Virtue and Moir # 26- There's no place like home

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It didn't look that bad on the feed... more like a bit out of sync and then they got it back.
  2. Bue

Bue New Member

Well to find the silver lining for myself, at least I can watch the FD live now, knowing it's over. If it were close I would have been way too nervous... :shuffle:
  3. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

The point difference is 3.25. I think we know what that means. It isn't going to happen for them this year. Stings for this to happen at home but I´m just hoping now that they know where they stand (or won't stand) it means they can relax and give us all a Carmen to be proud of.

Bit of a downer here tonight but not much you can do at this point :(
  4. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Well Carmen hasn't beaten Notre Dame this season.
    It didn't to me either, but if that's what it looked like live then…
  5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

del
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It's a big deal because it will affect their strategy for next year (if they don't retire). If they had a nice cushion from the transitions and choreo from Carmen then they'd be more willing to risk a difficult program.
  7. liv

liv Well-Known Member

it wasn't a disaster. The first set of twizzles had Tessa out of sync with Scott. She had troubles, but she got it back for the 2nd and 3rd sets. The rest of hte program was lovely. It wasn't overly bad, just enough to notice and when D/W skated so cleanly, any little mistake by V/M was going to be pounced upon by the judges.

My favourite program of hte night had to be Weaver/Poje. They brought it, even if their levels weren't up to the top.
  8. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

:( I'm sorry Pani. I feel pretty bad right now too. Not really for me, but for Tessa and Scott they must be so gutted.
  9. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

But that's the thing, aside from the first twizzle sequence it was a brilliant skate. The step sequence baffles me!! I expected a 75 because there was that mistake. Scoring error? it's as if the judges scored D/W high because they expected V/M to be better
  10. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

I like your perspective on this. I feel the same way. I just want them to feel freedom and joy on the ice. They are one of the great teams, and no result will ever change that.
  11. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

walei, sorry, not agreeing that D/W's SD is better choreographed and I don't think they skated it perfectly either. Fast, hell yes. But that's the norm for them. Many of their fast moves were never finished, their lines were off at times but they do sell it. However, it does not.a.thing.for.me. I realize that the judges love them, but they have been getting the benefit of the doubt when they make mistakes for the past few years as in no fricken deductions at all. V/M however, have to be absolutely perfect and even then the judges find a reason to mark them down. I mean in what bizarre universe are D/W ever better in PCS than V/M. I can tell you that it certainly isn't that way in mine.

That being said, I'm off to get another glass of wine. Yeah, maybe I should get some cheese to go with it. I'm am ticked.

Oh yeah, one last thing -- how are some people finding the protocols/levels already?
  12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Got home and I just watched it on TV. Yeah, the twizzles were clearly off and Scott slid on his twizzle at the end of straight-line. Clear errors. The PCS don't indicate that they're being written off by the judges.

Reports all week have indicated some type of errors on the twizzles--don't know what that's all about.

That said, their end worked for me finally.

Oh well, looking forward to a brilliant free dance by V&M!
  13. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

It's prob my emotions right now. I love them so much and I don't want them to retire, but maybe that would be best than them getting embarrassed like this. I just saw a pic on twitter and it just made me even more upset.
  14. professordeb

pani, if D/W ubers invade this space and try to rub our noses into the mess that are the SD results, I will tell them, in very impolite language, to vacate the premises. That's a promise you can take to the bank. I've had it up to HERE with that garbage. I don't invade THEIR threads that way and I'm not going to put up with it in here either.

Yeah, I'm still ticked. I really need that glass of wine.
  15. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

professordeb,

I'm watching on cbc and Debbie (and most commentators) see the levels when the scores are being tabulated. Debbie first mentioned the twizzles and that they would lose a level. She then said a review had been called for the step sequence and it went from a 4 to a 3.Any bets as to who called for the review ;)
  16. professordeb

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that call for a review was likely from an American who doesn't like V/M and has said so publicly.
  17. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Well I guess what I'm trying to say is, a seemingly perfect skate with all level 4's from D/W only gets about 0.5 higher in PCS than a botched effort from V/M (for their standards). I know PCS should be scored separately from TES but somehow I was expecting a bigger PCS gap based on judges' love towards D/W for whatever reasons I can't understand this season. I know it's a long shot now and D/W will have to make mistakes in the FD for V/M to have a chance to defend their title. But weirder things have happened in figure skating...
  18. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Judy Blumberg. I can't stand her!
  19. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

((((professordeb))))
    I'm so sad that they didn't skate to their full potential.

There's not much we can really do with the judge's interpretation of PCS, so I try my best not to get ticked off.

I'll join you with a glass of wine...white or red?
  20. volunteer

volunteer Member

Profdeb- totally agree with you - I don't understand why VM have to be ultra perfect and DW don't.
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Annizerat

Annizerat New Member

Who is the choreographer of the short dance? Zueva?
  22. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

theres so much politking in this year's worlds i cant
    d/w scores are so inflated
    so is patrick chan (i dont understand how their performance are record breaking performance)
    and now b/s are above p/b
    and how the hell is katelyn osmond fourth

wtf is happening omg
  23. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

24. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

honestly i thought they could be faster
    they look like they were struggling in the step sequence
  25. iggie

iggie New Member

26. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

27. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

white. im allergic to red ;)
  28. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Did you see them cover their ears so they could not hear D/W's scores? Maybe they did that for some other scores as well, but I'd think at their level they would not need to do that. I feel bad for Tessa. Great performance but her legs have to be asking for some relief at this point.
  29. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

30. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

I thought the fight was over long before V/M stepped on ice. Just look at D/W's score. They didn't skate their best, yet were rewarded a world record score. Somehow whatever D/W did are golden. I don't understand this, and don't want to. For me V/M have always been the obvious superior, they personalize grace on ice, have undeniable chemistry and bring innovation into ice dance. A piece of medal won't change anything. They are already OGM for Christ's sake. So everyone cheer up and just enjoy the best Carman comming up.
  31. Bue

Bue New Member

Hmm. I've just watched it on Eurosport in high definition twice. The only obvious issue was the twizzles, but I don't know, the whole thing did seem to fall a little flat. However I'm seeing plenty of comments over on GS (I know, why do I go there?) that B/S should actually have beaten them. I mean, come on, what the actual f*** is that about? :rolleyes:

The most amusing aspect of the Eurosport broadcast was that the clueless one still thinks they have a shot. I'm afraid Scott's look said different. I just want to hug them.
  32. professordeb

I am on my 3rd small glass of white. I had two dry ones and my third was supposed to be a peach wine -- but it isn't. Yet another thing going wrong this evening.

OK, looking at the protocols cause I'm a numbers geek.
    V/M got level 4 on both their YP -- first time this season. Yipeeee
    That means that V/M got one more mark on the YP overall since D/W got a level 3 on one of theirs. Both got GOE of 1.0

Lost marks on
    STw -- lost 1 mark on the base and .93 on GOE for that element
    NtMiSt3 compared to NtCiSt4 -- lost 1.5 in the base and .29 in GOE for that element
    SO, V/M started with a lower base level by .5, got lower GOE by 1.22 and hosed on the PCS. Yeah, the judges were just as harsh on V/M as the caller. I'm looking at the GOE for D/W, nothing lower than 2 on anything by any judge. V/M, OTOH, have a couple of 0 for GOE on their STw, quite a few 1's, lots of 2 and the only love of 3 came on their RoLi.

The PCS -- there's a joke! and has been for the past few years. Sorry, D/W don't have better SS than V/M -- faster, yes; better, no.
  33. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Just want to stick up for sap5. I think sap5 is always very good at being respectful of the fact that this is the V&M thread. Please do not lump them in with the trolls.
  34. volunteer

volunteer Member

The performance was not the disaster that I was expecting - I don't care what angle you're at, the talk of Scott wiping out Tessa on the twizzles is pure exaggeration. About the comments on GS - they've been bashing Canadian skaters for a long time and at every opportunity - if you're going to go read, you'd better have a thick skin.
    Carmen is going to be such a joy to watch. I'd rather watch ice dancing over speed skating any day.
  35. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Can you just leave them alone and not spread rumors. I believe you're the same person that said Scott was too controlling of Tessa?
    maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.
  36. pani

pani Well-Known Member

del
  37. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned here - I'm too drained to read everyone's posts - but Tessa's face was really tense during the warmup. It made me nervous for them. I do think there's some ongoing issue, but I don't expect we'll hear about it for awhile. Kurt alluded to his at home loss when he said he knows how it feels. Maybe he'll go down and give her a hug.
  38. sequins

sequins New Member

I knew it was over when D/W marks came up. They skated well but I wasn't as 'wowed' with it as I have been earlier in the season. It didn't deserve that score, sorry I don't know what is going on. V/M(I don't know what the person was watching who said Tessa almost 'took out Scott'? Not even close?)well the obvious was the twizzle. Tracy immediately said 'twizzles are off'. You could tell she was like 'damn' They seemed a bit... not shaky but maybe nervous or maybe it was just me but they did not deserve that score. Again I don't know what is going on this season but it's a pile of garbage. These marks are crazy. Anyway the judges got what they wanted, a reason to give D/W the gold without having to 'take it' from V/M and offer up an excuse. V/M lost it and baring disaster there is no coming back. I agree with whoever said that it will affect what program they do next year and that's a damn shame. Carmen is epic and I hope they perform the crap out of it because years from now that is the program people will look back on and remember. Anyway with all of the great Canadian performances so far I knew something had to happen to someone eventually.

Anyway W/P, so proud of them! ...Yes I'm still proud of V/M too!
  39. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

I agree with you!
  40. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I hate to say it but I won't be able to enjoy watching Carmen knowing it's impossible to win. They went and changed the spin, and the footwork, and for what?