Virtue and Moir #28 - Something In The Way You Move

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I can see both your point of views. And I really appreciate your post Lola cuz I realize things have been gloomy in here for awhile and it can't hurt to infuse some optimism in here. I don't blame Marina for everything (she probably wouldn't even be number 5 on my list of who to blame if I had a list) and I do think she loves them, but she probably loves her pride more. And because she has two top teams it mostly doesn't matter to her which one comes out on top. In addition she has made some very questionable comments re Tessa and Scott; especially in the 11-12 season and her reaction at Worlds that year. Anyways I just don't trust her because I don't think she has their best interests at heart anymore. None of this matters, we're all just speculating from what we observe from the outside; the only opinion that counts is Tessa and Scott's and they don't have a problem with it.

2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes, its just speculations. And at the end its no matter I am trust.her or no, I like her or no. Will see who was right at the end of the day. You know, I will be happy to be wrong, because in this case TS become happy :)
    But I never were Canton fan, or Zoueva, Shpilband fan, but just VM fan.

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Ditto, I generally find her choreography dull and uninspiring, and felt that Igor was all about churning out teams who could do level 4 twizzles but who lacked finesse. That V&M could make me a fan in spite of that is a testament to their talent.

4. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I think that asking Skate Canada to promote any of their skaters as 'the best' will be the death knell for their careers. FS fans seem to save their worst vitriol for Canadians - I mean just read the threads on Chan and Osmond. And for what it's worth, if what has been said here about the US federation's pushing of DW to the detriment of VM is true, than it's poor sportsmanship and the same old nonsense from the past rearing it's ugly head.

5. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Lets just hope Marina doesn't give them Ave Maria or Requiem.

6. Proustable

Proustable New Member

And what'll end up happening is that neither will win.

7. lola10

lola10 New Member

Somehow, I doubt we are going to see either! She could never give them one of these or somethinge similar.

Off topic (again): I asked a friend who works at a TV station about taping airing. She said it is different for every show obivioulsy. Sometimes it is life (mostly the Breakfast shows are life interviews), Debating shows are mostly taped at the same day because of the topics that are discussed. And entertainment shows with celebrities mostly depend on the schedule of the person. They once had Tom Cruise in the studio to promote his new film. The interview was taped three monthe before it was aired because he happened to film some sense in Germany and had some time, but the film was coming much later. It is aired when it makes the most sense, in Tessa and Scott case that could be before the season starts.

8. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

This.

It's not the programs and the training under Marina that I question. It's what happens once the season has actually begun. We've talked about this before that in icedance it isn't just about the programs and the actual skating it's all the politicking or promoting by the federations and coaches that also takes place off ice. Marina may have allowed Tessa and Scott to work with outside choreographers to really stretch themselves and explore new ideas but what good is that when she publicly makes comments that put V&M in a negative light. And I keep saying that Marina has been in the sport long enough to know how things work and she isn't naive or stupid. Especially in icedance revealing a weakness whether it's an injury or something else can be counted against teams.

While some of our posts can come across as negative and being real downers, I don't think it's being defeatist but more like being realistic. Watching everything that has happened in the past two seasons in particular I just can't ignore those things. Maybe it's perception but V&M have to work twice as hard and be twice as good to get the scores. I do think that any skater has to share the responsibility for where their careers end up but there are outside things at work as well. I don't think it's all on Tessa and Scott when it comes to the season they had.

I suppose now that V&M know what the judges are rewarding and if they once more choose to go the route of filling their programs with more challenging content that takes the entire season to gel then I suppose I can say they have to take most of the blame as they would have made a choice to be artists and push themselves over a shot at winning the gold medal.

In the end Shayii is right. No matter what we think and how Marina's behavior comes across, Tessa and Scott clearly still believe in her.

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I agree with you. It differenct aspects skaters are responsibil for there careers too. All top skaters are adults, so...
    Now Camerlengo is angry on Pechalat. OK. But why Pechalat must care about this, if she have maybe last chance to win medal at OG?
    All this - Marina gave to us so many different things we couldnt left her, sound not adults. Or - wait, she will be upset and could do something bad for us.
    I agree - our thought sound realisics. And we all will be happy to be wrong, i think. And we all love, what VM are doing on ice. But what could we do?
    Maybe i must to tell something to Zoueva in Nice, in Moscow, Sochi :lol: (joking).
    Now we have long summer ahead of us. Time for life without FS :D

10. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Yup time for life without FS and that is precisely what I will be doing for the next little while.
    Pani May 2 4 weekend is important for us as its the first weekend of good weather in Ontario so we can garden. But I was away so my garden is full of weeds and lots of work there.
    Then I think as July comes in I will probably start to watch all the old T&S videos to get me into the mood for the season.
    I will also probably go for the Thornhill ice dance show. I think thats where they debuted their program before the last olys and hope they go there ( 5 minutes drive from home) for the sake of tradition....

11. lola10

lola10 New Member

Just in my defence: I have never said she is an angel (actually quite the opposite), I just have a hard time with pointing fingers at somebody we hardly know. I was lucky enough to see them at the TEB 2011. Before they went on the ice for the FD, Tessa seemed somehow nervous and all of the sudden, Marina started dancing around with Tessa, kind of spinning her to cheer her up.
    I also mentioned that there is a double standard applied them. Someone mentioned somewhere that there seems to be "The ISU Rulebook for Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir", I think that pretty much sums it up.

And there is a difference between being realistic and absolute negative. I would dare say I am quite a realistic person, otherwise I wouldn't even study right now, but I am still optimistic about many things. It can go hand in hand. Sometimes those "gloomy" posts just outweigh the posts about their skating or skating-relating topics or how they are one of the best Ice Dancers ever as well as the very best Ice Dancers of their generation by a country mile and then some . I don't think we are whiny but at times we sound like a bunch of bitching teenagers.

However, here are a lot of beautiful pictures from Stars on Ice in Toronto and Hamilton. It is organised by skaters instead of programs: http://www.scratchspin.com/2013/csoi13/csoi13.shtml

12. parapluies

Tessa's leg extension http://www.scratchspin.com/2013/csoi13/13011332.jpg :swoon:
    http://www.scratchspin.com/2013/csoi13/13010698.jpg
    She looks soo happy!
    Scott too! http://www.scratchspin.com/2013/csoi13/13020494.jpg
    https://twitter.com/SportsWkndScott/status/337204779648430080 Look Tessa and Scott in the background!

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

How do you think, is this new interview?

14. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes, Tessa and Scott showed Mahler in August at Thornhill classic. It was sensation. In any case.you will see few interesting ice dance teams.
    Look, like Shpilband group will have debute in Lake Placid. I read in Gorshkov interview.Rayzaniva-Tkachenko.want.to do this.

15. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I have to figure out how to get to LPIDC this year if Igor's school is there: (C&L, C&B, R&T, T&S, and P&B especially) :)

Unfortunately, when it gets to the point, it will probably be C&J only.

16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Who is T&S?
    I am sure PB will show there programs in October at French Masters.
    But C-B, RT and K-G-Sh could be there.

17. parapluies

18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

19. lola10

lola10 New Member

Well, we don't know until we see what he is actually doing, but his words are the same that Tessa and Scott used prior to last season so maybe he was inspired by them. It would somehow be cool when skaters start to go into the direction of Virtue and Moir in terms of taking risks and trying new things. Definitely showing certain Organisation who actually has an impact on Figure Skating.

20. parapluies

I am pretty sure he was still inspired by Tessa and Scott even if its just alittle bit. I wonder how many modern Carmens there will be next season ;) :p

SOI photos http://davecskatingphoto.com/photos_2013_soi-halifax.html

21. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its Lorie inspired by her work with Caro and her modern Bolero. I love this LP and hope she will use it for next season.

22. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

I certainly hope this happens again, as I'm the vendor photographer for this event again this year! Which means that I'll get to see their olympic programs twice (insert happy dance here)!

23. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Tobias and Stagiunas from Lithuania.

24. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    Especially if Igor will use VM music again, his teams will be in LP for sure :lol:

25. parapluies

He will probably give C/L Mahler and they can scratch that off their "list of music V/M have used that we haven't danced to yet" :lol:

26. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Maybe C&L will do a modern dance Mahler!

27. parapluies

Then they'll be killing 2 birds with 1 stone :lol:

28. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

This is a bit hard on C&L. Cappellini & Lanotte have been competing together since the 2005-2006 season. Only twice have they used music that Tessa and Scott have also used, and one of those programs was Carmen which many, many teams have used at one time or another, and will use again. The other program the teams both used was Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

C&L's Umbrellas of Cherbourg (an all instrumental version, mostly to "I will wait for you," which is the main theme of the movie, and if a team is going to do Umbrellas, IWWFY almost has to be included)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjQXgza8PGU

Tessa & Scott's Umbrellas of Cherbourg (a very different set of cuts with lots of vocals, including a sung version of IWWFY)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjqNbM9RHM

So as copycats, I don't think you can particularly indict C&L. I don't think it's clear that C&L deliberately wanted to set up head to head duelling Carmen FDs since Tessa & Scott's Carmen started as a short dance while C&L's was always an FD.

Here is C&L's program list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Cappellini#With_Lanotte

FD
    2013 Carmen
    2012 La Strada
    2011 (Two different FD programs were used) Umbrellas of Cherbourg/Melody Gardot Our Love is Easy/Goodnite
    2010 Requiem for a Dream
    2009 Love Story
    2008 La Traviata
    2007 I've Got Rhythm
    2006 This is a Man's World/Wring that Neck

OD
    2013 Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    2012 Volveras
    2011 Que Sera, Sera/Girls, Girls Girls
    2010 Torna a Surriento/Tanatella La Danza
    2009 Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen/Tarantella La Danza
    2008 Bubamara
    2007 Tango Oblivion/Violentango
    2006 Historia de un Amour/Cupacapra

29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Do you really think we didn't know CL music list?
    And UoS was copy of VM FD. In Moscow we was joking Morozov did choreo from YouTube.
    Honestly I hope this season Shpilband will stop put all his pressure on CM and will give DW FD music to PB

nylynnr and (deleted member) like this.
  30. parapluies

I was only joking. I actually felt bad for them when I heard they were going to skate to Carmen. Especially after V/M at Wch.

I wouldn't besurprised. It is Morozov we're talking about.

Last edited: May 24, 2013