Virtue and Moir 25: Road to home

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Sahararainfall

Sahararainfall New Member

Yes, there are many beautiful dancers with their own style and look, but I wish some have better dance technique because it will make their program more enjoyable , but I would acknowledge that personal preference does play a role in our idea of a good dancer. I am not expert by any means, but whatever socioeconomic or sociocultural influences that shaped my perception of a good dancer, I do think VM's dance technique is superior than most and wish others would work on theirs, no matter the style.

2. Sahararainfall

Sahararainfall New Member

It does look like J. Thayer's article. Like I said, I am cynical about this writer already, with her history of bringing down VM's strengths and now hyping up the 2nd Canadian ice dance team, the motivation is kind of suspect. I am probably being unfair but I can't help it. :)

Anyway, never mind her, looking forward to the revamped W/P's program as well. I hope they can execute their version of modern dance well.

3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

4. whoa

whoa Member

5. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

That's more-or-less what I was going to say. There are many different styles of dance, but good dance techinque is something separate from style. Good dance technique is a foundation for performing the many different styles of dance well.

6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

7. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

sahararainfall and gerbil, the two of you summed it up perfectly.

The issue is not that the teams present different styles of dance (programs that are ballroom in origin aren't the only "correct" style) but that in some cases the basic skating/technique is not what it should be. And the ISU does seem to be overlooking that technique; it seems to make up only a very small percentage of the mark. Heck in many cases this quad that proper technique doesn't seem to count at all.

I don't even have an issue with the overall theme and choreography of W&P's FD, just that it seemed more like a skeleton of a program. Something seemed to be missing and parts of the dance needed to be filled in. I hope that despite having to deal with Kaitlyn's surgery and recovery, team W&P had time to make the changes that were planned pre injury. W&P are one the teams I can't wait to see at Worlds. I hope they and V&M are able to really bring it in their home country. I always feel happy for skaters when they are able to experience Worlds at home, stress of wanting to do well in front of their countrymen aside.

8. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

This 100%.

It does seem as if Skate Canada has finally gotten with the program but it shouldn't have taken them this long to promote and speak up on behalf of their Olympic and World champions.

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

In D-W ubers upset about rumors Bowns could be in tech pannel at WCh.
    But happy Judy Blumberg will be tech assis. How this could be - both teams will have there people in tech pannel, but no judge for Canada in ice dance.
    Thats why i am not sure SC know, how to work for there skaters. I think at WCh Cnadian judge was only in Nice.
    And no Canadian judge in men competiions.

Me too.

10. iNap

iNap Active Member

look like you are more worry than D-W ubers :rofl:

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I don't know who suggested it but I would go with "London Calling."

Agree... it's missing the "connective tissue" like Swan says (even though I think that analogy is gross :lol:). I love Allison Holker of SYTYCD, their choreographer, so I was quite disappointed when I didn't like their program. Interesting, well placed lifts, but nothing else really struck me as "dance." It is damn hard to translate modern dance to the ice. S&S did it successfully with Pina.

Who? I gather he or she is Canadian?

12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Marie Bowns. Yes, she is from Canada. But she was at GPF this season, so I am not sure she will be at WCh. But Blumberg is huge DW
    fan and VM hater.she's

13. iNap

iNap Active Member

Marie hate DW so this all equal now :rofl: Dostatni love Igor and hate everyone so C-B will win. This result already decided now time to go on vacations :D

14. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

:yawn: You've been telling the same joke now for 80 posts.

15. iNap

iNap Active Member

It is good thing you pay attention ;)

nylynnr and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

17. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts Member

Our beloved team will win! Keep the faith everyone. For those of you going to Worlds, give an extra cheer from those of us watching at home. Your energy will help them bring home the Gold! I cannot wait to watch and see you all cheering for them. The debates of late have certainly guaranteed that the 2 dance events will be super super exciting!

18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes. I hope so. And I hope we will see more in this movie, than we already saw.
    I think a lot off FAIrs will go to see WCh live.

19. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Hard to ignore the annoying child who keeps screaming "look at me, look at me" and all you want to say is "stfu, I've already seen you do the same thing multiple times already" :p

20. iNap

iNap Active Member

I'm sorry your child is annoying to you :(

21. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

OT, but I was just watching CBC and caught part of a Rogers Nextbox ad (cable controller/PVR, can be controlled from your phone). Couples talking, one of the women saying how you can manage your PVR content with Nextbox 2.0, she turns to one of the men and says "...like your figure skating videos", and he replies "...well...actually it's ice dancing". ;) :D

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

23. Sonata

Sonata Member

I noticed that ad this morning too and what's really funny about it is that when they do a closeup of the screen, it turns out that it's not ice dancing - it's pairs!

24. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

What about "The Homecoming"?

25. flowerpower

Well, I guess the people who made the ad don't know a whole lot about figure skating...but at least it's acknowledged in a mainstream, mass-market ad. A man and a woman skating together - must be ice dancing! :lol:

26. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

You guys might like to know that FSU is quoted as one of the sources for Ice, Sweat and Tears!

Scroll down & it's on the right hand side of the page!

27. flowerpower

Interesting!

28. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

So much to catch up on! So many great posts! rainbowkisses and Skittl1321, that was an interesting discussion and I wonder if you might be interested in exploring the topic of figure skating, cultural performance+representation further in the OTBT section of the board.

WELCOME PEZazzz and Barbie! I hope you enjoy participating in this board:)

Emdee, clarie, Scrufflet, The Accordion, Daniskates93 and Corianna, I hope you all have an amazing time at worlds!!! I can't wait to see the banner, Emdee. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Best wishes to all the skaters competing this weekend!

Question:

What are you most interested in or excited to see in tessa&scott's performances this wkd? (improvements you would like to see and/or things you can't get enough of)

I am most looking forward to seeing these two feel the embrace of the friends and family and fans and soak in all the positive energy in that arena.

ETA: thanks for the link, professordeb:)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  29. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

30. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

so far ice sweat and tears is disappointing.