Virtue and Moir # 27 - ROAAAAAAAAAAR

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by rainbowkisses, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

Well marina has always said that the programs are made before the athletes leave for vacation and soi is in two weeks so they have had 3 to 4 weeks to work on new programs and maybe some exhibition programs. That's usually the time it takes them to choreograph. It's crazy thinking they're already getting ready and we won't know their programs until September!!!

2. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

I hope V/M choreograph a spin that is different than their Mahler spin but is easy on Tessa's legs.

3. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I think they already went on vacation. Scott said they were taking the week off after worlds then going back to canton to start programs. Then SOI for five weeks. Last year we were so into giving music suggestions, but I think since we know they already have their music nobody gave any suggestions this time lol.

4. pani

pani Well-Known Member

From radio interview i cant understand, when they will take vacations. I mean yes, he said, they took 1 wek agter WCh, but didnt tell when they will have vacations.
    So 1 week untill CSOI? If we will see Scott with tan - they had vacations already :D If no - maybe will have after CSOI.
    And yes, look, like they have music already. Butwhat you want see in exibitions?

5. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Lol I don't know, but I think that week where Tessa was in Toronto was their vacay because didn't they say they'll have a shorter one this year?

As for ex music that I would be so excited if by some miracle they used: ET Katy Perry (lol of course), Kissing You Des'Ree, Sail Awolnation, You and I Lady Gaga, Sexy Love Ne-Yo, Mirrors JT, This Woman's Work Kate Bush. Ok sorry I got carried away.

6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

O, you have a lot off suggestions. :D I think this will be cool, if you will use something from your wish list.

7. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Lol actually I forgot to add one, Lips of an Angel by Hinder. Ok I'm done for reals now lol. I'm not even sure we'll see a new ex tho, but we'll see soon enough.

8. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I am sure they will have at least 1 new ex for CSOI.

9. sequins

sequins New Member

I agree Shayii. This has bugged me ever since I saw this. Since when do they get to dictate what a skater should do? I can understand suggestions to improve but this feels like its going beyond. I keep hearing 'the judges told us to do this' (ie. D/W apparently were told what spin to do?) Why don't they just choreograph the programs from now on. Then in V/M case they follow 'orders' and it's like 'Yay well, I know what we said but...not what we had in mind, oh well just forget it' So basically I'm gathering from all this is anytime a skater tries something new/different the judges don't wanna see it, even if it's good. It's just 'do it this way' rather then trying to encourage them to improve or grow. Screw them.

10. pani

pani Well-Known Member

But look at WCh judges asked them to do Mahler? I have impression from Scott words - they will njt made this, even if this is what people in FS community want from them.

11. sequins

sequins New Member

I know pani but the more I think about it the more it enrages me. This is just above and beyond what a sport should be imo. You know what? Let the skaters skate and judge it. Don't tell them what programs, spins, elements to do, beforehand. Do they do it for all skaters? Not likely so do it for no one. Let the skaters figure it out and just do your damn job. That is suppose to be what the 'new' scoring system is for, so you can see where you need to improve and figure it out? Yourselves. It all just sounds so shady(big surprise).

12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Honestly i an nore sure they will tell something to Marina. I cant imaging they tell her to do such FD for D-W.
    But from other hand, i know for sure, Tessas dress for SD was criticized by members of the ISU at GPF. So maybe this how this sport work.
    Funny, just saw advertisement of the TV show about a beauty contest. It was said all results is known before competition was started. Now i fell, like the same going on in FS.

13. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

The blue one? How do you know this?

14. tinypawsxxoo

tinypawsxxoo New Member

"It’s like they were born to skate with each other. Even when they are walking through brand-new footwork, it looks like they’ve been doing it for years."~ Charlie White
    Wow, that is such a perfect example of the kind of sportsman Charlie White is, to have respect for his competitors is such a hallmark of a champion.

mollymgr and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Yea he seems like a great guy.

And thank you Pani.

16. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

This comment was made before 2010 olys. Would be interesting to hear what he is saying now :)

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

You know, guys, I felt a little scary. It must be so hard to choose your last competitive programs. It must be huge pressure - how to made right choice?
    And how to made strong SD? Ginger and Fred could be great, but we saw Fred in FF.

18. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Oh god the last Virtue/Moir SD and FD :(. I can't think about this right now. Anyways I'm just hoping to god Marina has chosen something that will do them justice. Honestly I can't even imagine what direction they're going in because Scott's quote is throwing me off. And for the SD I have no idea.

19. Fort

Fort New Member

I was thinking about this as well. The SD is a given, generally speaking. Because of the Finnstep, it will be at least in part, peppy, energetic, but elegant. It will exude an days-gone-by feeling. What they choose to go with it, within the boundries given, will determine the rest, but given VM's brief history with SDs, they will try and keep it as a whole. That is, although they were ones who mixed tango with Golden Waltz, and waltz with Yankee Polka, their music choices at the very least gave their programs a sense of continuity. The music was similar in tone, rather than a jarring change. I'm guessing that they'll go with foxtrot to mix in with the quickstep (though I think I'd enjoy a Charleston just for the clothes).

But, I think they like to go for contrasts in theme/feeling between programs. Their tango/Goldenwaltz was a little cheeky, but mostly, it was elegant. Their Latin was steamy. Their latin SD, well, it was steamy too. But their FF was a lighthearted character piece. Their waltz/Yankee polka, despite the changes in tone through the season, remained elegant, again. Carmen was raw.

So if we've got an elegant, upbeat SD... um, Carmen again for the FD? LOL. But really, I think they'll stay away from an elegant theme. And VM tend to choose a decisive dance style to go with their music (shocking, I know, in ice dance!). I think we can rule out anything that would be seen in the SD (foxtrot, quickstep, swing, Charleston), waltz, Latin, and modern (just because they've done them most obviously and recently), no jive (too closely related in bouncy steps to the CD of this SD).

Ballet? (elegant, yes, but not in the way that was in my head writing the above! And while we would swoon, a real excuse to take notice of their lines, extension, pointed toes and choreographed fingertips)
    Tango? (Which they've done recently but not full-out in quite a number of years and only then by requirement in compulsory or OD).
    Jazz? (Maybe too close, in some minds, to modern, but still something different for them.)
    Hip hop? (I hope not, LOL.)
    Lyrical? (Hoping not, as there would be too many Mahler comparisons and accusations of skating yet again to romantic stuff -- though that always happens -- in an Olympic year.)

I know, the music is already chosen! But while I can't suggest, I can speculate. :)

20. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I completely agree. With all this interference it's no wonder Tessa seems less confident. And no wonder Scott has visibly shown his frustration with the marks. We probably only see the tip of the iceberg of what they have to put up with. It does make a fan wonder.

21. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

On this topic, I strongly suggest reading the blog by she who shall not be named (I'm going along with iggie's naming here :) ) She makes a very good point on this topic.
    http://dubemoir.blogspot.ca/
    Honestly in all my experience with other sports and judged sports, I have never seen this level of interaction between the judges and the coaches and in extension the skaters.

22. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

A lot of people seem to think they will definitely do ballet and that makes the most sense to me too. What you just said, blueglass is making me think more about Scott's quote from Worlds about how they will not go back to the old V/M that everyone wants either. Who is "everyone?" Who are these people telling them to do another Mahler?

ETA: Honestly what kind of sport tells its athletes what to wear based on just aesthetic reasons. It makes you wonder.

23. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

24. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

LOL, I didn't know what you were talking about but I finally got around to watching the gala from Worlds and I see what you mean. Anyway, D and W should not do programs like this. It highlights even more that they have no chemistry.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  25. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Getting back to the topic of Virtue and Moir leaving Marina, I really wish they would but it's not going to happen with only one more year left. I don't believe Marina is working in their best interest and who knows what she is saying behind the scenes. I heard in London before the ice dance event even started that Virtue and Moir would not win worlds because the American federation was extremely powerful, politically, in ice dance ring now. Really working OT to politic for Davis and White. I can only assume that Marina is part of this as well. So I wonder for 2014, what's the point? Perhaps V&M would like to try to become two time Olympic gold medalist if they win the team event.

26. volunteer

volunteer Member

In the last few weeks, I've been reading all these posts, watching the gifs and breakdown of both programs. It's so disheartening that the scurrying and hopping at top speed is what is being rewarded. I just re-watched the gala performance of DW and VM, here you have the exact same genre of programs, costumes, etc which highlights all of VM's strengths and DW's weaknesses. Do you think the costuming copying was a deliberate decision?
    Iggie, I really enjoyed your blog, you've so captured all the emotional highs and lows we've gone through this season.

27. volunteer

volunteer Member

Yes. Truly. Wow.

28. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Canadian judges or international judges?

29. volunteer

volunteer Member

And based on the shafting VM got score-wise at Canadians, Skate Canada seems to be buying into the American federation politics.

30. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I don't know about the costume copying, but I think the genre and choreography of Davis and White's program was deliberately chosen to try and show that they are as good at this style as Virtue and Moir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.