Virtue and Moir # 26- There's no place like home

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Mar 11, 2013.

1. martyross

martyross Active Member

come on - come on - come on! We LOVE you, living legends! <3 Good luck!

2. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts Member

They ARE going to win. They have the skill, the material, and the strategy. It will all come together for them. This is the most exciting year in awhile!

3. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

You have said it kitty.

They will win......

4. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

practice starts now right? i hope someone uploads photos videos

5. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I haven't written much in this thread after the 4CC, and I haven't commented on what happened there. Actually, on the day of FD I was already on my way to Stockholm, to 'Art on Ice'. I must admit that I read about the results late Monday evening. I was so deep into anticipations of seeing my beloved Stephane Lambiel live for the first time, and I was really hoping that all went well for Tessa and Scott, but at the same time wary of finding out the results before the show just in case if they hadn't won, not wanting to spoil my great mood. But in the end my impatience got the best of me, although I must say it was not an easy task to read through the pages of Tessa and Scott thread on my ordinary (very ancient style) mobile phone. Of course, I was disappointed and worried about them, but please don't blame me for not allowing that to spoil my great event.

After returning home I was living in the memories of 'Art on Ice', watching and rewatching videos of Stephane and other skaters, but that didn't keep me from reading FSU and Tessa and Scott thread several times a day, and taking part in all the discussions here in my head :)D). Yes, I am that weird type of a fan - I follow everything that others have written in the V/M thread, think about it a lot, then instead of replying to someone for real, I kind of do it in my head, which in the end almost makes me forget that in reality I haven't written anything here for a long time :shuffle:.

As for the Worlds - I really do hope that they will have the two best performances of the season there. It would be especially great if they could finally show their FD to it's full potential. But my realistically ideal result would be them getting all level 4s in the SD (which they are capable of), winning it assuredly, then getting level 4 on one of their FD step sequences (which unfortunately seems less realistic), winning it if not assuredly, then by a hair's breadth, and winning overall. But if it's not possible for them to get level 4 on their FD step sequences as they are, and if that level will become what separates them from victory, so be it! I didn't want (and still don't want) them to change and compromise even more in order to get those levels anyway. I still believe that with two great performances they can win even without that level 4, although barely.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  6. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

well practices are very empty and many skaters aren't showing up. So far the dance practices have been uneventful. Pechelat/bourzat were the only ones in their group, the americans aren't there and with the way this is going, i don't know whether V/M will show up especially since their practice starts at 10:20 pm and they have an early one tomorrow...but we'll see.

7. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I actually think it's completely realistic for V/M to earn level 4's on their step sequences in the FD. This was a hard program to learn and perfect, given that unlike some who reuse the same things season after season, they had all new elements and moves. It's all about peaking now, for this competition. One thing we should all know by now: If V/M have a full season, they'll be ready in the end for whatever the big event is. We've just got to have faith in them that they can do this.

8. skatingfan12

skatingfan12 New Member

9. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

10. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

Jackie wong is an american figure skating blogger who does alot of live commentary on twitter. He says he is unbiased however he's predicted D/W will win the world championships for the past 3 years. He tends to support the americans, obviously, and doesn't seem to like chan much...

BTW no tessa and scott at monday practice

11. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I'll be at the afternoon practice tomorrow and, if Tessa and Scott are there, you can count on me for the report.:)

I love the title of the thread!

12. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Holy moly I can't believe we're in the new thread already! I hope all you lucky guys there right now are enjoying it and we will be expecting your reports (looking at you pezazzz and Ioana and Judy and everybody else). Unlike previous competitions I'm feeling very calm and not really full of anticipation like I usually am. I just want two amazing performances and whatever happens I'm proud of themÂ…good luck to them!

Also Ioana, go to the press conferences too please!

13. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I'm super nervous. I worry that I won't be able to enjoy the competition live. I have so much work this week.

14. aka_gerbil

For all of the hand-wringing and worrying I've done basically since worlds last year, I'm in the same boat with you. I went to bed last night fretting, but when I woke up this morning, I felt entirely different. Call it a feeling. ;) I'm now going to turn, spit, and curse like Toby Ziegler would instruct me to.

15. elle123

elle123 Member

I've read a few of his articles and I tend to believe that he's pretty unbiased (he does work for an American publication so, understandably, he has to show the Americans some love). I remember he wrote an article defending V/M when there were allegations that all of their programs were romantically-themed and lacked range ( http://www.examiner.com/article/range-a-word-or-three-on-virtue-and-moir ). I don't recall him disliking Chan, though.

16. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

If you can go to the press conferences are you plz plz able to record and upload them?! Thank you :)

17. aka_gerbil

The Examiner is sort of a gray area. It's more of a pro-am for journalism. It's owned by a company, but the platform is pretty much blog-like. I don't think there's a lot of oversight. At the end of the day, he's pretty much just another fan with a blog, like Aunt Joyce.

18. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new thread, martyross, and thanks for providing the title, The Accordion.

lauravvv, it is great to see you posting again, and I am glad you had a good time at Art On Ice. It must have been quite an experience to see your favourite skater live. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on worlds!

thanks for the update! I hope you enjoyed the practice. How did P&B look?

I like Jackie Wong and feel the same way elle123 does. I think he actually takes time to go through and understand the rules. I believe he is a former figure skater. In addition to the piece elle123 mentioned, he also thought that V&M were the more artistic team and defended their WC win last year, saying he felt they should have had a greater lead in the SD and less of a lead in the FD. I, too, am surprised to see G&P listed as the predicted 10th place finishers. There are so many strong teams in the field. Anyways, should be exciting!

IoanaC, I didn't know you were going! I hope you have a wonderful time this week and I look forward to your reports:)

19. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Omigoodness I leave for London tomorrow night! :cheer: :cheer: (Have to teach for a full day first and then take the red eye! )

So here are my 2 schools of thought.
    When I went to the Olympics there were hopes that Virtue and Moir might win - but also a lot of thoughts about why they might not.

For now I will focus the VM/DW aspect of that competition.
    All year Bollywood seemed to be everyone's favourite OD and so many people complained about VM flamenco being not flamenco enough, not Canadian enough, too difficult for them to do well. Then V and M brought Farrucas up to the level it was aiming for all season and no one knew it could reach and the unthinkable happened - Farrucas beat Bollywood. All year people had been talking about DW having the better, higher scoring OD and then V and M reached their peak and they beat them. And watching again and again I am just amazed at what they were able to do with that exceptionally difficult dance with Tessa in so much pain.

Then the freeskate. DW did a tremendous job and scored so much higher than freeskates had been scoring all year. Even with the lead VM had with the CD and OD it seemed D and W may have earned such a high score as to overtake them. Then Mahler and VM scored even higher.

All this with a very physically challenged Tessa.

So 1 part of me thinks they can do it again. They can surprise those who have written them off by peaking at the exact right time and obtaining their levels while skating the amazing Carmen.

But there is another part or me that recognizes that the perception of the 2 teams in the judges' minds has changed immeasurably since 2010 and that the momentum is in DW favour with no losses to VM since Worlds last year and consistently higher PCS marks.There seems to be a new love for speed and power that trickles into all the PCS marks. And even though there are those of us who believe Carmen to be a superior program - that certainly does not seem to be the case with judges. In addition - there are many who may be influenced by the idea that DW should have won last year.

Bottom line? I didn't know going into the Olympics how it would end up. I did love the results! However, had it ended up differently the fact was I still got to be in the arena to see those 2 skates.

I am unbelievably honoured to have seen those 2 programs. And for me they were magic - as was Valse Triste at Skate Canada (pretty much didn't breathe) as was Umbrellas at Canadians (I cried) as was the first time I saw them skate in person -their Russian Folk dance at Nationals.

I would love for them to win for them. And because I would love to see their excellence recognized as the strongest in the World.

But when I am there I am just going to do my best to take in the magic - and enjoy what is very much more than likely the last time I will ever see them skate competitively.

I will bring Kleenex!

20. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

great post, The Accordion!
    I am sure this will be an incredible experience for you and everyone else in the arena. It's cool that so many people from this thread are attending. I am so excited for you all!:)

21. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

The Accordion I hope you have a great time. That part in your post about it being the last time you will see them competitively and you just wanting to enjoy it, almost made me tear up. I think it started with this new montage Martiza just shared today and it made me nostalgic&#8230;next season is gonna be really hard.

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Me too, because i saw them last time already "live" :(
    But i didnt saw them "live" before 2010 WCh and the skated great, so fingers crossed for clean skating!
    The Accordion!, i hope you is V-M lucky charm ;) Enjoy every minute of WCh, not only V-M. Nothing could be compared with WCh - so many fans from different countries, so many skaters and coaches, and fan-zone - amazing! :D And look, like crowd is already amazing - SO for Patrick!

IoanaC, Yeeess! :kickass: Cant wait your reports! Have a great time!
    Guys, Ioana coudnt upload videos, because hournalists coudnt do this or she could never have accreditation again.

Blumberg at 4CC was with Zhukivsi, who alwayse support canadians and guys from GB - tow voice against one Blumberg ;)
    Its funny, but V-M with Marie only one time had bonus - at last year WCh.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  23. vmfan82

vmfan82 New Member

24. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

PEZazzz, thank you for the practice report and since I will be popping in and out of the thread I want to thank all the rest of the FSUer's attending Worlds for their reports as well.

I also hope everyone who gets to see Tessa and Scott live really enjoys the experience and being at Worlds in general.

ITA with those who feel that V&M have everything they need to win the competition but we know that at times they have no control over what it is the judges decide to do. Components marks these days do seem synonymous with speed so what I really want is for Tessa and Scott to end their season by skating two amazing performances that they and their hometown audience can really be proud of no matter what happens.

gerbil, I'll do a *turn, spit, curse* right along with you.

Good Luck guys! :)

25. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Accordion,
    You said it so well. I too remember how things were after 4CC per Olys in 2010 and the tightness in the chest at that time....
    I leave tonite and am going to enjoy to the fullest. Hope they have the competition they want and are on top of the world like they should be.

26. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

If I can't record the press conf I'll do my best to tell you everything that has been discussed.
    I believe in them and they certainly can win this. I want to.enjoy every second, despite the nerves (hope I'll be able to:) )

27. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

@ BourneKraatzfan P/B looked good. They some trouble with the twizzles during their run-through ( bourzat fell), that seemed to take a little steam out from them. But they looked strong and had private ice ! W/P also looked good.

28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you for reports! :)
    Hope you have fun.

29. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Just like Dorothy and her magic red shoes saying "there's no place like home" I too am hoping that our V/M stay in their magic bubble while they are "at home". I'm getting so excited just to read the reports here at FSU and to watch it all live at home. Yeppers, there IS no place like home.

Tessa & Scott -- regardless of what the judges do or say or give, you'll always be champions to me. You're the reigning Olympic Champions! a golden couple.

30. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

On my way to practise rink to watch pairs and dance today. I'll try to post when we get back to the hotel.