Virtue and Moir # 26- There's no place like home

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Mar 11, 2013.

1. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Why are the judges not rewarding this then? I don't get it.
  2. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

But aren't you the one overreacting to it?
  3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

CBC interviewed them. It was shown on the telecast. Maybe you were watching BOLD, which doesn't feature the fluff and interviews.

V&M are not as beloved in this country as B&K. But Patrick isn't as beloved in Canada as Kurt or Elvis either. I think it's the nature of the sport right now. However, V&M and Patrick are the clear stars of Skate Canada, but the spotlight is shared. For the USFSA, D&W are really the only stars they have. I mean, who else is USFSA gonna focus their attention on--Ross Miner?
  4. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

indeed! since they've been losing to d/w for pretty much of the season anyway, they could've just kept the original carmen, the way they did with PF to show artistic integrity--to prove that they can stretch their capabilities. then, next year for the OG, they can just switch back to a program similar to mahler in style and win it all.
  5. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Do you think it is because both V&M and Patrick train in the US?
  6. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

What did they say.

and this came in from Lynn rutherford. reporter from icenetwork... i know
    Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford
    Zoueva thinks VirtueMoir's twizzle error could be partially due to Virtue's new dress. Details to come in @Icenetwork recap #FSWorlds13
  7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

8. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I agree with volunteer though I didn't see the clip. If what they're describing is correct it makes them look like scaredy cats even though they might have been doing something else.
  9. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

Because it is so obvious (almost hitting you in the face), and most of the judges are at that age and are far-sighted? :lol:
  10. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

They did do an interview, actually, and they conducted themselves in a dignified manner. They were clearly disappointed and i wouldn't blame them if they skipped the interview, but they put on smiles and gave a couple of comments. Classy indeed.
  11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

How the fcuk could a dress, especially a short one, cause a twizzle error? That's embarrassing for a coach to say that... it better be one hell of an explanation. o_O
  12. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I watched it on my big screen TV and think people are overreacting to it.
  13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

People already think Tessa stopped at 4CC because she was scared, and that she doesn't even want to skate anymore, so whatever. Of course people will spin this as her being brainless two year old going la la la I'm covering my eyes so I must be invisible.
  14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Skating was a lot more popular back then. And while V&M's gold medal performance is still remembered, there were 12 other golds won by Canada at those Games--particularly one involving a bunch of men with sticks. But it's not like V&M are ignored. Skate Canada selected London for 10 Canadians and this year's Worlds for a reason.
  15. volunteer

volunteer Member

Um, no, don't understand why you're directing your question to me. I was asked to describe what they showed on the broadcast. My opinion is that CBC's interpretation of what they did was not flattering to VM.
  16. blueglass

blueglass New Member

That's because the judging shenanigans were never proven until Salt Lake City. Fans left the FS arenas in droves after that. I mean 17,000 plus watched Kurt, B&E, Josee and there are about 7000 in London to see V&M and Chan - Olympic and World Champions both. People still believe there is a lot of politics behind the marks and quite frankly we still can't prove there isn't.
  17. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

What do you mean? If it was the dress I'll be seriously pissed off cuz it's not even as nice as the other one.

Bmcg I'm not disputing what you're saying since I didn't even see it, I'm more basing my comments on other people's comments. I'll take your word for it that people are overreacting.
  18. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

maybe its because of her injury? maybe the changes made it easier for them to train?
  19. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I just don't see how in the world a dress could affect a twizzle unless it was a really long dress that the girl tripped. So if Marina said that, it makes it seem like she's giving a ridiculous excuse for the mistake, like the time Johnny Weir said he bombed Torino because he missed the bus and his aura turned black. And I think Sandhu once said something about ghosts in his hotel room? :lol: And it's embarrassing for a coach to make excuses like that on behalf of a skater.
  20. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Well I'm going to end this emotionally draining night on a positive: The last time V&M skated a Jennifer Swan program in a season people where obsessing over her legs they went on to win the Olympics so :cheer: ;)
  21. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

the dress might have been heavy with all that material but i don't think marina needs to make excuses for them.
  22. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

It is possible for the dress to cause a problem on the twizzles.
    This dress is slightly shorter but, more importantly, fluffier which can interfere with Tessa's ability to grab her skate cleanly (for the first set of twizzles).
  23. pani

pani Well-Known Member

del
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I think that's key. I'm not particularly concerned about next season.
  25. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Oh, i feel the same way about the particular posters you are referring to, you know I do. I just don't want sap5 lumped in with them, as they are a poster i feel is cognizant of the fact that our little community would like to use this thread to support V&M and I want sap5 to feel welcome here.
  26. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Hm, maybe I'm overreacting then if even another skater picked up on that. But I am sure Tessa will own her mistake and not blame it on the dress.

What were Tkachenko's other impressions? He's a great dancer, so I'd be really interested to know what he said about V&M, D&W, P&B, B&S, and I&K.
  27. Judy

Judy New Member

Hey guys just returned from the compeition. It is sport ... I agree about a different type of pressure and distractionand davis and white just did better tonight. Yes the title is lost but i expect to see an amazing carmen on saturday
  28. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

If the practice reports are to be believed, they've been having issues with their twizzles all week. So, why didn't Zoueva just now figure it out that it was due to the new dress?

Not that I particularly buy that theory.
  29. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

del
  31. Annizerat

Annizerat New Member

This sounds ridiculous. I hope that it isn't true, because it would be a stupid mistake by all the team that works with team. And the another dress worked better with the music!!
    Tessa can't be perfect all the time, everyone makes mistakes.
  32. pani

pani Well-Known Member

del
  33. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I am finally able to get on the Internet for a longer period of time since I arrived in London. And I was sad tonight after seeing the freedance live and wanted to come and connect with you VM Ubers - misery loves company?

A few things

I saw the practice today and it was so glorious seeing them in a less formal setting and just being able to see them live for that long! But I was worried because from what I could see - Tessa seemed so worried about the twizzle sequence and Scott seemed to be reassuring her a few times. Also the new dress is pretty but I definitely preferred the old one.

Like IonaC I was less impressed seeing D and W live. I have really enjoyed their short dance on my screen but live it was not as epic to me. That was true of the practice and tonight in competition.

However I am not bothered too much by DW's score because in all truth - if VM season's best for the SD was 75 - the score VM got tonight was generous. So it is all relative. Truthfully I thought VM would be lower with the mistakes / shakiness. It was good. It was lovely and I feel privileged to see them again. But it wasn't them at their best.

Watching it live - I have to say DW deserve to be in 1st place - and probably by about that amount.

I don't know what to hope the reason is for the less than their best though. I think they will feel terrible if it was the heavy dress that caused the issue because it could have been prevented and they will beat themselves up for the change. "If only we stuck with the other dress.."

On the other hand - I hope it isn't because Tessa's legs are just messed up more than we know. Because if that is the case - then that will be the case forever. They won't be able to beat DW who are so consistent if they can't do their own material the way they need to.

Another possible reason - the pressure of performing not only in front of their home country - but their home town.

And then I started wondering tonight on the bus back to the hotel if she was in a great deal of pain all season but persevered because of the home town Worlds. And then I started worrying they would call it quits after!

I just don't know what to think. But thank you to everyone in this thread because it feels better to be in here. I haven't gone to any of the other threads and I don't know if I will.

Here is what I am hoping. I am hoping it was just nerves and that the idea that it will be difficult if not impossible to win - that they will skate their free program with freedom and joy and hopefully no pain!
  34. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

no pani dont say that
    they're gonna skate the fd and they are going to OWN it
    even if they lose they are gonna go out there, bask in all the cheers and enjoy it
    it is they're last worlds no?
  35. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

So annoyed at the hypocritical people that post about V/M fans in other parts of this forum.
  36. walei

walei Well-Known Member

:respec: Last time Tessa and Scott were this far back after SD was in GPF 2011 where Scott fell, and then put up the best performance IMO of FF that season. I had bad vibes about them all week but now I'm starting to feel positive.
  37. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Lol his aura turned back that's seriously funny!
  38. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

The Russians are SO awesome in their support of V&M. Love him even more now.
    Love it. :lol:
  39. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

Totally agree!
  40. sequins

sequins New Member

Exactly. Skating is not as popular thanks in large part to the judging. But to imply we don't love V/M and Chan is beyond ridiculous. Skating fans in Canada adore them but yes there's less of them around then back in the Elvis days, but for anyone to say otherwise just because we show respect to others who perform well don't know what they are talking about and it ticks me off. We love Scott and Tessa and all our skaters and we want it so badly for them, but when life happens it breaks our hearts as much as it does theirs.Scott and Tessa got a great crowd reaction but obviously we knew the error so it was a little deflating and D/W skated first so we showed them respect, so what? Pani I really wish you would stop bashing Canada everytime things don't go the way you think they should. Again we love V/M so give it up.