongst all the skaters. However, that being said, Tessa and Scott received a very loud ovation at the beginning of the show along with Patrick. The way things were seguated was nice, one number fades out while the other is starting.......very nice effect. I do believe they received partial standing O's but I'm not sure...BKfan could probably tell you more as she was a bit higher up.

24. blueglass

blueglass New Member

As far as I could tell the only standing ovation was given to Kurt after 'Singing in the Rain' and then everyone remained standing for the other skaters as they came out. The SOI audiences in general don't seem to stand much for anyone - not like the old days. Could be because of the general age of the fans which undoubtedly is older.

25. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Reading all these positive comments on the show has got me excited for Friday!!! :) Thanks for all the awesome reports!

26. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

The opening number to "Somebody I Used to Know" by Gotye had me overwhelmed because there were skaters coming out of nowhere.....I was watching a skater out on the ice and then there's Joannie doing a step on and off the boards of the rinkside seats with her umbrella......then they were all over the place.....certainly skater overload :lol: for sure......it was a great opener but keep your eyes peeled or you'll miss something as there's so much going on. I hope you have as great a time as we did Daniskates93

Oh yeah.....I got to "hi 5" the skaters at the end...........they all had warm hands :)

27. parapluies

Are you going to take photos?

28. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

This is so exciting! Would love a Q and A with really fun, light questions! I feel at times Tessa and Scott are so skittish around the media and fans that questions about their dances for next year or why they are staying with Marina might alienate them. Loved the fun questions the Russian fans or the Orange Team gave them. Any chance you can video like they did? Have a blast!

29. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Wow iggie, you have absolutely scored the big one here! Narrow things down to a few questions and give them copies of your magnificent blog to take away. I'm blanking out on questions but just enjoy, enjoy! And get back to us all on this!

30. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

I'm going with my mum, but I also have a media pass from SOI to photograph the show! :) Very excited!!!