Virtue and Moir #28 - Something In The Way You Move

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Apr 19, 2013.

1. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Get well soon!

2. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

It's been very hot in Latvia for these past 2 weeks. I even was on the beach, and the water wasn't cold at all! For one day Latvia was second hottest nation in Europe behind Spain! I think that says everything. :D Now it's a little bit colder, there were some thunderstorms this week, but it's still warm out there!

3. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

And, get well soon, Emdee! :)

4. lola10

lola10 New Member

5. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

6. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

7. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I'm sorry Tessa and Scott but in that pic the only thing I could focus on was the blue pants :p

8. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Does anyone think that T&S will take Cup of Russia as their first pick instead of Skate Canada? Or will they go for SC and TEB?
    Patrick will likely go for the SC & TEB combination and historically Patrick and TS pick the same GPs. On the other hand picking Cup of Russia maybe a good political move for both T&S and Patrick.

Also speculating to keep the thread going.

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

10. pani

pani Well-Known Member

:lol:

11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

CoR will be BS choice. Thats why for me it wasnt good BS took medal at WCh. But from other hand, DW will choose first, so in any case VM will not be at CoR :(
    I think Chan will take SC and CoR. Maybe with W-P and one of the pair teams (D-R or if S-S will be there, with MT-M). Just speculations.
    And VM could be at NHK or TEB. All depends on DW choice.

12. lola10

lola10 New Member

Okay, this could be completely wrong because I hardly remember the interview. But when Ingo Steuer was asked last season, how they choose their Grand Prixs, he explained that each team who is in the top 10 (?) at worlds has two picks.
    Firstly, all the first choices are counted regardless of the second one, which means if Davis/ White picked Skate America as first GP and Bobrova/ Soloviev Cup of Russia as first choice then both will get their first picks. At that point it does not matter if Davis and White are choosing Cup of Russa as second pick. If both teams, Davis and White as well as Virtue and Moir would have picked TEB as first or second choice then Davis and White would get the green light as the winner of the WC.
    Steuer also mentioned that there is this unwritten rule beyond the skaters that you simply do not pick the home grand prix of one of the medallists as your first choice. Finally, I think Virtue and Moir will do Skate Canada and TEB, mostly because I fear that two travels to Japan would not be the best for Tessa's legs.
    I have no idea if Bobrova and Soloviev will go the same route as Volosozhar and Trankov and not pick their Home Grand Prix, but then there is a small chance for Tessa and Scott.

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Zhulin in last interview said B-S will doing CoR.
    In first pick D-W wil pick SA, VM - SC and BS - CoR. And then DW will pick first there secong GP event.

14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I know that is what Zhulin said he thinks will happen.
    But what happens if DW pick SA. Then VM pick COR.....
    If V&T are not picking home gran Prix then what will prevent T&S from picking COR.

15. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

I think:
    D/W- SA and NHK
    V/M- SC and TEB
    B/S- COR and COC

16. lola10

lola10 New Member

It really does not matter what the Pairs teams or Singles are doing. Each discipline stands on its own.
    If Virtue and Moir pick Cup of Russia first, they will get it (if Davis and White take Skate America), but then they also have to fear to lose the Skate Canada spot. I do think they want to compete in Canada and do not want to have the hate of the Russian Federation for stealing their team's spot.

17. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

lola10 - yes that could be an issue ie getting the anger of the russian fed.

Actually it does matter what the singles are doing as historically Patrick and VM have chosen the same GPs over the years. It could be because they have the same physiotherapists etc. who travel with them. Slipchuk is also usually with them

18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think so too. Only maybe DW will pick TEB, but also maybe they like NHK, even if Charlie hate to do NHK last season.

19. lola10

lola10 New Member

Oh, okay! Then I misread you because I was talking about the selecting by the ISU. But, I think the federation have a say in the Grand Prix decision of their skaters as well. And would make sense to have as many Canadian skaters at one Grand Prix as possible.

Why that? Did he say something? I always thought that Davis and White liked competing in Japan. Anyway, NHK might be the least wanted Grand Prix for any team from America or Europe because of the travelling (twice to Japan is quite stressful, regardless of how well the event is organised or how supportive the audience is)

20. pani

pani Well-Known Member

His mom said at GPF Charlie was very angry on Scott, because Scott choose CoR and he need to have long trip to Japon.

Federations send to ISU wish list (like i understand).

21. parapluies

Can they even go to CoR?

Lol really? Where did you hear this?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  22. lola10

lola10 New Member

Only if they pick it first (and as stated above, could draw some anger from the Russian Federation because they are blocking one of their teams with this choice). If they want to secure a European spot, they probably have to pick that one as first choice and have an agreement with Skate Canada to secure them a SC International spot. In this case TEB would be the safer choice since they are not really colliding with any team then, even if Skate Canada is their second choice. They probably would get both their picks.

When are the assignments published? Was it next week?

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

24. lola10

lola10 New Member

Thank you! I should have looked there before asking! But, does this mean they post the assignments on the 1th of July or later?
    Also, this whole drawing system for the Grand Prix events is as complicated as anything else in the ISU.

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

She told this at GPF to some of there fans, who said they wish to see them at CoR.

26. parapluies

Lol wow that's something you don't hear everyday what ever happend to classy D/W? :saint:;) Anyways I thought he loved japan?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  27. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I think that they'll have SC and TEB
    Meryl and Charlie will take SA and NHK
    and Ekaterina and Dimitri will take CoR and CoC

Good for all of them since they are all especially loved in these places

28. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I knew competitions were selected strategically to avoid head to head meetings with the primary competition early in the season, but the way the process is described here is really confusing. Interesting though - and it's kind of funny to think of skaters and federations getting huffy about it.

29. iNap

iNap Active Member

D-W class is all good and fine not to worry ;) you people must be champions at telephones games when this not even your own telephone :rofl:

30. parapluies