Virtue and Moir # 27 - ROAAAAAAAAAAR

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by rainbowkisses, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sequins

sequins Active Member

:lol:I have tears, too funny.:lol:

2. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

No I prefer to read on fanforum (it gets a little crazy there sometimes ;) ). I think Finlandia is perfect and with the olympics earlier in the season than worlds, they probably want their levels checked early. And they get the last shot at GPF this year!. Hopefully they get one early and one late GP competition because that seems best for those who want to win (ahem D/W)

3. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

i hope someone can post translations of the commentator's comments ;)

4. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

He is literally complimenting them on every single step lol. He's like amazing, impressive, so so difficult, and when scott said :now step, he's like, he's talking to her, sublime excellent, every moment they're intense, fierce. As they're approaching the last set of lifts, he sounds like he's commentating for a soccer match, he's literally like she's up!, yes! very very good, and amazing performance! Remarkable, they danced like champions! They were able to overcome the tension and pressure and be brilliant like always. At the beginning, he talks about the particular character they bring to the dance, the form of the movements, the quality of the expression, he goes on... It's really quite entertaining.

ETA: P/B and B/S out of world team trophy...So W/P for the win? I seriously hope Team Canada is a little more cheery this time around.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  5. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Really? :lol: wow I find it funny that a majority of the top skaters are skipping WTT.

6. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

I imagine it's a pain to train even after your season is up, especially going into an olympic year. But I like the concept of WTT

7. volunteer

volunteer Member

While it's true that we are not comparing the same lift, why is it hard to find any photos of Meryl looking polished in the majority of their lifts? These photos and others aren't doctored, they represent the actual mediocre positions and unfinished limb extension (except of course for the ballet hand positions as someone pointed out earlier).

8. volunteer

volunteer Member

The commentator is Alain Goldberg, he's been commentating figure skating on SRC for ages.

9. blueglass

blueglass New Member

That's a remarkable comparison of positions. So why don't V&M get significantly higher GOEs on these than D&W? The latter look quite messy which is surprising, at least to me. If the judges saw these photo comparisons, it would help to educate them on what the + side of GOE should look like. I'd love to hear what Blumberg and Wynne would have to say about them.

10. sequins

sequins Active Member

Thing is why do the judges need to be educated in this? Aren't they suppose to know this? See this? Isn't this their job? After all they determine the winners and the fate of skaters lives/careers. sigh.

I imagine Blumberg at least would say 'oh well it's just a picture, you should see how fast they skate. I don't like Scott Moir'

11. iNap

iNap Active Member

You wish Judy say this. And you can dream wonderful dream :lol:

Why don't you all apply for judge then? what is stopping you greate experts? :rofl:

12. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I didn't say that it looks wonderful. Seems like it's either black or white for you. If I am defending Meryl and Charlie just a bit, it doesn't mean that I think they're ideal and wonderful in everything. I so dislike people twisting or deliberately misunderstanding other's words. You should at least read more carefully - meaning, read what is actually written, not try to see something that is not there.

Really, most of their lifts are different from Tessa and Scott's lifts, so it's difficult to compare. Leg positions? Toe point? Yes, of course, Tessa is better in that, but, unfortunately, it seems like such thing are not emphasized enough in the rules for judges to think much about it. Meryl and Charlie's lifts move fast, Meryl usually gets into positions easily and quickly, and gets out of the lifts quite easily too. And it's not like all of their lifts are essentially easy (I don't think that their second FD lift is easy, I think it's quite difficult to change those positions quickly an smoothly, and the first "split" lift is not easy either - imagine yourself trying to stand like that even with someone holding your leg like Charlie is holding Meryl's leg). Obviously judges pay attention only to that. I am not saying that Tessa and Scott's lifts don't have all of that. But their more polished positions don't give them the advantage that they should have, and in the judge's mind Tessa/Scott and Meryl/Charlie are obviously pretty much equal when it comes to lifts.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  13. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

14. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Iggie!! You are brilliant! I just read the first post in the Carmen series and what can I say except that it's amazing. Thanks for doing this! I've only just read the first post and I can't wait to read the rest once I get home. Like you I would like to know how/why the narrative changed from everybody's initial reaction to Carmen. Maybe we'll never get that answer, but at least we're asking.

http://compulsorydances.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-debut-of-carmen.html?m=1

15. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you! I wish T-S will read your blog, iggie :)Just to know how how deep analysis of there programs you did.

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you for link, guys!
    I wish to know, what this commentator said about other teams perfomances. He is so passionate.Look like he love his job a lot. :D
    Funny, they had the same reaction on twizzles and last lift with Tkachenko and russian commentator.
    I like that in this interwies they siad (Scott said) about how strong this FD is and how innovative it is. This is truth.
    And Tessa is so beautifull. She shines :)
    I feel said, that was last Carmen perfomance in competitions too, Scott :) Maybe they could use it for next season? :D

18. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Do you have a youtube link with Tkachenko's commentary? If yes could you post it with a recap of what he said?

I'm still working on collecting quotes about V&M, to be unveiled soon. :)

I took up most of your suggestions, but one thing I couldn't find was quotes from Yu-Na Kim. I did read on the "skaters favorite skaters" thread that V&M are her faves, but does anyone have a source?

Also, I don't think they have, but have T&D ever commented about V&M? I know a lot of people have compared them to T&D so you would think someone somewhere had asked T&D about it.

19. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Holy Mother of Dragons, iggie! That was brilliant. So brilliant I got goosebumps remembering my first reaction to the program. Sigh. I relived it with you as if it just happened. Nothing can take that away from us, that initial reaction when we knew, we just knew that what we were seeing was something truly special. I wish I could write and be as eloquent as you are and capture that moment as well as you did on print. Thank you and I can't wait to read the next entry!

I feel the team should read this, by the way. It is just so beautiful. Everyone involved in the creation of Carmen should read it.

20. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

This. Couldn't have said it better.

Thank you iggie.

21. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Somewhere, there is a video with Christopher Dean talking in glowing terms about V/M. I'll track it down for you later today. :)

What she said. Thank you, Iggie, for your beautiful words and preserving the feelings of that moment in time for us. You literally moved me to tears.

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Found only FD. SD i have only on my DVD.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqjIht2dTLc

As for Tkachenko, he didnt said too much. He said after twizzles - how well was done.
    Then commentator said a lot off words:

Masterpiece, nothing to say. Like waiting for that lift,. but still enjoy. Fantastic! It stratosphere.
    Then commentators said, they they need to get too much points, but maybe they could do this. Tkachenko said - native walls should help them. Commentator (Grishin) start talking about Chans gold and that was a lot off conversations, but in this case nothing to talk about. Tkachenko said - yes, magnificently (when combination lift was shows). Then commentator said, that even if we saw great skating from W-P and C-B, but this was nothing to compare. And Tkachenko said - i even didnt remember all, what was before this FD.
    They also talked about that rotational lift and Tkachenko said, how difficult to made something like this.

And on russian Eurosport Alexandr Boychuk (he was skating with Svetlana Alexeeva http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svetlana_Alexeeva) after SD said - there is V-M and all the others.

23. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Well iggie, not only was that article well thought out and well done but it made me want to read your other articles. So I did. You've done a great job on all your stories and are bang on in what you say. Amazing how the judges just somehow didn't see what so many of us have seen this season. Perhaps blinded by the speed and hair of others ;)

24. sequins

sequins Active Member

Way to go iggie! Brilliant as always. Someone should hire you to report on figure skating I swear. You have more insight, knowledge and common sense in that one article than I have read in years. It's like they don't even try. You on the other hand rock as always! It still bugs me, and that article reminds me about how underappreciatd Carmen was especially after all the anticipation, excitement and praise and then the judges, SC,whoever have to go and rain on the parade. Why? Because it's a little sexy? Ooooh never seen that before. :rolleyes:

25. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

How true this is.
    They are THE skaters of their generation. It must be frustrating that they dont win everything in sight but it must also be heartwarming that they know in their hearts ( and in ours) who they are and what they are capable of.

Great art is not always appreciated and so many people fall for the picture perfect but unsatisfying performance.

Thanks Iggie - as usual well done!

26. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

This just makes what happened at Worlds even more :eek:

27. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Haha, Dani forever!! Though I was kinda bored with the season premiere. Ok back on topic, I agree with all this. And the rest of the series is great too.

28. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

YES. Great work, Iggie!

29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Could we send tis to Swan? Or this is bad idea?

30. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a bad idea, but iggie must give her permission first. I just think anyone who took part on the creation of this program should read that, if only to read what it meant to us when we saw it for the first time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.