Virtue and Moir #28 - Something In The Way You Move

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

That's beautiful... not at all what comes to mind when I think "acrobatics"... thanks for posting.

2. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

no problem, this was more cirque acro and those two were in cirque de soleil for a while

3. ceg15

ceg15 New Member

Haha I was listening for it at the Halifax show, but he didn't do it!!

I love the pic of them hugging in the tunnel, so typical!! haha

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  4. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Thank you for the links, pani, Shayii, and PEZazzz (that was some crazy adagio lifting--I loved it!).

I am so excited to both see the show and meet the lovely clarie! She has on-ice seats, so I can't wait to hear her impressions of the show! I will try to add any details I can recall:)

5. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

A little detail I noticed. Even though Tessa and Scott changed their orginal carmen spins to something more familiar, it is still very different. For example, in FF he is carressing her face http://images.lpcdn.ca/641x427/201112/09/449033-tessa-virtue-scott-moir.jpg in Mahler his hand is on her back: http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/...Figure Skating Championships HChTmq9Z_PGx.jpg and in Carmen it looks like he is choking her:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/cms/binary/8113591.jpg so yeah he is still pretty much in character. All these little details keep in theme with the dance.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, I am excited to see SOI tonight in Kingston and meeting up with Bournekratzfan before the show and after for a coffee and discussion. I'm not very good at details but she is so expect a nice review from her. My review will probably be short and sweet.......not so good at tiny details. From pics I've seen, I love the costuming this year.

maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Enjoy the show and get together Clarie and BKfan.
    BK fan is just fabulous when it comes to her details, isnt she.
    Iggie is up there with her descriptions and perceptions.

8. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Have a greta evening! You are lucky to have VM fans meeting :)
    Hope you have a reat time!

9. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

Enjoy the show!! It would be AMAZING if either of you could video the beginning of Stay..have been dying to see the opening to it! But, most importantly, ENJOY!

10. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

For some reason I was thinking you guys will be at the Toronto show. Anyways I really hope you guys have a blast and can't wait to read your review.

11. parapluies

So they are still working with Cirque du Soleil? I wonder if the new lift they did in Stay was suppose to be in Carmen but they took it out.

12. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like a lift that would suit the Carmen they skated.

13. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Aw, thank you so much for the kind words and wishes, clarie, Emdee, pani, Shayii, and HSGP21 (nice to see you posting again:)). clarie is so knowledgeable about music and dance, so I can't wait to hear her impressions. I will report back with anything i can remember, but i will warn you that V&M's skating tends to leave me speechless! It might take a while for me to collect my thoughts. I will see if i can find my camera.

14. lola10

lola10 New Member

First all, Bournekraatzfan and Clarie enjoy the show and already thank you so much for the report, I am sure it will be great (the show and the report).

Then, I watched some of Jean Marc Genereux choreography and I think he is a great choice for Virtue and Moir. It seems he tries to combine modern elements with traditional transition. The Finnstep is very ballroom-like so it could fit nicely in a ballroom SD with some modern elements to make it more unique. He could bring out their dancing abilities and chemistry since he tries to make his dancers to perform with each other rather than for the audience. Does that make any sense?
    Actually, I like his choreography, even the music is not as cheesy as I expected.

The Finnstep derives from a Quickstep routine by Susanna Rahkamo and Petri Kokko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m0xMDwr9HU

15. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

So which team do you think the Finnstep favors as the OD. I hate to admit it might be Davis and White. They in general don't have as deep edge quality as Virtue and Moir and seem to prefer quicker lighter steps in general. It is a very hard dance though. I am expecting a lot of mistakes in the GP series from many dance teams.

16. lola10

lola10 New Member

Ultimately, I think Virtue and Moir will have the edge. It is similar to the Samba SD, for me, they were one of the few teams who actually were able to incorporate the Samba into a coherent LATIN DANCE program. Most teams did some modern Disco performance. I think they are able to do a DANCE instead of some cheesy performance to a modern pop song. Concerning the Finnstep, you need speed but they have it and having the right timing as well as lines is more important than the speed. Which counts is being able to change your speed to the rhythm while holding the line as well as staying close to your partner and that is definitely one of their strengths. Something people complained about their SD last season is that it does not carry the Polka feeling or celebrates the Polka, well here they could make a Finnstep feast. They are true dancers and that is a dancy pattern. (Maybe talking up the joy of a Finnstep publicly helps as well)

Here is a helpful analysis by ice-dance.com: http://www.ice-dance.com/main/technical-reference/dance-patterns-descriptions/finnstep

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  17. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I am not so sure. I think that it's also a dance that requires the kind of elegance that Davis/White don't quite have. On the other hand, elegance can only help with PCS and probably GOE a little (at least it should, which doesn't mean that it will), but not with levels.

P.S.: lola10 explained it better. Of course, she is right - it's not just elegance per se.

18. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

One thing that's important in a quickstep is a great topline. The lower body does the work while the upper body remains still. V&M have excellent posture and they skate close together.

19. parapluies

That wasn't the case in 2009 when they first performed it. V/M beat them even with mistakes.

20. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

That was my thought as well. I think it favours them:

http://www.ice-dance.com/main/technical-reference/dance-patterns-descriptions/finnstep

That has V&M written all over it.

21. Sonata

Sonata Member

22. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

:eek:

okay

let me tell the story. i was talking to a friend about my blog at a coffee shop. he's like, why don't you meet them. i'm like, you know how hard they are to get in touch with? i'm trying. i've been trying to set up a q and a for like a month and nothing's coming from it. pj is going send them a link to my blog post, the debut of carmen. ... a day later, i realized that if i went to the meet and greet, they could be there and therefore i could see them. then i went on a quest to find out how this meet and greet thing worked, only to find out that i was too late. i found out at midnight that the application was closed at 5 p.m.

so then i emailed stars on ice, told them about my blog and why i'd LOVE to see tessa and scott. the next day, i get an email from img. they'll leave me a pre show pass and "Tessa and Scott will try to catch up with you then."

OMG

so what i do with you all? do i say nothing and surprize you with a review you never expected? or do i let you know and we can put something together to give them? i decided ... well, it's obvious.

let's put something together. i'm thinking of a book with different chapters:

- music suggestions for free dance, short dance and/or exhibition and why?
    - well wishes for their last and olympic year
    - thanking them for carmen + this season
    - favourite moments from their career
    - thoughts just for scott
    - thoughts just for tessa

send me something for any category (one, two ... all. your choice) + your name (real name, screen name, your choice) and city.

+

send me Q and A questions too!

and PLEASE do NOT pm me. you'll all max out my pm limit so email me: compulsorydances@gmail.com
    deadline: wednesday at 11 p.m., toronto time. 24 hours. sorry! (ok ... i'll push it to thursday at 3 p.m. but you all need to hustle and you can't all get it to me thursday at 2:59 p.m. okay. so meet the wednesday deadline, you're guaranteed to get in. thursday, not so certain).

make sure your email subject line clearly says what topics your sending me.

this stars on ice thing just became epic.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  23. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I did actually look at both Finnsteps from 2009. And V and M were better. But only by just over a point. They made a mistake true but D and W lost their timing in the second half. V and M have better carriage in general it is true. But D nad W aren't terrible there either. their issues to me are always the attention to details, their lower body line and unison. Also V and M had better snap and precision and unison and I think speed. But D And W have definitely improved. And I think it will come down to the overall program and the day. The thing is is that D and W rarely make mistakes. And this dance looks like it is asking for them. I felt much better about V and M after watching them on youtube. But it will be an interesting season. I was thinking too the other day if they will use lyrics in their FD. I was thinking that a sexy bluesy number to Unchained melody would suit them. It is sexy and romantic,a classic song and it builds.

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Oh wow... awesome :respec:

Do you think you will get an opportunity for some Q&A? Cause someone had posted in an old thread asking what we would ask them if we could, and there were some really good ones. But I'm sure you'll get lots of essays, especially considering how much we all love to write on here. :rofl:

That's such a nice idea to have separate things for Tessa and for Scott. :)

25. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

YES!

send me Q and A questions too. i don't know if i can sit them down for a q and a or if i can ask them to answer them later? maybe a few questions right then?

make sure your email subject lines clearly indicate what the content is ... is it Q and A? Is it a note for tessa? one for scott? especially, if you send it later, make it organized.

i'll go edit the original post.

26. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

wow! good job iggie! have a great time! :eek:nothing to add in particular at the moment :)

27. parapluies

OMG you are SO lucky! I want to ask them something but I don't know what to say.

28. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

breathe people. get your thoughts together and let's make this epic!

29. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Oh wow! How cool! I'm not sure what to say to them. I feel like I already spilled my guts to them in the book Jess gave them. But I might have a question--why are you guys staying in Canton? J/K...or am I? No, but seriously I'll think of a good one and send it to you. How exciting this is I'm so happy for you!

ETA: I think I know what else I can say. I can write to Tessa how freaking amazing she is. And Carmen. thank you for doing this Misha.

ETA2: I just send you a question. When/if I think of something else I'll send that too!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  30. parapluies