Virtue and Moir # 26- There's no place like home

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I agree (and I think Scott would make a great coach someday). I really doubt Marina could create a team from scratch. Igor could, even if I wouldn't necessarily love their style. D&W already have their technical stuff down cold so she basically just had to create choreography this year. V&M are dealing with a chronic condition that involves changing their skating technique and training methods, and they have chosen to do new elements and need a coach to see that through. Basically, IMO Marina is in over her head.

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Well, that's a really lovely thing to hope.

3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

So why do you think so many teams chose to stay with her rather than go with Igor? If she is a weak coach, that makes no sense.

5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Who said she is weak? She isnt. She have power, childrens love her. And often ice dancers choose good choreo then technick.
    I think her young teams have problems now. Shibs for example.

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

That's a good question. I was shocked everyone stayed - perhaps out of comfort? Maybe it's only becoming apparent now. Igor was left to scramble and find a new home while everyone was starting to work on their programs. Only the teams with the least to lose (C&B and Lithuanians) went with him.

I will be absolutely flabbergasted if the Shibs at least do not leave.

7. horselover

horselover New Member

I usually lurk. But some of the sentiments in this thread have me puzzled. The rabid, anti-American prejudice....the total paranoia. I usually come to this thread because I have enjoyed watching V-M for years. I have enjoyed watching DW. I love both and would like fairness for both.

I am confused about the sentiments on this thread because:

A. Canada is doing very well in these championships and has much to be proud of and an amazing future. A bronze medal in pairs, a leading man and hopefully a leading lady. Even though I am not Canadian, I am excited about that. But when someone from my country (USA) does well, much hatred seems to spew out from some of these posters. Where is the maturity and goodwill?
    B. I have been to both threads (DW) and have not read any threads making fun of individual posters in this thread.
    C. I have followed this forum for a long time and I am very deeply disappointed in the maturity expressed here. I do hope this sort of thing does not spread.

tinypawsxxoo likes this.
  8. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

horse lover...What hostility to US skaters? None of us hate D/W, but we hate the fact they seem to be able to do no wrong even when they have obvious bobbles when the speed overtakes them. They may be fast, but that speed also nails them too at times, but nowhere do they get nailed for it. They were good last night, but that score calls for a performance like Kaitlyn and Andrew put out there last night. Meryl and Charlie didn't deserve that high of marks. I do agree they should be in the lead, but that far ahead? No.

And as for the Pairs event...Don't. Get. Me. Started!!! :mad:

9. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Of course someone would reduce this to anti-Americanism. Come on now, I love many American figure skaters, but Davis and White aren't on that list. That doesn't mean I hate your country. On the contrary, I do like it very much, fine people all around.

10. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

You obviously don't lurk enough or read nearly enough if you think this behaviour is only going on in this thread :rolleyes:

A. Canada is having a great championship so far and you´ll read lots of happy posts about that. If you aren't seeing that then you must not have access to all threads. This isn't about not being happy someone from your country is doing well, you are in a fan thread where people who are fans of V&M are disappointed with their results. Many of those aren't Canadians so this isn't about Canada vs US, it's about fans of individuals being disappointed.

B. Is this a case of semantics? Individuals vs collective group? Because it happens. Either you don't read enough or you don't have access to all areas.

C. There are some immature posts here in this thread, there are some hysterical posts as well. But those posts are everywhere on this board mixed in with all the other kinds of posts. Again you either don't read enough or don't have access to all areas of this board.

11. volunteer

volunteer Member

horselover, sorry you think people in this thread are expressing "rabid anti-American prejudice . . . total paranoia" because we are disappointed that our favorites did not do well and disagree with the judging. Whenever fans don't agree with the judging of their favorites, people seem to personalize it as hating their competitors. I can't speak for everyone, but there is no hatred for DW here, they are athletes like everyone else, all they can control is their skating, not the judges.

12. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

How do users distinguish a thread for talking about a particular skater from a skater "fan thread"? I mean, the Chan uber thread is specifically titled as such. This one isn't.

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Must add - Elena V. talked with Marina, why Tessa is so fat now. Maybe this maen havy to her.

14. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

True Susan, but I also believe all the threads for specific teams/skaters in The Trash Can Forum to be just that. Threads for the fans of those skaters to support them, chat about them and try to figure out what's going wrong when something is *very* wrong.

Don't understand why uber has to be on any of the skaters/teams thread title in here, as to me, it just simply goes w/out saying.

15. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Actually, it is a fan thread. It started out over 25,000 posts or so ago and has morphed into this current topic. The fact that it begins with Virtue and Moir should be a tip off to most regular posters around here. It's the same with the D/W topics -- it's a place for D/W fans/ubers to go and be safe and say all the things they want about V/M, PJ Kwong and Canada in general. And yes, I know this cause I read those topics as well.

16. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Facepalm. She asked her that? Seriously? Why this obsession with Tessa's weight, she's perfectly healthy.

17. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Can with stop bringing up the nationality thing. I'll like you to stop that too Pani when you sometimes say Canadians aren't being good to V/M. You don't have to love something/someone just cuz they're American, Canadian, or whatever. If that was the case I should be a D/W fan and not V/M since I'm American. I don't think it has to do with that.

I can't believe this! Tessa Virtue is not fat! She's not even big nor normal nor average size. She's tiny!

18. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I don't know. You' ve been around since 2004, maybe you can explain it to me.

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Elena V. in good relationships with a lot off coaches. So she just had chat with Marina and could ask everything.
    One more journalist Arthur Werner, who is in good item with Igor, all time post messages on his conference about Tessas weight.
    I dont know why they try to do this.

20. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Where is the anti-American sentiment? :confused:
    Some people here are fans of both V&M and D&W, and some are fans of just V&M. That doesn't mean that the latter group has anything against Americans (indeed, some of the people in this group are themselves American). I think the criticism here, for the most part, is directed at the skating and the scoring.

I understand that you are upset about some of the remarks here, but those posters are responsible for their own words and actions. The majority of people here, imo, do not engage in or encourage that kind of behaviour. I, too, follow both threads and have noticed that the nastiness is not confined to this one. Fortunately, those posters seem to be in the minority in both groups.

21. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thanks Melissa always the voice of reason. It makes me very sad that this ridiculous, stupid idea that Tessa is fat is becoming the popular belief now. I was just trying to rewatch the SD for the first time and the only comment I saw was that Tessa is too plump.

22. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Are you sure you're not blowing this out of proportions? Nobody in their right mind, least of all people who see Tessa at competitions, just a few steps away, could say that she has weight problems. We're talking about a very tiny girl here. She's fragile-looking even. She's thinner now than she was in Nice last year. If there are people who say those things about her, they cannot be taken seriously.

23. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I've seen it discussed elsewhere on the internet that the reason they have trouble with the lifts is because she's too heavy. But I agree with you that that suggestion cannot be taken seriously. I don't know the meaning in the article pani is talking about but to use a possible explanation. Today I heard a commentator describe the German pairs skating today in their FD as heavy and laboured and I know they weren't suggested Alyona go on a diet ;)

24. pani

pani Well-Known Member

No, thats what Werner post on his open conference and Elena V. in her blog. You could ask her in London why she think so :D
    Thats why i think bad for Tessa - so meny personal attack. And i cant understand, why Marina discuss this with her.
    But before WCh she said the same about Elena Iliynih.
    And i remeber people discussed this at GS. But hope Tessa didnt know about what her caich talking with journalists/

25. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

re: the levels

V&M hit all their levels in the SD at nationals and attained a level 4 on the SS in the SD at 4CC. All of that with a challenging piece of choreography composed of a variety of difficult transitions. I have also noticed an improvement in Tessa's choctaw this year and their outside mohawk. And their other turns are gorgeous. I think at the beginning of the season, they had the sustained one-foot section in the SS, going straight from a counter into a bracket into a double twizzle into a rocker. The added difficulty here lies in the fact that the exit edge of one turn becomes the entry edge of the subsequent turn (rather than having a change of edge or step in between turns). I think they figured out right away that the risk may not be worth it and changed it.
    Like IoanaC, I feel like the issue last night was nerves.

I also think the difficulty and intricacy of their choreography plays a significant role in their not being able to achieve their levels earlier in the season. Those transitions tire your legs out and make it more difficult to get balanced over your edge enough to get the clean edge calls (JMO). I feel like this FD is the kind of program that takes a full season to perfect, and I can't wait to see it on Saturday.

I think that is an excellent point.

26. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

oh look the sanctimonious d/w stans have decided to grace us with their presence! :saint:

thats because the fandom is so us centric its annoying

27. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

that's what i've been saying this season. this season feels like 2009 all over again, with tessa's leg problems plus having to do a style of program that's not their usual classical romantic style. and if v/m ends up with silver this time, all the more it's like 2009.

28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

In 2009 they were third at WCh. And this season V-M competed at every competition of the season.
    I think OG results could be very different from 2013 WCh. In 2009 WCh D-Sh and B-A were first and second and D-W evn didnt get medal in LA.
    So this will be good chance for teams from Russia in Sochi.

29. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I think a world championship is pressure-packed if you are the reigning champions. Add home ice and I think the pressure could be unbearable at times. I think it would have been easier for V/M and Chan if the competition was in another country. As a fan of both teams I see some ugly remarks but not many and that is good. I'm impressed with the uber threads at this site. Finally, if Tessa is overweight then I'm the Queen of England. With all of the problems we have with girls dieting to death the whole notion that this beautiful, fit woman is heavy is ridiculous. AND the mistakes in the SD were not hers alone. She needs to be protected; not hung out to dry.

30. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I would like someone to explain to me how this is fat: http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_...L.jpg?quality=80&size=810x&stmp=1363105338060 She's tiny.

Yes, Tessa does need to be protected rather than hung out to dry.