Virtue and Moir 25: Road to home

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ofdarkness

ofdarkness New Member

Not just so far, the rest of it too. I did enjoy some parts though. Marina remains hilarious :D

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I have to admit the documentary about the Alberta tar sands shown on CBC prior to the skating doc was more fascinating. And the preview for next week's doc on dog owners living in the city sounds more intriguing too. Oh well, I wasn't expecting an Oscar winner so I'm always glad to see any skating. And Rudy in his underwear.

OMG, skating is so hard!!!

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Details plz? Or was it that boring that there's nothing to say? :rofl: :( Did it break down how they created Funny Face at least?

4. sequins

sequins Active Member

V&M honestly weren't on that much 5-10 minutes,. It seemed like old news since it focused on last season. Paige and Rudy seemed to be on alot and Patrick more than V&M. But maybe it was just me expecting more. While it wasn't awful it was disappointing but typical and in retrospect about what I would've expected.

5. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Do you think Chan is not winning anymore because his federation dumped him and therefore stopped trying to promote the belief he would be invincible? If so, this should be good news for Tessa and Scott's fans because Skate Canada can throw all their support behind V/M now.:D

I pesonally agree with you that V/M are more musical than Chan but I'm not sure musicality is that high on the judges' list of criteria in differentiating between skaters. There is no program component named musicality, skaters are supposed to prove themselves in figure skating competitions, not musicality contests and the members of the panels of judges assessing those skaters are not musicians by formation, they are just former athletes themselves, I guess. Yes, V/M's elements are at the maximum difficulty but so are the elements of their rivals, their GOEs are just as high and they don't usually make mistakes. But perhaps V/M's fans who also seem to love Tessa and Scott's main rivals why they do.;)

Honestly, I haven't seen any huge point advantage for Chan this season where his rivals have upped their technical level and he has stagnated.:( His scores have been pretty much the same as last season but obviously not high enough anymore for him to win.

This.

As someone pointed out earlier - I think it was aka_gerbil - Tessa and Scott at 4CC in the free dance were outGOE-ing their rivals up until they had to stop their performance because of Tessa's leg cramp. If V/M can hit their levels at Worlds, skate uninterruptedly and maintain the speed till the end, they will win the event. If there are people who don't believe that the stoppage affected V/M's components mark in any way, they should check the PC scores of other skaters who went through the same unpleasant experience such as Takahashi at 2011 Worlds in the free skate.

6. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Well that's disappointing. I guess there's nothing really for me to look forward to then?

7. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I had to laugh at Scott's comment about his english deteriorating being with Marina so much :lol:. Next he'll be speaking with a Russian accent.

8. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Ok after much fiddling I was able to learn how to post from IPAD to smugmug.

miriamdcunha.smugmug.com
    Tahiti folder you will find the VM banner.

Sorry I should have made a separate folder but didnt.

If I have a chance I will take some pics at worlds and post on a worlds folder now that I think I can do it.... hope so anyway.

9. m_chenning

m_chenning New Member

From "Budweiser Gardens"

:(

---
    Happy women's day! :) It's too cute not to share ;): after 4cc russian fans from LJ sent flowers to cheer T-S up. And in an interview for russian site Tessa mentioned this.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I think it was a combination of things... his mistakes are catching up to him and his rivals are improving rapidly especially Fernandez. That makes it harder to sell that he's so good that he can beat anyone. I mean he is good but if he has a fall or two can he really beat someone who has 3 quads and good presentation? OTOH I see V&M being the most improved ice dancers in terms of program content... from my perspective it is they who are widening the gap between them and their rivals with their outrageously difficult FD and pure blade power.

I do think if Chan finishes off the podium SC will be more supportive of V&M. :shuffle:

Well there is an interpretation mark. But I guess you are right, and I find it amazing especially in ice dancing where this should be at the forefront.

Others may get level 4 but not all level 4 are created equal. The lifts in Carmen are much more challenging than lifts like I&K's, plus they are new (not just variations on old lifts but really new types of lifts we haven't really seen before). I really haven't seen dance lifts where the guy throws the girl in the air, or she enters from a backflip and then changes positions so many times (this being FSU, someone will contradict me by finding some :lol: but it must be rare if it's been done).

Totally agree, and I think they will do these things. I also think Carmen is difficult enough and their skating good enough that they should be able to absorb a mistake or a lost level and still win - but I'd rather they do it in grand style. ;)

11. Proustable

Proustable New Member

The lifts in Carmen are insane. Like legitimately crazy difficult. I remember watching Pink Floyd and being agog at what they were doing. Carmen is on another level entirely. The rotational lift..... I can't get over how difficult that lift is. The backflip entry, the rotation speed, the change in position. And it's so perfect for that exact moment. It simultaneously feels too difficult to actually be done but of course it needs to be done because it's such a perfect expression of that music at that time.

Musicality: Well....

The choreography component

" Unity – purposeful threading of all movements
    A program achieves unity when: every step, movement, and element is motivated by the
    music.
    As well, all its parts, big or small,
    seem necessary to the whole, and there is an
    underlying vision or symbolic meaning that
    threads together the entire composition. "

Every aspect of interpretation involves music

The performance component
    " Physical, emotional, and intellectual involvement
    In all skating disciplines each skater must be physically committed, sincere in emotion,
    and equal in comprehension of the music and in execution of all movement. "

"Individuality/personality
    Style is the distinctive use of line and movement as inspired by the music.
    Individuality/personality is a combination of personal and artistic preferences that a
    skater/pair/couple brings to the concept, manner, and content of the program. "

So it's not at the forefront by any means, but I'd argue that it's still significant.

12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yes! I remember thinking the same about Pink Floyd. If you watch the British Eurosport version, the commentators are all :eek: about the goose. And then the next year they repeat the goose, but with a really difficult jump and twist exit, and I was like, damn. And now they've totally graduated. Those were like their training wheels lifts. :D

The lifts in Carmen are so amazing for exactly the reason you said... they are crazy difficult, but they're not difficult for the sake of being difficult, they actually punctuate the music perfectly. I mean a lot of ice dancers are doing well if they can even get the lift on the big crescendo of the music. V&M literally have every position change, every part of the lift to the beat of the music, especially the one where he tosses her in the air. That kind of timing is just incredible.

13. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Skate Canada had told me that I should give them the banner and they will hang it.
    It will be really sad if I am denied the opportunity.
    Oh well I will just have to take it to nats next year!

15. whoa

whoa Member

16. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

that is so sweet, m_chenning. What a lovely gesture. Thank you for sharing that.

I was thinking the same thing, Cherub. They have always had incredible basics, but they have noticeably improved them in the last couple of years (I am thinking it might be the change in technique). Their power is unreal. And I love that they have choreo that shows off this power--they don't need crossovers to gain speed, they just create it from nothing/nowhere and their stroking efficiency is just superb. Their programs are punishing in terms of transitions--i really am blown away.

17. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

That was a nice clip! I hope they take that inspiration into this coming competition!

Also, that little foot stomp totally reminded me of Kurt Browning. :)

18. Bournekraatzfan

Thanks for the links, MaoFan7 and whoa.

I really hope everything works out with the banner, Emdee.

Wishing you and the others a safe trip to worlds.

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks! I remeber. how i didnt watch Jeff, because i was sure Joubert won gold and then foumd Buttle won WCh :D
    "Ararat" is one of my favorite LPs in men FS.

20. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Sad :( Dont know why they didnt let to bring banners. Maybe Emdee could hold it in her hands?
    Sad. Its so nice to see all this banners at competitions. And i think skaters happy to see this kind of support.

And i am happy T-S feel so much support youtside Canada. Eslesially from the land of first OGM in ice dance.

21. elle123

elle123 Member

I remember watching Jeff skate that program and it was absolutely inspirational, especially considering he had just lost his Canadian title to Patrick. I think in a way, that loss motivated him. Here's hoping the same happens to Scott and Tessa :) Can't believe we're only a week away from their last appearance (as competitors) at Worlds!

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its sad, but i am happy we have chance to see them at this WCh, because they could not compete after 2010. Thanks them for this WCh and for "Carmen".
    I read there will be big fan zone in London. I am envy all. who will be there :D Have a safe trip and have fan! Wish you all skaters show there best - this made WCh special competition!

23. marikat

marikat Active Member

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Bournekraatzfan

It's one of my favourites, too. The music is beautiful and the choreography is insanely difficult. He also has tremendous musicality.

Here's hoping:)

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

26. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I must say i like this two parts i could watch. Cant wait to see next.
    Maybe because i just like everything about FS and for me it was interesting to see, how skaters work during off-season.

28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Guys, SC we will be streaming official practice sessions on Monday, March 11 and Tuesday, March 12, live from Budweiser Gardens

Live streaming of practices is available in Canada only.

29. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Where did you see this?

30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I get email from SC. I have pay access for this season, but couldnt watch practcie because of geoblock :( But hope someone will see and maybe could upload videos.