Virtue and Moir # 26- There's no place like home

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

:lol: Makes sense now!

2. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

exactly. there is speed and there is power. not the same thing.

3. Bournekraatzfan

I agree, and I love your choice of words;)
    They are one of the greats, and I know that they will be able to push the sport even further next year. I can't wait:)

4. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Well said Mel! And I'm glad to read that they're not planning on going back to just romantic programs.

5. sequins

sequins Active Member

Just trying to catch upon everyone comments. You guys are such a fountain of info. and details I love it thanks. They were so wonderful today it brought tears to my eyes. they knew they couldn't win and they just did it for them and it was beautiful. They have such an amazing connection, so much love and respect for one another it radiates throught the screen it's something you can not fake. I just loved the ROAR! LOL it must be the new title. It shocked me at first but it's awesome. Wish they could've won the FD I thought they deserved it but..Man I am gonna miss them so bad.

Big huge congrats to W/P! Brilliant. I loved both programs. Magic. Thank you for even trying to come back.
    Congrats to B/S I have loved the FD all year, and I haven't enjoyed many I'll tell ya. Not the best performance of the season but well deserved.
    Broken hearted for P/B 6th is just....crushing. I feel for them. I think they thought they had to compete, but I wonder if it would've been wiser to sit it out. Not sure what will happen to them from here but I love them and I wish them well.

6. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

:respec:

ROAAAAAAR was my favorite part!

7. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

On twitter, someone thought it was someone in the audience lol.

8. sequins

sequins Active Member

I'm thrilled too that they aren't gonna go generic. Think they've decided they'd rather change the sport, and have the massive respect worldwide, than play it safe just to win. That's boring and forgettable they wanna do something like Carmen again that will be talked about and remembered for years to come. I gotta respect that. Judges don't get it, oh well they've always been slow to clue in.

9. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

10. Bournekraatzfan

I, too, am so happy they are committed to pushing themselves further. While I imagine they will take a more conservative approach than they did this year, I know they will manage to contribute more to the sport of ice dance. They are a once-in-a-generation team, and I feel so lucky to be a spectator. The purity of their blade is unmatched, and their quality of movement is exquisite. Our Living Legends indeed:)

11. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Please do us all a favor and stop spewing this garbage. The points system is cumulative. Patrick is the only favorite who managed to step up to the plate in the short. It is not his fault that he set himself up with a huge margin for the fs and it is not his fault he managed to do the highest scoring tricks in the long to cushion his score before taking a few falls. Ten had his chance and made mistakes.

This situation is completely different from the crap that was seen in the ice dance. I wonder if the judges even know what they are looking for in the dance event. I really wish they had kept the cd to show just how big some of the dancers are able to skate and the speed they are able to maintain in relation to the size of their tracing. Apparently these judges need some sort of measuring device to remind them of what good skating looks like.

12. rainbowkisses

i thought it was the audience at first as well

13. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

When Igor and Marina ended their partnership, I was secretly wishing that V/M would go to Igor (even though I hate his choreography) when they didn't immediately come out to say they were staying put (unlike the American teams) although deep down I knew that it was not going to happen.

I've said this prevoiusly and I'll say it again...I've always held the belief that the top 2 dance teams in the world should never be coached by the same coaching team. Marina can talk all she wants about giving both teams equal chances, but I don't think it's possible for her to serve both teams' best interests equally. Beyond the programs, what does she say to the judges behind the scene (and we all know they do). She can't exactly say:

1) D/W is not really fast, the choreography incorporates many simpler strokes to get that speed, and the busy choreography was designed to give the appearance of difficulty. Just look at the larger CD patterns of V/M (therefore better power) and if V/M did the same steps as D/W, it would be even faster.
    2) D/W is able to skate more cleanly because their twizzles are always the same, spins the same, lifts the same (or variations that are not radically different in technique),...., they don't really position their cores beyond a very small area
    3) NDDP is in the same vein as POTO

or, on the other hand, make critical remarks of V/M...

Even Igor, in an interview back in 2008, admitted that he does not accept elite, similarly ranked, ice dance teams when approached.

Perhaps V/M knows what works best for them (ie, training in the current environment) and the rest of us are way off-base, but I've lived long enough to know that sometimes when you are too close to a situation, you can't really see things that an outsider can see.

Nonetheless, no matter what they decide, I will always cherish their skating and what they have contributed to the sport. I think they are a once-in-a-generation dance team and I'm so looking forward to seeing them skate for one more year.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

LOL, can't believe I used the exact same adjective as you to describe them (and that was before reading your post).

15. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Isu state that Scott and Tessa were exactly what the cop was being designed for, that they wanted skating like theirs to be the model for the new system when it was under development? This means that being a well rounded skaters should get them bronze next year a la Wilson and McCall circa 1988. Rob McCall is known to be one of the most amazing skaters to have ever step foot on Olympic ice, just as many in this thread believe v/m are the most fabulous skaters to have ever danced their little hearts out for the world to see.

16. sequins

sequins Active Member

The ISU lies

aka_gerbil and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Bournekraatzfan

While I think Charlie has improved artistically this season, I tend to agree with most of what you say. V&M had fewer chances to gain speed in their program due to the difficulty of the transitions. and thank you for mentioning core position. This is so important. Look at how far Tessa and Scott position their limbs, their hips, etc. from their centre axis, and how they adjust their cores accordingly. No one comes close to them in that respect. They immerse themselves completely in the movement, yet maintain complete control over everything they do. It really is astounding.

eta: lol, ddtpdx, I just read your other post. We seem to be on the same wavelength:)

18. Bournekraatzfan

you mean they leis. and I hear they are chain smokers...

19. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I still can't believe Marina gave that interview right after the SD. That one definitely pissed me off.

20. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

I have to say, the "pep talk" Scott gave Tessa right before they went was so cute. I have a big tv and after watching it a couple of times, managed to pick up the words, "Let's do this, me and you, it's just me and you out there. We can do this. Here we go." I just thought that was so, so sweet. We've seen Tessa calm Scott so much, so it's nice to see him offer her so much comfort and wisdom. Whatever kind of love you want to call it, they love each other so much. :)

I also loved the interaction at the end, with two hugs! So sweet. I think they are happy with their performance and are probably celebrating with their families tonight! Or "family" as they've referred to it.

I wonder what their Gala program is? It could be new because SOI is right around the corner!

21. ofdarkness

ofdarkness New Member

I loved that exchange too! Just to add to that, I think he also said "Let's not leave it on the table."

I can't provide a link right now, but the FD press conference is on YouTube, for those who want to search it up.

22. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

Thanks for the contribution! If anyone else is good in lip reading, feel free to add! :)

23. rainbowkisses

yep
    when people remember d/w they're going to remember them as v/m's shadow
    cause everytime they beat v/m, v/m always happens to steal the show away from them :lol:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  24. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

That's awesome! I'm glad he was able to do that for her and was emotionally there for her.

Also not sure they'll have a new EX since they've probably been preparing for Worlds. Do we know yet if they are doing WTT? I think they'll probably go as a way to set up for the team event at the Olympics.

25. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

Oh, also, did anyone else watch CBC and catch that clip of the two of them doing their "handshake"? It was pretty cute! Think they've been doing that since that were very young

26. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Thanks, ofdarkness, for mentioning that the press conference is on Youtube. My hotel's internet connection is really bad and I can't watch any videos right now. I was just going to post here what was said at the conference, but there's no need for that anymore.

I need to watch the video of the performance more closely, since you all are so enthusiastic about it, which makes me very happy. I thought they were very focused and clean and I loved the beginning (I don't get the low GOE for that first lift), but I felt they were getting a bit tired towards the end - the diagonal SS and the rotational lift, especially. I think what I would have loved to see is a little more abandonment, but that program is so insanely difficult, that it's a big challenge to find the balance between keeping your concentration and losing yourself in the performance. I'm glad they were happy with what they did today and it was a relief to see them genuinely smiling at the press conference.
    My concern is the same as yours: the situation in Canton which seems to play against them. During the conference, the subject came up again and, from what Scott said, it seems they have no plan to change anything. They insist that it's in their best interest to train with their main rivals and to push each other. Maybe, as someone wrote earlier, they're too involved in this to see objectively. I agree with everyone here who said that they need a coach who can give them his/her absolute best. I have no idea what Zoueva's game is, but she had no business making such statements about Tessa. It's not something she should discuss in the press, let alone before the end of the most important competition of the season.
    I never thought I'd say this at the beginning of what seemed to become a great season for them, but, like many of you, I'm glad it's over and they can rest for a bit. Also, while I'm incredibly proud of what they've achieved, I'm still terribly disappointed in what happened this week. From the stupid rumours about Tessa's problems and the added stress, to their mistakes in the SD, and to the way their beautiful programs have been perceived by the judges. Especially Carmen. The judges had the chance to give them the win in the FD and yet they didn't. 9,96 for Notre Dame in choreo says it all, I think. It's what they want ice dance to look like. This is the winning style. And if so, Tessa and Scott don't stand a chance next season. I just hope they stay true to themselves and continue on this path of artistic improvement which will be remembered, I'm sure.

Apologies if I sound a bit down... I guess I haven't recovered from the result just yet. I loved seeing the crowd on their feet, I was proud of Tessa and Scott, but it was still so, so sad.

27. Bournekraatzfan

Yes, that was so sweet. I got emotional just watching that moment...such tenderness and understanding between them. They really do love each other.

I hope they do Hallelujah, because it is my favourite EX they have ever done, and it is the kind of program that only they can do.

28. Bournekraatzfan

no apologies necessary. I appreciate your honest and thoughtful posts, and thank you for giving us special access to this event:)

29. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

You're very welcome. I was glad to share it with you all.

30. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Add another vote for ROAAAR!!! :D

I'm just happy they got through it and w/out anything even remotely close to Sasha's save of Yuko in the Pairs FS. Which BTW thanks to the coverage of Jr Hockey in Canada *and* the dominance of the London Knights in the OHL the last ten years, I've seen a *lot* of Knights hockey on TV. Now I thought I'd seen some great saves in that place, but nothing and I mean nothing will ever top that in the Amazingly Incredable Saves Dept History of that building.

I wish they'd decided to w/draw and allow Fabian the proper time needed for his Groin to heal. Just ask Elvis Stokjo about skating on a severely injured groin when he shouldn't have. I get they wanted to be here, but was the risk really worth it?

Also before anyone else brings it up....I said last night somewhere around here, but I'm sure it was in here, there's a big difference between Fabian's comeback and Kaitlyn's. Yes, Kaitlyn had a horrific injury, *but* hers only concerned bone and bone does heal faster than anything to do w/a severe injury to ligaments, tendons, nerves and muscles. When you've got a rare Orthopedic condition, which I've since discovered is actually an extremely rare form of Dwarfism, you tend to build up a wealth of unwanted knowledge about stuff like this.

Same here. As much as I'd love them to win another Worlds and Olympics, what they're trying to do out there on the ice will push the sport forward and be remembered and respected. That lasts longer than the titles and medals IMO. :)