Virtue and Moir #28 - Something In The Way You Move

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

3. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

My impression is that typically, Canton programs were largely choreographed by Igor and Marina, with off-ice choreographers giving the skaters a flavor of the dance -- some highlight moves, a basic feeling of how the dance should be presented, etc. I'm not sure how much of that would have needed to be videotaped, because I'm guessing, maybe outside of D/W's Bollywood OD and the Shibs recent Memoirs of a Geisha program, Marina would already be familiar with most of the dance styles, and the way moves are done on ice would be different from the floor, anyway.

It sounded like "Carmen" was approached from an entirely different angle, where the majority of the choreography (or ideas behind the choreography) was first done off-ice, and then translated on-ice. That type of approach would be best done if the off-ice choreographer works together with Marina and comes to the rink to see what works and what doesn't. One of Jacquelyn Thayer's articles (I'm sure someone here has the link!) described the difficulties of this approach -- and perhaps suggests the reasons why this approach is not commonly used.

4. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I think that's right. I always thought, as you say, that the experts come on later to add bits to the dances choreographed by Marina/Igor. Given the timeline for this year, I'm guessing V&M did not have a dance already choreographed with their SD elements before going to Jean Marc to add flair... so they would be learning the "flair" first. But maybe they did a rough sketch of their dance on the ice right after Worlds?

It was so worth it though. :swoon: Artistically, anyway.

6. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

If the product is primarily choreographed by Marina, the off-ice choreographers can come into the process at any time -- and depending on busy schedules, this type of flexibility is probably best. If they come into the process early, then they can help conceive a basic idea, if later, they can work on bits of presentation, etc.

7. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I have got the impression ( dont know where) that V&M do a lot of their own interpretation and choreo work. Marina draws the program into a coherent piece of work. I think this could be why they dont want to leave her she allows them the freedom to forge their own destiny. To me that is the reason why their programs are so innovative compared to "they who shall not be named" . They dont need to be pushed but are constantly pushing themselves.

Maybe one of our VM historians ( Iggie or Cherub) has already catalogued the growth of the Vm twizzle compared to others in the field. I know I saw something recently on this but maybe not covering the whole gamut of their work. If it did forgive me .... I now have the excuse of old age.
    Given that working with Jean Marc and Jennifer would come before Marina. it also gives them a chance to develop the programs in relative privacy.

Since we know they go home on weekends it is quite likely that they work with Jennifer both in studio and on ice.

8. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Just got through it. Nothing really that interesting. At one point he basically asks how it's possible to coach both V&M and D&W (paraphrasing here but that's what they were tiptoeing around). You can tell by the tone of her answer she is bored(irritated) of this question and in a nutshell compares it to a parent having more than one child. That they have different talents and she brings out the best of their individual talents. That it's about the joy of skating and with the joy will come rewards.

Frankly find it all a bit pollyanna because both can skate the joy out of their programs and only one will see the rewards. ;) With that approach it's never her fault if something fails but rather the students.

It's interesting to hear the guy asking her questions because he still sounds like a student talking to his coach. PJ also seems to have drank the Marina kool-aid ;)

Most of it was about her life as a skater and coach. I found it a bit hard to follow unfortunately because she still has a very very strong halting monotone accent and the interview is long so I tended to drift. Not a diss in any way, I'm usually good at understanding different accents speaking english. Just an explanation for not really picking up much or giving a good transcript of what she says.

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you, bmcg! I have impression, I know everything about Zoueva career. And I think she is happy coach, because she could say she don't care about results

10. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I know this shows my extreme age, but I would love it if their SD music included some Scott Joplin. I would think his music would fit in beautifully with Finn step. :)

11. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Didn't Bourne and Kraatz dance to Scott Joplin too?

eta: Nm it was Tracey and Rob http://youtu.be/GWO4eG_EwG8

12. lola10

lola10 New Member

Thank you so much, the pictures are great. In particular, the one from the World Champion number, how does Tessa hold herself up there and is still able to smile! Great!

13. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

14. lola10

lola10 New Member

Elena Ilinykh is probably a fan since the first minute, these photo are just so cute!

And Shayii, where is the quote from Elena coming from?

15. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Wow. Those pictures really remind one how young Elena is.

16. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Hi, it's from Cherub's 28 page quotes book she put together for V/M. I asked for her permission to use it because I plan on changing my sig to a new quote every month as we wind down to Sochi! (There's so many I might do it every two weeks). This is the original source.

I was going to do this yesterday, but forgot. I rmr pezazz saying she was going to the London show. I hope you had a great time!

17. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

so I went to my first stars on ice show in london and i loved it. I took a friend who knew nothing about figure skating and she is now obsessed. I recommend on ice seats for anybody who can go because they are amazing. Jeffery buttle shook my hand! I thought the show was very clean in comparison to what happened at the hamilton taping show. just to add to meyers commentary, scott appeared to be in charge of the lifts in the championship number. He was the one telling them when to switch and always seems to be watching tessa or at least aware of her in all the group numbers. Jen swan was at the show too. BTW thanks to all who post SOI videos, i now appreciate the effort it takes to tape and watch at the same time :). my friend took some videos and i will post soon.
    *thanks shayii, I had a great time :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  18. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

i used to tell people when i quote them on the blog, but after a while, it didn't seem like people cared that much. but you're welcome.

19. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thank you. And I'm anxious to see the footage your friend got. In the pic meyers posted, it looked like Scott was concentrating the hardest (probably not the best way to describe it, but I couldn't think of another way) because his full attention and focus was on Tessa. He probably felt the most responsible as she's his partner and his was doing the bulk of the lifting--holding her thighs.

20. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

21. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

Yes, they truly have amazing connection. It was interesting because in their stay number, Scott missed a step in the choreography that was apparent probably only to me because I was so focused on them and then he winks at Tessa immediately after. They say they always talk throughout their routines and although the talking was not as apparent in stay, it was in Carmen. And just to comment on Carmen, I thought it was very good in exhibition form and what Meyers was saying about how they took a moment after bowing was very apparent and you could sense them taking in the moment. What else...to talk about other skaters, I thought joannie And Jeff's duo routine was pretty random but they seemed to be having fun. Ashley is a very clean performer that is all about nuances and finishing all her moves, its exquisite to watch. Megan and Eric were good and holy is Megan's back jacked lol. Shawn Sawyer is an amazing performer and absolutely loved both his performances. Kurt was amazing in how effortless he was. Patrick and Jeff were great to watch as well.

22. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

just re-read your beautifully rendered account of your meeting with Tessa and Scott, iggie. Your writing is so vivid and textured. Like Shayii said, I felt like I was there with you. Thank you for making us all a part of this wonderful experience:)

And the story about the rice was really lovely. They are so sweet to each other.

Also, i love that quote from sequins. Sums it up perfectly.

I would love that too!

And thanks for the photos, Dani! I always love your pics, and these are just gorgeous.

Glad you enjoyed the show, PEZazzzz, and thank you so much for your review!

And thx for the link, clarie. Love that number:)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  23. parapluies

I just want to know can someone dance the finnstep to Edith Piaf?

24. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I believe that Piaf's "Milord" is in 2/4 time, as is the Finnstep, so it could be used, if it is played at a tempo of Music 52 measures of 2 beats per minute. I would not be at all surprised to see P&B using it.

25. parapluies

I have a funny feeling they won't be the only ones to use it or other Edith Piaf songs (like Il ne se passe jamais rien but I am not sure if it has the same tempo of the finnstep it feels more like a foxtrot). I hope Tessa and Scott use french music since they are working with Jean Marc. :D

26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I am sure P-B will not use french muisc two time in row.
    Someone from Shpilband or Zoueva skaters could do this. because Chock-Zuerlain use Piaf music for "Golden waltz"

27. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

pani, I was thinking about that, but this is for the Olympics, and teams often seem to pick themes that are strongly associated either with their lives or their countries, so P&B might do French music again.

No one complains when Russian teams do music from Russian composers and Russian films year after year, after all.

It isn't like P&B used Piaf this year-they used Cancan and Yves Montand.

28. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Interesting comments by Margaglio about the differences between ballroom on the floor and ballroom on the ice, as well as the difficulties of judging "dancing" on ice: http://www.wintersport-news.com/12004,News.html

29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I read this interview before, thank you, sap5.
    This what T-S did with latin. They talked a lot about how to translate hip movements on ice. And they did great job with this dance.
    Now i hope they will try to do the same with Quickstep.

30. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

:) Love V&M's skating.