Virtue and Moir #28 - Something In The Way You Move

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Golightly, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

This was the title, right?

Carry on, everyone! To those going to Stars on Ice, have lots of fun and please bring your reports afterwards ;)

ETA: Thank you, Bournekraatzfan!
  2. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new thread. I was going to bring my old post in here, but the old thread is already locked. Anyways that article got me thinking about Worlds and how upset I still am about everything that went down. I haven't been able to watch the SD again since then. Hopefully reports from SOI tomorrow will make up for that just a bit.

ETA: Everytime I watch the previous versions of Carmen I'm always waiting for the roar, but then it never happens and I get disappointed even tho I know it doesn't happen lol.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  3. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Yes, looking forward to reports from SOI. Maybe some photos too? Please?
  4. pani

pani Well-Known Member

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

7. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Tessa and Jeff :swoon: I can't wait to see that photoshoot!
  8. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

no problem Golightly:) thank you for starting the new thread and thank you jl22aries for providing us with an awesome name!

Yes, have fun at the show, ceg15 and everyone else attending! I am sure you will have a wonderful time! For those looking to buy tickets, please be aware that CAA members receive a 25% discount on the cost of admission (thank you Gr8sk8:))

Thanks for the links, Sylvia!
  9. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Good for them.
    Thank you. I wish Scott had been part of the photoshoot lol.
  10. pani

pani Well-Known Member

11. parapluies

Maybe they made a separate photoshoot for T/S?
  12. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

13. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thanks pezazz. Wow that pic of the guys holding Tessa up in the split position is incredible! Please don't drop Tessa! For that particular number they're skating to Wonders by the Naughty Boy & Emeli Sandé: http://www.starsonice.ca/news-apr19-2013.php
  14. Bournekraatzfan

Thank you both! Great lift! I can't wait to see the show! Soooo happy Sinead and John are doing the Canadian tour this year--love them! I saw John Kerr talking to fans at the arena at skate canada 2010 and he is an absolute sweetheart! so down to earth and took a real interest in the people he was talking to. (didn't get to see Sinead as she unfortunately was injured:(). I wanted to say hi but i froze and just stared at him, lol.
  15. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

yes so am I!, I emxcited for Joannie and Jeff's duo as well :)
  16. parapluies

17. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

18. ceg15

ceg15 New Member

I just got back!! I will post a review now :)
  19. ceg15

ceg15 New Member

Ok, so I'm just going to comment on Tessa and Scott's solo performances and the group ones they were in...and then overall impressions I guess.

So the Opening number was good...T&S were in it...I wasn't too close to the ice, but love how I can tell it's them from far away just because of their skating :)

They did "Stay" during Part 1... I was sooo excited to see this once I heard they would be skating to it. As for costumes, because I know you're all curious... Tessa wore a nice brighter pink dress I have never seen before so must be new, and Scott wear a grey muscle shirt!! It looked good!! Very contemporary but I loved it and it had their usual touches. They start laying on the ice...then she lays on top of him at one point...I was dying haha. Anyways, such a good program and lots of modern dance movement! There is even a new lift...Tessa leans backward doing the splits with Scott holding one leg... and they also do the temptation lift. There is a part where they do the move from Carmen going into the circular step sequence when Tessa like rests her head on Scott's forearm, if you know the part I mean. They also end with Tessa laying on her side on the ice and Scott sitting up next to her kinda hugging his knees and contemplating. Very intense and emotional program, loved it.

World Champion number: Kurt, Patrick, Jeff, Scott, Tessa... Tessa being the only girl is obviously the star of this...and that is where the pic Sinead posted of her doing the splits came in... they kinda skate around the perimeter of the ice with Tessa switching positions while they hold her up...really cool.

Intermission: They come out and do the Lindt talk...it's cute even though it's rehearsed...

Part 2 - Carmen: Oh god they are so good. Their edges are to die for. I hadn't seen them live since November 2011 (TEB 2011), so I had forgotten how their quality of skating is even more evident in person. SO, Tessa wore a black one piece unitard (so good), and Scott wore his usual Carmen outfit. They didn't do the twizzles, and in it's place they do the Tessa standing on his legs while he holds her arms lift (the one that used to be at the end of Carmen that they took out). It was modified but pretty similar...they just took out the twizzles and circular step sequence.

Closing number: Tessa and Scott get their own special entrance and do the Goose :) while both holding umbrellas...impressive. Then the number centers around them a bit and they do a slow dance thing while the others skate in a circle around them...

Overall: Amazing show. Tessa, as usual, shone in the group numbers with her superb dancing skills... also, in one of the group ones (Come Together), Scott was wearing leather and looked damn good. Kurt's choreography is out of this world and the show is really well done. The 2nd part is definitely more lively than the first part though.

-A. Wagner: Her musicality is amazing. I love her style of skating. She has two great show programs.
    -S. Sawyer: Entertaining as usual, but I feel like the backflips are starting to get old. Props to him though for trying out new styles of programs and being creative.
    -P. Chan: I feel like he's still growing into his "show" skin, but he did great.
    -K. Browning: Huge standing ovation for "Singing in the Rain". He is one of a kind and so loved.
    -J. Buttle: What a guy. His programs were just ok for me this year...but good none the less
    -The Kerrs: Doing a scottish routine in Nova Scotia was such a good idea :) Crowd loved it, they are so fun to watch.
    -J. Rochette: Her second circus-esque number is so good!! Better than her first one to "Crime"
    -Meagan and Eric: Wow, good for them. They skated to a "True Colors" remix and are definitely crowd pleasers. So happy for them and their success.

But of course Tessa and Scott were the best of the night for me... Both looked happy and Tessa didn't seem to be holding back at all, which I was kinda looking for as I always worry/wonder about her legs. So things are looking good! Virtue and Moir looking happy and healthy :)

Oh and I wouldn't be surprised if Jean Marc Genereux worked on the "Stay" program with them... has "So You Think You Can Dance" written all over it I think...

Sorry for rambling a bit! I hope you all enjoy getting the details :) haha
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  20. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Woohoo! I was hoping you would post a review tonight.

ETA: Looks like you posted it about a minute before I made this post. Going off to read it now. Thank you so much.

A pause in-between reading just to comment on this:
    Seriously? I must see this now!!!
  21. Bournekraatzfan

Thank you sooooooo much for your detailed review, ceg15! I am so glad you enjoyed yourself at the show! And i really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us:)
  22. ceg15

ceg15 New Member

You're welcome!! I'm happy to share with people who share my love for them hahaha :)

And yes... I was hoping it would last longer (god help me haha), but yeah she kind of rolls on top of him and then rolls off...!!
  23. ceg15

ceg15 New Member

You're very welcome! I may remember a few details tomorrow and if so I'll post them :)

I really think you are all going to like the "Stay" program... it's funny because I think just the other day someone said they were hoping Tessa would wear pink and/or grey...
  24. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I just finished your review, thanks for writing a detailed one! And I'm glad you had a great time. Tessa said Marina and Jennifer Swan created the Stay program and I think Jean Marc is doing their SD?
  25. Bournekraatzfan

Oh, please do if you have the chance. And thank you again. Your review was a lot of fun to read:)
  26. ceg15

ceg15 New Member

No problem at all :) I will try and think of more details tomorrow if possible haha. And yeah I remember reading that too... maybe just the costumes made me think Jean Marc Genereaux might have had a little bit of input. There's more side by side modern stuff like in Carmen in it... it went by so fast, I wish it was longer because I don't think they use the whole song. And when I say emotional...it's not emotional like Hallelujah.. it's more angst emotional... if that makes sense...it's hard to describe I guess.

I was also glad that Tessa wore the one-piece black body suit for Carmen...I have a feeling she likes wearing those. Lots of hoots and hollers during the 'crotch grab' at the beginning haha
  27. ceg15

ceg15 New Member

Thank you Bournekraatzfan, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! Again, no problem at all :)
  28. parapluies

OMG that sounds so good! I can't wait untill videos and pictures show up! I am SO excited!
  29. Bournekraatzfan

Thank you for the additional details, ceg15! This show sounds fantastic!

Are people here planning to do meet-ups?
  30. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Awesome review ceg15. Thanks.
  31. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

32. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Love that pic. I have it as my desktop background.
  33. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you, ceg15!
    Look, like you had good time :)
    Now i cant wait to see "Stay", you intrigued me ;)
    And as for "Carmen". Did audience love "Carmen"?
    And for me Canadian version of SOI is best from all. Maybe just they need to add some japanies skaters and V-T or S-S :D
    And i think it will be good if they will add MTM to the cast.
    I think we gett all videos from Halifax last season. Hope the same will happened this time.
  34. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

The frivolous side of me is just dying to see this.:D
    Great review, ceg15.

Lovely CSOI family picture.:cool:
  35. ceg15

ceg15 New Member

I love that picture!! I don't remember that exact moment, but great shot.

Thanks bbkenn!

Pani: The audience did love Carmen, but I don't think they appreciate it as much as they should.. as we know, it seems to be above some people's heads... the lifts were awesome in it and it was very intense as usual. Must be nice for them to perform it without competition stress.

VarBar: opps, I messed up the verb tense there.. *Scott wore a grey muscle shirt. I guess I was getting too excited typing haha. Yes, Scott was to die for (as usual ;)). I'm pretty sure his pants were grey too... and kinda loose... but the muscle shirt or wifebeater or whatever you want to call it was very tight ;). I couldn't see the dress details too well on Tessa's dress, but the top was kinda spaghetti strap style or similar to the top of the Mahler dress, with beading possibly and the bottom was a bit flowy... I think the top and bottom might have been two different tones of pink as well. Very pretty.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  36. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Loved your review Ceg15. I'll know what to look for on Tuesday (rinkside in Kingston :D). That SOI pic sure is awsome and I love the costuming. I didn't get to SOI last year, but was impressed with Kurt's group choreo, so I'm excited for the group numbers as well, and can't wait to see Tessa and Scott and their new "Carmen" and "Stay" :).
  37. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh dear. Now I really want to go see this but the $$$ just isn't there right now. Sucks to be me sometimes. I will wait anxiously for more reports -- and photos and pershaps even video? --as they travel across the country.

Thank you so much Ceg15 for getting your report up so quickly.
  38. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

i hope someone posts video links to all v/m performances in this show! ASAP purdy please ;)

i havent seen their csoi version of Carmen, but something about tessa wearing a bodysuit for Carmen makes the overall performance look/feel more fierce/raw, as evidenced by their run-throughs throughout the season with tessa wearing bodysuits most of the time. i just wish female skaters were allowed to wear bodysuits in competition. just imagine how v/m's Carmen would've looked like all season in competition!
  39. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the so great review, ceg15!

Apparently though this time the group numbers were choreographed by Jeffrey Buttle and Renee Roca, not Kurt (read it in the Canadian Stars on ice thread).
  40. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

Thank you SO much, ceg15 for the report. And, I was the one, who hoped for pink/grey costumes. Maybe I have ability to see the future? :D